Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
Fallout 4: (PS4)

VATS:
-More than once, VATS has caused my arms to disappear. I can still fire/change weapons/etc, but nothing on screen actually appears. Fun fact: the Pipboy menu is actually a part of your character model. Switching to "third person" mode fixes it.
-VATS has caused the R2 button to lock up, making me unable to use it for anything. I couldn't fire any guns, swing my sword, anything, but power attacks and VATS attacks still worked. Save/Quit and reloading didn't fix it. I had to equip a gun with a scope and go into "scope view" before it fixed itself.
-"Execution" animations in VATS are waaaay too long. When there's other enemies around, particularly in melee range, your character will just stand there like a moron for 3-4 seconds taking hits from enemies while your target "blows up" or whatever. Luckily this one isn't horrible because you can cancel the animation manually with cancel button.
-I really wish I could target parts of the body with melee weapons. In particular hacking off limbs is really helpful against Ghouls, and they're often in melee range, but there's no "chop off left arm" option, just swing wildly and hope.

Gameplay:
-Settlements are grossly under-explained. You're just kind of thrown into it with minimal explanation as to how all the systems work, and while I could appreciate a little bit of "figure it out yourself" game play, this takes it to an extreme.
-Settler management is really really under-implemented. You can't tell what most settlers are assigned to do unless they're actively doing it. Hell, even if each settler was given a new title based on what they're working on, it would be much more manageable. They actually do this when you assign supply routes- supply settlers become "Provisioners" instead. Why not do this for everyone? Farmer, Trader, Scrapper, Defender, easy.
-I really dislike the power armor structure in this game. I appreciate that they're doing something different with power armor because previously it's been "put me on and never ever take me off," but you're not going to explore freely in power armor as the batteries drain too quickly and it trivializes already easy random fights, and meanwhile difficult/boss fights are often sprung upon you, meaning if you have your power armor available for the fight you're probably cheating.
-Melee builds and power armor are intrinsically linked. See above point. You're sort of "expected" to be wearing it to optimally use melee weapons.
-Suicide super mutants are incredibly, incredibly stupid enemies from a lore perspective and a gameplay perspective. It's basically always going to be a OHKO if they get near you, and they're perfectly happy to take you and three of their buddies out. For what? "Somebody is intruding on our base! Better murder half of our defenders to get 'im! :downs:
-I'd really love a guaranteed safe place to store things that isn't based around "raiders are too stupid to ever look here"/"I'm certain noone will stumble upon this".
-More than once I have fast traveled to a dangerous area, and spawned literally a few feet away from an angry mob of enemies, who immediately proceed to slaughter me. One time there was a suicide super mutant three steps away.

Story:
-As others have mentioned, several locations waste so much potential by jarringly swapping to "...and everybody is pissed at you, time to fight!" In particular, meeting Cait at the fighting arena, I was totally expecting a cool ring fighting sidequest, no weapons allowed, but nope, walk in the room, scene plays, 10 raiders try to kill you, collect Cait.
-No, I don't want to join the Brotherhood of Steel. No, I don't want "Speak to Paladin Danse" to sit around in my quest log eternally because I opted not to join. No, I don't want a second "Report to Paladin Danse" quest to suddenly appear as well. "But thou must!" (Obviously this is just a shift of what a Fallout game "is" as has been argued to death over the last few pages, but I miss having the option.)
-That baby was brown, it's not even mine :mad:

SPECIAL/Perks:
-Aside from Charisma, stat checks don't seem to be a thing anymore. That's kind of disappointing. Maybe it was the same in FO3/FNV, I didn't play em, but I still think the game is missing out. Where's my endurance based food-eating contest?
-If you're going to give us stat boosting clothing for the love of God please give us the option to save outfits. I love manually having to equip +4 CHA gear every time I sell something/speak to an NPC just to manually re-equip another outfit and 5 pieces of armor immediately after, every time.
-I'm not pleased that you have to spend a pile of perks to get into crafting, and also that 90% of weapon crafting is upgrading looks/numbers. Legendary items come with all kinds of cool enchantments, why not let me pay a bunch of resources and move those around?
-Given that I am "Plot Guy Everyman," I'm really not inclined to take "personality" perks like Lady Killer, especially when there's vastly superior options and I can put on clothes to skew my stats whenever I need it.

