Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
i have all the apollo games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

apollo justice is good, or at least the first case is which is the only case I remember

also something about a guy with noodles for hair

trucy is cute

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

TV Zombie posted:

Doe the Apollo Justice game count as well? I normally associate AA with Phoenix.

it's the fourth mainline AA game out of five.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Apollo Justice has the best first case and that's about it. Second case is alright, third is pretty bad and the finale is really unsatisfying and confusing. Also Apollo has basically nothing to do with the actual plot because Capcom really wanted Phoenix back, so he's the star of the show even though he's a side character.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Just play Ghost Trick instead

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
So I'm bargain bin diving and have found a few titles I was interested in for fairly low prices. What's the goonpinion on:

Chibi-Robo Zip Lash: This looked super cute from all the Nintendo Directs, and I can get it for a discount on Amazon for like 22 bucks, which sounds like a nice deal. Metacritic has mostly positive user reviews, but middling professional ones, so I'm not sure.

Codename: Steam: I'd wanted to pick this one up sooner, and the premise sounds cool, but I'd heard the initial reception being kinda lukewarm once it came out. Now that folks have been able to reflect on it, is it worth 19 dollars?

If nobody has strong reccomendations for either of these, I'm probably defaulting to Theathrythm: Curtain Call because I am a Final Fantasy whore and that too is 20 bux.

BottledBodhisvata fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Nov 20, 2015

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

BottledBodhisvata posted:

So I'm bargain bin diving and have found a few titles I was interested in for fairly low prices. What's the goonpinion on:

Chibi-Robo Zip Lash: This looked super cute from all the Nintendo Directs, and I can get it for a discount on Amazon for like 22 bucks, which sounds like a nice deal. Metacritic has mostly positive user reviews, but middling professional ones, so I'm not sure.

Codename: Steam: I'd wanted to pick this one up sooner, and the premise sounds cool, but I'd heard the initial reception being kinda lukewarm once it came out. Now that folks have been able to reflect on it, is it worth 19 dollars?

If nobody has strong reccomendations for either of these, I'm probably defaulting to Theathrythm: Curtain Call because I am a Final Fantasy whore and that too is 20 bux.

I enjoy project steam, and the marth amiibo unlock is neat and balanced. That said its 1000% harder if you play it and don't use your super powers liberally. And some elements are not executed well such as aiming at tiny poo poo.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

My starter the game picked a Riolu and Milhouse Froakie is is best pal. This is a good game. This is a Super game.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I'm having a lot of fun with Chibi Robo. It's basically a cute Bionic Commando that lets you jump.

You also can collect real life snacks to give to hungry toy people.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Curtain Call loving rules. I've spent very little time with the Final Fantasy series but as a pure rhythm game it's super fun and there's more than 200 songs plus some great DLC from stuff like Nier, Chrono Trigger and TWEWY, I've put more than 20 hours into it and still haven't played every song.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Theatrhythm is one of the best games on the 3ds and perhaps the best portable rhythm game since EBA. Your (bravely, heh) default was the best choice

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Yeah, those two games aren't bad, but comparing them with Curtain Call won't do them any favors. Prioritize Curtain Call, then get whichever ones you'd like play after.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Fawf posted:

Curtain Call loving rules. I've spent very little time with the Final Fantasy series but as a pure rhythm game it's super fun and there's more than 200 songs plus some great DLC from stuff like Nier, Chrono Trigger and TWEWY, I've put more than 20 hours into it and still haven't played every song.

I've put more than 200 hours into it and I still haven't cleared every song on every difficulty, although that's partially since I played a lot of multiplayer which didn't count towards clears.

If you're a fan of FF and its music, that game is pretty much a dream come true.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Kanfy posted:

I've put more than 200 hours into it and I still haven't cleared every song on every difficulty, although that's partially since I played a lot of multiplayer which didn't count towards clears.

If you're a fan of FF and its music, that game is pretty much a dream come true.

I don't actually like most of the Final Fantasy games, but the music is good enough to stand on it's own merits for a rhythm game. Love the hell out of Theatrhythm.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

ChaosArgate posted:

Apollo Justice has the best first case and that's about it. Second case is alright, third is pretty bad and the finale is really unsatisfying and confusing. Also Apollo has basically nothing to do with the actual plot because Capcom really wanted Phoenix back, so he's the star of the show even though he's a side character.
I did like how in the finale when you go into the past all the graphics and music change to the style of the GBA games, that was pretty cool.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Curtain Call's 200 "songs" are 90-second excerpts and most of them aren't actually that fun to play.

