Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
May as well follow through. Show her you mean business. I killed the dudes from the diamond city drug heist after the one guy wanted me to carry them back to the city and sell them so he could get his split after I extorted him for more caps. I'm the lone wanderer dude, don't get all uppity and start thinking you call the shots after I wrecked 6 ghouls and one wanna be gangster with my amped up laser rifle that does 111 damage per shot...it's the one Danse gives you that does double damage on critical attacks. I wandered across Swan w/ it and killed him in like one fusion cell. The crit multiplier took like ¼ of his health away. It's currently my fav gun until I can mod my mighty combat shotgun to do like 153 damage.

Do shotguns and laser rifles qualify for increased damage through the perks?

Edit: I did the dogmeat duplicate item trick to cheese my SPECIAL to maximum. It feels kinda dirty, but at the same time it's awesome being able to steam roll everything and get all the loot. Really the only things that are a threat are deathclaws and those crazy head laser robots. I haven't tried the castle yet, since I'm having too much fun being the one-man raider party.

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Doctor Schnabel posted:

there is a mod to remove the stupid retard guy noise

yeah turn your speakers up

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
im sorry. i dont really mean that. i just saw an opportunity for a joke, and i took it

do i need to give my shopkeepers any inventory to get them going?

dog nougat posted:

yeah. ammo is irrelevant for perks now, there's just pistols/semiauto rifles/auto rifles (and pistols?)

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

I don't care if she is an informant I really like Carla because 90% of the time she's right behind my workbench waiting to buy all the poo poo I won't use and can't scrap. Plus you can tell she just really doesn't give a gently caress about anything and I respect that. :v:

dog nougat posted:

Which ones? As I understand it they both fall under the Rifleman perk. They got rid of the shotgun-specific stuff.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Anyone else not had a single settlement get attacked yet? I'm at 40+ hours with nothing, even with most of my settlements undefended.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Popular Thug Drink posted:

do i need to give my shopkeepers any inventory to get them going?

Nope, make sure you are using the barter option not the trade option when you talk to them.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Specifically, the non-auto variants of both. I ditched the double barrel as soon as I found the combat shotgun. Now if I could find a bottomless combat shotgun. But 25% more damage on the mighty combat shotgun is probably better, especially with quick drum and faster reload perk.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

dog nougat posted:

Specifically, the non-auto variants of both. I ditched the double barrel as soon as I found the combat shotgun. Now if I could find a bottomless combat shotgun. But 25% more damage on the mighty combat shotgun is probably better, especially with quick drum and faster reload perk.

combat shotgun just seems less useful than the combat rifle because of the spread

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Bob NewSCART posted:

Lmfao, after hearing about oblivion having all the inventories of store owners in chests under the floor I think this is probably true.

You saw this right?

http://www.pcgamer.com/heres-whats-happening-inside-fallout-3s-metro-train/

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
Has anyone else got the impression that the difficulty slider is either not doing anything, or doing it in a weird, differential way? Sometimes I load up the game (very hard) and enemies take a ton of hits to take down, others they almost feel like their hitpoints aren't different.

I would say regarding idiot savant that in any other game you'd want to avoid it if trying to ensure your level doesn't bring up enemies too much, but since the difficulty is not really that tough and level scaling is not uniform, there isn't a really good reason to avoid it given perk benefits.

e:

Eschatos posted:

Anyone else not had a single settlement get attacked yet? I'm at 40+ hours with nothing, even with most of my settlements undefended.

Did you do the quest to build defences for a settlements? I think until the game gives you one it won't send people to attack, as mine didn't get attacked until I had, although it was still very rare (maybe once every ten hours of gameplay)

Coolwhoami fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 21, 2015

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Loose Ifer posted:

Thank you friend.

