Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

Drastic Actions posted:

At least for now, you can double tap the Windows button to lower the top half the screen down. :v:

Since when has that been a thing?!? Oh that makes life easier!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

DarkMalfunction posted:

Since when has that been a thing?!? Oh that makes life easier!

You can also just hold the windows button as well.

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

Drastic Actions posted:

Also I don't want to do contextual UI for devices.

I just got back from QCON conference where there was an keynote by Bill Buxton (link). He was talking about universal design. He drew this diagram:

healthband ... watch .. phone .. tablet .. 2in1 .. laptop .. desktop .. hololens .. xbox .. hub .. huge hub

He said that too often as developers we start at the middle, designing a UX for "desktop", because that's what they're familiar with. Then they try to stretch it out to the ends.

He said that instead we should start by designing a UX for the tiniest and the largest. They have things in common. For instance, you can't fit chrome around the outside of your app on Watch because there's not enough screen real estate, and you can't fit chrome around the outside of your app on the large hub because humans just can't reach as far -- the solution to both of them is local contextual gestures. His take was that that you should start designing the best UX for the extremes, and then it would naturally work well for desktop too.

bushes
Nov 6, 2003

Kids running around naked fuckin' in the bushes
Anyone else getting good ol error 0x800f081f with the newest build? I love hard resets really I do.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

bushes posted:

Anyone else getting good ol error 0x800f081f with the newest build? I love hard resets really I do.

As my phone is part work part mine I've resisted dicking around with part builds. I don't regret it. After being on the fast track with my 1520 for a few months until Sept ish I'm going to be all high and mighty and state pre-release beta testing is loving pointless. Case in point. Or, indeed, case in point-less.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
I cant believe they are sending out the latest build on actual paying customers new 950s.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

My 929 is dying so I switched back to an android phone. Is there a convenient way to back texts up across platforms?

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

c0burn posted:

I cant believe they are sending out the latest build on actual paying customers new 950s.

Yeah, its clearly incomplete. The conspiracy theorist in me thinks Microsoft chose only ATT as a carrier because ATT has been the best of a bad bunch in allowing updates and they expected to need to update the phones extensively to actual release worthy status. The T-Mobile CEO stated that they hadn't declined to carry the 950 but Microsoft chose not to offer it to other carriers.

Good thing i'm holding out for a 950xl which is proving really hard to actually buy.

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle

Tivac posted:

Hamburger in the top-left is the actual worst possible place for any control. Ugh. Even on my now-relatively-small 925 it's too far for my gorilla hand to comfortably reach.
Readit app has it in lower left corner which makes much more sense and I wish all MS native apps with hamburger would switch to that for mobile versions.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
Are you sending that feedback to MS? I sure did.

Seems like a "fuckit" decision to me. "Hamburger menus are poo poo on the phone. Fuckit. Do it anyway."

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

The reviews are coming in for the 950. In general mediocre at best which I think is not unfair. My reaction to the verge review is that it was obviously a review by someone not particularly familiar with or a fan of the windows phone ecosystem. He glossed over some things that may have warranted more detail in a phone he actually cared about. In particularly, i'd like to see much more on why he says the phone's camera is slow. All the demo's we've seen are anything but.

That said, I can't disagree with his overall sentiment. For a non-windows phone user, there is no reason to buy this phone at the price it sells it. Camera is going to be comparable to Galaxy S6, Nexus 6p and Iphones. Design is subjectively worse (and I really agree the design is bland and uninspired which doesn't go well with its price). Perforemance and battery life are probably comparable. Continuum is neat idea but for most people, having more appis is a better trade off. Windows hello is cool but that cool factor will wear off quickly in favor of a faster and more functional fingerprint reader. Microsoft app support is as good or better on the other devices. I'd prefer if someone more familiar with windows phone did this review like tom warren but I don't think the outcome would have changed. This phone is not a game changed is is really directed at windows phones fans.

Even then, for its price, its not a non brainer. Some of my favorite features are gone inexplicable like double tap to wake or glance peek (just as google is getting more capable with its ambient display features. Its another 3 steps forward, 8 steps back for Microsoft and i'm not sure how much longer they can continue to do this, "wait for the next thing!, it'll be better we swear!"

