Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

they are inextricably linked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

:lol:

Of course they keep him instead of all the people that wrote for Grantland that were actually cool and talented.

Really, this shouldn't come off as a surprise. EVP of Creative Triple H let it air without seeing any need to inform his friend so of course Shoemaker's gonna defend it.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

I need to find that three hour shoot DVD he did with Paul Bearer.

This just showed up in my youtube recommendations:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfViSrlN2kg

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

How extensive is the Observer Newsletter Archive? Could I find Newsletters from 1982 or earlier on there?

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Burt Buckle posted:

How extensive is the Observer Newsletter Archive? Could I find Newsletters from 1982 or earlier on there?

Goes back to about mid-1991, and has uploaded up to the tail end of '98 from there.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Burt Buckle posted:

I think it's something like 1990-1998 (with back issues getting put up weekly from 1998-onwards) at this point. The really old stuff was typewritten and would have to be manually transcribed, and I think Dave just doesn't have the time/inclination to do that.

There are places to find that stuff, though.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Nov 21, 2015

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I think Dave sells old physical back issues too but I don't know how far they go back. If you're looking for something specific that you can't find he can probably help you out.

I found the February 17, 1986 issue online and lol

Feb 17, 1986 posted:

Apparently the Roadies are much better being used as an attraction on occasional shows rather than on a regular basis, as RW fans appear to want to see them once or twice, then go on to other things besides watching wrestling matches. It’s like Hulk Hogan, who the WWF carefully books so he doesn’t appear too often in any market except Chicago and Bloomington, MN where he’s needed. Every now and then, he’ll pop a big house. On a regular basis, he’ll wear himself out. I recall when Hogan appeared seven straight shows in the Bay Area in 1984 (before he was being booked so expertly, they were just using him to death) that the gate dropped for each show until it was down to about 3,500.

Steve Borden (Blade Runner Sting) separated his shoulder and is out of action. The got rid of the other Blade Runner, Jim Hellwig. Both were going to be fired anyway within a few weeks. Do you realize that since those two stiffs started, they’ve made every issue of the Observer.

Since I’m always writing negative things, it’s only fair to praise Steve Williams and Rob Rechsteiner (Scott Steiner) who saved a few lives pulling two men out of a burning car back in December. I think I mentioned the incident a few issues back in passing but wasn’t sure.

Marty Jannetty wrestled a prelim, complete with entrance music. The big news is, Verne’s going to try and “get with it.” Check out this originality: Jannetty and Shawn Michaels will be teaming up as The American Express, another Ricky Morton & Robert Gibson rip-off team.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

I think Dave sells old physical back issues too but I don't know how far they go back. If you're looking for something specific that you can't find he can probably help you out.

No specific event, just want to see Meltzer's coverage of the WWF going from Vince Sr. to Jr. and the WWF's takeover of the territories.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Luigi Thirty posted:

Everything about this is great

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
There's some line from like 1987 that's like "Shawn Michaels is reportedly a great heel, though apparently it's not all an act", lol.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
"Dixie"

"No. I want my child to be a success."

harley
Sep 2, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

Meltzer always hated Sting. At least he's consistent.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

ayn rand hand job posted:

"Dixie"

(off-mic) WHERE'S MY THING

*hoooooooooonk*

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Aesop Poprock posted:

Everything about this is great

Dave's writing style and snarkiness are unchanged over 40 years. That reads just like last week's Observer and it rules.

The Meltz: Then. Now. Forever.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

We're getting pretty close to the '99 WONs being uploaded to the site.

I am so god drat giddy to read those Nitro recaps.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

ayn rand hand job posted:

"Dixie"

Whitney's,"I KNEW IT!" when she found out Matanza was wrestling-related cracked me up.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

drat Luigi that was a good find

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Here's the whole issue and it looks like there's more

http://www.infinitecore.ca/superstar/index.php?threadid=76021

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Luigi Thirty posted:

(off-mic) WHERE'S MY THING

"Ok, I found it"

"My boyfriend's back..."

