Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
My facebook feed only uses the middle third of my monitor. I don't care if I can change this, it should just KNOW.

Also, when I open my facebook messages and click on the typing bar, I get a tooltip that says 'Write a message..' right over where I'm typing so I can't see my message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

CJacobs posted:

Looking at this is filling me with a creeping existential dread.

You know those old sci-fi stories about dystopian futures where happiness does not exist, and people live in constant misery while clinging to whatever tiny distractions they can buy?

Those already happened. We call it the United States. Fortunately, if you are able to make enough money, you can flee to the small towns or denser cities where life is more sensible. Or better yet, flee to a better country.

In the grim darkness of North America, there is only suburbs. :911:

The Skeleton King fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 20, 2015

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

CJacobs posted:

God I wish Google would stop trying to make everything Google-related automatically save my entire identity. All of my passwords are saved by google. All of my credit card information is saved by google (Except for the CVV and phew what a lifesaver, a 3-digit code is definitely hard to crack when you have the rest of the cc#, for sure). My address is saved by google. Every time I log into gmail or youtube or on a google-enabled device it shares that stuff with whatever I'm using it on. I told it not to save any of my poo poo and it did it anyway and I have no idea how to make it forget it all and never do it again, and I know inside that the answer is "there is no way, welcome to the future of easily steal-able identities", but there should be a way.

<guy does a google image search for "busty japanese babes" back in 2011 on a laptop in his dorm>
<gets married Summer 2015>
<wife uses android phone to google "bus route">
<husband spends next 3 nights in the doghouse>

Blistex fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 20, 2015

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Melmac posted:

Which tab is which? :shrug:

Unfixable via any add-ons, by the way (something about Chrome not allowing access to its visual styles).

The coolest part is that Chrome used to have built in options to have multiple rows of tabs or even a vertical tree of tabs down the left side of the window.

Then one day they removed all of the options because "we didn't really want that feature, it was just, like, an experiment guys :rolleyes:."

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

The coolest part is that Chrome used to have built in options to have multiple rows of tabs or even a vertical tree of tabs down the left side of the window.

Then one day they removed all of the options because "we didn't really want that feature, it was just, like, an experiment guys :rolleyes:."

This seems to be the norm for Google. Make something better, get people using it, and then either poo poo the bed and make it terrible, cancel it, or ignore any issues that arise after medium/long term real world use.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

God I wish Google would stop trying to make everything Google-related automatically save my entire identity. All of my passwords are saved by google. All of my credit card information is saved by google (Except for the CVV and phew what a lifesaver, a 3-digit code is definitely hard to crack when you have the rest of the cc#, for sure). My address is saved by google. Every time I log into gmail or youtube or on a google-enabled device it shares that stuff with whatever I'm using it on. I told it not to save any of my poo poo and it did it anyway and I have no idea how to make it forget it all and never do it again, and I know inside that the answer is "there is no way, welcome to the future of easily steal-able identities", but there should be a way.

It's not a bad design if you don't know how to change your privacy settings dude

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
The CD jewel case. Made of a brittle plastic with vulnerable parts (the cover tabs and bits that hold the cd in place) that frequently break. Not so much a bad design per se but bad choice of material.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

FPzero posted:

Yeah but why the gently caress do you need that many tabs open at once. You can only look at one per window at once.

Seriously, if you have 50 tabs open at once, why?

This. I have tops 5 at any time.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Once the favicons disappear I take that as a sign to clean up my tabs. The design decisions in chrome are focused around maximizing the amount of space used to display the actual webpage, multiple rows of tabs would completely fly in the face of that.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Every few months I get caught out by the fact if I tell my laptop to switch off, then if I don't wait until it has fully shut down and stopped whirring before I close the lid, it will pause the shutdown, and instead go to hibernate. And then of course, when I re-open the laptop, it will leave hibernate mode and freak out for a couple of minutes before completing the shutdown. Very helpful!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

serious norman posted:

This. I have tops 5 at any time.

