Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew

Onean posted:

It's good, but I wouldn't go so far as to say great. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. has been outstanding this season and last, and this week's episode was amazing. Watching Agents first in a week with Flash and Arrow later when they're up on CW's site has tempered my enjoyment of the latter two a little. Still fun to watch and I still want to watch as soon as they're up, but not to the point I get with Agents.

Trust me, I'm fully aware of how amazing that episode was. It's honestly probably the best Shield episode there's been, but I don't know, I still fee like they're two separate shows and they're hard to compare sometimes because they're going for different vibes. I still feel like both shows have had absolutely amazing starts so far and I'm so happy that this show is at/above what it used to be before season 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Sir Potato posted:

I'm very shocked. This season has been pretty much flawless since the beginning.

Well, if you can overlook incredibly glaring flaws such as Diggles impaling an armored guy with a thrown arrow, sure.

I mean, the last person who accomplished such a feat was Roy when he killed Thea, but the only reason he was able to do that was because he was on mirakuru.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Onean posted:

It's good, but I wouldn't go so far as to say great. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. has been outstanding this season and last, and this week's episode was amazing. Watching Agents first in a week with Flash and Arrow later when they're up on CW's site has tempered my enjoyment of the latter two a little. Still fun to watch and I still want to watch as soon as they're up, but not to the point I get with Agents.

Well, Agents of Shield has a much higher budget, which allows them to do all types of special effects and shoot in cool locations. So yeah, you'll definitely notice the cheaper production of Arrow.

That said, writing-wise Agents is also much better, and there's no excuse for that. Flash has significantly better writers than Arrow and their budgets are comparable.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Thea seemed unrealistic. Hey, let's not bring Thea and Laurel. I like how in Lance's first meeting with Dahrk, he kept his expression fixed at Smug.
I feel like there were weird cuts in this ep; Diggle had too many "I'm angry, about my BROTHER!" scenes, while Oliver was like "C'mon, c'mon, okay, C'MON!"

The "You need to make a speech" plot was conflictless. I know it set up Oliver meeting Damien, but "You need to praise the cops, OK?" thing could've built a lot more tension. This is the organization that hunted Oliver down 10 months ago, that tried to rob the city, that Roy killed a member of...plenty of melodrama to mine. They probably wrote it and cut it to get this ep shorter.

I feel like they've gone back to the well too many times on "I don't want to go on the mission..." [miracle save by person who was off the mission] "I learned my lesson!"

Also, why the gently caress aren't they attacking Damien? Everyone's run into him, he shows up in public, they know where his lair is (because Quentin shows up repeatedly). This is why Zoom is a great season villain: the heroes want to defeat him, but he's not hanging 4x an ep to shoot the poo poo.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Golden Bee posted:

Thea seemed unrealistic. Hey, let's not bring Thea and Laurel. I like how in Lance's first meeting with Dahrk, he kept his expression fixed at Smug.
I feel like there were weird cuts in this ep; Diggle had too many "I'm angry, about my BROTHER!" scenes, while Oliver was like "C'mon, c'mon, okay, C'MON!"

The "You need to make a speech" plot was conflictless. I know it set up Oliver meeting Damien, but "You need to praise the cops, OK?" thing could've built a lot more tension. This is the organization that hunted Oliver down 10 months ago, that tried to rob the city, that Roy killed a member of...plenty of melodrama to mine. They probably wrote it and cut it to get this ep shorter.

I feel like they've gone back to the well too many times on "I don't want to go on the mission..." [miracle save by person who was off the mission] "I learned my lesson!"

Also, why the gently caress aren't they attacking Damien? Everyone's run into him, he shows up in public, they know where his lair is (because Quentin shows up repeatedly). This is why Zoom is a great season villain: the heroes want to defeat him, but he's not hanging 4x an ep to shoot the poo poo.

Yep. Which is why it's pretty laughable when people call this season "flawless". I mean yeah, it's much better than the last season, but let's face it, the bar was set pretty low there.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Golden Bee posted:

They haven't figured out how to. They've tried to fight him multiple times and he uses his sorcerer powers to swat everything away with ease. His powers not working against Thea this episode is the first hint about something they could potentially use to neutralize him.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Yeah that was a cool episode.
However they need to work out a way to make the canary cry not look dumb as gently caress, although the basic idea behind it is as dumb as gently caress so that might be difficult.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Counterpoint: it looks awesomely dumb, don't change a thing. Only way to improve it is maybe she can select what sort of bird noise it makes.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

bbf2 posted:

They haven't figured out how to. They've tried to fight him multiple times and he uses his sorcerer powers to swat everything away with ease. His powers not working against Thea this episode is the first hint about something they could potentially use to neutralize him.

