Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

quote:

How long would the terrorists last had there been armed civilians (whether they are cops, military or just gun-owners)?

Just as long if not longer, from the current sound of things. Are they still saying one of the terrorists got shot dead, though? Because, I mean, that points pretty strongly to the presence of armed police. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug
I get unreasonably irritated when people use 'government' as a mass noun. It seems like a pretty universal indication of uninformed garbage opinions.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

theshim posted:

Since we're on the downswing of the Jrodefeld Cycle, the thread's been quiet. Time to give it an infusion of That One Guy I Know On Facebook :getin:

(and before you ask yes I am sure this is not jrod)

Someone should quietly remind him that the favorite tool of terrorists worldwide is bombs, not guns.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

theshim posted:

Since we're on the downswing of the Jrodefeld Cycle, the thread's been quiet. Time to give it an infusion of That One Guy I Know On Facebook :getin:

(and before you ask yes I am sure this is not jrod)

The proper response to people like that is the repeated application of this image:

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
guess who is back in his other lovely thread

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!
Hey guys, did you know that modern-day slavery as practiced in Qatar and the UAE is purely a personal liberty-matter and has no bearing whatsoever on how economically free a country is? 'Cause I sure as hell didn't, until JRod laid that little truth bomb on us!

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

It's not slavery, it's voluntarily involuntary servitude performed in a rights-respecting manner.

Do you even freedom, bro?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Look, I paid for your wife's broken arm, and you owe me a lot of money for that. What do you mean, you don't own anything you can give me to pay off the debt? You own yourself, don't you?

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
"Do you want to die of starvation or be fed poo poo while being paid breadcrumbs also I get to treat you like a pet and abuse you?"

He can choose either choice, duh

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

guess who is back in his other lovely thread

Is it...is it me?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

HootTheOwl posted:

Is it...is it me?

It's all of us. We are all, individually, the worst poster on the forums.

Come friend, wallow in the poo poo post with us.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
God this jrodefeld is dumb

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Hmm, not bad, but can you express this in at least five lengthy paragraphs and an out-of-context citation that actually demonstrates the exact opposite of your intended point?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Welcome to the party.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

So has he moved to Somalia yet?

He'd better hurry; Al-Shabaab is getting beat back, and Somalia is now less unstable than Syria and Yemen, and the Somalian Government actually exists as an entity now.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
whatching people debate jrod is tedious.

he never ever acknowledges when he's wrong, ever

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Its the continuous Goal Post shift of Libertarianism

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

He said recently that he's been wrong about things. I take that as an admission that he's always wrong about everything.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

He told us he's never hosed a watermelon, and then started saying he's been wrong about things he's told us. Makes u think

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Nevvy Z posted:

He said recently that he's been wrong about things. I take that as an admission that he's always wrong about everything.

It seems like he is just admitting that he phrased something poorly more than anything else.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

He barely even acknowledges that other people post.

But really, if he was in the habit of admitting when he was wrong, he'd have stopped being a libertarian by now.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Changing your mind on anything ever is for chumps.

Human Action posted:

Praxeology is a theoretical and systematic, not a historical, science. Its scope is human action as such, irrespective of all environmental, accidental, and individual circumstances of the concrete acts. Its cognition is purely formal and general without reference to the material content and the particular features of the actual case. It aims at knowledge valid for all instances in which the conditions exactly correspond to those implied in its assumptions and inferences. Its statements and propositions are not derived from experience. They are, like those of logic and mathematics, a priori. They are not subject to verification or falsification on the ground of experience and facts. They are both logically and temporally antecedent to any comprehension of historical facts. They are a necessary requirement of any intellectual grasp of historical events. Without them we should not be able to see in the course of events anything else than kaleidoscopic change and chaotic muddle.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Nolanar posted:

Changing your mind on anything ever is for chumps.