As for me, i'm probably still going to get a 950xl but i'll have a long look at the galaxy note and iPhone 6s before doing so most likely.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

I'm getting the 950XL but I'm not in a rush. The Note 4 after the 5.1.1 update works great for me. So that'll hold me off for a bit. I'll probably wait and make sure there are no 1520 like build issues. And I think it says a lot that The Verge didn't have Tom Warren review the 950.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
IMO, Microsoft really needs a Surface Phone. They need something that shows they are fully committed to mobile not just with the software (UWP is basically a gift to Windows Phone users to try and get more apps on the platform) but with hardware. The specs on the 950/950XL are nice, but they do look like Nokia phones with Microsoft branding. The Surfaces show that Microsoft can have nice hardware and hardware designs when it wants to, but these phones are just... blah...

Windows Hello's Iris scanner looks cool, but fingerprint is so much faster. Continuum looks cool, but I can't see how useful that would be for me besides it being a novelty.

Eh, maybe next time :v:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

The Ars Technica review is better than the Verge review, but does come to pretty much the same conclusions. He does suggest that the 950's camera is better than other flagships, but not by a large amount.

I'm putting the latest build on my phone now. If I like it, I'll probably get the 950 at some point. v:v:v

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Eh; after reading the reviews, I don't know if I will get the XL. My 1520 runs fine right now.
Is this a phone that was originally a Nokia design? It kind of looks like it and I hope they go to a surface phone for their next flagship.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah looking at these reviews I might take at least a generation off, which is a sad thing to type out :(

I'll poke around the AT&T store and see if Android feels any better to me than it did the last time I used it, I guess.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

Eh; after reading the reviews, I don't know if I will get the XL. My 1520 runs fine right now.
Is this a phone that was originally a Nokia design? It kind of looks like it and I hope they go to a surface phone for their next flagship.

From what I understand they're the last of the Nokia designs. I'm sure Microsoft tweaked them a little bit but yeah basically Nokia. I'm interested to see what (if anything) the Surface team comes up with.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

.Tim posted:

From what I understand they're the last of the Nokia designs. I'm sure Microsoft tweaked them a little bit but yeah basically Nokia. I'm interested to see what (if anything) the Surface team comes up with.

Yeah that makes sense. Considering the design direction that MS is going, these look way way different, and that's not a good thing.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

I was kind of wondering if Joe Belfiore's "sabbatical" was an indication that MS knew their flagship W10 phones were looking like turds.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

FYI, Microsoft is doing 10 cent app/games deals for the next 10 days. I'm assuming a lot of this stuff is cross buy, but either I am an idiot or the windows 10 store doesn't make that super clear (is everything cross buy now)?

http://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2015/11/20/10-days-of-10-cent-deals-in-the-windows-store-starts-today/

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
I think they really don't care if the 950s sell. Windows Central wrote an article about MS repurposing the Surface Mini into a phablet, targeting a digital notepad much the way the Surface Pro series it's about being a tablet laptop and the Surface Book is about being a laptop and digital clipboard. That makes sense to me, as the head of the surface team took over phone hardware after the 950 was finalized. Next year there will probably be a surface phone with active digitizer support and an intel processor. They just had to get a flagship out this year because they can't afford to go three years without one. They should have sold them at a huge loss to get more people using them. That's just my opinion though.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Verges review is not good news, but it did nothing to deter me from buying the 950 the moment I can. Holy hell Android is infuriating me, on an almost daily basis.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I mean, I didn't see Jurassic World in theater, I'll watch that poo poo for a dime tonight. (Probably snapped on my Xbox One All In One Media and Entertainment device but)

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

CalvinandHobbes posted:

The reviews are coming in for the 950. In general mediocre at best which I think is not unfair. My reaction to the verge review is that it was obviously a review by someone not particularly familiar with or a fan of the windows phone ecosystem. He glossed over some things that may have warranted more detail in a phone he actually cared about. In particularly, i'd like to see much more on why he says the phone's camera is slow. All the demo's we've seen are anything but.

