Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Help, I got Tepig as my partner and I can't think of a name for them.

Bacon
Pork Chop
Moo shu
Cutie
Bulbasaur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Hambone

e: Waddles

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Zhu Bajie

Oolong

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Going with this. Thanks!

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

so is using that early salamence as broken as it sounds

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Help, I got Tepig as my partner and I can't think of a name for them.

Napoleon
Minch
Hogwash
Hickory
Ganon

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Brother Entropy posted:

so is using that early salamence as broken as it sounds

He peaced out after I used him once, so I dunno.

I haven't bothered checking, because I have Raichu now and why would I use anyone else?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Yeah I feel like the penalty to those level 50 guys is that once you use them it takes a lot of missions for them to be available again. I'm trying to stick to Rotom as my go-to. Does anyone know if the leaked EXP to inactive party members is 100% of it or what?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

i haven't even gotten to the point where I can recruit pokemon yet..........

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

My Salamance prostrat turned out to be to spam the wand that causes sleep and Alliance.

He was pretty broken the first time I used him, but I bet that he's one of the Pokemon that's going to be busy often.

You should always walk around town, by the way. You can recruit Pokemon with a speech bubble and a red "!".

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

hopeandjoy posted:

You should always walk around town, by the way. You can recruit Pokemon with a speech bubble and a red "!".

I got one of those for Unown Z, who apparently starts a line to Y, and then X...

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

mabels big day posted:

i haven't even gotten to the point where I can recruit pokemon yet..........

I've been watching jessica jones all day and I've only gotten past saving goomy

I'm sorry

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Strange Quark posted:

I got one of those for Unown Z, who apparently starts a line to Y, and then X...
Make your team Unown XYZ

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I just got to the part where we got made 'Junior' Explorers and got the orb and gear and poo poo. Still need to do the first mission but I can only assume after that I can start recruiting mons and all. I'm at chapter 7 now to be at this point, it was a long rear end intro but not bad long, the classes were cute segments and had poo poo like the crazy vice principal and the return of the magnet pokemon tree sheriffs. I don't think any Mystery Dungeon game has had a FAST intro, especially this one explaining stuff like the gems and all, so I'm ok with a long intro that's well done.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Zore posted:

Yep.

Its actually even weirder with how the new recruitment system works. Essentially you can recruit one of each pokemon with this grid thingy. But you can still evolve them.

So you can have a Charmander/Charmeleon/Charizard or Charizard/Charizard/Charizard and you can never get another Charmander/Charmeleon.

Its a weird system.

That's loving fail

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Oh wow, they're introducing traps a lot earlier than in earlier PMD games.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
They're making more of those mega poncho Pikachu. Just look at these little guys!

EndTask
Dec 26, 2008
Quiz suggested Mudkip... but Bulbasaur was my starter when I played Blue on my motherfucking Gameboy Pocket... is Squirtle a fair middle ground? Blastoise is way cooler than Venusaur, gently caress it imma delete this game ughghgh

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

EndTask posted:

Quiz suggested Mudkip... but Bulbasaur was my starter when I played Blue on my motherfucking Gameboy Pocket... is Squirtle a fair middle ground? Blastoise is way cooler than Venusaur, gently caress it imma delete this game ughghgh

i think you're a big kid who can make his own decisions

probably

EndTask
Dec 26, 2008

Blhue posted:

i think you're a big kid who can make his own decisions

probably

I went with Squirtle, thought process being I'll pick my good buddy Bulbasaur as my partner... then the game suggests Pikachu as my partner, which is Yellow version nostalgia, this game is tearing me apart

edit: someone tell me Pikachu is some universal suggestion so I can pick Bulbasaur in peace

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

I was going to pick Riolu, but the game suggested Torchic who is a pretty great starter... so I did the quiz again and got Torchic again with different questions so just went with it, and the game suggested Riolu as a partner afterwards.

I have not played any of the PMD games, but this one does seem cool so far and worth picking up for anyone with any interest.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

You absolutely have to respect the quiz.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

That's the one I went with.

I've noticed that the other characters in the game always repeatedly say your partner's name to avoid using gender specific pronouns, probably to avoid kids going "But I wanted my partner to be a boy/girl!" I mean the better solution would be to allow you to pick gender for your partner (I would say for you too but nobody seems to refer to you with pronouns anyway, just "the new kid" or whatever) but I guess maybe that would be too difficult to do.

I only just learned how to use Alliance attacks and quit before I got to the next part of the story, the emera system is pretty neat.

Cerony posted:

They're making more of those mega poncho Pikachu. Just look at these little guys!

I like the Pinsir one the best.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

mabels big day posted:

You absolutely have to respect the quiz.

It knew me better than I knew myself...

Benach
Aug 15, 2013
There are so many great features and changes in Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon it's amazing. From little things like random sparkly item drops on the overworld, to massive things like being able to immediately swap yourself/your partner poke out once you get extra pokemon. With GtI's "Everybody gets all of the experience." Hell, instead of being "Struggle in a random direction", Splash has neat utility. "Your flopping efforts finally pay off. You jump over an enemy or a teammate and get behind it."

This game is amazing.

Edit: Why the gently caress are TMs single use again?? You can't even recycle them??? Also, you can't remember some starting moves like Froakie Aerial Ace because it's a TM move I guess? Well, I found a bad thing about the game, I guess.

