Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

it's not even close to that bad, but the voiceover narration is a little much and personally i don't like how it seems like they're sidelining the private eye stuff in favor of going straight into the Purple Man story arc,

What bothers me about that is that there's no need for it. Netflix paid for it, they don't need to rush like they're going to get canceled in Sweeps Week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What bothers me about that is that there's no need for it. Netflix paid for it, they don't need to rush like they're going to get canceled in Sweeps Week.

i mean i have no problem with them tackling that story this season, but i would've liked an episode or two of JJ doing some straight gumshoe stuff before they get to it, it doesn't need to be the entire season's focus.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I really wanted more Daredevil: Super Lawyer from that show.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I honestly don't understand the complaints. So far Jessica Jones is better than Daredevil to me, and I really liked Daredevil. Alias was never some generic story about a private detective, so for this series to be like that would be kinda dumb. They're just doing the origin stuff first, rather than the random stuff that started off Alias.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

alansmithee posted:

I honestly don't understand the complaints. So far Jessica Jones is better than Daredevil to me, and I really liked Daredevil. Alias was never some generic story about a private detective, so for this series to be like that would be kinda dumb. They're just doing the origin stuff first, rather than the random stuff that started off Alias.

i'm enjoying the show, but not without reservations. the narration's pretty drat bad, and the cop character they introduce a couple episodes in is just the worst.

David Tennant's killing it, though.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

alansmithee posted:

It just seems so on the nose. Every scene she's drinking cheap alcohol and the characters always have to mention she drinks cheap alcohol, then she shows how tortured she is. Then she makes a clever quip. It seems like babies first screenplay.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i'm enjoying the show, but not without reservations. the narration's pretty drat bad, and the cop character they introduce a couple episodes in is just the worst.

David Tennant's killing it, though.

I don't mind the narration, but the cop dude is pretty horrible. That's something I agree fully with, and although I've not quite finished it he seems kinda superfluous.

The_Rob posted:

It just seems so on the nose. Every scene she's drinking cheap alcohol and the characters always have to mention she drinks cheap alcohol, then she shows how tortured she is. Then she makes a clever quip. It seems like babies first screenplay.
Just wondering, did you like Daredevil? Because you could say the same thing about that show. And honestly, most of the comic (from what I remember) was largely just that-her being tortured dealing with her past and drinking/fighting against being a superhero.

I don't exactly say it's perfect, but I'd recommend it without reservations. I certainly think it's better than True Detective S1 or S2 (which some other people were mentioning).

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

alansmithee posted:

I don't mind the narration, but the cop dude is pretty horrible. That's something I agree fully with, and although I've not quite finished it he seems kinda superfluous.

Just wondering, did you like Daredevil? Because you could say the same thing about that show. And honestly, most of the comic (from what I remember) was largely just that-her being tortured dealing with her past and drinking/fighting against being a superhero.

I don't exactly say it's perfect, but I'd recommend it without reservations. I certainly think it's better than True Detective S1 or S2 (which some other people were mentioning).

I did like Daredevil but I feel like they went about the tortured aspects in a less self serious cliche way. Not to say there were no cliches, but I feel like it was handled better and the acting was better.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The idea that you'd equate TD1 and TD2 does not give me hope.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

The idea that you'd equate TD1 and TD2 does not give me hope.

I'll admit they're dissimilar. TD1 looked pretty, TD2 had at least 1 character that wasn't horrible. I'd say both were about equal in terms of writing though. I know that's not exactly a popular opinion, but I wonder how many dudes who watched TD1 would feel the same upon rewatching it, or watching it fresh without all the auxiliary discussion and hubbub.

edit-and as for Jessica Jones, my opinions are from only watching about 7 episodes so I guess it could change.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Nov 21, 2015

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Kristy was really much better than the sum of its parts. I enjoyed that a lot. Good camerawork, good acting. Only a few unnecessary characters.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

alansmithee posted:

I'll admit they're dissimilar. TD1 looked pretty, TD2 had at least 1 character that wasn't horrible. I'd say both were about equal in terms of writing though. I know that's not exactly a popular opinion, but I wonder how many dudes who watched TD1 would feel the same upon rewatching it, or watching it fresh without all the auxiliary discussion and hubbub.

i think the plot of season 2 is way more stupidly overworked than season 1, among other things

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Also the narrative that people just hate season 2 of TD because the first season was so critically acclaimed that nothing could live up to their standards is bullshit because you could say the same thing about Fargo yet season 2 of that is knocking it out of the park.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

The only one I haven't come around on is Xanadu, which just loving sucks. But that whole era is really fascinating: Hair, Little Shop of Horrors, JC Superstar, Can't Stop The Music, Rocky Horror...

Everyone always forgets The Phantom of the Paradise. :mad:

Xanadu is just a mess though, despite being occasionally gorgeous.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

moller posted:

I've said it before but phantom of the paradise is so much better than rocky horror.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Is there any reason Carrie-Anne Moss fell off the map after the Matrix movies? It's not like she has a lot of range, but she does steely really well. You figured there'd be character work for her out there.

Also Marvel's continued poaching of HBO actors put out to pasture is great, Robin Weigert popping up in Jessica Jones was great

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

morestuff posted:

Is there any reason Carrie-Anne Moss fell off the map after the Matrix movies? It's not like she has a lot of range, but she does steely really well. You figured there'd be character work for her out there.

I mean she's been in at least one film a year since 2003 (except 2011), plus some TV and Video Game stuff (she was the Asari mob boss in Mass Effect 2). She's not a mega star but she gets work .