"GODDAMN YOU"

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
Great TNA story on cubsfan's latest podcast. They wanted a Latino star and (indirectly?) contacted him asking who they should hire from Mexico. They whittled the list down to La Sombra and Aerostar. Who did they end up with? Amazing Red in a mask.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

ah yes, Sangriento

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Luigi Thirty posted:

Here's the whole issue and it looks like there's more

http://www.infinitecore.ca/superstar/index.php?threadid=76021

quote:

Somebody tell Ric Flair that the Space Mountain act is getting stale

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Spermgod posted:

Great TNA story on cubsfan's latest podcast. They wanted a Latino star and (indirectly?) contacted him asking who they should hire from Mexico. They whittled the list down to La Sombra and Aerostar. Who did they end up with? Amazing Red in a mask.

What's wrong with Tigre Uno?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Listening to Jericho's podcast, there is something perfect about the thought of Luke Harper in jeans and dirty wifebeater sitting on a couch watching Gummo

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
There is a guy affiliated with Dave who sells back issues. They are xeroxed but I got the 1982 year and it was really cool.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Listening to Jericho's podcast, there is something perfect about the thought of Luke Harper in jeans and dirty wifebeater sitting on a couch watching Gummo

I assume the couch and the house are exactly like the ones in Belly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvTn-8BhVQc

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Burt Buckle posted:

What's wrong with Tigre Uno?

He wrecked his shoulder at their last PPV.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Bryan Alvarez, 2010 - "I just can't see AJ Styles drawing any real money, I see way more money in The Pope."

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

"Are you telling me [A-list celebrity] is more well-known to people than ROYCE GRACIE!? I've never heard of him!" -Bryan Alvarez, various points in the last ten years

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Glamorama26 posted:

The Meltz: Then. Now. Forever.

Are there any Observer travelogues about Japan?

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Arbite posted:

Are there any Observer travelogues about Japan?

There are some from the '92 issues on the site, and also some tidbits in Misawa's obit and Kobashi's retirement issue. He talks a lot about the Toyota/Yamada hair match which I'm pretty sure is his favorite match he saw in person.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Luigi Thirty posted:

"Are you telling me [A-list celebrity] is more well-known to people than ROYCE GRACIE!? I've never heard of him!" -Bryan Alvarez, various points in the last ten years

Bryan "I named my kid after a wrestler and not the music star" Alvarez

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Fauxhawk Express posted:

He talks a lot about the Toyota/Yamada hair match which I'm pretty sure is his favorite match he saw in person.
Not the Chi-Town Rumble match?

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.
This Charlotte story was the perfect storm of Dave Meltzer issues. Someone who comes in thinking that WWE is super scummy and idolizes Ric Flair is going to have a strong reaction here. (And he's also completely right.)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Euthyphro posted:

Someone who comes in thinking that WWE is super scummy and idolizes Ric Flair

You're gonna need to narrow this down :ohdear:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Euthyphro posted:

This Charlotte story was the perfect storm of Dave Meltzer issues. Someone who comes in thinking that WWE is super scummy and idolizes Ric Flair is going to have a strong reaction here. (And he's also completely right.)

What I found interesting was Dave's conclusion that the original news story about Del Rio making crazy money was in fact right, and he felt bad for calling ADR's friends liars for feeding him the story.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

dsriggs posted:

Not the Chi-Town Rumble match?

Okay, we need :vince: but with Dave

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
"The shoe is on the other foot and they don't even wear shoes" is one of the better Observer lines as of late.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

mariooncrack posted:

"The shoe is on the other foot and they don't even wear shoes" is one of the better Observer lines as of late.

hahah yeah.

Also that 80s Observer has the line "Someone should tell Ric that the Space Mountain routine is getting stale"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Imagine wrestling without Dave Meltzer.

• Locked thread