Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Grumpwagon posted:

I don't know why you'd want those things, but Hacker's Keyboard is a full computer keyboard on your phone, including a CTRL button for copy/pasting.

Or you could just use the PC option in Google keyboard:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Hat Thoughts posted:

Is there anywhere I can go to see - like - collected Black Friday phone deals or something? Need a new phone, despite the amazing capabilities of the HTC DESIRE 510

Here's the online deals and here's the in-store deals.

Honestly, most of these deals are on rather crappy phones and all of the decent phones will likely be locked to their respective carrier for a required amount of time. If you have a budget, we could probably suggest something.

SB35 fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 22, 2015

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

There's also the glass breaking randomly on the back problem. According to iFixit, the glass on the back of the Nexus 6P is really fragile so some of these cases might not be lies.

Which of the 4 reported cases (only two of which came with pictures) are you reasonably confident isn't a lie?

I enjoy checking whenever I see a link to a different site with an article about this super widespread issue to see if they have any new pictures other than the same two from the original Reddit thread. For some weird reason, they never do.

The microphone issue is an actual problem that affects some number of phones. It's hard to tell exactly how common it is, but judging by posts on Reddit it isn't very many.

There are a ton of "Wow, I was worried about getting this after all the problems I read about but surprisingly my phone is just fine!" posts, though, which is pretty funny.

Edit: vvvv :stonk:

Theris fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 22, 2015

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

:yum:

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Rusty! posted:

Or you could just use the PC option in Google keyboard:

Pro tip: to enable this you have to go into the custom input styles menu and add "English (US) PC" from the list.

Trip report: It's not so good on smaller screens.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Reverse Centaur posted:

Click bait articles aren't a good indicator of actual significant issues. If there were real problems every idiot on Reddit would be posting about it non-stop.

The three separate threads on Google's own forums and the one on XDA about the microphone software issue isn't proof enough? Plus, Google actually having to look into it?

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/g70qCHkqLA4
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/N5GWJwOKBGw
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/imiGhFarIo0
http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-6p/help/nexus-6p-microphone-t3238695

I'm not saying the phone has dealbreaking issues, but this is a genuine problem.

Theris posted:

Which of the 4 reported cases (only two of which came with pictures) are you reasonably confident isn't a lie?

The Nexus 4 had the same issue with its back. That wasn't widespread, but I know someone it actually happened to so I wouldn't rule it out.

Tunga posted:

I make no claims about it being The Perfect Phone, merely that it does not suffer from the three specific problems mentioned in that post: the performance, camera launch speed, and fingerprint scanner are all excellent.

What I will say is that if it has manufacturing issues then those can be resolve by simpling returning it for a new one, unlike problems caused by use of mediocre components or lovely software.

I actually misread what you said but yeah, I'm not saying it's an awful phone, it's not. It just has a few issues. Actually those are the only two issues I've come across.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

ThermoPhysical posted:

The three separate threads on Google's own forums and the one on XDA about the microphone software issue isn't proof enough? Plus, Google actually having to look into it?

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/g70qCHkqLA4
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/N5GWJwOKBGw
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/imiGhFarIo0
http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-6p/help/nexus-6p-microphone-t3238695

I'm not saying the phone has dealbreaking issues, but this is a genuine problem.

That's not really proof of anything. I mean, it proves that some people have had the problem. How would the evidence you've presented differ if this issue affected .001% of devices, or .1%, or 1%, or 10%, or...?

Like, I think there's an issue with some devices. Is it prevalent enough to even mention? Who knows?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
My 6P has nothing wrong. No microphone problem, no cracked glass, no uneven back cover, no uneven speakers. It's loving awesome.

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
My 6P is still not having the greatest of battery life after 2 weeks of use. I'll get 1.5-2 hrs of onscreen time over 12 hrs and be down to 20%. I'll also drop 6-8% overnight if it's not in use, so Doze is doing something, but it's still dropping more than it seems like it should. I'm not quite completely wakelocked, but I do have a lot of unaccounted for activity. Today, I found a new thing where the process that is using the most battery is now a random number. Any thoughts as to what this might be?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Chu020 posted:

My 6P is still not having the greatest of battery life after 2 weeks of use. I'll get 1.5-2 hrs of onscreen time over 12 hrs and be down to 20%. I'll also drop 6-8% overnight if it's not in use, so Doze is doing something, but it's still dropping more than it seems like it should. I'm not quite completely wakelocked, but I do have a lot of unaccounted for activity. Today, I found a new thing where the process that is using the most battery is now a random number. Any thoughts as to what this might be?

Your cell signal sucks which will kill battery, and you're also having some wakelock issues.
6-8% overnight is way too much with doze, it should be in the 1-3% range.

IIRC the number thing is an uninstalled program? Restart, recharge to full, see if its still there.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I just got a big unexpected update for the play store. I accidentally hit get started while it was doing its slideshow introduction for the redesign. I assume it's just a cosmetic thing? Are there any new features?

I'm on a Note 5, in case a bunch of nexus owners already got this update.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
It doesn't explain anything it just let's you know that there's a new one. And Play Store updates happen in waves but are largely device agnostic (unless you're running something absurdly old).