I'm still probably going to buy the Dragon Quest one if it gets localized though, even though I don't know a single DQ song.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Armor-Piercing posted:

Curtain Call's 200 "songs" are 90-second excerpts and most of them aren't actually that fun to play.

I'm still probably going to buy the Dragon Quest one if it gets localized though, even though I don't know a single DQ song.

What are you even talking about, most of the tracks in the game are around two minutes long with some being longer and a few being shorter which is pretty much the perfect length for a game like that. And that's not what "excerpt" means either as most of them cover the tracks in their entirety and often more than once especially with the older games that had shorter loops.

While there are some tracks that could definitely be longer, for the majority of them increasing the length would only mean that they looped more. How would that be an improvement? :confused:

Also while I like DQ and they have some really good tracks like Heavenly Flight, I've always found the majority of the music in them pretty forgettable. It's never bad and but most of the time it's kind of generic.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

My problem with the game is i only think BMS is fun. Now, if every song had been a BMS I would've probably never been able to put Curtain Call down. Alas...

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Volt Catfish posted:

My problem with the game is i only think BMS is fun. Now, if every song had been a BMS I would've probably never been able to put Curtain Call down. Alas...

The only ones I'm not a fan of are the airship ones because the angle in them is kind of annoying, but fortunately there's only one of them per game if that. Also the timing requirement for criticals in the Event tracks is insanely strict, it's legit easier to All Critical many normal tracks on Ultimate than it is to do the same with most Event tracks on Basic.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

TV Zombie posted:

Doe the Apollo Justice game count as well? I normally associate AA with Phoenix.

Apollo Justice counts. :colbert: I like Apollo Justice.

Mystery Dungeon impressions! The game gives you a personality quiz like the non-Gates games, but! you can choose your starter afterwards if you don't like what the game gives you! This is the best feature. Also the game will recommend you a partner as well, but you can tell that Pikachu to gently caress right off, Froakie is my best friend, drat it!

I'm playing as Fennekin. Oh! There are move changes! Ember is 2 range, Psybeam hits 4 tiles away from you. Wish I'd known that in the tutorial dungeon. I feel like a goober. Check moves as you learn them, looks like they changed them up a bunch!

Anyway, I like the mechanics changes so far a lot, but I haven't gotten very far at all yet. Froakie hasn't even joined my party yet, the bum!

Oh, and the game asks you whether you'd describe yourself and your partner as Cool or Cute, which I think determines their gender? I picked cute for both, obviously.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Silver Falcon posted:

Oh, and the game asks you whether you'd describe yourself and your partner as Cool or Cute, which I think determines their gender? I picked cute for both, obviously.

That's how animal crossing does it, too. Sounds like a legit assumption.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Boys can be cute, drat it.

gameface
Nov 23, 2007

Doug Dinsdale posted:

Japan just added Hello Kitty badges, plus some other hyper-popular-over-there Sanrio characters like Kero Kero Keroppi, their pudding dog, Kira Kira Kids (or something like that), etc.

When I saw Kira Kira Kids, the first thing I thought of was Kirby's Star Stacker, more specifically the SFC version that never got localized. I have a feeling that's not what you mean though.

Also speaking of badges, one of the Pikmin app launcher sets is really drat close to making me break my free run. I've got app launchers for the Software and Activity Log from the Mario and Friends set, and just today with my 1 free play (I'm actually really bad at this grabber thing apparently) got ones for the eShop and Mii Maker from a Pushmo set. However, none so far for the StreetPass Plaza, and the Pikmin one looks really good for it. I guess right now I'm just feeling like free play is extremely restrictive, certainly more than the Pokémon F2P games or probably even Steel Diver. (I haven't tried Steel Diver, so I'm not sure.) If anything in Nintendo's F2P catalog deserves the moniker of "Free to Start", it's this.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Kanfy posted:

What are you even talking about, most of the tracks in the game are around two minutes long with some being longer and a few being shorter which is pretty much the perfect length for a game like that. And that's not what "excerpt" means either as most of them cover the tracks in their entirety and often more than once especially with the older games that had shorter loops.

While there are some tracks that could definitely be longer, for the majority of them increasing the length would only mean that they looped more. How would that be an improvement? :confused:
Right, sorry, so some of them are 90-second excerpts and some of them are a 30-second loop repeated three times. Either way, it's kind of unsatisfying to play because it just fades out at the end and feels unfinished. You're right that increasing the number of repetitions of a loop wouldn't help anything though. Still, I bought the Kaine track from Nier, for example, which is only 3:04 to begin with, and they cut it in half for the game. That's not a song, it's half a song.

