Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Maybe to unlock The Lost, you need to die in a sacrifice room with the Missing Poster? If the puzzle quest is gone, there's no reason for the puzzle pieces to be around anymore, and that could just be the new unlock method.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Maybe to unlock The Lost, you need to die in a sacrifice room with the Missing Poster? If the puzzle quest is gone, there's no reason for the puzzle pieces to be around anymore, and that could just be the new unlock method.

That would actually make sense.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Dr. Fetus posted:

.... You are correct too :D Just tested this and it works.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Do you mean it unlocked him, or that it turned you into him? If it's the latter, it always does that

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

IronicDongz posted:

Do you mean it unlocked him, or that it turned you into him? If it's the latter, it always does that

No it unlocks him now, here's some guys album from reddit where I posted it too http://imgur.com/a/nrsNM

If you don't have lost unlocked and you just die anywhere with the missing poster you die with no respawn. If you die with it in the sacrifice room you respawn as lost and you get a splash saying you unlocked him.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
Huh, so that means the sacrifice room now has exactly one use. This was a good patch!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

death .cab for qt posted:

Mushrooms have had a crazy high drop rate for mushroom items for me since Afterbirth launched

That's just statistics. I barely see anything.

I also saw Brimstone for the first time since Afterbirth launched today. Playing as the Keeper :negative:

Which was also the run where this happened: (last thing I need to fill out all the cards)

(note the lack of orbitals)

:negative: :negative:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Jusupov posted:

.... You are correct too :D Just tested this and it works.

Oh, neat! I figured something out! :v:

prahanormal posted:

Huh, so that means the sacrifice room now has exactly one use. This was a good patch!

You know, Edmund agreed with the community that Sacrifice rooms were worthless and said that he would change them. Whatever happened with that? Like Curse Rooms have chances of containing neat items. Sacrifice rooms gets you a chest at best.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Jusupov posted:

No it unlocks him now, here's some guys album from reddit where I posted it too http://imgur.com/a/nrsNM

If you don't have lost unlocked and you just die anywhere with the missing poster you die with no respawn. If you die with it in the sacrifice room you respawn as lost and you get a splash saying you unlocked him.
That's good, maybe I'll bother to get him now. Do that, cheat the greed donation machine, etc.

nogic
Jul 6, 2002

nerdbot posted:

So it does stack if you get two of the same item with Diplopia? I tried this on two Jesus Juice boxes early on but then I immediately got Ipecac before I could start damaging anything and how much damage I was doing immediately stopped mattering.

Don't know if it stacks, but I was doing huge damage. Basic enemies just died from one touch of the Az blast, and Isaac /blue baby died in 3~4 blasts. I'm not very familiar with sacred heart though, so I don't know what kind of damage to expect from it. Seems worth testing. Diplopia could be amazing :D

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I just had a chance to kill myself with missing poster in a sacrifice room. poo poo. It might be a while before those circumstances come up again.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'm really glad no patch notes for that means I was trying to unlock The Lost for 3 hours the old way earlier, for no reason. Thanks Edmund :sigh:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I never unlocked The Lost before. Glad I waited for the unlock conditions to become much easier instead of going through that whole tedious process

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I don't even know what the lost is but I guess I'll watch out for that poster.

I've only recently started wikiing trinkets though. It's kind of fun having no idea whats going on the first few playthroughs but I've beaten greed and hardmode each with isaac and cain a few times so I guess I should start looking for ways to get new stuff.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Nevvy Z posted:

I've only recently started wikiing trinkets though. It's kind of fun having no idea whats going on the first few playthroughs but I've beaten greed and hardmode each with isaac and cain a few times so I guess I should start looking for ways to get new stuff.

Even with all the new bad things added, the Lost is still the worst thing in the entire game. Don't worry about unlocking him unless you've done literally everything else.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That's just statistics. I barely see anything.

Honestly it seems like pots/mushrooms/skulls seem to have a much higher rate for enemies/explosions and a lower rate for pills/coins/sin hearts in my experience with Afterbirth so far.

Nevvy Z posted:

He's the best character, better unlock him soon so you can have real fun with this game.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Carbon dioxide posted:

Even with all the new bad things added, the Lost is still the worst thing in the entire game. Don't worry about unlocking him unless you've done literally everything else.