Check out the luck perks for idiot savant and better VATS critting and you may want a 4 str for the crafting perks since you can put bleed on knuckle weapons which will stack per hit and tick down during VATS allowing you to murder giant things.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Eschatos posted:

What level are you? I never had a settlement attacked, then I hit level 15 and about three of them got hit at once (including Sanctuary). It may have been a coincidence but it really felt like something triggered all of a sudden.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

combat shotgun just seems less useful than the combat rifle because of the spread

You can always mod the barrel to cut down on spread. Shotguns actually have a fairly long range in this game and in fact some types will kill or injure you if you try to use them point blank.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Yeah kinda, but when there's swarms of things around like mirelurks, they melt away with combat shotgun. I don't have high enough gun nut to mod my combat rifle into a complete murder machine yet, but I get something like 10 vats shots w/ it so it's still effective. My upgraded laser sniper is still my fav though, it's nutso accurate in vats and one shots most enemies.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i use a short barrel combat rifle with reflex sites like a bullet hose and on paper it does less damage than the combat shotgun but the rof is so high it's like the only gun i use. i use hunting rifle for long distance stuff or like pistols or whatever for some variety but if i'm Serious the vault 81 combat rifle just seems stupidly op with rifleman perks

i wonder if bethesda's strategy of announcing a few months before release means they had to scrap some late stage content/polish/balance passes and plan to fix it with dlc

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Coolwhoami posted:

Has anyone else got the impression that the difficulty slider is either not doing anything, or doing it in a weird, differential way? Sometimes I load up the game (very hard) and enemies take a ton of hits to take down, others they almost feel like their hitpoints aren't different.

Depends on the area as well as the difficulty level, low level enemies will get ruined easily if you are a high level on easy or very hard.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

If you're making threats and not following through it sounds like you're the bitch to me

:drat:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

So at level 68 and think I've done most of the listed sidequests. Beyond just fiddling with the settlements, what is there possibly left to do beyond collecting magazines and bobbleheads?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Zombies' Downfall posted:

It would actually make it a much less pointless and terrible inclusion in the game.

Posted this in the other thread yesterday but Idiot Savant is loving terrible design; there's no reason for any player not to take it as early and at every opportunity possible if they're minmaxing even not scumming (which is bad), it's anywhere between noticeably and massively better than raising Int unless you just need a specific amount of Int for a perk (which is bad), it's heavily luck-based and if you're one of those save-scumming weirdos or get "lucky" early on it'll throw the curve of the whole game off (which is bad), and it plays a stupid retard guy noise every single time it procs which would at least make more sense and be less needlessly annoying (if not more tasteful) if you also got retard dialogue options or you couldn't take it with more than 3 Int or whatever.

Idiot Savant is really dumb and bad. Hell maybe that's the point,

It is perfect because int is a dump stat. Nothing in int matters or is needed and the game already has low int dialog for every conversation.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

evilmiera posted:

So at level 68 and think I've done most of the listed sidequests. Beyond just fiddling with the settlements, what is there possibly left to do beyond collecting magazines and bobbleheads?

Detective work with Valentine. Dust off that trenchcoat & fedora.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Frankston posted:

Nah, I've stolen about 5 frames by shooting the core out whilst the guy is still wearing it. I don't know why the other guy is having trouble but whenever I do it they eject the core, it blows up and they walk around for a few seconds before getting out of the suit.

It's likely that the enemy in the power armour has low health and when he gets caught in the blast it kills him before he can get out. It has happened to me a couple times.

Yeah, I was just about to call alabaster a liar too.

If you're in combat it is impossible without jet though because of instant rotation. God help you if you try to do it without vats.

I just did it in an epic moment last night where after clearing out a gunner camp on a highway, I stole the generals armor, beat him to death with his own armored fist and jumped off the side to continue exploring. Only way it could've been cooler is if I blew a car up.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

evilmiera posted:

Wander around? There's a ton of places on the map that the quests never really send you to.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Just a heads up about those radio antennas you can find scattered around. If you activate them, they usually activate a couple of additional radio stations which you can use to locate hidden bunkers or shelters. Just use the signal strength as a measure of how close you are, as well as the directions sometimes given in the radio message itself.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 21, 2015

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

dog nougat posted:

bottomless double barrel would be a much better weapon than a bottomless combat shotgun because it has a super high rate of fire that's balanced by only having two shots

and while I'd never complain about getting it as a mod, I'm pretty sure 25% damage doesn't hold a candle to explosive or bleeding as mods for the combat shotgun

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Broken Cog posted:

Just a heads up about those radio stations you can find scattered around. If you activate them, they usually activate a couple of additional radio stations which you can use to locate hidden bunkers or shelters. Just use the signal strength as a measure of how close you are, as well as the directions sometimes given in the radio message itself.

