Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Croc Monster posted:

I really want something halfway between the six and the plus.

Mm yes, I think you hit the nail on the head here. I would love to see what Apple could come up with at that size. Sounds perfect.

Unfortunately they're coming up with a lovely sub-6S size phone instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I know the Android thread uses cardboard cutouts to figure out how to get their big gigaphones into cargo shorts so maybe try that?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Michael Scott posted:

How do you fit the 6S+ gigantaphone into your pocket? I'm considering it but I'm still suspicious of its size.

I just switched to the 6s slightly-less-huge size last week and it feels too big coming from a 5s. The 6s+ would be monstrous. The 6s is really uncomfortable to use the top of the screen on and the it feels awkwardly large in my pocket without a case.

I'm adjusting, but it's not great. They really need to offer a smaller screen option with the 7.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

BGrifter posted:

The 6s is really uncomfortable to use the top of the screen on

Tap but don't push the Home button twice with a TouchID finger

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Michael Scott posted:

I would love to see what Apple could come up with at that size. Sounds perfect.

I think it would look like a 6 halfway between the 6 and 6+.

I would also like to see two phones between the 6 and 6M (the M is for medium) and the 6M and 6+. Also 4 more phones between the previous 5.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Three-Phase posted:

I'm trying out this app that lets me get geotag data for when I'm out taking photos, that'll save me $95 alone and it's more flexible than Nikon's solution.

Which one are you using? I have MotionX-GPS which seems pretty decent. Still annoys me I have Nikons top of the line crop camera, and it's not a standard feature. Paying additional for it is annoying but I don't want things sticking out of my camera unnecessarily. The logs work fine with MotionX so it'll do, but I only use it sporadically whereas if it was inbuilt it'd be on constantly.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Pivo posted:

Tap but don't push the Home button twice with a TouchID finger

Yeah squishing the screen works, it's just super clunky.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
It's actually not clunky at all.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Hopefully the iPhone 7 will have smaller size bezels relative to the screen, so it'll be easier to one-hand.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But the 6s bezels are already razor thin? If your case has any kind of lip on it, it can actually interfere with swipe gestures because there's so little gap.

Unless you mean the gaps at top and bottom.

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation
I've read rumours that the 7 will have a version sized the same as the 5. If they go 4s sized that'll be a day one purchase.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Croc Monster posted:

I really want something halfway between the six and the plus.

This is where I'm at. I vastly prefer the plus to the six, but something just a little smaller would be perfect.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

If they stuck a cellular radio in the current iPod Touch I'd be happy as a clam.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

IuniusBrutus posted:

If they stuck a cellular radio in the current iPod Touch I'd be happy as a clam.

They still sell the 5S, though.

There's a rumour about a small iPhone 7, who knows though. The "solid" rumour about the iPhone "5SC" turned out to be false.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I just hope they maintain a variety of sizes because now that I'm cucked by the big black dick of the 6s I can't go back to a little girly man screen.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Any smaller factor phone would likely be another "C" phone; last gen spec in a different shell, because that would directly go for the portable facebook machine demo that bought the last one.
I foresee much moaning ahead, because there's no chance apple will launch 4 new handsets to suit every whim.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Lol if you ever think they're going back to 4s size

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Personally I am pretty sure the iPhone 7 will come in 7, 7+ and 7/ models. The 7/ is going to be a sidekick style slider.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Blinkz0rz posted:

I can only get this to work occasionally. I feel like there has to be a weird trick to trigger it reliably.

I feel like you have to wait for the cursor to start blinking, whether you were just typing or moved it. If the cursor is still solid, the 3D Touch won't register and you'll just end up typing another letter.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Lol if you ever think they're going back to 4s size

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I would love an iPhone 5 sized phone. This 6s, the bigger screen is nice sure but it cramps my hands after holding it one handed for a while.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Evolution will take care of you tiny handed unters

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Boris Galerkin posted:

I would love an iPhone 5 sized phone. This 6s, the bigger screen is nice sure but it cramps my hands after holding it one handed for a while.

