Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Fixing the awkward DJ also causes him to do the "Thanks to my friends I recently changed how I think about the world..." speech all the time every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sankis posted:

But 5.56 is also much harder to get in bigger numbers compared to .45

I called my main combat rifle "Charlie" for that reason, since its main purpose was to do Charlie Work (eliminating vermin). Once I got one that did poison damage I called it "Zee Viper" since it wipes out vermin.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Sankis posted:

But 5.56 is also much harder to get in bigger numbers compared to .45

when you get the maxed out ammo getting perk, 5.56 becomes much easier to find

Stink Fuck Rob
Nov 22, 2006
I HAVEN'T BATHED SINCE DECEMBER 4, 2009. ARE U READY FOR A STINK FUCK????

Sankis posted:

Whats even the point of the Assault Rifle when the Combat Rifle outclasses it completely? Am I missing something about it?
The Combat Rifle has the most annoying recoil animation in semi-auto

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
Is it necessary at some pint to invest in some of the weapon damage increase perks? Because at level 20 they are getting pretty spongy.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Most of them cap out at doubling your damage output. That's roughly equivalent to the highest level of gun mods, for comparison. Bethesda is poo poo at writing quests, so you solve everything by shooting something at something, so I don't see how you play this game without either doing that, or finding some marginal work-around to shooting stuff.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I'm really not sure why you wouldn't max one of the weapon damage perks unless you were bound and determined to make the game harder, they double your damage (which is a big deal given how armor works and how you're basically trying to beat thresholds) alongside other bonuses. Like Gunslinger, the pistol one, also increases pistol range and causes your shots to randomly disarm enemies and cripple limbs.

Since skills no longer exist and you get like ten times as many perks to compensate for it, not taking these is tantamount to playing another Fallout game without ever putting a single point in a combat skill. You could, I guess, but even in the early ones that mostly allowed a pacifist playthrough it was deliberately handicapping yourself not to invest in Small Guns.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Since skills no longer exist and you get like ten times as many perks to compensate for it, not taking these is tantamount to playing another Fallout game without ever putting a single point in a combat skill. You could, I guess, but even in the early ones that mostly allowed a pacifist playthrough it was deliberately handicapping yourself not to invest in Small Guns.

Actually a majority of Fallout games allow you to play builds that can solve quests without putting a single point into damage output skills.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
I'm still not terribly far in this game, but from what I've gathered from the Brotherhood of Steel, they are from Lyon's Pride back in Fallout 3. In that game Bethesda pretty much wrote them to be the "good guys" against the Enclave "bad guys." That meant they were sort of a defective group of the B.O.S. at that point and didn't really follow the Brotherhood's ideals. That was the whole reason the Outcasts existed. They were dudes that left Lyon's Pride because they wanted to get back to being what the B.O.S. was all about, being dicks to everyone. Now in Fallout 4, Lyon's Pride seem to be dicks again. Quite flip flopping B.O.S.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

sector_corrector posted:

Actually a majority of Fallout games allow you to play builds that can solve quests without putting a single point into damage output skills.

I'm kind of curious if the extremely careful way that sentence was worded ("allow" and not "encourage", "can solve quests" and not "play the game without getting loving annoyed all the time") was deliberate or not

The quests in FO1/2 are less combat centric and offer more alternative resolution methods but a "pacifist" playthrough is still a kind of challenge run, and it's really smart and not difficult to raise one combat skill alongside Speech, Science, etc

Either way the answer to that dude is the same, get a goddamn weapon perk in FO4

Baku fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 21, 2015

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
I wish that the latest Nvidia drivers would stop crashing Fallout 4 for me, because from the 10 seconds I got to see of actual gameplay with it on, it does seem to run quite a bit better. I'm on Windows 10 and got them from the site instead of the Geforce Experience app. It seems like I'm just going to have to roll them back and keep checking for a newer driver/Fallout 4 patch.

