Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Luigi Thirty posted:

He's... not... wrong?

Well, if you wanted to start doing some mental gymnastics, the harsh reparations imposed on Germany by the Triple Entente really laid the groundwork for Hitler's rise to power. If you then take into consideration that the international Zionist movement worked hand in hand with Great Britain to fight the Central Powers in the middle east you could in a weird sort of way say that yes, Zionist Jews played some part in the Holocaust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Do you have any idea how bad for you baklava is?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Greatbacon posted:

Well, if you wanted to start doing some mental gymnastics, the harsh reparations imposed on Germany by the Triple Entente really laid the groundwork for Hitler's rise to power. If you then take into consideration that the international Zionist movement worked hand in hand with Great Britain to fight the Central Powers in the middle east you could in a weird sort of way say that yes, Zionist Jews played some part in the Holocaust.

It's more that Germany surrendered after its army was defeated in the field, but before the public knew that their army was defeated in the field. We were way harsher in the aftermath of WWII but nobody, anywhere, had the slightest doubt that Germany got beaten completely because it was conquered before it surrendered. But in WWI, they surrendered once the army was beaten but before Germany was occupied, so the public faced years of war and then were suddenly told one day they lost, despite being told everything was going swimmingly and that all of the German armies were still on foreign territory.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Luigi Thirty posted:

So now you can get pulled off flights for speaking Arabic in the terminal and carrying a box of baklava because we live in 1936 Germany.

I'd be kinda suspicious if a dude had a boxed ski mask tbh

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

that's a balaclava you bakaclava

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N

MonsieurLongDong posted:

Keep in mind this is pro bono so it's not really "part of my job."

Usually the answer here is no. You rarely meet with the proposed applicant face-to-face because there are substantial language barriers. This is particularly true in trafficking cases where you're generally dealing with victims that have low education levels. Attorneys doing the work have contacts with NGOs that screen potential applicants and do the factual legwork and then put all that information into a packet for the attorney to work from. Those that I have met tended to be children of the original applicant and were applying for additional immigration status. Those children spoke English and could provide real-time go-between information for the applicant and speed the process up. I have one or two of those that occasionally e-mail me with pictures to let me know how they are doing.

To be honest, few of these loans are ever truly paid back in full. Most refugees end up in communities that are heavily foreign-cultured where they have substantial support networks and local outreach organizations dedicated to helping them find employment and housing.

Yeah I suppose I meant "part of the process" more than "part of your job." In any case, thanks for the info! As long as it takes, accepting refugees is still only like the first part of the whole thing, so I was just curious about what comes after.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I oughta punch you in the clavicle

torgo
Aug 13, 2003

Fun Shoe

Luigi Thirty posted:

It's an honest mistake.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8be9yLkT2mM

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Luigi Thirty posted:

I thought that was a card game, nm

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

evilweasel posted:

It's more that Germany surrendered after its army was defeated in the field, but before the public knew that their army was defeated in the field. We were way harsher in the aftermath of WWII but nobody, anywhere, had the slightest doubt that Germany got beaten completely because it was conquered before it surrendered. But in WWI, they surrendered once the army was beaten but before Germany was occupied, so the public faced years of war and then were suddenly told one day they lost, despite being told everything was going swimmingly and that all of the German armies were still on foreign territory.

Okay yeah, the circumstances surrounding the end of the war also laid the ground for the idea that the politicians, not the soldiers, lost the war and provided a narrative for Hitler to ride into power. But without the serious economic collapse brought on by the terms of surrender (high reparation payments and the loss of some of Germany's prime industrial territory) there wouldn't have a been an angry and scared populace in the first place to latch onto fascism. Either way I was just making a really lovely point that Germany's loss in WWI lead to WWII and the holocaust, and the international Zionist movement came down on the side of the entente during the first world war. A really lovely person could thus attempt to argue that zionism lead to the holocaust.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
At least this thread taught me somethin g today.

Thank you Luigi30, I didn't know you were someone in baklava.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

ayn rand hand job posted:

At least this thread taught me somethin g today.

Thank you Luigi30, I didn't know you were someone in baklava.

That, everyone, is an example of bad comedy.

Speaking of bad ideas, uhhhhhhhhhhh

quote:

A Utah school is apologizing after a ninth grade teacher assigned students to draw a propaganda poster for ISIS.