That's perfectly reasonable until you realize that they're basically relying on you not noticing this sentence:

quote:

It aims at knowledge valid for all instances in which the conditions exactly correspond to those implied in its assumptions and inferences.

...and taking its conclusions to apply to reality.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nolanar posted:

"Without them we should not be able to see in the course of events anything else than kaleidoscopic change and chaotic muddle."

i.e, reality.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

i.e, reality.

Nah, physics for example is able to show that all that chaos and change is following simple, elegant rules. It's just that those rules were determined by physicists looking at reality instead of looking up their own asses. Even if you restrict yourself to the "realm of human action," there's the fields of psychology and sociology and behavioral economics all doing research on how people behave, and they're able to actually get results beyond "wow, this is all confusing, I guess Humans just Act!"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not averse to the idea of a deterministic universe, I'm just rather skeptical of any ideological outlook that purports to bring the entire fabric of existence into focus simply by adopting it.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not averse to the idea of a deterministic universe, I'm just rather skeptical of any ideological outlook that purports to bring the entire fabric of existence into focus simply by adopting it.

Libertarianism is NOT a philosophy mind you, it's a loving religion disguised as a philosophy.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

Nothing is random. Absolutely nothing. Everything follows a set of rules. That's why there are fancy things like "math" and "science." We're figuring out those rules. They're unfathomably complex but once we figure out the equations we can tinker with the input to get the output we want.

Libertarianism decides what output it wants and designs equations from scratch that make every possible input lead to the output they want. Mind you the equations are always nebulous at best and change nonstop to fit whatever they're talking about right now. The most common argument is "this is true because I believe it is." Actual reality is irrelevant.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Nothing is random. Absolutely nothing.

What?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
There's things that are effectively random, but he's arguing that we don't know the cause for those yet.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Nothing is random. Absolutely nothing. Everything follows a set of rules. That's why there are fancy things like "math" and "science." We're figuring out those rules. They're unfathomably complex but once we figure out the equations we can tinker with the input to get the output we want.

Our best understanding of some things is that they are actually, truly random. For instance, there's not really a good reason to believe that radioactive decay is a deterministic process. Lack of proof of true randomness is not the same as proof of determinism

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

The universe follows rules. The patterns my be absurdly complex and unfathomable to our ape brains but they're there. What seems random to us is a bunch of external factors causing something to happen. It might be unpredictable but it isn't random.

G1mby
Jun 8, 2014

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The universe follows rules. The patterns my be absurdly complex and unfathomable to our ape brains but they're there. What seems random to us is a bunch of external factors causing something to happen. It might be unpredictable but it isn't random.

There are rules, yes, but the rules include some form of randomness - this has been experimentally demonstrated : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell's_theorem

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Why does everything in the universe have to be deterministic? I mean at this level we have solidly left the realm of science and are definitely just philosophizing, but why can't the rules that the universe follows include some level of randomness?

Reicere
Nov 5, 2009

Not sooo looouuud!!!

QuarkJets posted:

Why does everything in the universe have to be deterministic?
You can only have 2 of the following be absolute: Determinism, observability, and locality.
Sure, you can axe any of them and things still work, but each possibility has its drawbacks.

Accept some degree of non-local interaction and everything makes sense but controlled observation becomes effectively impossible.
    The universe cheats, but we can see it doing so, and understand those rules too... if we get lucky.
Accept that there are variables we have no way of isolating. Things still make sense, but there is a hard limit on how much we can understand about any given system.
    Good enough, but a bit of a cop-out.
Or we accept a bit of true randomness. Things behave like we expect, but only in aggregate over "long" periods of time. We can understand a system by observing it, but not ever make completely reliable predictions.
    You might spontaneously turn into a nuclear bomb, but that's crazy so we'll ignore the possibility.
From a practical standpoint it doesn't matter much. Philosophically the distinctions are quite important and which a person is most willing to tolerate says a lot about them and how they see mankind's place in the universe.