Benach fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Nov 21, 2015

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Pastrymancy posted:

Guys was I supposed to recruit the Salamence early :stare:

I had a bunch of blast seeds and put him back to sleep repeatedly until he died and now he's like 30 levels higher than everyone else

That's what I did, minus the Blast Seed. I just put him to sleep repeatedly with those status Wands and now he's on my team.

Then a few missions later I got a Dragonite who's level loving 55 and I don't even know what to do anymore!

Also I don't have to have my player character and partner in the party all the time? :stare: This is a potential game-changer. Time to assemble some teams!

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

...I just realized shared EXP means I don't need to use my leader and partner all the time since they'll level up anyway. I need to build up a coolio team, right away!

Although I'm curious: if they shared EXP level up, do they learn a move they normally would have learned, like mons in the daycare? Or do you just have to have it "remembered"?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

If it's the same as Gates, then they'll level up the moment they step in a dungeon, at which point they'll learn all the moves inbetween.

Benach
Aug 15, 2013

Crosspeice posted:

If it's the same as Gates, then they'll level up the moment they step in a dungeon, at which point they'll learn all the moves inbetween.

It may not be the same. In GtI, they also gained all of the levels they would. In Super, pokemon level up even if out of dungeon. You can still remember all moves for free via the move tutor, but at least some starting moves may not be rememberable since those are not normally learned by the pokemon. At least Froakie's Aerial Ace and Chespin's Pin Missile cannot be remembered at the point I'm at, but maybe Chespin can remember it after level 18.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
so i've never played a mystery dungeon game but i am intrigued by this game and got my paycheck yesterday, can someone explain to me like, how recruitment works and maybe which starters are best for new players? just fundamentals stuff, if someone made a post like this already i apologize, i haven't really read the whole thread

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

so i've never played a mystery dungeon game but i am intrigued by this game and got my paycheck yesterday, can someone explain to me like, how recruitment works and maybe which starters are best for new players? just fundamentals stuff, if someone made a post like this already i apologize, i haven't really read the whole thread

recruitment in this one is different from past games, before it was a percentage chance whenever you beat a random 'mon wandering in a dungeon they'd want to join; now it's really integrated with the sidequest system, so doing things for pokemon will make them your friend and willing to fight with you and reveal their friends on this giant interlocking web of pokemon who might have their own sidequests to get them to join you

it's cool as gently caress imo

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

The starters are pretty much balanced the same. Other than the obvious fact you want your partner to not be the same type to spread out type advantages, you can pretty much pick whoever. Except Chikorita I guess because it's more of a support Pokemon unlike every other starter.

Recruitment is way easier; once you're officially a team, completing a request nets you the Pokemon who made that request at the least. (Sometimes a related Pokemon in the line or one you met on the mission might come along.) You can also recruit Pokemon by talking with Pokemon around town.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

hopeandjoy posted:

The starters are pretty much balanced the same. Other than the obvious fact you want your partner to not be the same type to spread out type advantages, you can pretty much pick whoever. Except Chikorita I guess because it's more of a support Pokemon unlike every other starter.

Recruitment is way easier; once you're officially a team, completing a request nets you the Pokemon who made that request at the least. (Sometimes a related Pokemon in the line or one you met on the mission might come along.) You can also recruit Pokemon by talking with Pokemon around town.

Yeah, in the old games recruiting anyone specific was a huge pain in the rear end and some pokemon had negative recruitment rates.

quote:

Under optimal circumstances... The recruitment rate of Kecleon would be 0.5%, or otherwise 1/200.
Kecleon has a -49.5% base recruitment rate. Being lv 90+ gives you +24% rate, holding a golden mask or amber tear is +25% rate, and fast friend IQ skill is +1% rate.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

recruitment in this one is different from past games, before it was a percentage chance whenever you beat a random 'mon wandering in a dungeon they'd want to join; now it's really integrated with the sidequest system, so doing things for pokemon will make them your friend and willing to fight with you and reveal their friends on this giant interlocking web of pokemon who might have their own sidequests to get them to join you

it's cool as gently caress imo

oh that sounds cool, i remember hearing horror stories about people having like only a 1% chance to recruit pokemon in the other games and it scared me off, that system sounds way more fun.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

That only Pokemon that were really hard to recruit in those games were ones that you could evolve, or not really matter to the overall story. If you have the chance to play the other PMD games, definitely do so, they're great.

...well, maybe not Gates. But it's not... terrible. Maybe.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

hopeandjoy posted:

The older revruitment system was better

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Do emeras that affect the map just not work unless you equip them on your leader? I picked up a Clairvoyant emera which says it displays the location of items on the map, but I put it on my partner and it doesn't seem to work.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Looplets and Emeras are a pretty awesome replacement for the old hold items. Really, most of the quality of life stuff introduced in this game is awesome, like being able to push your partners instead of always switching, the AI being much smarter, and moves having more range than just the binary of "right next to you" and "in a line forever."

This game is what Gates should have been and then some. Owns.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Twelve by Pies posted:

Do emeras that affect the map just not work unless you equip them on your leader? I picked up a Clairvoyant emera which says it displays the location of items on the map, but I put it on my partner and it doesn't seem to work.
As far as I can tell, yeah, they need to be on your leader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Does Super Mystery Dungeon have all the Pokemon this time.

• Locked thread