AgentJR
Jun 5, 2011

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
Oh no, I've started noticing when I go to trade with settlers that my custom awesome guns keep SOMEHOW ending up in their inventories... Guess I'm moving my home home away from the city hub lest they steal all my guns and kick me out :tinfoil:

EDIT: Thinking about it, it was only weapons that they already had ammo for. Pimped out .38 guns beware

AgentJR fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 21, 2015

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

I called my main combat rifle "Charlie" for that reason, since its main purpose was to do Charlie Work (eliminating vermin). Once I got one that did poison damage I called it "Zee Viper" since it wipes out vermin.

that's what the ripper is for, just hold down M1 and charge through all the ghouls and molerats you want. no ammo required.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

vrath posted:

I am a huge fan of the awkward DJ.

OH GOD WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE.

He's amazing.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Funky Valentine posted:

Note for later: convert drive-in to massive basketball court
If you saw the picture of my lit-up Dogmeat-house, in the background there's a cattle paddock surrounding the "ramp" up to the top of the diner.

That's because I stand on top of the ramp and drop all the balls in my inventory and let them pile down there with the brahmin. Of course the cow could always move up onto the roof and be unmolested but it's stubborn. :(

Also, in the same picture I'm standing beneath a basketball net. Marking out the boundaries used up too much build allowance though. ;)

edit: also, basketball nets are great for hanging lightbulbs from, and the plain bulbs are the best light for your buck by far.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Nov 21, 2015

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Seems like the game should be making a much bigger deal about (Vault 81 spoilers) the fact that I'm now infected with an apparently very deadly and extremely contagious disease. Like, what about romances? If a bite can transmit this, what about sex? What if I sneeze on someone in Sanctuary?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

I'm really not sure why you wouldn't max one of the weapon damage perks unless you were bound and determined to make the game harder, they double your damage (which is a big deal given how armor works and how you're basically trying to beat thresholds) alongside other bonuses. Like Gunslinger, the pistol one, also increases pistol range and causes your shots to randomly disarm enemies and cripple limbs.

I tried doing this and also not getting the Mod perks, and ended up running out of ammo and then caps and stimpacks because I wasn't keeping my damage output up to the level of enemies on Hard or Very Hard.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Recently playing through Fallout 1 I can tell you this: While the main questline does give you multiple options to get to your goal, be it fighting, talking or sneaking, this is not true for most of the sidequests.

I got pretty pissed when I figured out the only way I can help that one guy's raider problem in his farm is to barge in the front door (which is the only entrance) and shoot everyone.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bholder posted:

Recently playing through Fallout 1 I can tell you this: While the main questline does give you multiple options to get to your goal, be it fighting, talking or sneaking, this is not true for most of the sidequests.

I got pretty pissed when I figured out the only way I can help that one guy's raider problem in his farm is to barge in the front door (which is the only entrance) and shoot everyone.

I've got some really bad news for you when you finally play Fallout 4.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

I'm kind of curious if the extremely careful way that sentence was worded ("allow" and not "encourage", "can solve quests" and not "play the game without getting loving annoyed all the time") was deliberate or not

The quests in FO1/2 are less combat centric and offer more alternative resolution methods but a "pacifist" playthrough is still a kind of challenge run, and it's really smart and not difficult to raise one combat skill alongside Speech, Science, etc

Either way the answer to that dude is the same, get a goddamn weapon perk in FO4

If by "extremely careful" you mean "accurate", then yes.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
so Home Plate can't be linked with a trade route?

Why the gently caress would I want to do anything there then?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Harrow posted:

Seems like the game should be making a much bigger deal about (Vault 81 spoilers) the fact that I'm now infected with an apparently very deadly and extremely contagious disease. Like, what about romances? If a bite can transmit this, what about sex? What if I sneeze on someone in Sanctuary?

Man I did the quest and only noticed the consequence on me (since I was a nice guy) after reading this thread. -10 HP? Eh I can live with it.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Is there any underarmor that's better than the vault suit? I was excited when I saw that a Brotherhood of Steel uniform fit under armor and had stats comparable to an un-upgraded vault suit, but the fact that you can't mod it like you can the vault suit is disappointing.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm a bit lost in the main quest. I just got the data from the Institute back to the dude who asked for it and wasn't given the next quest in the chain. I have a turn-in to the Railroad leader, but all she cares about is me chosing either them or the Minutemen and won't let me turn it in (Memory Interrupted.