[/BS]

Oh, and I guess there's the 4th possibility. All 3 traits are absolute, but we've been too dumb to make them all jive. The best possibility really, but team "We Suck" doesn't seem to get much support.

Reicere fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 23, 2015

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

QuarkJets posted:

Why does everything in the universe have to be deterministic? I mean at this level we have solidly left the realm of science and are definitely just philosophizing, but why can't the rules that the universe follows include some level of randomness?

No, everything is maths

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

QuarkJets posted:

Nothing we've discovered so far is provably random, rather than being the result of deterministic rules that we simply can't comprehend yet. Especially since so many things we used to think were totally random turned out to be deterministic as knowledge and tools improved.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

QuarkJets posted:

My understanding of it has to do with things like the laws of thermodynamics; in particular the second one. The short of it is "any level of entropy in a closed system will increase over time and cause catastrophic failure eventually." Any minute level of randomness fucks up everything. As science has peeled back the layers of the universe bit by bit it has found that seemingly random things weren't.

The universe is a staggeringly huge system that is incomprehensibly complex but even when it cheats and breaks its own rules it does it in predictable ways. Plus as our understanding gets better we keep running into places where the equations we figured out turned out to be more complex than we thought. There were cases of "well this works 99.99% of the time" only to find out that it works 99.99999% of the time if we add one more variable that barely affects it at all under normal circumstances. Which is one reason a lot of people think science is full of poo poo; we've gotten into the realm of things that are extremely difficult to observe like complex math, quantum theory, and chaos theory.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

fishmech posted:

Nothing we've discovered so far is provably random, rather than being the result of deterministic rules that we simply can't comprehend yet. Especially since so many things we used to think were totally random turned out to be deterministic as knowledge and tools improved.

Quantum physics is as close to proven random as it is possible to do. Hidden information just adds complication for no real gain in predictive power or understanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

fishmech posted:

Nothing we've discovered so far is provably random, rather than being the result of deterministic rules that we simply can't comprehend yet.

To the best of our understanding, radioactive decay is provably random, and so are many other processes. I won't discount the possibility of discovering a deterministic process governing radioactive decay, but there's no guarantee of that happening; it might be (and probably is) truly random. And using your same line of reasoning (basically none at all), I could claim that any number of deterministic processes are simply the result of random processes that we simply can't comprehend yet.

It's possible that everything really is deterministic, but why must this be the case? I don't find the argument of "many things we once thought were random actually weren't" to be particularly convincing (because it's ahistorical for a lot of the traditional examples, but even if it was totally accurate you'd still be using a logical fallacy)

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

No, everything is maths

I know you're being facetious, but I'd like to mention that randomness is maths

ToxicSlurpee posted:

My understanding of it has to do with things like the laws of thermodynamics; in particular the second one. The short of it is "any level of entropy in a closed system will increase over time and cause catastrophic failure eventually." Any minute level of randomness fucks up everything. As science has peeled back the layers of the universe bit by bit it has found that seemingly random things weren't.

That isn't a convincing argument. An atom in a box has some probability of decaying, and to our knowledge this is a fully random process. The second law of thermodynamics doesn't change that.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The universe is a staggeringly huge system that is incomprehensibly complex but even when it cheats and breaks its own rules it does it in predictable ways. Plus as our understanding gets better we keep running into places where the equations we figured out turned out to be more complex than we thought. There were cases of "well this works 99.99% of the time" only to find out that it works 99.99999% of the time if we add one more variable that barely affects it at all under normal circumstances. Which is one reason a lot of people think science is full of poo poo; we've gotten into the realm of things that are extremely difficult to observe like complex math, quantum theory, and chaos theory.

This isn't really a convincing argument, either; see my reply to fishmech. Remember, your claim is that all physical processes must be deterministic. The incredible complexity of the universe doesn't prove that, nor does the revelation that some "random" processes were later discovered to be deterministic.