Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Looks like I'm finally going to have a chance to move my bike across the coast and reunite with it. I haven't ridden it in 2 years and over the winter I'm going to work on getting it back into track mode.

What are all of the cool kids using for tank grip these days? I've always used Stompgrip and the only downside is that it doesn't interface perfectly with the rubber knee grips on Alpinestars suits. I've heard good things about Techspec but I think they're ugly as sin. Any personal experiences with track performance between the two? Not worried about Stompgrip ripping up my leathers or anything (plus I hear they have changed their design to minimize that).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
As ugly as they are, I loved the Techspec I had on my SV. Even though they technically weren't the correct ones for the bike, I never felt like I was going to lose grip at all, not even when wearing my not-so-grippy textile pants.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Marxalot posted:

It's ok, you're not. I got the same on my PR4 rear with the same bike.

I think it's more likely that goons are letting the drat things go past the wear bar and right down to the cords.

e:

Full disclosure:
-I don't do burnouts and don't use my rear brake for much other than settling the rear end end of the bike when I'm braking hard on the front.
-Normally I shift around 6k because noise and there's no real reason to be at 13k on city streets.
-I also don't launch that often, and when I do decide to haul rear end it's usually rolling on in second to get around something dumb on a highway.

The tires are good, but god drat, are you 110lbs with gear and running max psi or something?

I'm not expecting 30,000kms from the ZX10, but I'd be surprised if I didn't get somewhere around the 23 - 24k mark.

- I run 32/38psi front/rear
- I don't brake deep when I'm spiritedly riding, I prefer to brake early, carry more corner speed then shoot out.
- My commute is mostly highway, so I'm not on/off the throttle a lot
- I don't launch that often either, same as you, roll on to get around stuff on the highway.

I've always seemed to get really good mileage out of tyres. Generally an extra 1/3 of the life compared to most other people I know that ride,

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

Chichevache posted:

Would it make riding the drz more impressive?

But you couldn't!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Marxalot posted:

running max psi or something?

You have to keep PRs aired up for them to last. They aren't designed to be aired down and you'll lose significant mileage. Keep mine like 38/40lbs or something; I have it etched on the bottom of my saddle whatever it is.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
I had put well over 12k on the PR2s that had come with my last bike, and was getting ready to replace them this winter, not due to wear, but just by age.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Changed my rear tyre/tube out this morning... being a postie, once the wheel was off it was no more difficult than a bicycle tyre, really.

Can't say the same about anything else though. When I got the hub apart the cush rubbers just fell out onto the ground, they're definitely shot (so now I'll have to wait on replacements). While I was in there I checked out the brakes, they're OK at least.

I have a sprocket and chain kit I was also going to install while I was monkeying around with the rear wheel, but cannot get the rear sprocket off to save my life (tried putting it in the freezer for ~45 mins, should I go longer?). Probably doesn't help my ratchet handle is only 8". I put the rear wheel back on and tried getting the front sprocket off, but it was also super hard, was worried I'd bend the spokes so I stopped (from the video I found, the guy put something through the wheel to stop it from turning with the front sprocket and lock the latter in place... is this OK?). Anyone have a recommended penetrating oil for those stuck bolts? For the front sprocket, would it make any difference to put an ice pack up against it for a while, or no?

Got the bike up on a milk crate (nice having something you can manhandle yourself) to do the front wheel, but was stopped by the brake and speedo cables, have no spanner that will fit (too small/space is too tight, the only adjustable one I have is a huge one) :doh: Think I should be OK there once the factory toolkit gets here next week, at least.