That said, I can't disagree with his overall sentiment. For a non-windows phone user, there is no reason to buy this phone at the price it sells it. Camera is going to be comparable to Galaxy S6, Nexus 6p and Iphones. Design is subjectively worse (and I really agree the design is bland and uninspired which doesn't go well with its price). Perforemance and battery life are probably comparable. Continuum is neat idea but for most people, having more appis is a better trade off. Windows hello is cool but that cool factor will wear off quickly in favor of a faster and more functional fingerprint reader. Microsoft app support is as good or better on the other devices. I'd prefer if someone more familiar with windows phone did this review like tom warren but I don't think the outcome would have changed. This phone is not a game changed is is really directed at windows phones fans.

Even then, for its price, its not a non brainer. Some of my favorite features are gone inexplicable like double tap to wake or glance peek (just as google is getting more capable with its ambient display features. Its another 3 steps forward, 8 steps back for Microsoft and i'm not sure how much longer they can continue to do this, "wait for the next thing!, it'll be better we swear!"

As for me, i'm probably still going to get a 950xl but i'll have a long look at the galaxy note and iPhone 6s before doing so most likely.

While I like the verge for news I have generally stopped reading their reviews. What I glean from most of their reviews is that they're incredibly committed to the Android ecosystem often overlooking or underselling features on Apple or Windows phones.
But yeah, the other reviews share their end conclusion. I keep hoping for an x86 phone.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I mean they still rate everything Apple does at a minimum of 8.8 though

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Still confused about the 950xl, is it a microsoft store only thing or is it ever going to be on At&t?

scavok
Feb 22, 2005

katkillad2 posted:

Still confused about the 950xl, is it a microsoft store only thing or is it ever going to be on At&t?

Microsoft Store only, but you can buy it and use it on AT&T's network, or any other carrier.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

scavok posted:

Microsoft Store only, but you can buy it and use it on AT&T's network, or any other carrier.

But it's listed on AT&T's site:
https://www.att.com/cellphones/microsoft/lumia-950.html#sku=sku7760237

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

That's the 950. They're talking about the 950XL, which has a bigger screen and a slightly better processor (I would like to know if it offers real-world benefits though).

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Oh whoops, I don't reads well apparently. Well that sucks, so does that mean you'll have to pay the full price up front with the XL at the MS Store?

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
Can i just say why have I not had wireless charging in my life before now? I never though having to plug my phone in was as much as a hassle but now I feel like I have just found central locking or electric windows.

Spent less than £10 on eBay to be able to do this.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

So, in preparation for either getting a 950 or getting something else, I'm gonna format my wonky SD card that can be read by my 8.1 phone but not by my computer or when I tried updating to WP10.

The one thing on it I'm worried about, that's not backed up somewhere else, is my playlists. I made some playlists via the Music app on the phone, and (a) they're not showing up on the Windows Phone App for Desktop or in Media Player, and (b) I can find them in File Explorer but they're... weird. There are these weird files whose filenames are what appear to be the name of the playlist followed by a GUID with no file extension, and if I open them in Notepad++ they are completely empty. I definitely can't use those to recreate the playlists on a non-WP device, and I'm skeptical whether I could use them on a different WP device too honestly. The Internet is thus far completely unhelpful regarding how to back up WP-created playlists. Playlists you make on your computer and sync to the phone, yes; the other way around, no. Anyone ever done this before or have any thoughts?

e: the playlists are actually on my phone rather than the SD card, come to think of it -- the equivalent folder on my SD card has a bunch of WPL and ZPL files that do not appear to correspond to my created playlists and have names like "Library.wpl" and "Last Played.wpl". I still want to back the playlists up so that I can put them on a different phone.

loquacius fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Nov 21, 2015

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Can i just say why have I not had wireless charging in my life before now? I never though having to plug my phone in was as much as a hassle but now I feel like I have just found central locking or electric windows.

