Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
realistically the best thing for all of these projects would be to cap out at the initial target, focus on shipping that small scale order, and then maybe run another Kickstarter for the next production run. Work out the kinks in production without 15 million dollars worth of customers on your back. never happen though because it would be poo poo for publicity, still it would be far more responsible for the business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

okay

so

this could have been a good product if it had, like, half as many features

the blender is loving lol, maybe if it was a thing where you screw a lid onto a mason jar and then snap the jar onto the blender port (single serve and also less-powerful motor and more battery time) and also then entire cooler explodes because seriously $500 lordy

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

on thinking about it, the only features one would need on a fancy cooler are
• bottle opener (on side)
• corckscrew (as pull out thing like a fuckin stylus
• divider panel with a few slots
• lid light
• usb ports because why the gently caress not if there's a battery in there
• wheels, handle, molded bungee hooks

but then they all did a bunch of mescaline and kept adding poo poo to see with what they could get afuckingway

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

hook the cooler guys up with this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ2dI_B_Ycg

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
It totally looks like The [13] Million Dollar Order That Bankrupted A Company, but goddam :(

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

duTrieux. posted:

okay

so

this could have been a good product if it had, like, half as many features

Yeah but as a product that people want to :siren:BUY:siren: it did alright you gotta admit

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

duTrieux. posted:

• lid light

but then they all did a bunch of mescaline and kept adding poo poo to see with what they could get afuckingway

I would use a cooler blender like fukken once for margs then never again. speaker is cool tho and that's 100% off the shelf because lol at a strike at the blender motor factory

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

theflyingexecutive posted:

I would use a cooler blender like fukken once for margs then never again. speaker is cool tho and that's 100% off the shelf because lol at a strike at the blender motor factory

always the laborer's fault that the bourgeoisie can't get their drat cooler blenders

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

crazysim posted:

would apple approve such a accessory/thing?

probably

http://www.amazon.com/Nerf-N-Strike-Battle-Tactical-Accessory/dp/B00CS0F0NC

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

duTrieux. posted:

• lid light

this was like their 3rd or 4th attempt at a cooler kickstarter. the previous ones didn't make their numbers

they kept adding poo poo to their prototype until redditors started giving them money

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Maluco Marinero posted:

realistically the best thing for all of these projects would be to cap out at the initial target, focus on shipping that small scale order, and then maybe run another Kickstarter for the next production run.

this never works

with poo poo you get done in china, there are huge up-front costs that make no sense unless you're building thousands of units. e.g. those injection molds cost the same whether you make 50 units or 50,000.

for poo poo you do locally, it's you and your buddies assembling them. there's zero chance you will make above minimum wage on your labor, and the available manufacturing techniques are limited to what you can do in your garage

prototypes are labor intensive and half-baked and have no QC, that's just the nature of the beast. shipping prototypes to customers is a sign that you are in some very serious trouble. (remember itanium? lol)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Remember that there's a cooler out there with a motor so you can ride it, and it's not even a Kickstarter thing it's a thing that's been retail for years

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
there's been a couple kickstarters that limited how many total items would be made and sold that were pretty successful

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I Kickstarted a really nice deck of cards and I received a really nice deck of cards 10/10 would buy again

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
apart from the new mst3k i don't think i've kicked a start

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I Kickstartered the zoombinis remake which owns, some random dude's art project which was ok, and catlateral damage

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
i kickstarted the don hertzfeldt dvd, the book by the pbf dude, and the steve lichman book. basically stuff by proven professional artists that i already really like

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
oh and this little wireless midi doohickey that i never got to work

weeeeeee

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks
I paid some Russians to make a haunted house game.

let me know if any of you need to use my personal tree in the spooky forest.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I paid some dude for an electronic gadget that turns EM fields into audio and honestly it's p cool

You can put it next to your digital camera or smart phone and power/boot it up and listen to it go nuts, but in really weird regular patterns and rhythms like it's a robot version of music or something

tweeeeeEEEGZZZZZmmmm
DAKDAKDAKDAAAAKKDUKKADUKKAdeedeeDAAAAAHHH
BZZZZZzzzzzzzz z z z z
DEEE z z z . . . BZP
BZP
BZP
BZP
(doop)
BZP
HWMmmmmm
(crackle)