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

computer parts posted:

I mean she's been in at least one film a year since 2003 (except 2011), plus some TV and Video Game stuff (she was the Asari mob boss in Mass Effect 2). She's not a mega star but she gets work .

She was pretty good in Fido.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

The_Rob posted:

I've said it before but phantom of the paradise is so much better than rocky horror.

Edgar Wright agrees with you

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

True Detective 1 and 2 were both excellent in different ways. They felt so different though that there was really no connection other than name.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

moller posted:

I didn't mean to, I love Phantom.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

The_Rob posted:

Phantom of the Paradise is legitimately one of the greatest musicals ever made in any musical subgenre. Like I would put it up with Singin' In The Rain easy.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

RightClickSaveAs posted:

True Detective 1 and 2 were both excellent in different ways. They felt so different though that there was really no connection other than name.

Could I ask what you enjoyed so much about TD2?

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

RightClickSaveAs posted:

That's pretty much my feeling, only instead of "excellent" i'd say "decent".

Also to someone above, when I spoke about the hubbub about TD1, I didn't mean the critical acclaim. I meant more the discussion around the show and general buzz with people talking and how "new" it seemed at the time. Although part of that is fairly due to the much more convoluted plot of TD2 which didn't really reveal itself until later in the show.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Could I ask what you enjoyed so much about TD2?
It was one of the most riveting TV things I watched this year, it was something about the combination of noir, mystery series and cop drama blended into an element of weirdness that I can't quite put my finger on to describe very well. It also felt like all the actors were acting the poo poo out of their characters, to varying degrees of success, but not a single bit of it was uninteresting. Vince Vaughn was a standout, I legitimately loved his character and all the overwrought monologuing.

I guess that's the best way I could describe what I liked so much about it, it was just compulsively interesting. It's the kind of show where if it were on Netflix I'd have blown through it all in just a couple days.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I liked Season 2 of TD. Season 1 of TD is good but I find the praise overblown. It isn't anything new if your used to crime fiction.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Beyond the lights is hilariously bad, but I feel like it was geared towards 15 year old girls so it's kind of on me for watching it.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I just watched Chef after ignoring it for 6 months.

Great movie. Great. Loved it.

dreadnought
Dec 28, 2006

:rolleyes:

magnificent7 posted:

I just watched Chef after ignoring it for 6 months.

Great movie. Great. Loved it.

Chef is really solid. Definitely didn't do anything to quell the nagging desire I've had for years to open a food truck.

On a side note, are there any other good movies about chefs or cooking, on streaming or otherwise? I'm talking fictional, so not like Jiro Dreams of Sushi or anything like that. The only other good one I can think of is The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover, but that's about food in the same way, say, 2001 is about space travel.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

dreadnought posted:

Chef is really solid. Definitely didn't do anything to quell the nagging desire I've had for years to open a food truck.

On a side note, are there any other good movies about chefs or cooking, on streaming or otherwise? I'm talking fictional, so not like Jiro Dreams of Sushi or anything like that. The only other good one I can think of is The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover, but that's about food in the same way, say, 2001 is about space travel.

Sweeney Todd is pretty good.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

dreadnought posted:

See Big Night if you haven't. I'm not sure if it's on streaming but God drat is it good. One of my favorite last scenes in a movie too.

I also remember Dinner Rush being pretty good but it's been so long since I've thought about that movie that I had to look it up.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

dreadnought posted:

Ratatouille?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

dreadnought posted:

The God of Cookery, although it's about food in the same way that RikkiO is about for-profit prisons.

Oh, and Tampopo, which I was going to make a similar joke for but stopped and felt bad because it's so earnest and heartfelt and cool.

moller fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Nov 22, 2015

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

dreadnought posted:

If you're into Japanese cooking I suggest Wakako-zake. It's a series of twelve very short vignettes about a foodie who likes to sample traditional Japanese dishes on her way home from work. I watched the whole thing on Youtube in about half an hour and was thoroughly entertained, and even learned a few things about Japanese food in the process.

Here's the first episode. It's two minutes long. It's great.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

moller posted:

Oh, and Tampopo, which I was going to make a similar joke for but stopped and felt bad because it's so earnest and heartfelt and cool.
Tampopo's a real cool movie, I should rewatch it again sometime.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

moller posted:

The God of Cookery, although it's about food in the same way that RikkiO is about for-profit prisons.

God of Cookery has a bit of a slow start then I'm hyperventilating from golden gods.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
dang, this jessica jones lady sure has some real jessi cajones.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Sarchasm posted:

If you're into Japanese cooking I suggest Wakako-zake. It's a series of twelve very short vignettes about a foodie who likes to sample traditional Japanese dishes on her way home from work. I watched the whole thing on Youtube in about half an hour and was thoroughly entertained, and even learned a few things about Japanese food in the process.

Here's the first episode. It's two minutes long. It's great.

Oh man, I watched this anime a while ago and it made me pretty sad. Perhaps I was projecting a bit but the person watching it with me felt the same way.

It's lovely that the main character is able to glean contentment through a bit of hedonism but the enormity of what she's so stalwartly repressing hangs heavy over the whole thing.

She's miserable about her work, and has no one in the world to talk to other than herself. It's stated outright that she's a "christmas cake," and it seems like she's given up any hope of making meaningful social contact.

Each vignette seems like a suicide note about a delicious dish.
Was this just me?

:(

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Loki_XLII posted:

I can't handle this post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Loki_XLII posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV1fUwKMdAI