Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

Elyv posted:

Banning a card under the premise of hurting bloom but not killing it is silly. It's doable, but it's silly. I think you either blow the deck out of the water(by banning literally any key card) or leave it be.

Amulet Bloom is a combo deck that needs 4 different cards (Titan, Amulet, Bloom, Bounceland) to combo and put a Titan in play on turn 2, it needs a second Amulet to get the kill. There are multiple 1 or 2 mana cards that completely negate anything the deck tries to do. Sure, you need to have those cards in hand but so does the Bloom deck and the Amulet player used 4 cards while you stopped that with 1 card. One discard spell or one Path to Exile negates anything you've been trying to do and sets the deck back multiple turns. It hasn't put up amazing results at a regular base and is still a small part of the metagame. I really don't get all the bitching about the deck.

When Affinity vomits it's hand on the table and pretty much kills you on turn 2 or 3 (just like Amulet) or when storm does it's thing on turn 3 (like Amulet) or when Living End starts to do it's stuff on your turn 2 I don't hear the same amount of bitching from people (normal players and pro's alike). What's the difference?

lockdar fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Sam Black just got his poo poo pressed in by a Vandalblast.

He was going to lose to Keranos anyways, though. But that was salt in the wound.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

kizudarake posted:

If anything needs to lose key cards, it's affinity and Twin. Twin at 12.1 percent of the metagame and affinity at 10.4? That's almost a quarter of the field on day 2.

That's almost healthy and within acceptable tolerances!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

lockdar posted:

Amulet Bloom is a combo deck that needs 4 different cards (Titan, Amulet, Bloom, Bounceland) to combo and put a Titan in play on turn 2, it needs a second Amulet to get the kill. There are multiple 1 or 2 mana cards that completely negate anything the deck tries to do. Sure, you need to have those cards in hand but so does the Bloom deck and the Amulet player used 4 cards while you stopped that with 1 card. One discard spell or one Path to Exile negates anything you've been trying to do and sets the deck back multiple turns. It hasn't put up amazing results at a regular base and is still a small part of the metagame. I really don't get all the bitching about the deck.

You're not disagreeing with my core argument.

Also, amulet only gets set back multiple turns by removal if the amulet player decides to greedy instead of titaning for tolaria west + bounceland(if needed).

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Niton posted:

BBE is a known quantity and I don't think Wizards particularly wants it back. Not because of power level reasons (though, BBE + KCommand :stare: ), but because BBE warps the way you construct your deck in some pretty unhealthy ways.

I was adding a more ridiculous part to my post because why not :P

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The variety seems pretty good, it's cool that nearly 1/5 decks have to be classified under "other". I guess pros are annoyed because they can't play some insanely boring 50% vs everything deck but whatever.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Unban Bloodbraidf Elf and Green Sun's Zenith, then you have to choose which one to put in your green deck.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Lets Pickle posted:

Unban Bloodbraidf Elf and Green Sun's Zenith, then you have to choose which one to put in your green deck.

This but unironically

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Lets Pickle posted:

Just play both and Dryad Arbors, clearly.

Also Leonin Arbiter is kind of gross.

e: jesus christ, there is no just world where you should be able to win off a topdeck like that. I can accept Scapeshift, Living End, etc topdecking in that sense, because they're all in on the combo.. but Splinter Twin definitely is not.

Niton fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 22, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Elves guy must have the rage of a thousand suns right now

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
The "local best teen in the shop" I always talk just finished 8th in the Swiss at the GP. My record against him is 3-10-1. He's on UR Twin.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
As someone who played Amulet Bloom, SSG is a bad ban target because there are other, arguably more swingy combo decks that need it as well as a considerably more 'fair' combo deck in Ad Nauseam. If you want to make Bloom more fair, I think Hive Mind is a good target because it takes the most likely version of the uninteractive win out and forces the deck to win via combat damage and opens up creature removal as a counter to the win condition. You can still get incredibly unlikely turn 1 wins, though.

Unironically reprint Force of Will for Modern.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

bhsman posted:

As someone who played Amulet Bloom, SSG is a bad ban target because there are other, arguably more swingy combo decks that need it as well as a considerably more 'fair' combo deck in Ad Nauseam. If you want to make Bloom more fair, I think Hive Mind is a good target because it takes the most likely version of the uninteractive win out and forces the deck to win via combat damage and opens up creature removal as a counter to the win condition. You can still get incredibly unlikely turn 1 wins, though.