The teacher, who's been on the job for just a few months, gave the in-class assignment to students in her two World Civics classes at Salem Junior High School in Salem, Utah, on Wednesday. About 60 students received the assignment, which required them to create a "neat, colored, professional" poster for the terrorist group, to "help students better understand the goals of terrorist groups and the methods they use to gain support," the assignment read.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

That, everyone, is an example of bad comedy.

Speaking of bad ideas, uhhhhhhhhhhh

I wouldn't give it because holy poo poo that's asking to get fired, but I'm fine with that assignment, personally. Know thy enemy

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Luigi Thirty posted:

This is a wonderful post in an otherwise disturbing and saddening thread

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
If you had Tennessee as the first state to call for the national guard to round up existing Syrian refugees, step up to claim your prize.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

stephenfry posted:

1) see, that's a distinction only his school would make
no, it isn't. Setting aside the logical fallacy of trying to discredit the point in that way, it goes directly to how he views the optimal solution and in what context he views tools to achieve that end, which is highly relevant to discussing how he evaluates policy. Would you dismiss Richard Wolff's proposals vs Ha-Join Chang's on those grounds?

quote:

2) no, it just means he assigns a different priority. It does however make assertions his positive appraisal of clinton's proposal relative to whatever Bernie has is meritorious and weighty because of ~name~ wrong-ish
except he wasn't invoked on the basis of name, he was invoked for providing a policy solid criticism.

quote:

This. When it comes to shifting the overton window and making progress, if the legislation gets done it doesn't matter the (rhetorical, and not accepted as a premise by me) fervor behind it. Bernie has at least the ability of clinton to work congress, he was an independent.
Did something happen that we attracted a lot of newcomers to this thread? Because trying to drop these kind of purity arguments on the regulars here is kind of wide-eyed.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

greatn posted:

Do you have any idea how bad for you baklava is?

Yeah man, but what a way to go. Really good baklava is one of the most decadent and delicious deserts you can have

FairGame posted:

This is a wonderful post in an otherwise disturbing and saddening thread
Yes, it is. Man, I know why we broke food/drink chat off to the general talk thread, but I do think those periodic tangents helped keep some of the overwhelming sadness at bay just by breaking from it from time to time

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 21, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

stephenfry posted:

it should be noted that Krugman is a strange person to hold up as an authority, considering he is a strange thing these days: a purportedly liberal economist whose idealised priority is the old-fashioned "growth" of an economy or the "maximization" of GDP, rather than the collective human good (via reduction of inequality) or ecological stability Piketty's generation are interested in.

you seem confused re:what the word 'liberal' means

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Greatbacon posted:

You're wrong. Hitler was responsible for WW2; not WW1. Hitler, and the goddamned Germans who refused to stand up and kill nazis.

You kill baby Hitler, you kill WW2.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Also reminder, Krugman left Princenton and now teaches at CUNY

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

you seem confused re:what the word 'liberal' means

I'd agree with stephenfry if this wasn't the USPOL thread, and therefore operating on US standards. (Feet, Pounds, Foot Pounds, Miles, Color, etc.)

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Magres posted:

I wouldn't give it because holy poo poo that's asking to get fired, but I'm fine with that assignment, personally. Know thy enemy

On the flip side, there's a chance that the assignment could land the students in hot water too, and potentially get some of them on no-fly lists. A low chance, perhaps, but that chance would doubtless be a lot higher for Arab or Muslim students. Instructive, perhaps, but on the whole A Bad Idea.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

evilweasel posted:

This is nonsense. The Treaty of Versailles demanded that reparations be paid in foreign currency so that Germany had to take out loans or move cash out out of currency every time they paid up. Germany got none of this after WW2, and even got a load of debt forgiveness in the 1950s.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Not since Chris Hughes bought it from Marty "gently caress arabs" Peretz

I'm really enjoying what Jeet Heer is doing with it so far at least.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Wales Grey posted:

I'd agree with stephenfry if this wasn't the USPOL thread, and therefore operating on US standards. (Feet, Pounds, Foot Pounds, Miles, Color, etc.)

Krugman is 150% in the liberal tradition, and not just in the specifically American sense of the word. Utilitarian GDP maximization is as liberal as liberal gets. Bernie is also a liberal, albeit one who has his own weird formulation of liberal ideology.

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 21, 2015

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

My Imaginary GF posted:

You're wrong. Hitler was responsible for WW2; not WW1. Hitler, and the goddamned Germans who refused to stand up and kill nazis.