I disagree that 2 minutes is a "perfect length" for rhythm game songs, too. I don't think the songs being too long is a common complaint leveled against any rhythm games that use 3-4 minute tracks, like the Hatsune Miku games. To me, the short length just adds to the feeling that I'm not playing a whole song, even though, like you've said, in some cases you're actually playing it several times in that 2 minutes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I disagree that rhythm games are good

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

that's hosed up

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

you bring feeling to my life

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Armor-Piercing posted:

Right, sorry, so some of them are 90-second excerpts and some of them are a 30-second loop repeated three times. Either way, it's kind of unsatisfying to play because it just fades out at the end and feels unfinished. You're right that increasing the number of repetitions of a loop wouldn't help anything though. Still, I bought the Kaine track from Nier, for example, which is only 3:04 to begin with, and they cut it in half for the game. That's not a song, it's half a song.

I disagree that 2 minutes is a "perfect length" for rhythm game songs, too. I don't think the songs being too long is a common complaint leveled against any rhythm games that use 3-4 minute tracks, like the Hatsune Miku games. To me, the short length just adds to the feeling that I'm not playing a whole song, even though, like you've said, in some cases you're actually playing it several times in that 2 minutes.

I don't understand how you can agree that increasing the amount of loops wouldn't help anything yet at the same time still claim that the tracks in general are too short. As far as the majority of them goes what you're asking for is literally impossible as the only way to lengthen them would be to loop them. And I like other rhythm games like EBA, Ouendan and Project Diva also, but those games almost exclusively do full-length songs that have a clear start point, progression and end point. Trying to stick video game music that was designed to loop in the background into that same mould would simply not work, which is why songs being too short is also not a common complaint leveled against Theatrhythm.

Either way, I fully agree with your complaint that some of the game's full-length songs are cut unnecessarily short, but I disagree that it's a major issue with the game as a whole as those songs don't represent most of the game's selection. Besides while tracks like Kaine should definitely play in their entirety, other tracks like One-Winged Angel and Good King Moggle Mog XII do in fact play for their full length, so even amongst those songs it's not a completely universal issue.

All that aside shorter tracks do have their upsides too. As someone who consistently messes up perfect clears right at the end, it's about a thousand times less painful in a shorter CC track than it is in a longer Project Diva one. :v:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Agreed, they're great.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The real bargain-bin rhythm game gem is Rhythm Thief. Curtain Call's just a drat lucky find :colbert:.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Rhythm Thief isn't a game, it's an experience

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Fawf posted:

Dissenting opinion: I bought Curtain Call off the strength of goon opinion and I found it to be thoroughly "meh." There just wasn't a lot that was compelling for me there after I was done tapping and dragging to my favorite Final Fantasy tunes. And I played the poo poo out of Ouendan / EBA so this should be right up my alley... but it's not.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I keep putting off getting Rhythm Thief even though I really want to. It's on the eShop, right? Is it ever on sale?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The leveling up your dudes component of curtain call feels really inconsequential, I'm not sure it actually affects anything at all. I find the core gameplay really good but it lacks the hooks needed to get me to keep playing it. But I do enjoy loading it up now and then to play along to my favorite rpg tunes. So I guess it's doing its job.

The only time the song length/excerpt thing bothered me is that the Crystal Chronicles theme cuts off just before the best part (the bagpipes bit).

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kaubocks posted:

I keep putting off getting Rhythm Thief even though I really want to. It's on the eShop, right? Is it ever on sale?

Yep and I can't remember. Also keep in mind it has two mandatory sections that require gyro controls.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Kanfy posted:

I don't understand how you can agree that increasing the amount of loops wouldn't help anything yet at the same time still claim that the tracks in general are too short. As far as the majority of them goes what you're asking for is literally impossible as the only way to lengthen them would be to loop them. And I like other rhythm games like EBA, Ouendan and Project Diva also, but those games almost exclusively do full-length songs that have a clear start point, progression and end point. Trying to stick video game music that was designed to loop in the background into that same mould would simply not work, which is why songs being too short is also not a common complaint leveled against Theatrhythm.

Either way, I fully agree with your complaint that some of the game's full-length songs are cut unnecessarily short, but I disagree that it's a major issue with the game as a whole as those songs don't represent most of the game's selection. Besides while tracks like Kaine should definitely play in their entirety, other tracks like One-Winged Angel and Good King Moggle Mog XII do in fact play for their full length, so even amongst those songs it's not a completely universal issue.

