Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

I wonder if there is some inside trading going on, like someone who did the polling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Aliquid posted:

RCP dumped a few polls, so the current ones may stick around awhile.

My uncle who works at the RNC gave me a hot tip, though. Don't bet on polls.

Too late, making money on Ben Carson's bubble bursting :getin:

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
RIP my money

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Trump at 32 Clinton at 60. Looks like this poll is probably an outlier but holy poo poo is it awful for the poll markets.

Tomato Burger
Jun 18, 2007
The secret is granola.

Zeta Taskforce posted:

...presumably after Paris candidates with foreign policy should be favored.

I think this is an initial gut-reaction of flocking towards the candidate talking about the biggest wall and monitoring mosques and everything.

It is a huge outlier in general and I don't think other polls will follow suit in the medium-term. However, any other polls coming out very soon may show a similar reactionary impact.

huge pile of hamburger
Nov 4, 2009
New Fox Poll. Thank you based Trump!

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...itics+-+Text%29

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Man good call on the dem bump market. It's already crashing back down. Good thing I cashed out when I did

huge pile of hamburger
Nov 4, 2009
Trump should be at 27.4(double counted Fox) 27.75 with Fox poll out today, assuming Quinnipiac and Marist drop, which I think they will.

another edit: Quinnipiac officially dropped

eeeeedit:

huge pile of hamburger has issued a correction as of 15:55 on Nov 22, 2015

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Necc0 posted:

Man good call on the dem bump market. It's already crashing back down. Good thing I cashed out when I did

Truth. I got me some Clinton No at 64 and sold it at 88. Back down to 58 now.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

tinstaach posted:

No on Trump polling at 27% is going for less than 75c when he's currently at 24.6 and hasn't hit 27 since the first of the month. This might stay undervalues for a while, there's a lot of :byodood: ONLINE POLLS :byodood: in the comments.

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwelp

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Tomato Burger posted:

I think this is an initial gut-reaction of flocking towards the candidate talking about the biggest wall and monitoring mosques and everything.

It is a huge outlier in general and I don't think other polls will follow suit in the medium-term. However, any other polls coming out very soon may show a similar reactionary impact.

I've never seen markets move like that in the middle of the night like that and tiredly assumed someone with fat fingers meant to by 100 but accidentally bought 1000. My Achilles heel is always underestimating how easy it is to manipulate people's most dark, ignorant fears for personal gain. Here I am thinking that when we are reminded how dangerous the world can be we want someone who is smart, measured and informed, not someone who is going to cancel the first amendment for cheap political points.

There goes all my JBE winnings.....

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Stop betting on polls!

Unless it's the carson.NO 22%, which has netted me another 250 dollars :smug:. Based Biden, your money grows!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

User Error posted:

Truth. I got me some Clinton No at 64 and sold it at 88. Back down to 58 now.

I actually jumped back in just now--it's crazy that people still think this is 55/45 just a few days from closing. Let's see if my greed pays off.

huge pile of hamburger
Nov 4, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

I actually jumped back in just now--it's crazy that people still think this is 55/45 just a few days from closing. Let's see if my greed pays off.

The Dem bump market? It doesn't close until the 28th. I have Clinton +1.1 while OMalley is +1.7. That one OMally 7 from PPP was a one off outlier. If/when Rasmussen drops this is a while new ballgame.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

watwat posted:

The Dem bump market? It doesn't close until the 28th. I have Clinton +1.1 while OMalley is +1.7. That one OMally 7 from PPP was a one off outlier. If/when Rasmussen drops this is a while new ballgame.

Yeah I'm with you. Don't gently caress me O'mallentum!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

watwat posted:

One off outlier? He also had a 5 and a 6.

huge pile of hamburger
Nov 4, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

One off outlier? He also had a 5 and a 6.

In a sea of 3 and unders.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Nothing under 3 in weeks. His average has been around 4% recently.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not gonna lie, Vitter losing really hurt me in the wallet area (though it's dulled by the fact that he's a shithead who lost, so woo), but a kind soul put up 500 shares of Carson winning the Iowa Primary for 10 cents a piece, which means that somewhere, the PredictIt gods are looking out for me, because that's basically as low as he's ever been, and he's the exact right type of religious shithead to win in Iowa. See: Huckabee, Mike or Santorum, Rick.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Yoshifan823 posted:

I'm not gonna lie, Vitter losing really hurt me in the wallet area (though it's dulled by the fact that he's a shithead who lost, so woo), but a kind soul put up 500 shares of Carson winning the Iowa Primary for 10 cents a piece, which means that somewhere, the PredictIt gods are looking out for me, because that's basically as low as he's ever been, and he's the exact right type of religious shithead to win in Iowa. See: Huckabee, Mike or Santorum, Rick.

That's a great deal, but I really think Carson's time is eclipsing. I'd still take 500 shares at 10 cent just in case he ekes it out among the religious nuts, like you said, but I think it's about time Rubio or someone else became the flavor of the month (tm).