I've spent a lot of my time just chasing those radio signals around. You can hear and find some pretty hosed up things even by Fallout standards. Like the bunker where the ventilation system failed - I found two adult skeletons which seemed par for the course, then turned to see the two child-sized graves marked by a teddy bear and baseball glove.

Lots of little setpieces that you probably wouldn't find otherwise.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, whomever Bethesda has doing the set pieces is really good.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Kimmalah posted:

I've spent a lot of my time just chasing those radio signals around. You can hear and find some pretty hosed up things even by Fallout standards. Like the bunker where the ventilation system failed - I found two adult skeletons which seemed par for the course, then turned to see the two child-sized graves marked by a teddy bear and baseball glove.

wow. that's deep. spec ops the line all over again

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

It is perfect because int is a dump stat. Nothing in int matters or is needed and the game already has low int dialog for every conversation.

Nothing in any of the stats matters or is needed. That's kind of the point. They allow everyone to improve their own gameplay. But in addition to rewarding min/maxers, it never punishes funhavers.

Lmao if flying through the sky and throwing fusion core grenades doesn't sound fun to you.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Kimmalah posted:

I don't care if she is an informant I really like Carla because 90% of the time she's right behind my workbench waiting to buy all the poo poo I won't use and can't scrap.
Yeah, she's all right. The discovery there that really bugged me was that I could do precisely nothing about the fact that Diamond City's mayor is a synth replacement.

And I guess related to that, the fact that I couldn't grill Father about the whole "killing people and replacing them with synths" policy.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Int has so many good perks it's kinda insane calling it a dump stat

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

frajaq posted:

I think that's true for every stat really.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

wow. that's deep. spec ops the line all over again

Not deep really, I just didn't expect it when I found it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

frajaq posted:

Come at me bro, so many perks that I can not name or reason that they are completely worth not hearing the best laughing sound every 5 seconds.

Yea, I didn't think you could.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

My problem with Idiot Savant is that I never want to not have hacker.
All locks must be picked. All terminals must be hacked.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Has anyone got hard numbers on how much Fortune Finder/Scrounger improve cap/ammo rates?

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

ChrisBTY posted:

My problem with Idiot Savant is that I never want to not have hacker.
All locks must be picked. All terminals must be hacked.

This. I know there's a random expert terminal around that I found early on & couldn't hack at the time. Really wishing I had made a real life note or marked it on my map, since I now have no clue where it is.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

dog nougat posted:

This. I know there's a random expert terminal around that I found early on & couldn't hack at the time. Really wishing I had made a real life note or marked it on my map, since I now have no clue where it is.

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain.
[rain spontaneously flies back into the sky due to physics bug]

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Alabaster White posted:

Has anyone got hard numbers on how much Fortune Finder/Scrounger improve cap/ammo rates?

Everything I can find says it doubles, but I don't know about that. What I can say is that I always find at least 2-3 different types of ammo every time I encounter it and I haven't run out of anything since I took a point in Scrounger.

Fortune Finder seems useless when caps are so easy to come by, but the fourth level that makes enemies explode into caps sounds fun at least. :v:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
As a hacker/lockpicker, I must say that hacker is way more rewarding. Almost everything behind lock picking is either terrible loot or a shortcut. Hacker gets you terminal entries, way more interesting areas are behind maglocks, and hacking let's you use protectron buddies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Nasgate posted:

As a hacker/lockpicker, I must say that hacker is way more rewarding. Almost everything behind lock picking is either terrible loot or a shortcut. Hacker gets you terminal entries, way more interesting areas are behind maglocks, and hacking let's you use protectron buddies.

As a hacker/lockpicker, I must say both are underwhelming. Hack functions being locked behind magazines was a horrible idea.

• Locked thread