GOD DAMNIT DOGMEAT:
-GOD DAMNIT DOGMEAT GET AWAY FROM THAT
-GOD DAMNIT DOGMEAT I'M TRYING TO PICK THAT UP
-GOD DAMNIT DOGMEAT WHY CAN'T I PET YOU

Yow, this was way longer than I was expecting, but I just kept remembering small gripes. This game needs a lot of work, but ALL OF THIS ASIDE the game is also doing a lot of stuff right and I'm enjoying myself.

(Edit: remembered one more gripe)

Poulpe has a new favorite as of 00:39 on Nov 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Poulpe posted:

-Aside from Charisma, stat checks don't seem to be a thing anymore. That's kind of disappointing. Maybe it was the same in FO3/FNV, I didn't play em, but I still think the game is missing out. Where's my endurance based food-eating contest?

Oh, those are very present in 3 and New Vegas, which makes it all the more disappointing. Hell, New Vegas even had a couple of anti-skill checks, where you'd get an entirely different option to pass if your character was dumb as bricks.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
i love charsima buffing items in rpgs. bonus points if it's a fedora.

Poulpe posted:

-That baby was brown, it's not even mine :mad:

to all those naysayers about headcanon in video games: in fallout 4, you can roleplay as the cucked husband.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Cleretic posted:

Oh, those are very present in 3 and New Vegas, which makes it all the more disappointing. Hell, New Vegas even had a couple of anti-skill checks, where you'd get an entirely different option to pass if your character was dumb as bricks.

The ways to get Arcade Ganon in your team were to get a good rep with the Followers, be gay, be convincing, be so dumb he pities you.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Radstorms. In fallout 4 there are radioactive storms, which aren't a bad idea until you realize that radiation is remarkably deadly in fallout 4 and having a gigantic storm over the entire map you're in, and the only way to avoid it is to fast travel away from this side of the state for like half an hour, is a great way to gently caress you over because radiation builds up super fast in 4 and reduces your max HP until you remove it. To make them even more obnoxious they fill the entire area with a dense green fog making it harder to see in than Dark Souls' blight town.

There's an item you can take where it increases your resistance to Rads which is super helpful during the storms. You can also avoid taking rad damage if you get inside a building or out of the street. Radaways are also pretty cheap and there's a good chance there's one in half the first aid kits you find. Another alternative is to wear a power suit since even the basic one offers a fuckload of resistance (or find a Hazmat suit).

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The ways to get Arcade Ganon in your team were to get a good rep with the Followers, be gay, be convincing, be so dumb he pities you.

I forgot about that one, I was actually thinking of passing the Securitrons at the Strip's gate. Pay up a thousand caps, get a favor from the King, have a high enough Science skill that you know the override password, bypass them by fixing the rail line in for the NCR... or be so stupid that you shout 'ICE CREAM' at them, which just so happens to be the override password the Science check also finds.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Poulpe posted:

-Suicide super mutants are incredibly, incredibly stupid enemies from a lore perspective and a gameplay perspective. It's basically always going to be a OHKO if they get near you, and they're perfectly happy to take you and three of their buddies out. For what? "Somebody is intruding on our base! Better murder half of our defenders to get 'im! :downs:
-More than once I have fast traveled to a dangerous area, and spawned literally a few feet away from an angry mob of enemies, who immediately proceed to slaughter me. One time there was a suicide super mutant three steps away.

-I'm not pleased that you have to spend a pile of perks to get into crafting, and also that 90% of weapon crafting is upgrading looks/numbers. Legendary items come with all kinds of cool enchantments, why not let me pay a bunch of resources and move those around?