Listen to your wireless mouse chirp away when you move it, etc

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I bought a jpg of a spaceship

great life choices itt

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Soricidus posted:

I bought a jpg of a spaceship

great life choices itt
sell it

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Mister Sinewave posted:

I paid some dude for an electronic gadget that turns EM fields into audio and honestly it's p cool

You can put it next to your digital camera or smart phone and power/boot it up and listen to it go nuts, but in really weird regular patterns and rhythms like it's a robot version of music or something

tweeeeeEEEGZZZZZmmmm
BZZZZZzzzzzzzz z z z z
DEEE z z z . . . BZP
BZP
BZP
BZP
(doop)
BZP
HWMmmmmm
(crackle)

neat

i've never kickstarted but every once in a while i buy or watch/play something and then wish that i had kickstarted

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

link plz

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Trig Discipline posted:

i kickstarted the don hertzfeldt dvd, the book by the pbf dude, and the steve lichman book. basically stuff by proven professional artists that i already really like

i kickstarted a bunch of photo/cartoonist books and they were great. i got the dumbs and did some tech and games ones, but they actually delivered, though almost always late. most of them had preorders that ran concurrently, which just leads to trouble. maybe only wasteland 2 did that well, but I think that was all digital and normal editions

proven artists tend to already have a book or two out so they can handle orders, even if they get a bit big. one guy got swamped but he was super nice about it and his stuff turned out awesome so it was okay. also they have artist friends that can help get production setup with good printers

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

art is the best kickstarter. i kickstarted the robot repair shop at pittsburgh airport and it was installed within a couple months.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Virion posted:

proven artists tend to already have a book or two out so they can handle orders, even if they get a bit big. one guy got swamped but he was super nice about it and his stuff turned out awesome so it was okay. also they have artist friends that can help get production setup with good printers

yeah

i think most of the artist kickstarters i've backed have ended up running late, but a lot of that is because they've ended up adding significantly to the final product

i mean gurewitch is behind on his book but then you look at a post like this:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2116548608/notes-on-a-case-of-melancholia-or-a-little-death/posts/1404422

and it's like "hey gently caress it that looks like a hell of a lot of work, and it's also beautiful"

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Mister Sinewave posted:

tweeeeeEEEGZZZZZmmmm
BZZZZZzzzzzzzz z z z z
DEEE z z z . . . BZP
BZP
BZP
BZP
(doop)
BZP
HWMmmmmm
(crackle)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvr9AMWEU-c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmoDLyiQYKw

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
and then hertzfeldt has delayed release but only because he's remastering a number of old movies, and they look fantastic so idgaf

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

fishmech posted:

Remember that there's a cooler out there with a motor so you can ride it, and it's not even a Kickstarter thing it's a thing that's been retail for years

is it like a riding lawnmower with a space to keep cold beer?
does it run on propane?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

is it like a riding lawnmower with a space to keep cold beer?
does it run on propane?

http://www.cruzincooler.com/

they go up to 13 mph, range up to 15 miles

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Mini arcade machines looks pretty cool.

A slightly bigger version

and bigger

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 23, 2015

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
i cannot wait for all the people who originally enjoyed those arcade games to be dead

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Athletic Footjob posted:

i cannot wait for all people to be dead

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Athletic Footjob posted:

i cannot wait to be dead

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Just looked it up and dang he or she is on version 3 now and more expensive, guess it's a thing for them.

https://zvukolom.org/product/elektrosluch-3-pre-order/

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

i will keep it as a reminder that i, too, am a shameful idiot

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
lol 200 euroland funbucks for a raspi 1, and 240 if you want to upgrade to a raspi 2 and a sanwa stick

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
i kickstarted some cthulu game that looked cool but hasn't come out yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

computer parts posted:

i kickstarted some cthulu game that looked cool but hasn't come out yet

was that the one where the guy spent all of his Kickstarter money relocating to Portland?

• Locked thread