1. They haven't used the Canary Cry
2. They haven't attacked him when he's unaware. If they know where his base is, just call in the Flash (as they did with Ra's), hit him indirectly (like every other time someone's caught an arrow and it exploded; make it blow up when he's showing off his telekinesis, hit him with a fire extinguisher blast, etc etc etc. Every Arrow villain of note was at some level immune to "shooting arrows at him").

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

She literally used it in the last episode and it looked dumb as hell.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Have sonic scream powers ever not looked goofy in live action? If the show had big network money they could at least give it a cool distortion effect like Skye's shockwaves on Agents of SHIELD.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Finally caught up.

I hope it's Diggle in the grave, because he just doesn't add anything to the show, and is just generally a major drag. He and the audience got an incredibly hamfisted display of how Darkh is explicitly controlling his soldiers, and Diggle whiny and annoying at the suggestion that maybe his brother is worth saving.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Digg is reacting that way because he's dealing with the news in the file Lance gave him, where his brother was a drug kingpin or whatever and abandoned his family before he ever got hooked up with HIVE.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Digg is reacting that way because he's dealing with the news in the file Lance gave him, where his brother was a drug kingpin or whatever and abandoned his family before he ever got hooked up with HIVE.

Doesn't excuse him straight up ignoring direct evidence that Darkh can control peoples minds and actions. He just makes for boring tv.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think Digg's logic is meant to be even if they save him and get him out of HIVE's control, he's still probably a war criminal of his own volition.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Look who's coming back to get more scenes left on the cutting room floor

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Someone else for the gravestone.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

spookygonk posted:

Someone else for the gravestone.

The gravestone is Robbie Amell's acting career

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

WarLocke posted:

The gravestone is Robbie Amell's acting career

Colton's movie career is at least as dead. Modelling, on the other hand...

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

:bubblewoop: CAPTAIN FLIPPY! :bubblewoop:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ville Valo posted:

Colton's movie career is at least as dead. Modelling, on the other hand...

Don't forget the thriving industry of freemium game commercials.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bruceski posted:

Yeah, that body is gonna drop.

The best part was Damien's :haw: expression when the team showed up. I imagine his thought process was "cool I have a unwitting mole inside Team Arrow!"

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
And they just abducted the one guy Lance was specifically asking Dahrk about and got a file on a couple of weeks ago. He's fuuuuucked.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Dead Snoopy posted:

:bubblewoop: CAPTAIN FLIPPY! :bubblewoop:

He has to seriously up his flip game now that Zoom pulled off the flip+lightning catch.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TyrantWD posted:

He has to seriously up his flip game now that Zoom pulled off the flip+lightning catch.

Maybe Zoom is ROY.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well he is really loving Speedy

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

greatn posted:

:thurman:

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Rhyno posted:

Maybe Zoom is ROY.

Colton did the voice work too, but they cut it, and had it overdubbed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

greatn posted:

:golfclap: :golfclap:

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Arrow and Flash both had the dumbest undercover schemes this week. Flash having a character lie to a mind-reading gorilla, and Arrow having Ollie somehow gaining the trust of a man with a magic lie detector.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Professor Wayne posted:

Arrow and Flash both had the dumbest undercover schemes this week. Flash having a character lie to a mind-reading gorilla,

Hey, hey, hey Cisco made anti-mind control earbuds so it was cool.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Grodd has only been shown to do mind control actually, I think. And project his thoughts to communicate.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Anyone watching Jessica Jones? The female assistant to Carrie-Ann Moss has a strikingly resemblance to Felicity.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

pentyne posted:

Anyone watching Jessica Jones? The female assistant to Carrie-Ann Moss has a strikingly resemblance to Felicity.

Aside from one particularly larger asset.

Or is that assets?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Aside from one particularly larger asset.

Felicity's giant forehead?

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

Golden Bee posted:

2. They haven't attacked him when he's unaware. If they know where his base is, just call in the Flash (as they did with Ra's), hit him indirectly (like every other time someone's caught an arrow and it exploded; make it blow up when he's showing off his telekinesis, hit him with a fire extinguisher blast, etc etc etc. Every Arrow villain of note was at some level immune to "shooting arrows at him").

Instead of a team-up, they should do an exchange episode where each cast just relocates to the other's city to try out new tactics on their bad guy. Flash can see how well Darkh holds up to a supersonic punch, and Arrow can... well, probably get his rear end handed to him by Zoom.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

pentyne posted:

I thought she looked more like Brooke Satchwell than anyone else.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

pentyne posted:

That's on already?!? poo poo I thought it was going to be like January or something.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

WarLocke posted:

That's on already?!? poo poo I thought it was going to be like January or something.

Get to watchin' because you have a lot to catch up on mostly Luke and Jessica having a lot of noisy sex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Professor Wayne posted:

Arrow and Flash both had the dumbest undercover schemes this week. Flash having a character lie to a mind-reading gorilla, and Arrow having Ollie somehow gaining the trust of a man with a magic lie detector.

To be fair, he didn't lie on the lie detector test!

• Locked thread