Lol what an amateur. I have 5 open in this window right now.

Again, Opera to the rescue.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Squalitude posted:

Every few months I get caught out by the fact if I tell my laptop to switch off, then if I don't wait until it has fully shut down and stopped whirring before I close the lid, it will pause the shutdown, and instead go to hibernate. And then of course, when I re-open the laptop, it will leave hibernate mode and freak out for a couple of minutes before completing the shutdown. Very helpful!

This. It's 2015, how have laptop manufacturers / Microsoft not figured this out yet? On macs, it works as expected-- completes the shutdown even though you've closed the lid.

Also, all you people complaining about tabs, holy poo poo just use a different window or something there is no reason for 30 G-D tabs open at once. Take your ritalin to curb the adhd

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

mobby_6kl posted:

How much RAM does that use?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

therattle posted:

The CD jewel case. Made of a brittle plastic with vulnerable parts (the cover tabs and bits that hold the cd in place) that frequently break. Not so much a bad design per se but bad choice of material.

Dont forget the stupid tabs keeping the cover in that rip it if you try to put it back in.
Its interesting they stuck with such a flawed design for just so drat long. In comparison the DVD case design is pretty much perfect and simpler to manufacture.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Nutsngum posted:

Dont forget the stupid tabs keeping the cover in that rip it if you try to put it back in.
Its interesting they stuck with such a flawed design for just so drat long. In comparison the DVD case design is pretty much perfect and simpler to manufacture.

I'm guessing that the jewel case is all about weight/size for cheaper shipping costs.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

dee eight posted:

I'm guessing that the jewel case is all about weight/size for cheaper shipping costs.

Doesn't excuse the brittle material.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

GreatGreen posted:

How much RAM does that use?

Depends on how you want to measure it, but around 1.2GB:

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Chrome and firefox have a cool feature called bookmarks or favorites if you will. They let you navigate back to a specific page you may want to go back to later.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Majere posted:

Chrome and firefox have a cool feature called bookmarks or favorites if you will. They let you navigate back to a specific page you may want to go back to later.

Sounds like a gimmick. Ill keep hard copies in my URL notebook.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Chrome will probably use more memory to just display the bookmarks, so thanks, but no thanks.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

mobby_6kl posted:

What version are you using? My opera looks totally different and lost about 90,000 different options once it went "Chrome".

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Chrome used to have a mode that made it use one process instead of like 10-15 in exchange for almost imperceptibly worse performance, but they took that out because ????

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
Why doesn't the Infiniti have infinity sign head/taillights???

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Why don't they use the infinity symbol anywhere?? Seems like a huge missed opportunity

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

CJacobs posted:

Chrome used to have a mode that made it use one process instead of like 10-15 in exchange for almost imperceptibly worse performance, but they took that out because ????

Because giving each tab it's own thread means that when one shits its pants over a dodgey webpage, it doesn't drag the others down with it. It's actually good design to enforce.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

revmoo posted:

US Suburbs are the absolute worst. You can't just pop down to the local corner store on foot/bike/scooter, there isn't one. So you need get in your car to drive there, as does everyone else, and thus it's traffic everywhere at all times, which means you might as well do your shopping once a week/month to save time, which means you need a big car to fit everything, which means you need a bigger house to fit your 2.5 SUVs which means you need to work longer hours to afford the lifestyle which means you have no time outside of work which means you need to pay for basic things like lawncare because you're so busy and the cycle just loving repeats until you die.

This is a sad but true post.

As for bad designs, how about the automatic flushing toilets at stores. The ones where if you move the slightest amount, it flushes while you're still sitting, spraying dirty poo poo-water all over your rear end, balls, and legs. After it happens the first time, you sit as perfectly still as possible, but then when you reach for the toilet paper, it just flushes and sprays you all over again.

johnny sack fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 22, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Serephina posted:

Because giving each tab it's own thread means that when one shits its pants over a dodgey webpage, it doesn't drag the others down with it. It's actually good design to enforce.

