Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Protons
Sep 15, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

It's the best perk in the game bar none, even if you have decently high intelligence.

Wanna make a real big dumby with high luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

khy posted:

Looks like the Low-LOD meshes didn't vanish when I got close enough. Me and dogmeat were walking through them. I hate LOD bugs more than anything. Sure, they're harmless but they annoy me so much because they ruin my desperate attempts at finding SOME kind of immersion in the game :(

Set iTexMipMapSkip=-1 in FalloutPrefs.ini. Fixed it for me when I ran into it at Thicket.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Protons posted:

Wanna make a real big dumby with high luck.

I played a couple of hours as a 1-int idiot savant guy and it triggers a lot. Seems cool.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Is there any way, with console commands or something, to silence weapons that don't have a silencer mod? Because some enemies are pretty much impossible to get stealth crits on it seems unless you're using one. Children of the Atom, for example, hear my gun faster than bullets hit them when pretty much every other enemy I've run into gets stealth critted by the first shot.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Been looking at pictures of other people's settlements for ideas to steal, really liked what this dude did with Starlight Drive-In.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

On Terra Firma posted:

I put a point in scrounger later in the game (I'm level 46) but by that time I had around 33-34 and found them everywhere. There's a hardware store where you get some paint for someone at one point, and on the top shelf there is an ammo container that has 4 full cores in it every time it resets.
Okay I'll bite: where is this magical spot?

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Walrus Pete posted:

I played a couple of hours as a 1-int idiot savant guy and it triggers a lot. Seems cool.

Does it enable really fast leveling?

Also wow no gun nut?

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Walrus Pete posted:

Well apart from the noise. (Although triggering it via VATS kill and hearing the laugh go HURR HURR HUee hee when time speeds up is kinda silly.)

Protons posted:

Also wow no gun nut?

Go melee, you'll have high STR enabling armourer and blacksmith, shame you don't have access to science for some of the melee/PA upgrades though.

E: also remember you can always find modded guns and use the workshop to remove the mods and then just attached them later to your preferred weapon of the same type.

FairyNuff fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Nov 22, 2015

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Protons posted:

Also wow no gun nut?

I'm running Savant now with 3 INT and it's just fine.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Is three intelligence low enough to proc idiot savant readily? Is there a significant increase in the percentage of profs if intelligence is at 1? I can't imagine not taking gun nut at the least, and you need an I of 3 for that.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Protons posted:

Is three intelligence low enough to proc idiot savant readily? Is there a significant increase in the percentage of profs if intelligence is at 1? I can't imagine not taking gun nut at the least, and you need an I of 3 for that.

Idiot savant is always worth it, even at 10 int.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Are there better generators? I find myself needing 300 power for my settlement but I can't easily fit 30 of the 10 generators in the space I have.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Here is the complete breakdown of how idiot savant works. Note, that I disagree with people in this thread saying it's the best perk in the game or it's always worth it even at high int. It's worth more than a point of int even at high int, but 5-6% faster experience gain is not necessarily the best use of a perk (unless you save scum quest rewards). It's really good if you have low int, though, since two ranks in the perk give you more exp at 1 int than you would get at 15 int without it. It's still good at 3 int, but not as good as at 1 - you'll lose about 6% xp gain. You'll still gain xp faster on average than a character with 14 int without the perk, however.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Protons posted:

You can strip mods off guns that enemies have dropped. Gun Nut isn't all that necessary.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

How do I continue the Railroad questline? I am still waiting on the quest to free all the synths, after killing some guards so the synths could steal materials, I was told to wait and keep working with Father, and it's still stuck there. The next Brotherhood quest requires me to make enemies of the Institute, and the next Institute quest wants me to make enemies of the Brotherhood, so is that the only way forward from here? I suppose it's time to burn some bridges?

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Is this real: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_UqcLpElUU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I've been playing for sometime now: built up a few settlements; ran a bunch of side missions; did some exploring; followed the main quest line. One thing I don't give a poo poo about? Actually protecting the settlements. No matter how many times one of my settlements is raided, I just don't care. I go back and my junk is still in storage waiting to be crafted with. There are no consequences for not defending these places.
Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe the raiders are taking all my adhesive when I'm not around.

All this and Cinnamon isn't among the names.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Thin Privilege posted:

The conversation of her going "no"?

Yeah, with Cait bringing up the threesome thing. It sounds funny.

Protons posted:

Has anyone made an idiot savant?

Yes. Savescumming for 5x exp rewards on quests owns.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

I wonder how much they paid this guy to record all this poo poo.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Is there something I'm missing with the Eddie Winter quest for Nick? I gave him the holotapes, went to the metro, then when I got to the keypad all I can do is click on it and it does literally nothing. Does Nick need to open it or something? He didn't seem to follow me there, and the game said that we'd "part ways for a while" or something after I gave him the tapes.

No guide has mentioned any problems with the keypad, they just tell you to use it.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

khy posted:

Looks like the Low-LOD meshes didn't vanish when I got close enough. Me and dogmeat were walking through them. I hate LOD bugs more than anything. Sure, they're harmless but they annoy me so much because they ruin my desperate attempts at finding SOME kind of immersion in the game :(

It is extremely common for LOD textures to screw up for people here, including me. No idea why. It'll probably be one of the first things fixed in a Bethesda patch, though.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

King Vidiot posted:

Is there something I'm missing with the Eddie Winter quest for Nick? I gave him the holotapes, went to the metro, then when I got to the keypad all I can do is click on it and it does literally nothing. Does Nick need to open it or something? He didn't seem to follow me there, and the game said that we'd "part ways for a while" or something after I gave him the tapes.