So uh, that was my afternoon.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Nov 21, 2015

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Why in the gently caress is the live battery terminal the negative/black one? This is really messing with my head.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Old British bike? I didn't think anyone still used positive-ground electrical systems.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
No, but every manual I find is telling me to remove black first to avoid sparks, which is like, wuh? If black was ground and red was live, surely having red still connected and black loose would be the way to get shocked if you accidentally grounded it on the frame/yourself?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Nope, if you remove the ground, you can touch anything except for the positive terminal and you're fine, since it's normally grounded anyway. If you remove the red, which isn't grounded, and accidentally touched the frame/engine/etc., then you'd be shorting the connection.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Yeah, that's the justification. You want the battery disconnected from the frame before you do any other work

When they say "to avoid sparks", consider what would happen if you used a screwdriver or wrench to loosen the positive battery terminal first, and accidentally touched the tool to the frame while you were doing so.

Renaissance Robot posted:

If black was ground and red was live, surely having red still connected and black loose would be the way to get shocked if you accidentally grounded it on the frame/yourself?

When unplugging the negative first, the black wire that is now floating around is connected to the frame, not the battery. You can grab the positive post with one hand and the loose ground wire with the other, and as long as you don't also touch the battery's negative terminal, you'll be fine (note: do not try this)

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 21, 2015

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Ooooh, I get it. My knowledge of electronics is mostly theoretical, so I forgot to consider that the physical arrangement of wires in the loom might have any effect :downs:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Help! So firstly I'm an idiot. I have an sr400 and I just did my first oil change. Everything was working well but after running it at idle to check for leaks and pressure I turned off my bike but left the lights on. The battery is dead and I can't kick my bike. This particular bike is a kick start but I know it also uses efi, so am I just boned? It won't kick no matter what I do. I also ride it down a hill and tried to drop it into gear but that didn't work either. Any advice? Yes I'm a moron I know :(

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Knifegrab posted:

Help! So firstly I'm an idiot. I have an sr400 and I just did my first oil change. Everything was working well but after running it at idle to check for leaks and pressure I turned off my bike but left the lights on. The battery is dead and I can't kick my bike. This particular bike is a kick start but I know it also uses efi, so am I just boned? It won't kick no matter what I do. I also ride it down a hill and tried to drop it into gear but that didn't work either. Any advice? Yes I'm a moron I know :(

Did you try to bump start it in second or third? I can't bump start my bike in first gear. Some bikes won't run/start without some charge in the battery. So just charge the battery (or jump it, but make sure you do it like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTDGr8XyEhk, not like you would with a car).

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

builds character posted:

Did you try to bump start it in second or third? I can't bump start my bike in first gear. Some bikes won't run/start without some charge in the battery. So just charge the battery (or jump it, but make sure you do it like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTDGr8XyEhk, not like you would with a car).

What does bump starting it mean? I did manage to get it started but I am worried I did something stupid and potentially bad for my bike. I started stationary and put the bike in first. Then I pulled the decomp level and someone helped push me, once I got up to a decent clip I noticed all my lights were on at full power so I released the decomp lever and it just started up on its own with the momentum. I clutched in and put it in neutral and now my bike is fine but was this method potentially bad for my bike?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Oh jesus.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

nsaP posted:

Oh jesus.

Can you expand on this, I'd like to actually know how or what I screwed up.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
No it's fine.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Z3n posted:

No it's fine.

I honestly can't tell if you guys are being sarcastic or not :( I know I am bad at this but I wanna make sure if this happens again I don't do something dumb!

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Knifegrab posted:

I honestly can't tell if you guys are being sarcastic or not :( I know I am bad at this but I wanna make sure if this happens again I don't do something dumb!

I guess you can sell it for parts

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Knifegrab posted:

If there is one thing that z3n is known for on this forum, it's being a sarcastic rear end in a top hat.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

I think you did about the best you could for bump starting an efi bike with a completely dead battery, pushing it in gear with the decomp pulled let the alternator spin and charge the battery somewhat. Usually you'd want to do it in second cause it's too easy to lock the rear when you dump the clutch doing a traditional bump start/hill start but gently caress it, you got it going.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTj1KHdODww

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Knifegrab posted:

Nsap is taking the piss. What you did isn't exactly the textbook definition of bump-starting (or push-starting, same thing) but your bike is fine.

