Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

kcroy posted:

yes actually.

What kind of idiot buys that?

this kind :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I bought it not knowing it was only one 200 page story. When I finished it I was like, "That was cool, I'm gonna start the next one right now! Oh... there is no next one..."

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

RCarr posted:

I bought it not knowing it was only one 200 page story. When I finished it I was like, "That was cool, I'm gonna start the next one right now! Oh... there is no next one..."

I thought it was all 3 dunk and eggs?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

George will be ready in April 2016

with another 10 page sample chapter which is all he wrote in 2015

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah it's three stories but each one is very short, i'd say the whole thing is the equivalent of not more than 10 ASOIAF chapters.

Which just goes to show that GRRM can actually write a tight story when he wants to.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Bran isn't going to become a tree. Something g will break in the sanctuary and bran will end up a hostage of the others. He will then realize he doesn't need the tree to use his powers and he will lvl up his powers like neo at the end of the matrix

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ron Jeremy posted:

Bran isn't going to become a tree. Something g will break in the sanctuary and bran will end up a hostage of the others. He will then realize he doesn't need the tree to use his powers and he will lvl up his powers like neo at the end of the matrix

Come to think of it GoT could use more RATM

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Guy A. Person posted:

with another 10 page sample chapter which is all he wrote in 2015

You misspelled 2005

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Yeah it's three stories but each one is very short, i'd say the whole thing is the equivalent of not more than 10 ASOIAF chapters.

Which just goes to show that GRRM can actually write a tight story when he wants to.

sure if you give him a few decades, zero pressure, and he maintains his interest in it.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
anyone read Windhaven by the Grrm and the Turtle? http://www.fantasybookreview.co.uk/George-RR-Martin/Windhaven.html

This guy REAAAALY likes it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Ron Jeremy posted:

He will find out that the tree was inside him all along!

Ew.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Ah, but someone (Sanderson, King, Rothfuss? ) will take seasons 6-7 and write a pointless, meandering novelization of them, thus coming back around to being a perfect metaphor for the series.

Tyrion becomes the Shardholder of Tits and Wine.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Is the new book out yet?

And by that I mean The Unholy Consult by R Scott Bakker. The best thing about ASOIAF at this point is that I learned about Bakker's series via this thread. Is there a thread for those books around here?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
It's in the archives now because for some reason it's been like five years without a book. Supposedly the first half of TUC is coming in July 2016.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Not soon enough.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

various cheeses posted:

And by that I mean The Unholy Consult by R Scott Bakker. The best thing about ASOIAF at this point is that I learned about Bakker's series via this thread. Is there a thread for those books around here?

Oh! Oh! I need a book to read. Where do I start?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

RCarr posted:

Oh! Oh! I need a book to read. Where do I start?

Start at The Darkness That Comes Before.

Word of warning, if ASOIAF is a 7 out of 10 on the bleak darkness scale, Bakker's Second Apocalypse series is a solid 10. It is very well-written and it's by no means a dumb grimdark series, definitely one of the most affecting set of books I have ever read, but you've been warned.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

The Ninth Layer posted:

Start at The Darkness That Comes Before.

Word of warning, if ASOIAF is a 7 out of 10 on the bleak darkness scale, Bakker's Second Apocalypse series is a solid 10. It is very well-written and it's by no means a dumb grimdark series, definitely one of the most affecting set of books I have ever read, but you've been warned.

The names of all the places and people are a bit confusing at first but it's definitely the best series I've read in a long time. The history behind the world is amazing too, and I hope he keeps writing novels based in that world. It's got some real hosed up scenes, so yeah be warned. we are a race... of lovers :stonk:

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

The Telltale Game of Thrones adventure game is done. Don't buy it.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arbite posted:

The Telltale Game of Thrones adventure game is done. Don't buy it.

ah well, too bad, that.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It's in the archives now because for some reason it's been like five years without a book. Supposedly the first half of TUC is coming in July 2016.

its weird - the official website is pretty dead too. I mean you think there would be more ongoing discussion and whatnot.

various cheeses posted:

The names of all the places and people are a bit confusing at first but it's definitely the best series I've read in a long time. The history behind the world is amazing too, and I hope he keeps writing novels based in that world. It's got some real hosed up scenes, so yeah be warned. we are a race... of lovers :stonk:

It has a very middle ages / middle east feel, and part of it parallels one of the Great Crusades - which was a big hook for me once I realized it. It took a looooooong loving time to get into, and I had to power through it at first. If I hadn't bought the book to read while I was going to be basically snowed in for a week, I'm not sure if I could have gotten through the first half. My Grandfather had died, and I was spending the night on the floor at my Grandmothers house to keep her company for a few days. She was depressed, already suffering from some dementia, and that book was in some ways my only escape from my own sadness at the situation. I sure picked a cheery book to keep me loving company, that is for sure.