No guide has mentioned any problems with the keypad, they just tell you to use it.

I had that, make sure all the raiders are dead, and go find where he's standing. He's not technically your follower at that point, and his scripting seems to break really easily if you use the wrong entrance to the underground.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

BearsAreBros posted:

So should I just drop the minutemen and go with something else? Not seeing much love for them.

All of the factions are kind of stupid and their endings are all the same boring poo poo, it's just that the Minutemen are the least stupid and the least evil. They let you do stuff with the Railroad and vice versa while the BoS and Institute lock you out of every other faction.

I kind of wonder how many people around the internet have figured out the current Brotherhood of Steel are evil yet? Because it's about as subtle as a brick, which for a lot of people probably means it's too nuanced to be noticed at all.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

Pope Mobile posted:

I've been playing for sometime now: built up a few settlements; ran a bunch of side missions; did some exploring; followed the main quest line. One thing I don't give a poo poo about? Actually protecting the settlements. No matter how many times one of my settlements is raided, I just don't care. I go back and my junk is still in storage waiting to be crafted with. There are no consequences for not defending these places.
Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe the raiders are taking all my adhesive when I'm not around.

All this and Cinnamon isn't among the names.

As far as I can tell, raids that go undefended just end up breaking poo poo like water pumps and generators, which means you'll have to spend some resources repairing them to get back up and running but other than that I haven't noticed anything. Maybe they kill some settlers or something but yeah, the stakes there are really low.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

I'm considerably annoyed that the Tesla upgrades for PA don't actually add any visual changes. What the gently caress, Beth

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I love that they had him record names like "gently caress" and "Assface" just to mess with people who name their character something silly. I like to think that somewhere, some kid got Fallout 4, named his character Boobies, and leapt out of his seat when Codsworth called him Mister Boobies.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So this is probably the most I'm ever going to put into a settlement :effort: I would like to make the lights re-randomize every time it blinks back on but for the life of me I can't figure out how to do it, the computer doesn't reapply its commands when it powers back on. Is there any way to make it do that?

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
Is it just me or is the map really small? Even Skyrim felt bigger. I think I'm burned out of this game after only 50 hours. The game play is such a cutout from Skyrim, and the quests such a step back from new Vegas that I can't handle it anymore.

Well I hope you guys have more fun than I do.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Phenotype posted:

How do I continue the Railroad questline? I am still waiting on the quest to free all the synths, after killing some guards so the synths could steal materials, I was told to wait and keep working with Father, and it's still stuck there. The next Brotherhood quest requires me to make enemies of the Institute, and the next Institute quest wants me to make enemies of the Brotherhood, so is that the only way forward from here? I suppose it's time to burn some bridges?

You have to do the next Institute quest if you want to continue with the Railroad.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
So, how does keeping junk items un-scrapped in the workbench actually function? If I have a duct tape, let's say, and I use an adhesive to make something, is the duct tape automatically scrapped? What happens to the other ingredients (in this case cloth)? Are those just wasted and deleted, or are they appropriately split up? I hate that the game doesn't ever make this clear. I've been dropping all my un-scrapped junk on the ground and scrapping it just to prevent that from happening in case that is the case but do I even need to do that??

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Nuebot posted:

So this is probably the most I'm ever going to put into a settlement :effort: I would like to make the lights re-randomize every time it blinks back on but for the life of me I can't figure out how to do it, the computer doesn't reapply its commands when it powers back on. Is there any way to make it do that?

I have no clue but this is really cool.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

ToxicAcne posted:

Is it just me or is the map really small? Even Skyrim felt bigger. I think I'm burned out of this game after only 50 hours. The game play is such a cutout from Skyrim, and the quests such a step back from new Vegas that I can't handle it anymore.

the map is smaller than skyrim but also more dense. skyrim was empty as gently caress

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

ToxicAcne posted:

skyrim was also full of "cant climb this slightly too steep mountain so i have to walk around" which makes it seem bigger than it is. i havent seen many instances of this in FO4, especially with the jetpack power armor.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

I have no clue but this is really cool.

The lighthouse is actually a pre-built settlement, the lightboxes were all I did :( still, 30 fat generators and all of my copper!

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Is it just me or do laser weapons seem oddly weak? Comparing my laser rifle and .45 combat rifle, they have roughly the same damage rating, but the laser seems to do a lot less damage per shot. And my laser sniper rifle seems especially weak compared to a .50 rifle that ostensibly does less damage.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Ugh. Me lee in this game is Not Good, and in an hour of playing savant only procd once.

gently caress.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Protons posted:

Ugh. Me lee in this game is Not Good, and in an hour of playing savant only procd once.

gently caress.

Melee has a slow start but it's crazy powerful when it gets rolling. You'll need VATS, though. Get 9 Agility for Blitz, high Luck for all the critical hit traits, and high Strength and Endurance.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Echoing the "all of these songs were in FO3" but at least the Diamond City radio DJ is hilarious

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Melee isn't bad but why does bethesda have such a hatred for unarmed? I'm surprised they didn't just cut it out entirely from this game like they did with skyrim given how little you can do with it and the unarmed weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
I figured out how to kill deathclaws (my melee only character)...gravity!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3XnNHMXfks

• Locked thread