Best way to deal with lost is to download a save that has everything from rebirth unlocked and has real platinum god. Then you can just do the fun stuff in afterbirth.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Nevvy Z posted:

The Lost is a super secret super hard challenge mode character that dies in one hit, meant to be hidden for months but got discovered pretty quickly after release. If you get the opportunity you should unlock him because the missing poster is fairly rare, but definitely no need to prioritize him.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

ErIog posted:

Wooden Nickel is garbage because it can fail. Swallowed Penny is way better, but watch for them to nerf that the same way they nerfed Piggy Bank on Keeper. Playing with Swallowed Penny is actually really fun since you can survive if you can find a way to get back to the coin you dropped without getting hit. It's like if The Lost wasn't bullshit.

i found out the hard way that piggy bank was nerfed somehow.... the fact that it was only dropping a coin every 3 gorillion hits kinda made it obvious
still works nicely if combined with IV bag, though.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The jamming seems infinitely more generous now, I put 110 coins into the machine in one run (from exploded shopkeepers) and ended up at 2%.

Every coin donated increases the machine's jamming chance by a whooping 0.023% now

So yes

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Why not just take out the jamming mechanic if you're gonna be that generous with it? It seems pretty counter intuitive to GREED Mode.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Why not just take out the jamming mechanic if you're gonna be that generous with it? It seems pretty counter intuitive to GREED Mode.

That would mean admitting they were wrong.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

omeg posted:

That would mean admitting they were wrong.

Yeah, these are dudes who insist they're not game developers because saying they were would make them responsible for something

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
They need to think of something else to make worse before they make Greed Mode better.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
In my quest for Mom's Box to get the Missing Poster I've found a fun infinite damage (to yourself) combo.

Curse of the tower, sad bombs, and ipecac with some large tears will keep comboing the curse of the tower effect and destroy you.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Jibo posted:

In my quest for Mom's Box to get the Missing Poster I've found a fun infinite damage (to yourself) combo.

Curse of the tower, sad bombs, and ipecac with some large tears will keep comboing the curse of the tower effect and destroy you.

That sounds like the best way to die.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

HenryEx posted:

Every coin donated increases the machine's jamming chance by a whooping 0.023% now

So yes

Is that per character or for them all? If it's them all then you're looking at a 20% chance around coin 900.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I think I'm having my best Greed run yet. By the end of floor 2 I had Guppy, Steam sale, Chaos, Pentagram, PHD, Cricket's Head, Soul of the Night and the Nail. Watch the Greed machine jam at the first coin at the end.

EDIT: Jammed after 50 coins. This patch makes it a hell of a lot less grindy.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 20, 2015

Scorpion 3-2
Apr 2, 2011
Edmund McMillen ‏@edmundmcmillen

All this talk about nerfing makes me in the mood for buffing! What items/elements about afterbirth do you feel are 100% worthless / boring ?

https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/667816523268907008

Now is our chance guys.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Any item with the word "bean" in the name

edit: Except for the butter bean, which edmund said that you can't say, for some reason

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Oh, Sacrifice Room changes were in the works, but got dropped. :(

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Holy Water and the Milk are pretty worthless. Even if they worked everytime you got hit instead of once per room they'd be terrible.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Milk actually gives a pretty decent Tears Up for the room when you get hit.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Eh, the milk is alright. It's not great but I don't groan when I see it in a treasure room like I do with holy water.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Milk seems to bypass the tear rate limit like the Cancer trinket so it's pretty powerful (unless you're Lost, gently caress on-get-hit items).

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Sucks that the Piggy Bank got nerfed, but the Fanny Pack still pays out well. I used up all of my bombs after killing Ultra Greed and managed to get a few nickles.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

the Orb of Zot posted:

So why did the lost unlock need changing?

The Lost unlock method was stupid as gently caress and should have been changed ages ago. This one was a very, very good change. The only real reason to complain is that no one told us so everyone was trying to unlock him the old way still.

It's almost like...we could use some patch notes...

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
imagine being someone playing isaac years down the road when the community is basically dead, no one to give you all the information about the game which basically only exists by word of mouth

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Carbon dioxide posted:

The Keeper is worse. Lower speed, no flight and 2 hits with healing vs 2 hits every room means he's much less survivable.

Not being able to take devil deals is the icing on the cake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

RatHat posted:

Holy Water and the Milk are pretty worthless. Even if they worked everytime you got hit instead of once per room they'd be terrible.

Milk! is good purely for the name/effect.