I personally love the suicide super mutants because it's just so loving stupid and they scream like 14 year old boys who just lost their league of legends match, but they really are annoying if you're doing any sort of close combat build. There's just no way around them unless you somehow manage to order (or by some fluke) your companion to take them out first. They also teach you very early that fast travelling to anywhere you haven't cleared out before is a huge gamble. Will it be a bunch of raiders who can't do poo poo to you, or will you end up 5ft away from 3 mutants holding nukes?

Surprisingly I only found out that Legendary Radstags carry really good Legendary items by having a Suicide super mutant veer off course and blow one up. Why do loving deer carry armour and weapons with special boosts!? Spent half the game trying to find special enemies to get these weapons and suddenly I find out that loving irradiated deer are carrying the stuff I need? What the gently caress Bethesda.

Poulpe posted:

Fallout 4: (PS4)
-"Execution" animations in VATS are waaaay too long. When there's other enemies around, particularly in melee range, your character will just stand there like a moron for 3-4 seconds taking hits from enemies while your target "blows up" or whatever. Luckily this one isn't horrible because you can cancel the animation manually with cancel button.
-I really wish I could target parts of the body with melee weapons. In particular hacking off limbs is really helpful against Ghouls, and they're often in melee range, but there's no "chop off left arm" option, just swing wildly and hope.

For some reason I've found they've folded those two into one. When you hit either a critical or under some weird circumstances you'll suddenly do some sort of special attack that just straight up one hit kills the other person without targeting any specific bodyparts. Unarmed can do suplexes from sneak attacks I think and I had my character suddenly take out a boss type raider by doing an honest to god dempsey roll with the boxing glove. They really poo poo all over unarmed/melee weapons though, there's just no way to play a non sneak build with them when you have people firing missiles at you :(

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Suicide super mutants are a lot easier to deal with if you just VATS/Jet the arm they're holding the bomb in.
What's annoying is they'll prime their bomb for any reason and they'll never stop beeping until you find them.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
I like it when you can see the nuke carrying super mutants running around in their base, then snipe the fucker amongst his buddies. Clear out an entire super mutant camp with one bullet? :getin: The only issue is I can't figure out what will make the nuke explode every time - sometimes they'll be beeping and if you kill them, nothing happens, other times it'll go boom. Sometimes they'll be unaware and a stealth insta-crit will drop them dead and a second later the bomb detonates. I dunno.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Cleretic posted:

I forgot about that one, I was actually thinking of passing the Securitrons at the Strip's gate. Pay up a thousand caps, get a favor from the King, have a high enough Science skill that you know the override password, bypass them by fixing the rail line in for the NCR... or be so stupid that you shout 'ICE CREAM' at them, which just so happens to be the override password the Science check also finds.

New Vegas had special dialogue if you don't meet the requirement too. For those securitrons you'd say "1C3 CR34M" if you had Science 80. If you had Science 79 or under you'd instead say "Robot! Let me past!"

Edit: one of the funniest things in the game is when you've got to investigate someone suspected of being a drug dealer and the low-skill option is to go up to him and say "Boy... I sure could use some drugs!"

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I'm pretty sure the Strip security bots had the science 80 success being a string of hexadecimal, with "ice cream" being the password for the security at RobCo. (Higher-INT characters get it from a terminal IIRC, and high Luck characters can guess it)

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Ramos posted:

Um, am I reading this right? That's an n factorial algorithm. Either someone was lazy as poo poo or they suck at their job.

edit: No wait, that's just n squared. Still, there's a lot better ways to do that check.

You could easily do this with an O(N) hashset check, unless each in-game card is a uniquely tracked individual entity with only one hashcode which is also its unique trading tracking hashcode, in which case, loving why?