It still freezes the whole browser when that happens though

edit: But then again, I guess you didn't specify that it actually works

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I'm gonna make my own browser

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Is there a reason USBs couldn't have been made so you could plug them in upside down as well? I swear to god I guess the wrong way every time I try to plug one in.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

OctoberBlues posted:

I swear to god I guess the wrong way every time I try to plug one in.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

OctoberBlues posted:

Is there a reason USBs couldn't have been made so you could plug them in upside down as well? I swear to god I guess the wrong way every time I try to plug one in.

The ones I hate are mini and micro USB https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Mini_and_micro_connectors It is not always so easy to tell which way is up at a glance, and sometimes it will seem like it is going to fit at first even if you are putting it in the wrong way.

Can't wait until vendors come together and start building wireless charging into sofas and other stuff.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

TheMostFrench posted:

Can't wait until vendors come together and start building wireless charging into sofas and other stuff.

Haha if you think wireless charging will improve things.

I have a Samsung wireless charger and in an effort to make it appear slick and futuristic, they built it as a round hockey puck with "smart" orientation so that in theory you can just place your phone in any orientation and it will work. In practice it means that you will need at least three attempts to locate the phone on the charger before it will detect it. Making things worse is that there is a delay between setting down the phone and charging starting, so you'll set it down and it won't charge so you go to move it 1mm and right as you do it kicks on which means you get to try again.

All of these issues would be solved by using a cradle or some sort of locating pins to properly align the phone. As it is, using a cable is the faster and more convenient choice.

Also it was $40 which is a ridiculous price to pay for an inductive loop and an IC.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Boy have i got some good news for you USB whiny babies then because the new standard (USB C) can be plugged in either way and is visibly quite different from either mini or micro.

BelgianWaffle
Aug 25, 2002
damn Belgian

A misanthrope posted:

lol if you have to acknowledge the existence of other, lesser people

http://time.com/money/3018706/separate-entrances-affordable-housing-new-york-city/

I get a hard on for such things. I'd love to walk my children through the golden gate, reprimanding them for even looking at the poor door people.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

TheMostFrench posted:

The ones I hate are mini and micro USB https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Mini_and_micro_connectors It is not always so easy to tell which way is up at a glance, and sometimes it will seem like it is going to fit at first even if you are putting it in the wrong way.

IKEA makes desks and end tables that are wireless chargers. Of course, that means that you have to have IKEA furniture, so it's not a perfect solution.

I don't really understand how wireless charging works, but would it be possible to make a suped-up one that could charge from several feet away? That way so long as you were in a certain part of your living room or inside your car it was charging?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

:laffo:

So looks like I'll be sticking with Opera 12 forever.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

criscodisco posted:

I don't really understand how wireless charging works, but would it be possible to make a suped-up one that could charge from several feet away? That way so long as you were in a certain part of your living room or inside your car it was charging?

They basically work by using the near effects of two coils, like a transformer. This limits you to fractions of the wavelength of whatever frequency you're using, so you basically have to compromise between distance (higher frequency = shorter wavelength) and power (higher frequency = more energy). As it is the coils have to be incredibly carefully tuned as well (both physically and electronically) to even work at all. I doubt we could make something that could charge small devices from more than a foot or so away, but maybe we could make something that could trickle-charge it, supplying only a few hundred milliamps. It wouldn't be enough to sustain it while you used it but it could charge it (incredibly slowly) when you're not using it at least :shrug:

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Nov 22, 2015

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Yeah but unlike Chrome, you can always just download a Firefox add on (like Tab Mix Plus) to get you back your rows of tabs.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

CJacobs posted:

It still freezes the whole browser when that happens though

edit: But then again, I guess you didn't specify that it actually works

No, it doesn't, at least not for me. Is your computer poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

:laffo:

So looks like I'll be sticking with Opera 12 forever.

holy loving lol

we've actually gone from "it's not a bug" to "it's a prank experiment bro!!"

• Locked thread