It's the main reason I haven't switched to anything else yet. I was gonna go Android but the new Nexus lineup has no Qi, and I love my little stand. It's sad that it's become the dealbreaker for me.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

CalvinandHobbes posted:

Well, that's just it - it's not getting better. As you said, it's more steps back than forward when it needed to accelerate progression continuously years ago. Instead, from WP 7.5 on, every release gets some features but loses others, gains some performance but loses some, apps get re-written multiple times and seemingly abandon what was good about the previous. It's continually changing the foundation for the sake of some ridiculous 'unified' goal that only MS cares about.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Drastic Actions posted:

IMO, Microsoft really needs a Surface Phone. They need something that shows they are fully committed to mobile not just with the software (UWP is basically a gift to Windows Phone users to try and get more apps on the platform) but with hardware. The specs on the 950/950XL are nice, but they do look like Nokia phones with Microsoft branding. The Surfaces show that Microsoft can have nice hardware and hardware designs when it wants to, but these phones are just... blah...
I fail to see how a 'Surface' phone would change anything. The only period of sustained sales success WP has really had was with the 520 when it was just so clearly superior to everything else in its price range people could overlook the app gap. The vast, vast majority of sales for WP have been decidedly low-end. WP needs sales above all else, and the fact of the matter is people are not going to shell out for a premium device without the ecosystem support - making a WP phone now in a very nice case wouldn't change that.

scavok
Feb 22, 2005

Foxtrot_13 posted:

It is by far my favorite feature. I loved my 920 and I still have my Nokia Qi charger pad that my 950 is sitting on now. I never understood why it hasn't caught on to more mainstream phones. 3 years ago I figured I'd be able to buy desks or nightstands with charging pads built in, or go to a coffee shop and put my phone on a table and charge it. I guess it has to wait for Apple to build it into their phone.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"That site is so biased. I mean, they always give out great review scores to those devices that are massively successful and always get great reviews"

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

I fail to see how a 'Surface' phone would change anything. The only period of sustained sales success WP has really had was with the 520 when it was just so clearly superior to everything else in its price range people could overlook the app gap. The vast, vast majority of sales for WP have been decidedly low-end. WP needs sales above all else, and the fact of the matter is people are not going to shell out for a premium device without the ecosystem support - making a WP phone now in a very nice case wouldn't change that.

Oh no no no, I don't mean to say a Surface Phone would magically make Windows Phone relevant in the marketplace, and I fully agree that no right minded person (besides Windows Phone fans :v:) would buy such a high end phone for that price. I fully agree with you :).

I just mean if you want to keep enthusiasts happy (the ones who are left anyway) giving the phone hardware itself the showing it needs would be good. As all the reviews say, it's got nice internals but it look and feel is the same as their low end phones. If I took a 650 and 950 side by side and asked someone to name the prices on them, I'm willing to bet people would put the 650 as more expensive then it actually is and the 950 as less expensive. But the designs and feel are basically the same. The 950 and 950 XL were never going to change Microsoft's standing in mobile. Hell based on their introduction, they knew that. A Surface Phone would not have changed it either, but it probably would got a lot more good will out of fans than the tepid response there is now. "Welp, it's better than nothing" is lame.

But yeah, none of them are going to sell well.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

scavok posted:

It is by far my favorite feature. I loved my 920 and I still have my Nokia Qi charger pad that my 950 is sitting on now. I never understood why it hasn't caught on to more mainstream phones. 3 years ago I figured I'd be able to buy desks or nightstands with charging pads built in, or go to a coffee shop and put my phone on a table and charge it. I guess it has to wait for Apple to build it into their phone.

Samsung has put it on their S6 phones so it could be the start and I expect the only reason why the iPhone doesn't have it because it would add 0.2mm to the case. If Apple can make it flatter or merge it with some thing in the case I can see Johnny Ive wanting to get rid of the lightning port. Imagene the clean lines you can get with no chargeing port and everything done over QI/NFC/Bluetooth/WiFi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

"That site is so biased. I mean, they always give out great review scores to those devices that are massively successful and always get great reviews"

Engadget specifically went out of their way to complain that the surface doesn't come with a pen, and at the same time didn't complain at all that the Ipad Pro also doesn't come with a pen.