Even so, a not-per-frame O(N2) operation is in no way a big ask for a card deck, unless you can have like 2,000 cards in a single deck. Just check the fuckin' thing once per deck state change, see if it meets conditions, don't check again until there's been another state change, done. Sounds to me like they're a bit too terrified of un-optimised code.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

2house2fly posted:

New Vegas had special dialogue if you don't meet the requirement too. For those securitrons you'd say "1C3 CR34M" if you had Science 80. If you had Science 79 or under you'd instead say "Robot! Let me past!"

Edit: one of the funniest things in the game is when you've got to investigate someone suspected of being a drug dealer and the low-skill option is to go up to him and say "Boy... I sure could use some drugs!"

My favorite is a low barter one with House. "Looks like you're uh... chip out of luck?"

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Not only is making charisma the only thing that affects your options very lame, but I'm not sure having charisma-boosting clothes is great either. It encourages me to put on my clown costume of pretty dress, glasses and cowboy hat whenever I think a conversation might be coming up and then put my other 6 pieces of combat gear back on afterward. It's pointless inventory hassle.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Honestly I just stopped giving a poo poo about conversations. The way it's set up, it's fairly random anyway. You can have 11+ charisma and still fail even fairly basic speech checks or have middling charisma like my character and I've passed pretty much everything except red checks so far if I care to reload enough.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah, LBW is amazingly good and the best Zelda since LTTP.

Also it has a really good soundtrack :yayclod:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4rocqojewM

It has a really good soundtrack. Both the retreads of classic songs and the new music totally own.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Honestly I just stopped giving a poo poo about conversations. The way it's set up, it's fairly random anyway. You can have 11+ charisma and still fail even fairly basic speech checks or have middling charisma like my character and I've passed pretty much everything except red checks so far if I care to reload enough.

That's another thing I just forgot--RNG checks instead of unchanging and visible numbers like new vegas. I don't reload when a check fails but I don't like feeling encouraged to do that. New vegas showed you exactly the stats needed to say the cool dialogue options and there was no RNG.

I really wish there was a fallout that combined 4's gameplay and character with NV's better quests and skill design. As it is I just couldn't play NV for more than one playthrough because the engine was so horribly clunky and the presentation was so dull that it sapped all character out of the game, which made it impossible for me to care about any of the people or setting. But playing fallout 4 really makes me miss the way NV responded to the kind of person you were.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Gestalt Intellect posted:

That's another thing I just forgot--RNG checks instead of unchanging and visible numbers like new vegas. I don't reload when a check fails but I don't like feeling encouraged to do that. New vegas showed you exactly the stats needed to say the cool dialogue options and there was no RNG.

I really wish there was a fallout that combined 4's gameplay and character with NV's better quests and skill design. As it is I just couldn't play NV for more than one playthrough because the engine was so horribly clunky and the presentation was so dull that it sapped all character out of the game, which made it impossible for me to care about any of the people or setting. But playing fallout 4 really makes me miss the way NV responded to the kind of person you were.

Same, except serious.

66 hours into the game, and I think I can now give it a break for some time. Not having anything but charisma visibly affect dialogue choices is a terrible change, especially when NV had so much charm put into it.

Another thing that really bugs me, and I'm sure will be modded eventually: Why do I still have to lockpick and hack stuff when I can literally never fail them completely? The last point in lockpicking makes lockpicks invincible; the last point in hacking means you can never get locked out.

I cannot fail these anymore, but I still have to sit through the animations and menus. Lockpicking isn't so bad, since its still fairly easy. Hacking still has a number of tries, even at the max skill level. If you fail a hack, you have to backout and re-enter, the time it takes varies based on what animation plays to enter/exit the mini-game.

It's not gamebreaking in any way, but it does slow the pace at times.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Same, except serious.

66 hours into the game, and I think I can now give it a break for some time. Not having anything but charisma visibly affect dialogue choices is a terrible change, especially when NV had so much charm put into it.

Another thing that really bugs me, and I'm sure will be modded eventually: Why do I still have to lockpick and hack stuff when I can literally never fail them completely? The last point in lockpicking makes lockpicks invincible; the last point in hacking means you can never get locked out.