All that aside shorter tracks do have their upsides too. As someone who consistently messes up perfect clears right at the end, it's about a thousand times less painful in a shorter CC track than it is in a longer Project Diva one. :v:
You've more or less answered how I can agree about the loops but complain about the length - I don't really think the majority of the Final Fantasy music fits a rhythm game in a way I find satisfying. The progression in a song, between the buildup in the song itself and the gradual increase in the complexity of the patterns, is what makes playing the songs fun to me. When the track is shorter and just fades out at the end, it really doesn't do it for me the same way playing the big last refrain of a pop song does. It's not something that can be "fixed" in Theatrhythm because that's just not how Final Fantasy music is structured.

It's probably perfect if you already know and love FF music coming into it, but I don't like the idea of recommending it to other people solely on the point of it having 200+ songs when those songs are shorter and fundamentally different from the songs in other rhythm games. It's easy to look at that and think that, among 200 tracks, you could almost certainly find a good chunk that you enjoy and find fun to play, but there are more songs I like in Project Mirai despite it having under 50 songs (and a couple of those are pretty much duplicates).

It's too bad, because I really like everything around the rhythm game. The quest system and how it ties into the RPG mechanics are great for getting me to play tracks I otherwise would probably ignore after clearing once. Or it just means I stack abilities on my characters and play Waltz for the Moon a hundred times.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

The leveling up your dudes component of curtain call feels really inconsequential, I'm not sure it actually affects anything at all. I find the core gameplay really good but it lacks the hooks needed to get me to keep playing it. But I do enjoy loading it up now and then to play along to my favorite rpg tunes. So I guess it's doing its job.

The only time the song length/excerpt thing bothered me is that the Crystal Chronicles theme cuts off just before the best part (the bagpipes bit).

Aside from getting you more items it mostly influences things in three different cases, namely when you're not very good at the game in which case lots of healing will allow you to make more mistakes, when you're trying to beat a high-level boss in Quest Medley in which case you need lots of damage to get to it and kill it before the track ends, and when you're playing multiplayer in which case defeating enemies quickly gives you more EX-Bursts to use against your opponent and at the same time defensive abilities make you more resistant to being screwed when they do the same to you.

I think it's mostly inconsequential by design, it'd really suck if you had to grind for levels to make the actual rhythm part easier.

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

Yeah the RPG parts of Curtain Call are mostly fluff, I think they're mostly there to make the game feel more final fantasy-like, and to push the 'numbers getting bigger' happiness button that most FF fans have.

If you ignore the RPG part entirely, going for high scores or perfect clears doesn't get any harder. Scores are entirely based on skill, not stats.

(The RPG parts are still semi-fun, though.)

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
The RPG parts of CC mostly help in the quest area, where you need to keep your health up and be able to kill bosses fast. I've been using Y'stola for healing and the YRP trio because all three of them fire off attacks when a boss show up. Plus you get a Crystal bonus for all of one gender, and if a character is from the same game as the song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

gameface posted:

When I saw Kira Kira Kids, the first thing I thought of was Kirby's Star Stacker, more specifically the SFC version that never got localized. I have a feeling that's not what you mean though.

Yeah, when I wrote that initially, I realized that I wrote about the Kirby puzzler.
Turns out the Sanrio characters I meant were Kiki and Lala, so I was in the ball park at least.

Also, finally finished playing Picross 3D-2. It took me nearly 160 hours to get a platinum finish. FYI, I'm pretty good at Picross (the E titles usually take around 30 to complete--but the last one was a lot harder with Megapicross puzzles galore and about double the usual volume).
It's a big improvement over the DS original with automatic wiping of "0" columns and rows, three kinds of breakable blocks in two colors instead of just one, and the ability to temporarily color unbroken blocks (for instance, if there are no more blue blocks in a row, you can color it all yellow as a guide).
There's well over 300 puzzles in over 50 theme books, each with five to eight puzzles ranging in size from around 6 x 6 x 6 to a max of around 10 x 10 x 10, with plenty of variations.
Some books require the puzzles be solved with zero errors (since there's saving anytime, this isn't very onerous), and there are some with puzzles that come together to make one giant object.
There are three levels of difficulty.
You need to rack up points or complete puzzles or books to open later books, so one eventually has to play at the hardest mode to get everything to open up.
It's a very worthy addition to the Picross family. I'd buy more.

Doug Dinsdale fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 20, 2015