Normal push-starting: Put the bike in neutral. Make sure the ignition and kill switch are both on. Start pushing the bike and get up to a good jogging speed, then hop on. Quickly clutch in, kick up to second, let the clutch out abruptly. The engine should turn over and start. Repeat as needed. You can also try kicking down to first gear instead.

(If you get a friend to push you instead of doing it all yourself, it can be easier).

What you did differently: you left the bike in first gear with the clutch engaged (lever not pulled), and pulled the decompression lever. Normally you wouldn't be able to start pushing the bike if it was in gear like that, because you'd be pushing against the engine compression. By holding the decompression lever in, you were getting around that problem. The big difference is that in the normal method, your engine isn't spinning until you let out the clutch. With your method, the engine starts turning as soon as the wheels are moving. That's why your lights came on.

Why didn't the engine fire up as soon as you started turning it? Because with the decompression lever in, the engine doesn't have enough compression (duh) to ignite. Close that off, and away it goes.

I wouldn't really recommend doing it your way because I don't think you are really supposed to have the engine turning over multiple times with the decompressor open, but it won't have hurt anything.

e: ephthapthpahtpa has a good point, that your way spins the alternator and gives some power to the ECU and EFI system. However, I bet your battery wasn't actually so dead that the ECU wouldn't come on...it only draws a fraction of a watt. Just dead enough that you couldn't get the starter to turn.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Nov 22, 2015

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Why you always lyin?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Razzled posted:

I guess you can sell it for parts

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

nsaP posted:

If there is one thing that z3n is known for on this forum, it's being a sarcastic rear end in a top hat.

About time you assholes give me credit for the long troll.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

Nsap is taking the piss. What you did isn't exactly the textbook definition of bump-starting (or push-starting, same thing) but your bike is fine.

Normal push-starting: Put the bike in neutral. Make sure the ignition and kill switch are both on. Start pushing the bike and get up to a good jogging speed, then hop on. Quickly clutch in, kick up to second, let the clutch out abruptly. The engine should turn over and start. Repeat as needed. You can also try kicking down to first gear instead.

(If you get a friend to push you instead of doing it all yourself, it can be easier).

What you did differently: you left the bike in first gear with the clutch engaged (lever not pulled), and pulled the decompression lever. Normally you wouldn't be able to start pushing the bike if it was in gear like that, because you'd be pushing against the engine compression. By holding the decompression lever in, you were getting around that problem. The big difference is that in the normal method, your engine isn't spinning until you let out the clutch. With your method, the engine starts turning as soon as the wheels are moving. That's why your lights came on.

Why didn't the engine fire up as soon as you started turning it? Because with the decompression lever in, the engine doesn't have enough compression (duh) to ignite. Close that off, and away it goes.

I wouldn't really recommend doing it your way because I don't think you are really supposed to have the engine turning over multiple times with the decompressor open, but it won't have hurt anything.

e: ephthapthpahtpa has a good point, that your way spins the alternator and gives some power to the ECU and EFI system. However, I bet your battery wasn't actually so dead that the ECU wouldn't come on...it only draws a fraction of a watt. Just dead enough that you couldn't get the starter to turn.

Ephphatha posted:

I think you did about the best you could for bump starting an efi bike with a completely dead battery, pushing it in gear with the decomp pulled let the alternator spin and charge the battery somewhat. Usually you'd want to do it in second cause it's too easy to lock the rear when you dump the clutch doing a traditional bump start/hill start but gently caress it, you got it going.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTj1KHdODww

Thanks! Really this helps tremendously :)

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
haha so not only is it a kick start only bike with a drum brake selling for 6k, it also needs a battery to start despite being kick start only lmao

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Bump starting actually is potentially bad for some bikes but only bikes with tapered component connections in the drivetrain without keys or splines. So basically just old BMWs.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Speaking of starting problems, I checked my battery this morning* and got 12.9v across the terminals. I thought this meant it might be okay but several minutes later I'm down to 11.1v with a still-dead bike. Two different mechanics have told me the carbs need cleaning, could that be making it harder to start? Obviously at 11v it's not going to start now without a jump or a new battery, but I'd have thought 12.9 would be enough.