I cannot fail these anymore, but I still have to sit through the animations and menus. Lockpicking isn't so bad, since its still fairly easy. Hacking still has a number of tries, even at the max skill level. If you fail a hack, you have to backout and re-enter, the time it takes varies based on what animation plays to enter/exit the mini-game.

It's not gamebreaking in any way, but it does slow the pace at times.

They really should have just made the top tier a "you automatically unlock/hack every lock/computer" instead I'm just not going to be wasting perk points on them because they're useless. I have more bobbypins than god because they put whole boxes of them pretty much everywhere, and even if I didn't back out after wasting 3 tries, computers only lock you out for 10 seconds.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Nuebot posted:

They really should have just made the top tier a "you automatically unlock/hack every lock/computer" instead I'm just not going to be wasting perk points on them because they're useless. I have more bobbypins than god because they put whole boxes of them pretty much everywhere, and even if I didn't back out after wasting 3 tries, computers only lock you out for 10 seconds.

gently caress this kind of game design, seriously. Nullification and especially nullification-with-delay is the worst way to do failure states in games. They should make failure a failure. Something bad should happen. Hacking fail should mean that there's a keyboard security overload, you take damage to your hands and an alarm sounds. Lockpick failure, a newly-spawned guard tases you. Fail too many times at hacking (on the entire map) and some central organisation throws a risky, loot-free encounter in your way.

Imagine if the guides said "Careful about hacking in this area, back out five times and you'll have to deal with a nuke-armed Securitron that spawns on level 2," or "failing at lockpicking in this area leads to a suicide mutant spawning on your level and charging at you, so be ready to drop into VATS on a moment's notice." Points in hacking could warn you about the possible failure state ahead of time and let you weigh up risk and reward, and possibly the top tier could be 'if you trigger the failure state, you also trigger the win state' so you can just mash the 'gently caress up' button a couple times, take out whatever the game throws at you, and get through.

Somfin has a new favorite as of 11:34 on Nov 21, 2015

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

On the other hand, randomly spawning hard enemies behind you because you couldn't guess which pixel the lock wanted you to turn on is more retarded than anything bethesda actually included in the game.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Nuebot posted:

On the other hand, randomly spawning hard enemies behind you because you couldn't guess which pixel the lock wanted you to turn on is more retarded than anything bethesda actually included in the game.

It's not "randomly," it's because you decided to take a risk and hosed up sufficiently (Perhaps I should have made it clear that this would have been after several failed lockpicking attempts?). I'm not in favour of random anything, I'm in favour of a controlled system where the variables are known ("This lockpick is wired to the alarm system. Four failures before guards are summoned.") and failure has meaning.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

But who's guarding a fridge on the beach, and why?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Nuebot posted:

But who's guarding a fridge on the beach, and why?

If you're in the wilderness, the game could just roll on an encounter table for "something local-ish to the area sees you not paying attention to them and decides to chance it." The key point is that at the moment, lockpicking is literally just 'keep playing a terrible and boring minigame for basically free until you win,' rather than 'increase your risk to increase your reward.' I should have to think twice about opening a locked chest in an area with wandering monsters in it, rather than just killing time for the next hour or so while I break some tiny portion of my lockpick hoard.

E: Okay fine that is random something but you get the point, the encounter that shows up is random, but the actual "an encounter is about to show up" is known to the player ahead of time.

Somfin has a new favorite as of 13:12 on Nov 21, 2015

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

That sounds poorly conceived, poorly designed, and would be impossible to implement well. If I'm in full stealth with nobody around, why the gently caress is this file cabinet lock alerting "guards" to my presence.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

RyokoTK posted:

It has a really good soundtrack. Both the retreads of classic songs and the new music totally own.
I generally agree, but there is a theme that is both fantastic and a huge failure:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g75HDyL2BGc
This plays in the final dungeon, and just listening to it on YT, it's great. The subtle variations the main melody gets with each repetition, the constant build-up, the quieter bits and the ridiculous climax at the end. Very good composition.