Masturbate faster?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Snowy posted:

The iPhone Thread: cucked by the big black dick of the 6s

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
How do people feel about the tempered glass screen protectors for the 6s plus? I already have a spigen case but was thinking about the screen protector as well. I do have AppleCare.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Rhaegar posted:

How do people feel about the tempered glass screen protectors for the 6s plus? I already have a spigen case but was thinking about the screen protector as well. I do have AppleCare.

What are you expecting it to do? They're pretty pointless generally. Also you have a lovely piece of glass that could slide off your phone and slit your throat while taking a call.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

ddogflex posted:

What are you expecting it to do? They're pretty pointless generally. Also you have a lovely piece of glass that could slide off your phone and slit your throat while taking a call.

This is now my reason of choice when people ask me why I stopped using screen protectors.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
In Cellular Data usage, in the per-app breakdown there's a "System Services" category, and under it there's a subsection named "General".

Is there anything specific that that represents? It accounts for a sizable chunk of my data usage every month.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

In Cellular Data usage, in the per-app breakdown there's a "System Services" category, and under it there's a subsection named "General".

Is there anything specific that that represents? It accounts for a sizable chunk of my data usage every month.

I'm thinking that apple reorganized how that's displayed in iOS 9. I am still on iOS 8 and I see a bunch of general type services enumerated(find my iPhone, Game Center, Apple ID services, media service). I'm thinking they decided to consolidate all that, as I do not see a 'General Services' entry.

It's just Apple Stuff in the background.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

3 questions of varying ease to answer/stupidity:

1. Sanity check, I don't need to do anything bar backup my old phone before I change to my new one do I?

2. How terrible is the unsubscribing process from Apple Music? Will it automatically delete all music I have downloaded and revert back to my old library?

3. iCloud photo library: I get that it keeps lo res versions of photos but is there no way to keep all photos in iCloud and not have them on a device? I just seem to have the option to delete from both.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

Dugong posted:

3 questions of varying ease to answer/stupidity:

1. Sanity check, I don't need to do anything bar backup my old phone before I change to my new one do I?

2. How terrible is the unsubscribing process from Apple Music? Will it automatically delete all music I have downloaded and revert back to my old library?

3. iCloud photo library: I get that it keeps lo res versions of photos but is there no way to keep all photos in iCloud and not have them on a device? I just seem to have the option to delete from both.

1. A standard iCloud backup or encrypted iTunes backup is all you need.

2. Lol good luck

3. Nope. But the low res photos probably take up very little space. Plus they get deleted if your phone needs to use the space for something else.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Rhaegar posted:

I'm using the OtterBox Alpha Glass and I love it. It's amazingly clear, and other than the fact that I can see the little gaps around the home button and camera, I can't even tell I have a protector on it.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

ddogflex posted:

That is the gooniest response I've ever seen regarding tempered glass protectors. They're cheap, they've always took the fall when I've dropped my phone (although this is still debatable if it actually helps, I'm of the "yes it does" camp), they usually have better oleophobic coating than the plain screens do, and your finger glides much better around the screen. For less than $10 and a quick 5 minute installation they're a much better option than the lovely 4-pack of "High Defintion (HD) Clear Screen Protectors - Maximum Clarity and Touchscreen Accuracy" protectors for barely less. It's more of a "why not?" question imo

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
or spend nothing and use the most perfect screen of all time

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Now that I've started reselling my iPhones on Swappa I'll never go without a screen protector. It just isn't worth the drop in resale value that scratches cause.

Mudoubleha
May 20, 2001
I have no title and I must scream.

Snowy posted:

Now that I've started reselling my iPhones on Swappa I'll never go without a screen protector. It just isn't worth the drop in resale value that scratches cause.

Glass screen protectors have saved my screen far too many times when I dropped my phone.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mudoubleha posted:

Glass screen protectors have saved my screen far too many times when I dropped my phone.

But that's not how it works. Shock is shock and sandwiching more glass onto a sheet of glass isn't going to do anything.

If you want to save screen shatters, you need an enormous bumper case with big soft edges.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Snowy posted:

Never used a screen protector but also never had a scratch. Not sure what 2 say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I already have a small scratch on my 6S and it arrived on day 1. You can't see it unless you look for it though.

Like three years down, people don't care so much. I wonder how much this 1200 CAD phone is going to be worth in 3 years anyway.