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Hey, longtime Windows Phone user here, just got an Android phone for the first time and I have a question about playlists.

I made a playlist in WMP and tried to sync it to my phone via Winamp. Winamp is adamant that the playlist is on the phone, but Google Play Music, the Samsung music app thing, and Poweramp all claim that I don't have any playlists. What am I doing wrong? Is there an easier way to do this that does not involve iTunes? TIA

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

BottleKnight posted:

I just got a big unexpected update for the play store. I accidentally hit get started while it was doing its slideshow introduction for the redesign. I assume it's just a cosmetic thing? Are there any new features?

It's surprising to me how often skipping initial startup stuff on accident happens to me.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Wow, Android Beam is embarrassingly slow. Especially since both phones are on WiFi. We also tried connecting the phones via usb-c, but when we selected photo transfer, we were given a gallery of pictures to choose from... But they were all black squares. Importing a photo from the other phone worked, but it's a literal shot in the dark which picture we get.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

BJPaskoff posted:

Wow, Android Beam is embarrassingly slow. Especially since both phones are on WiFi. We also tried connecting the phones via usb-c, but when we selected photo transfer, we were given a gallery of pictures to choose from... But they were all black squares. Importing a photo from the other phone worked, but it's a literal shot in the dark which picture we get.

As far as I know, Android Beam doesn't use Wifi- it uses Bluetooth, so it's always going to be slow.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The Dark One posted:

As far as I know, Android Beam doesn't use Wifi- it uses Bluetooth, so it's always going to be slow.

Correct, unless you're beaming between two Samsung devices. They extended the protocol to use WiFi Direct instead where possible.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

FogHelmut posted:

Anyone else have their Bluetooth run away with the battery on Nexus 5x? This has happened to me a few times. Not connected to anything, but Bluetooth is enabled. It just drains the battery.

Yes, bluetooth destroys my N5X battery, but in my case, it's a problem with Fitbit. They note it on their app page, and I'm using the beta so maybe it's improved. I typically leave it off and just turn it on when I'm home to sync it for the day.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

BottleKnight posted:

I'm on a Note 5, in case a bunch of nexus owners already got this update.

That probably explains this anomalous battery graph.

The Dark One fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Nov 23, 2015

ok_dirdel
Apr 27, 2003

I feel like an idiot, but I can not get the "clear default app settings" message on my Note 5 to stop popping up. I wiped the cache and tried clearing the default app settings, but it continues to pop up as some kind of reminder.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
Just noticed the 5X is on Amazon. Since I can get free shipping and avoid paying sales tax, I'd like to order it there. I know that in the past, there were some benefits to ordering through the Play Store, but is that still the case? I've read in a few places that Google will end up sending you to LG/Huawei for warranty claims now, thus negating any benefit to be had from ordering through them.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

AppleCider posted:

I feel like an idiot, but I can not get the "clear default app settings" message on my Note 5 to stop popping up. I wiped the cache and tried clearing the default app settings, but it continues to pop up as some kind of reminder.

As far as I know that's intentional. It's annoying but you learn to click through it. Between that and not being able to choose Just Once or Always, it's probably the worst part of TouchWiz.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

loquacius posted:

Hey, longtime Windows Phone user here, just got an Android phone for the first time and I have a question about playlists.

I made a playlist in WMP and tried to sync it to my phone via Winamp. Winamp is adamant that the playlist is on the phone, but Google Play Music, the Samsung music app thing, and Poweramp all claim that I don't have any playlists. What am I doing wrong? Is there an easier way to do this that does not involve iTunes? TIA

There are a bunch of different ways to do this, but I wouldn't say that any of them are particularly easy.

The problem you're having is probably caused by the app(s) either not being able to access the location of the new playlist, or not being able to read the format that it's in. I recommend syncing an .M3U, and you should definitely not be using Winamp to do it. It hasn't been supported since 2013.

Even when you're able to move the playlist over and have it be seen by the media app, you're probably going to find that it's empty, because the playlist was copied over with references that use your file path structure on your computer.

I recommend MediaMonkey for Android and Windows for this. It's a giant pain in the rear end to get syncing properly, but once you've figured your way around the original fuckups, it should be able to sync (wirelessly!) without problem. I've got a library that no longer comfortably fits on 64GB SD cards, and I can wirelessly sync anything without issue now.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Anyone used a Note 4/5 or Galaxy S5/S6 with Knox? Upon activating Knox on the device, the Google Now Launcher app drawer goes blank. Apps are still installed, but every icon is gone. Curious if this is a bug or intended for some reason.

Not that anyone else experienced this or cares, but I found out why this is happening https://www.samsungknox.com/en/faq/why-my-knox-not-compatible-google-now-launcher

Frustrating, I don't want to use another launcher, as I use Google Now daily and quite heavily. Hurry the gently caress up and fix this :mad:

Ev
Aug 3, 2006
So I did something stupid. My hand and arm twitched (drat neurological disease) and I dropped my Nexus 6 in just the right way to shatter the screen. I've been looking at prices for a new screen and what Motorola would charge to fix it and I'm thinking it might just be better to use this as an excuse to upgrade to something newer.