The problem: the final dungeon, as is to be expected, takes a while, and at least for me, when I'm playing something and figuring out puzzles, the music sooner or later turns into background noise. In this case, it's background noise that is very much not just a 5-second-loop of the same basic (if awesome) melody, but sure as hell sounds like one because all the subtle variations and the build-up are most certainly lost after the twentieth time you heard it fully. In a way, it's just too ambitious in what it tries to do and gets annoying surprisingly quickly. Just misses the point of videogame music.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Somfin posted:

gently caress this kind of game design, seriously. Nullification and especially nullification-with-delay is the worst way to do failure states in games. They should make failure a [i]failure. Something bad should happen.
Wasteland 2 does this and all that did was encourage everyone to save-scum and whine that the game locked them out of things (And the fact there's just so many skills that do basically the same thing too).

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Croccers posted:

Wasteland 2 does this and all that did was encourage everyone to save-scum and whine that the game locked them out of things (And the fact there's just so many skills that do basically the same thing too).

Who said anything about being locked out?

death .cab for qt posted:

That sounds poorly conceived, poorly designed, and would be impossible to implement well. If I'm in full stealth with nobody around, why the gently caress is this file cabinet lock alerting "guards" to my presence.

If you're in full stealth with no-one around, why does the game make you play lockpicking?

But I see your point. My idea is totally impossible to put in play, and the idea that maybe failure should have consequences that aren't just wasting your time is really stupid. All hail Bethesda's well-conceived, well-designed, well-implemented angle guessing game.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
if you fail a hack 3 times, the computer should wipe the drives and now you can't use the terminal.

i've always hated how locked doors and chests can only be accessed with lockpicks or keys. give the guy with explosives skills the ability to blast a safe open or the strength guy the ability to bash doors.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Simply Simon posted:

I generally agree, but there is a theme that is both fantastic and a huge failure:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g75HDyL2BGc
This plays in the final dungeon, and just listening to it on YT, it's great. The subtle variations the main melody gets with each repetition, the constant build-up, the quieter bits and the ridiculous climax at the end. Very good composition.

The problem: the final dungeon, as is to be expected, takes a while, and at least for me, when I'm playing something and figuring out puzzles, the music sooner or later turns into background noise. In this case, it's background noise that is very much not just a 5-second-loop of the same basic (if awesome) melody, but sure as hell sounds like one because all the subtle variations and the build-up are most certainly lost after the twentieth time you heard it fully. In a way, it's just too ambitious in what it tries to do and gets annoying surprisingly quickly. Just misses the point of videogame music.

I dunno, I noticed it change. It only changes to the next variation of the melody after you clear each wing of the dungeon, and there's enough downtime when you move from one wing to the next that I noticed it.

Actually, I think you're right in that I didn't notice the little variations from one loop to the next, but I totally remember the overall sense of escalation as you progress (especially when they layer in Ganon's theme near the end).

e: If you want to talk about what really drags down ALBW music-wise: This is the Hyrule theme. However, once you get the Master Sword, the theme changes to this, which is super overdone and heroic sounding and would be great if it was at like the end of the game and played once. But you get the Master Sword about a third of the way through the game, and every time you go back to Hyrule afterward you get to hear this super heroic theme while you're doing busywork moving to the next dungeon. And the first rendition is just better anyway.

RyokoTK has a new favorite as of 14:59 on Nov 21, 2015

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Uh what? 10 charisma is like auto pass on every speech check.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Action Tortoise posted:

if you fail a hack 3 times, the computer should wipe the drives and now you can't use the terminal.

i've always hated how locked doors and chests can only be accessed with lockpicks or keys. give the guy with explosives skills the ability to blast a safe open or the strength guy the ability to bash doors.