I'm glad I stuck with it. I've reread the series a few times now. also, rape. it's got a lot of rape, and waaaay too much gross sweaty middle-ages unwashed lice covered genitals. There is black colored semen and one of the main characters is like a ye-olden-times fedora wearing neck beard - he is still pretty awesome though. Lots of accusations of misogyny and whatnot towards the author. If you drink every time someone calls a vagina a Peach, you would be too drunk to ever finish reading the book.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

> first half

GOD loving DAMMIT are you serious?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Lmao yeah. Supposedly the second half won't be more than a year after but...I've heard that before.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

kcroy posted:

its weird - the official website is pretty dead too. I mean you think there would be more ongoing discussion and whatnot.
The Second Apocalypse fan forum is semi-active but your account needs to be approved by a moderator. I tried to register three or four weeks ago and I never heard back.

Lmao yeah. Supposedly the second half won't be more than a year after but...I've heard that before.
At least in Bakker's case it sounds like the book is finished, he's just being dicked around by the publisher.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

the trump tutelage posted:

The Second Apocalypse fan forum is semi-active but your account needs to be approved by a moderator. I tried to register three or four weeks ago and I never heard back.

At least in Bakker's case it sounds like the book is finished, he's just being dicked around by the publisher.

I'd rather it cost twice as much so I can buy and read the goddamn thing. I hope whoever orchestrated this delay gets poo poo dick.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Ron Jeremy posted:

You got it all wrong because Bran is actually Lews Therin Telamon reborn.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
the gurm answers a question nobody really asked him: My Position On the Syrian Refugees

spoiler alert: is a hippie, quotes that poem written on the base of the statue of liberty, american values, etc etc.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

emanresu tnuocca posted:

the gurm answers a question nobody really asked him: My Position On the Syrian Refugees

spoiler alert: is a hippie, quotes that poem written on the base of the statue of liberty, american values, etc etc.

So, Aerys II is not a self insert.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

HBO officially reveals that Jon Snow isn't entirely dead:

http://www.hbo.com/html/series/game-of-thrones/season-6-poster.html

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I had a dream where GRRM died and HBO sacked D&D.

Woke up disappointed.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ZearothK posted:

I had a dream where GRRM died and HBO sacked D&D.

Woke up disappointed.

How many episodes has he written? I know he wrote the episode where they killed Joffrey, and that was probably the best episode in season 4. Which is sad when you think about it.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

CaptainRightful posted:

Surprising approximately no one.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

computer parts posted:

So, Aerys II is not a self insert.

Aerys II employed a migrant from the Free Cities and look how it turned out.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainRightful posted:

So D&D gonna get shipped off to Guantanamo for lying to the President?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Have you guys played Telltale's GoT game? Sounds like it's very accurate to the source material:

Drifter posted:

I just finished Telltale's Game of Thrones game, and Hahahahaha gently caress you Telltale, you lovely bastards.

It was a pretty solid Telltale game, but it was literally half a story. In true GRRM fashion they managed to make a GoT entry that completely did not manage to tell a complete story. Telltale didn't leave you with a cliffhanger at the end of the season, they actually just stopped the story midway through.

halwain
May 31, 2011

CaptainRightful posted:

Jon Snow has died for our sins.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Gurm keeps talking about syrian refugees: https://t.co/oaUvcf69a7

The internet, collectively: stop procrastinating and write the loving book, we already know you're a hippie.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Koirhor posted:

So D&D gonna get shipped off to Guantanamo for lying to the President?

Tu-pac Jon Snow ain't dead.

Or he's dead and Melssiandre's going to revive him since the show even made her go out of the way and meet Thoros and witness his ability to resurrect someone. Then HBO, D&D, GURM, and whomever else claimed he was dead can say they weren't lying. :shrug:

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I hope the absolute fucker gets hosed absolutely

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
That picture is almost 100% warning signs.