Has anyone here ever replaced a screen on a Nexus 6? It looks like a pain in the rear end to do it myself, plus the screen alone looks like it might even cost more than I would have to pay Motorola to fix it.

Anyway, other than the pain in the rear end that would be replacing the screen, is there any other good reason to not just upgrade to a newer phone? I not keen on having to drop the money on it, but if that makes more sense in the long run then I could see myself going that route.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mooktastical posted:

There are a bunch of different ways to do this, but I wouldn't say that any of them are particularly easy.

The problem you're having is probably caused by the app(s) either not being able to access the location of the new playlist, or not being able to read the format that it's in. I recommend syncing an .M3U, and you should definitely not be using Winamp to do it. It hasn't been supported since 2013.

Even when you're able to move the playlist over and have it be seen by the media app, you're probably going to find that it's empty, because the playlist was copied over with references that use your file path structure on your computer.

I recommend MediaMonkey for Android and Windows for this. It's a giant pain in the rear end to get syncing properly, but once you've figured your way around the original fuckups, it should be able to sync (wirelessly!) without problem. I've got a library that no longer comfortably fits on 64GB SD cards, and I can wirelessly sync anything without issue now.

Thanks! I've seen MediaMonkey recommended a lot, but (a) its name made me take it less seriously and (b) Winamp is venerable and respected so it didn't occur to me that Winamp would be the problem here. I'll give this a shot when I get home.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Ev posted:

So I did something stupid. My hand and arm twitched (drat neurological disease) and I dropped my Nexus 6 in just the right way to shatter the screen. I've been looking at prices for a new screen and what Motorola would charge to fix it and I'm thinking it might just be better to use this as an excuse to upgrade to something newer.

Has anyone here ever replaced a screen on a Nexus 6? It looks like a pain in the rear end to do it myself, plus the screen alone looks like it might even cost more than I would have to pay Motorola to fix it.

Anyway, other than the pain in the rear end that would be replacing the screen, is there any other good reason to not just upgrade to a newer phone? I not keen on having to drop the money on it, but if that makes more sense in the long run then I could see myself going that route.

Consider that you can now buy a new Nexus 6 for about $300

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Ev posted:

Typically, buying a used phone from ebay and selling your broken one as is (and clearly noted that it's cracked) ends up costing the same as just buying a new screen.

Math

Used nexus 6 -$250
Sell broken 6 +$100

Out of pocket: $150

New Nexus 6 Screen $160

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Actually it's a much better deal because you don't spend your time replacing it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

RZA Encryption posted:

Actually it's a much better deal because you don't spend your time replacing it.

Yes, incase I wasn't clear, I'm for just buying a new phone.

I theorize that the people buying the cracked phones are looking for phones with good ESNs but damaged hardware to use to resell stolen phones. It's pretty easy to swap the guts of a bad phone with a good screen to a good phone with a bad screen, and you can get phones with bad ESNs but in tact for much cheaper.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

That was clear, I was just pointing it out because sometimes people forget to include their time in calculations involving value.

Always value your time, in the end it's all you have.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I theorize that the people buying the cracked phones are looking for phones with good ESNs but damaged hardware to use to resell stolen phones. It's pretty easy to swap the guts of a bad phone with a good screen to a good phone with a bad screen, and you can get phones with bad ESNs but in tact for much cheaper.

They might be setting up Bingbux farming rigs.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Endless Mike posted:

They might be setting up Bingbux farming rigs.

That's extremely likely. All mine are broken Galaxy Nexus. I'm at about $12-15/day depending on the ad timing.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
How truthful is the battery drain statistics?

Because I swear that since Lollipop, Chrome has just been this horrific piece of poo poo battery drainer, even if it never showed it in the stats.

Force closing it and using Opera instead has (so far) solved any issue I've had with mysterious battery drains on my N5.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Is there a way to stop Chrome or the default browser from re-opening the pages that were open last when you close and then restart the browser? I'm trying to help someone stop getting stuck on pop-up webpages, and I'm unfamiliar with android and can't find that setting anywhere in the browser settings or the general settings app.

This is on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Entropic posted:

Is there a way to stop Chrome or the default browser from re-opening the pages that were open last when you close and then restart the browser? I'm trying to help someone stop getting stuck on pop-up webpages, and I'm unfamiliar with android and can't find that setting anywhere in the browser settings or the general settings app.

This is on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4

The browser never closes, it just minimizes. You have to close individual tabs.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Vykk.Draygo posted:

The browser never closes, it just minimizes. You have to close individual tabs.

So if someone is stuck on one of those sites that opens pop-ups and prevents you from closing the tab...?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Entropic posted:

So if someone is stuck on one of those sites that opens pop-ups and prevents you from closing the tab...?

Try using the recent/overview button and swipe off the offending tab?

Jan fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Nov 24, 2015

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Entropic posted:

You can try opening a link from another app and reaching the tab overview from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Worst case scenario, clear data on Chrome (system settings -> apps -> chrome -> clear data).