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Yeah keep in mind the other Iowa winners sprung out of nowhere due to some other candidate flaming out. However 9:1 payoff is worth it as long as you understand it's a gamble.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Yoshifan823 posted:

Yeah, the polling in Louisiana proved to be surprisingly accurate. I never did jump back into that one for the finish--I was definitely influenced by Kentucky.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Weird swing just happened in the weekly right direction market. YES was selling at 20 cents a share, and then somebody bought up everything they could. Granted it wasn't a very deep market since it only went up to 60 cents each, but for a while there were absolutely zero YES shares available.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Necc0 posted:

Yeah keep in mind the other Iowa winners sprung out of nowhere due to some other candidate flaming out. However 9:1 payoff is worth it as long as you understand it's a gamble.

Also worth keeping in mind that, if I'm remembering correctly, Iowa is approaching being negatively correlated with winning the nomination. I think it's something like 3 winners of both Iowa and the nomination without being sitting President since the 70s.

Iowa Republican Caucus voters like religious candidates who are salt of the earth types. So Carson, Huckabee, and Santorum are all looking at better odds that it would appear. Of course there's also a good shot for Ted Cruz, whose Dark Side strategy looks to be beginning to pay off. The countdown to Senator Lee trying to dissolve the Senate has begun.

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib
Is anyone involved the IA GOP election market? I understand why Trump/Cruz are the top two bets with Carson declining, but why is Trump going for 29c while Cruz is 41c, given Trump was +8, +14, and +9 (relative to Cruz) in the three most recent polls. Cruz gained big from carson in the last poll, but Trump did too. Someone talk me out of buying lots of Cruz NOs...

Or maybe I'll just buy both Cruz and Trump YESes for 70c...

edit; okay convo is happening as I posted this...

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Here's my advice for the Iowa GOP election results: Ben Carson certainly won't break 23% absent a major winnowing of the field. Jeb! won't break 9.5% again without major winnowing of the field. Fiorina's going to be lucky to break 6% even if a whole bunch of people dropped.

As of now this leaves Trump, Rubio, and Cruz as the ones who have real likelihood to pull a plurality or even a majority.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

fishmech posted:

Here's my advice for the Iowa GOP election results: Ben Carson certainly won't break 23% absent a major winnowing of the field. Jeb! won't break 9.5% again without major winnowing of the field. Fiorina's going to be lucky to break 6% even if a whole bunch of people dropped.

As of now this leaves Trump, Rubio, and Cruz as the ones who have real likelihood to pull a plurality or even a majority.

I think past elections have shown that Iowa is quite a bit more fluid than this. All sorts of nonsense could happen there in the next couple months.

Fiorina and Jeb aren't among the candidates likely to win there, though, I agree on that.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
I like carson at 10 cents simply because I kind of see that as his floor in that state for the next month or two. But then again, I wouldn't be looking to make a 90 cent profit per share on this, I'd be comfortable getting out a lot quicker than that.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

might be dumb, but i bought some trump indie run. even if he doesnt, i suspect he'll threaten it some more in the future and boost it enough beyond the 11 cents i got it at

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

might be dumb, but i bought some trump indie run. even if he doesnt, i suspect he'll threaten it some more in the future and boost it enough beyond the 11 cents i got it at

Hell even if he doesn't the market will probably rise more once the real GOP assault starts next month.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I think if the Iowa caucus were held tomorrow, people would be bidding a lot higher than 10¢ on Carson winning it.

The real risk is that Carson’s campaign falls apart between now and then, which is a real concern, but possibly overestimated by most traders.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

this is actually a really good idea imo. i think share prices are going to dip again in a couple days then go back up later

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

I'm sure the GOP attack ads will push it up in the next couple weeks but do keep in mind this has an end date of Dec. 31, 2015.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
It's a tricky one because of the 2015 deadline. I think it's free money at 90c but there is a chance people are going to be irrational and push YES above 10c in the next month. Personally I'd go for the NO shares. Even if Trump gets hit hard by the RNC he won't see polling go down quickly enough to make a decision to quit and run 3rd party by December 31st.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Non-poll markets ahoy! New contracts for Syrian refugee legislation and TPP ratification are now open.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
That Syria market is an easy no, but let's see if I can get in for sub-50.

edit: whoa Cruz just shot up in the VP market, thanks whoever bought those ancient shares off of me!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The TPP passage market is currently sitting at 40ish cents - does anyone else think this is a bit of a bargain? I know the candidates have all bitched about the TPP but there seems to be support between the monied interests and obama, and I have a hard time seeing this fail. Maybe the time limits the main factor here?

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

JosefStalinator posted:

The TPP passage market is currently sitting at 40ish cents - does anyone else think this is a bit of a bargain? I know the candidates have all bitched about the TPP but there seems to be support between the monied interests and obama, and I have a hard time seeing this fail. Maybe the time limits the main factor here?

I'm trying to be patient and see if Yes will dip into the 20's. I agree that it will eventually pass. Anything that is in the Venn diagram of the monied interests of both parties and Obama has to pass. But I don't know about the date either and 40ish seems high to make a substantial bet

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Looks like BUSH.DROPOUT has already returned to a more sane number so I'm glad I bought that when I did. Also I totally forgot about DNOM linking and it took me a while to figure out where the surprise $50 in my account came from. I was planning on taking advantage of that but it looks like others already vacuumed up all the free shares. There's straight up nothing available beyond the top four candidates. Which is correct so it's nice to see the linking is working as intended.

Now for them to link the RNOM market :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

JosefStalinator posted:

I think it will head toward at least 50/50 yes/no myself as more people enter the market.

• Locked thread