At the cost of an unresolvable time paradox, sure

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

Krugman is 150% in the liberal tradition, and not just in the specifically American sense of the word. Utilitarian GDP maximization is as liberal as liberal gets

This drops his focus on international economic issues in a very unfair way. That he would pick a policy that reduced domestic inequality to a lesser degree but also addressed global uplift over one that only addressed domestic inequality is not a good criticism basis for anyone who stands on the left side of the political debate

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Uh, Krugman is deeply concerned with inequality and thinks reducing inequality is more important than growth.

http://nytimes.com/2013/12/16/opinion/krugman-why-inequality-matters.html

quote:

The best argument for putting inequality on the back burner is the depressed state of the economy. Isn’t it more important to restore economic growth than to worry about how the gains from growth are distributed?

Well, no. First of all, even if you look only at the direct impact of rising inequality on middle-class Americans, it is indeed a very big deal. Beyond that, inequality probably played an important role in creating our economic mess, and has played a crucial role in our failure to clean it up.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

This drops his focus on international economic issues in a very unfair way. That he would pick a policy that reduced domestic inequality to a lesser degree but also addressed global uplift over one that only addressed domestic inequality is not a good criticism basis for anyone who stands on the left side of the political debate

I don't? Liberalism is cool and good, as is Krugman

My problem with a lot of the Bernie-style 'leftist' critiques of liberalism is that they don't seem to have a very good understanding of either liberalism or the far left and their respective intellectual and historical contexts. Bernie isn't a leftist and nobody but American liberals with a vague sense of unease re:economic justice would call him one

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

JeffersonClay posted:

Uh, Krugman is deeply concerned with inequality and thinks reducing inequality is more important than growth.

http://nytimes.com/2013/12/16/opinion/krugman-why-inequality-matters.html

It is in fact, something that his fellow economists sometimes criticize him for.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Krugmandefendingmalthusianecenomics.txt

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
New Bernie TV ad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PewCSYS6a6s

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

I don't? Liberalism is cool and good, as is Krugman

My problem with a lot of the Bernie-style 'leftist' critiques of liberalism is that they don't seem to have a very good understanding of either liberalism or the far left and their respective intellectual and historical contexts

I misread your post as a criticism of it (liberalism) in the international sense (where liberal are the David Cameron style assholes rather than being the people pushing for a more equitable organization) then. Apologies.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

White supremacists from /pol/ apparently showed up at the Black Lives Matter protests in Minneapolis last night, armed, and are planning to do so again tonight: https://www.facebook.com/BlackLivesMatterMinneapolis/videos/1010885932288533/

http://pastebin.com/FkA1B2rq

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Also reminder, Krugman left Princenton and now teaches at CUNY

And what's that suppose to mean?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

KomradeX posted:

And what's that suppose to mean?

That the person in question clearly doesn't follow him very well. (And yes, I know he's talking more largely about being from the Princeton School, but there subtext of Krugman leaving Princeton also related to his larger changes in how he views economics.)

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Pretty good, hits on all of the main campaign planks.

It's sad that he won't get the nomination because I believe in his commitment to addressing income inequality, wealth disparity and actually doing something about the financial sector's excesses far more than I do Hillary's. I fully expect Hillary to pivot center-right as soon as she wins the nomination (and the general) on most everything, including banking reform and income inequality.

Still, Bernie's doing better than I think a lot of people ever expected against a rightist neoliberal in the primaries, so maybe the actual left is finally finding some traction.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

a shameful boehner posted:

Pretty good, hits on all of the main campaign planks.

It's sad that he won't get the nomination because I believe in his commitment to addressing income inequality, wealth disparity and actually doing something about the financial sector's excesses far more than I do Hillary's. I fully expect Hillary to pivot center-right as soon as she wins the nomination (and the general) on most everything, including banking reform and income inequality.

Still, Bernie's doing better than I think a lot of people ever expected against a rightist neoliberal in the primaries, so maybe the actual left is finally finding some traction.

After Obama, I'm amazed anyone has any faith in liberal promises made during campaigns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

My Imaginary GF posted:

your best bet to kill hitler is probably during the beer hall putsch riot. just use a sniper rifle and top him in the head when leading a street fight.

Bullfrog posted:

White supremacists from /pol/ apparently showed up at the Black Lives Matter protests in Minneapolis last night, armed, and are planning to do so again tonight: https://www.facebook.com/BlackLivesMatterMinneapolis/videos/1010885932288533/

http://pastebin.com/FkA1B2rq
they arnt as fat/skinny/goony looking as i thought they would be. though the dude with glasses looks pretty semetic for wannabee nazi.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 21, 2015

• Locked thread