Oblivion was actually awesome because you could just magic poo poo open. I miss that skill. Sneak Mage with zero lock picking just busting poo poo open with magic.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Somfin posted:

But I see your point. My idea is totally impossible to put in play, and the idea that maybe failure should have consequences that aren't just wasting your time is really stupid. All hail Bethesda's well-conceived, well-designed, well-implemented angle guessing game.

Your idea for teleporting schrodinger's consequences is worse somehow. You're amazing. You should work for Bethesda.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Ramos posted:

Um, am I reading this right? That's an n factorial algorithm. Either someone was lazy as poo poo or they suck at their job.

edit: No wait, that's just n squared. Still, there's a lot better ways to do that check.

You can probably get this down to an n log2 n by using a heap sort or something and comparing just one card to the next.

Fake edit: beaten with better ideas:

Somfin posted:

You could easily do this with an O(N) hashset check, unless each in-game card is a uniquely tracked individual entity with only one hashcode which is also its unique trading tracking hashcode, in which case, loving why?

Even so, a not-per-frame O(N2) operation is in no way a big ask for a card deck, unless you can have like 2,000 cards in a single deck. Just check the fuckin' thing once per deck state change, see if it meets conditions, don't check again until there's been another state change, done. Sounds to me like they're a bit too terrified of un-optimised code.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Action Tortoise posted:

I've hated doors and their apparent invincibility ever since Tales of Vesperia. 'Door's locked' I FOUGHT A BEAR WITH ARMS THE SIZE OF TREE STUMPS FIFTEEN MINUTES AGO, WHY THE gently caress IS A DOOR THIS INVINCIBLE BARRIER THAT CAN'T BE BREACHED WITH FORCE?!

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Action Tortoise posted:

This is what happened in Fallout 3. If you failed the hack, the terminal locked you out and you couldn't use the terminal again, unless you took a certain perk. I guess Bethsoft realised the simple workaround (leave terminal, return to terminal), then made that the default instead of limiting the amount of times the minigame could be attempted.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

I've hated doors and their apparent invincibility ever since Tales of Vesperia. 'Door's locked' I FOUGHT A BEAR WITH ARMS THE SIZE OF TREE STUMPS FIFTEEN MINUTES AGO, WHY THE gently caress IS A DOOR THIS INVINCIBLE BARRIER THAT CAN'T BE BREACHED WITH FORCE?!

One of the things I loved most about Deux Ex. Locked door? No problem! I've got my handy all-purpose multitool, AKA A FUKKEN BAZOOKA

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

One of the things I loved most about Deux Ex. Locked door? No problem! I've got my handy all-purpose multitool, AKA A FUKKEN BAZOOKA

JRPGs get pretty wacky so I'm wondering how many make use of doors as a weapon. I've already seen bags and dictionaries utilized like that. And that's just Final Fantasy Tactics.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I reinstalled New Vegas after everyone in here going on and on about how great that game is, thinking I remembered it wrong. It's kind of awful. Are you people talking about the same Fallout: New Vegas that came between FO3 and FO4?

The first thing you notice is the game world is nearly completely empty. The geography is very videogamey, with a huge flat square outlined by mountains and very obvious canyon routes to locations on the side. The quests are buggy as poo poo. You have to deal with degrading weapons. The main quest is hilariously nonsensical. The companions are lifeless except Lily. Every dungeon or building area is way too large for the content they put in (the Boomers area was the worst for this). Also hope you like fighting cazadors, radscorpions and fiends because that's pretty much the whole game.

The worst offender in this game though is the lack of scope in anything. Everything that is built up to be a massive stronghold or huge army is always underwhelming when you get to it. The NCR is like twelve people. The Brotherhood is like six folks in a bunker. The Strip is completely lame and there's no reason you would want to be there if the main quest didn't require it. There are a few very empty casinos with exactly one interesting quest between them. "Welcome to the swingingest spot in the wasteland! Please join the two motionless gamblers on the floor." And of course the climax of the game - a massive clash of armies from opposing factions oops I mean a small kerfuffle between like eighteen people..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Yeah but who cares when you can spend all day every day playing Caravan?