I have a Institute-based mission that I don't want to do; do I have to do it to progress the main plot?

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 21, 2015

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

MisterBibs posted:

I'm a bit lost in the main quest. I just got the data from the Institute back to the dude who asked for it and wasn't given the next quest in the chain. I have a turn-in to the Railroad leader, but all she cares about is me chosing either them or the Minutemen and won't let me turn it in (Memory Interrupted[/spoiler[.

I have a [spoiler]Institute-based
mission that I don't want to do; do I have to do it to progress the main plot?

How stupid do you have to be to be confused by quest design that's essentially following an arrow?

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

sector_corrector posted:

I've got some really bad news for you when you finally play Fallout 4.

Thing is, expect such thing from Fallout 4, not from the holy example of Perfect classic RPGs that are well known for their alternate pathways.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pakled posted:

Is there any underarmor that's better than the vault suit? I was excited when I saw that a Brotherhood of Steel uniform fit under armor and had stats comparable to an un-upgraded vault suit, but the fact that you can't mod it like you can the vault suit is disappointing.

The stats on the vault suit are a drop in the bucket overall.

That said, when you meet the Railroad faction, you can do some quests for them and learn how to add ballistic weave to a selection of under-armor clothes and outfits. Not as many as I'd like, but you can do things like give Military Fatigues 90 damage/energy resistance and then also wear armor on top of it.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
People seem to like Cait but looking at her wiki page she sounds like an rear end in a top hat. Supports you siding with the Brotherhood but disapproves of you joining? What?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Has anyone else had problems with massive broken-as-gently caress textures stretching through all terrain all the way to the horizon when they look in a certain direction, after fast traveling? It happens semi-rarely but often enough that it's annoying the poo poo out of me and I want it to stop.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Magmarashi posted:

Those don't look like any of the three tiers of store available

What category are they under? I've never seen them in the menus

Kimmalah posted:

Settlement shops are under the big cash register icon in the build menu, second to last I think.

Baronjutter posted:

Caravan stops?? How do you get those?

Here we go, I'm puzzled as to why it requires no concrete to build mind.

Shannow fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 21, 2015

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Harrow posted:

You an always romance the robot sidepiece.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bholder posted:

Thing is, expect such thing from Fallout 4, not from the holy example of Perfect classic RPGs that are well known for their alternate pathways.

You are amazingly loving stupid.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

sector_corrector posted:

How stupid do you have to be to be confused by quest design that's essentially following an arrow?

Perhaps you didn't click the spoiled bits, but I thought I made it clear that there's no arrow pointing me anywhere at the juncture I'm in. There's the first quest in the Institute chain, but I've no interest in that chain.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

MisterBibs posted:

Perhaps you didn't click the spoiled bits, but I thought I made it clear that there's no arrow pointing me anywhere at the juncture I'm in.

The main railroad quest as it relates to the main plot is Underground Undercover, have you completed that?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Shannow posted:

I don't have that available to build at all, what the hell.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Makes sense that you would get that AFTER Bunker Hill becomes your settlement

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

Perhaps you didn't click the spoiled bits, but I thought I made it clear that there's no arrow pointing me anywhere at the juncture I'm in. There's the first quest in the Institute chain, but I've no interest in that chain.

Perhaps you should just put the person that seems dedicated to being as big of an obnoxious rear end in a top hat to you like he has a vendetta on ignore cause he's never going to have anything constructive to say to you

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Magmarashi posted:

Perhaps you should just put the person that seems dedicated to being as big of an obnoxious rear end in a top hat to you like he has a vendetta on ignore cause he's never going to have anything constructive to say to you

lol

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Shannow posted:

Magmarashi posted:

I don't have that available to build at all, what the hell.

Apparently it's also a quest reward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

JawKnee posted:

so Home Plate can't be linked with a trade route?

Why the gently caress would I want to do anything there then?

why, indeed

• Locked thread