Also a few times it made this kind of EEGHHKKKKKK noise and the tacho swung up to about 6-8k, but the engine didn't actually start. What the heck is that?

(*I'd been going to replace it because I had trouble leaving the shop the other day, but just found out they gave me a battery for a new zzr600 instead of the type I've got; I need 12Ah and they gave me one that's only 8Ah :goleft:)

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

A healthy battery at full charge should be closer to 14V, so 12.9 means it's on its last breath, and as you noticed the voltage drops fast when you put any load on it.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Looking to get some new tyres for the winter on my little 125 supermoto, any good recommendations that come in 130/70-17 rear 110/70-17 front? Seems like the road pilot 4s don't :(

Keket fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 22, 2015

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Speaking of starting problems, I checked my battery this morning* and got 12.9v across the terminals. I thought this meant it might be okay but several minutes later I'm down to 11.1v with a still-dead bike. Two different mechanics have told me the carbs need cleaning, could that be making it harder to start? Obviously at 11v it's not going to start now without a jump or a new battery, but I'd have thought 12.9 would be enough.

Also a few times it made this kind of EEGHHKKKKKK noise and the tacho swung up to about 6-8k, but the engine didn't actually start. What the heck is that?

(*I'd been going to replace it because I had trouble leaving the shop the other day, but just found out they gave me a battery for a new zzr600 instead of the type I've got; I need 12Ah and they gave me one that's only 8Ah :goleft:)

You have a bad battery - that sound is the starter relay slamming open and closed real fast.

Also a fully charged battery should be around 12.7 or so when ignition is off, around 12.5 when ignition is on, and with the bike running and reved to around 1/3rd of total RPM, at around 14. If none of these are true you have a problem.

Likely though your battery got trashed cause it's the wrong one. After that, you probably have a charging system problem - make sure you see ~14v at 5k rpm once you get the battery replaced.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Z3n posted:

Likely though your battery got trashed cause it's the wrong one.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I didn't actually swap the batteries over. The one that's in there now is the one it came with, ie the stock 12v 12Ah maintenance free brick. It's trashed because it's been sat in a garage for three years, and then got started a bunch of times without really going anywhere.

The 8Ah one I'm going to see if I can take back. Don't know how much luck I'll have since the juice is already in it, even though I didn't hook it up. I feel like a dumbass for not double checking before I walked out the store, but when you say "give me a thing to fit this specific bike" you sort of expect professionals to not make retard mistakes like giving you a totally different thing from a totally different bike that happens to have the same name.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You can always give it a try. If you asked for a battery specifically for your bike and they gave you the wrong one, then it should be their problem even if you broke the seal.

And if they refuse you just know where not to go in the future.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

when you say "give me a thing to fit this specific bike" you sort of expect professionals to not make retard mistakes like giving you a totally different thing from a totally different bike that happens to have the same name.

I see you have no experience with buying parts for any vehicle of any kind.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
This is true. :saddowns:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Why does my bike roll different when its in neutral versus when its in gear with the clutch pulled, I'd imagine they would act exactly the same...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Knifegrab posted:

Why does my bike roll different when its in neutral versus when its in gear with the clutch pulled, I'd imagine they would act exactly the same...

Stiction between the clutch plates means that even with the clutch in, there's still some transmission of power from the gearbox to the back wheel (or vice versa if you're freewheeling).

When you say "rolls different", do you mean it's noticeably different when you're on the bike? Because that might be a sign that you need fresh oil or the clutch needs adjusting. If it's just when you're pushing then that's okay.