So there's 1 deck that uses it in a "fair" way and every other deck abuses it horribly. Ban every card in Amulet except I guess Serum Visions because that card is laughably bad.

bhsman posted:

Unironically reprint Force of Will for Modern.

Mostly this.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

suicidesteve posted:

So there's 1 deck that uses it in a "fair" way and every other deck abuses it horribly. Ban every card in Amulet except I guess Serum Visions because that card is laughably bad.

I mean, having a degenerate combo that doesn't win tournaments seems acceptable; the difference between those and Amulet Bloom is that it consistently does well.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

bhsman posted:

I mean, having a degenerate combo that doesn't win tournaments seems acceptable; the difference between those and Amulet Bloom is that it consistently does well.

I'd argue that the inconsistency is even worse. Do you know how miserable it is to lose your tournament to someone playing some inconsistent deck like that stupid Griselbrand deck when they just happen to draw the perfect hand to kill you turn 2 on the play and there's nothing you can do to stop it because modern isn't allowed to have actual answers.

At least with Bloom you know you lost to A Good Deck that's at worst moderately consistent. But like, oops turn 2 Griselbrand with Thoughtseize backup is pretty stupid.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

suicidesteve posted:

I'd argue that the inconsistency is even worse. Do you know how miserable it is to lose your tournament to someone playing some inconsistent deck like that stupid Griselbrand deck when they just happen to draw the perfect hand to kill you turn 2 on the play and there's nothing you can do to stop it because modern isn't allowed to have actual answers.

At least with Bloom you know you lost to A Good Deck that's at worst moderately consistent. But like, oops turn 2 Griselbrand with Thoughtseize backup is pretty stupid.

You're not wrong on how lovely that feels, but it's the same as losing to an obviously under-skilled player/newbie, a gimmick deck, or just mana-flooded/screwed. Besides, gimmicky combos that don't always do well are, like, the mascot of this thread. :v:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

SSG is a 0-1 of in Amulet lists, banning it would do very little to the deck. I suspect that its main purpose is to allow you to palm a turn 1 kill

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Irony Be My Shield posted:

SSG is a 0-1 of in Amulet lists, banning it would do very little to the deck. I suspect that its main purpose is to allow you to palm a turn 1 kill

Or draw it naturally, but yeah.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I fee like either of the cards in Amulet Bloom's name would be good ban targets to kill the deck without touching the rest of the environment, and banning hive mind would weaken the deck and make it vulnerable to the same things that the other combo decks are all vulnerable to (cheap point removal) with the Pact loop giving it a resiliency that allows it to function on a different vector than twin, making it a viable "combo" deck alongside twin.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The wheels kinda fell off today. Started off 1-0 to go 9-1 and then got 0-2'd by affinity on exact damage 2 games in a row when I had the game the next turn both games. Then lost 2 more in a row to twin not drawing any of my SB... ID'd the final round to get the cash but not what I hoped for after yesterday...

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

mcmagic posted:

Then lost 2 more in a row to twin not drawing any of my SB...

modern.txt

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

mcmagic posted:

The wheels kinda fell off today. Started off 1-0 to go 9-1 and then got 0-2'd by affinity on exact damage 2 games in a row when I had the game the next turn both games. Then lost 2 more in a row to twin not drawing any of my SB... ID'd the final round to get the cash but not what I hoped for after yesterday...

Sorry to hear that. :( What were you running? The Affinity deck?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

bhsman posted:

Sorry to hear that. :( What were you running? The Affinity deck?

He was playing RG Tron. Don't pity him.

Also that Choke. Sure is an interesting and healthy card.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

haha dude at gp has a teferi out and casts a keranos at his main phase instead of flashing it in at his opponents end step, opening him up to path to exile and celestial purge and whatnot. i know everyone makes especially after a long day, but it's interesting to see that this kind of stuff happens at the top tables

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

It's variance heh. I beat it twice day 1 cause I drew my SB. Just didn't see enough of it today.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

mcmagic posted:

I beat it twice day 1 cause I drew my SB.

This too is modern.txt

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Probably more like "I'm playing the deck that beats fair decks but dies to combo".

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Samael posted:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gppit15/day-2-metagame-breakdown-2015-11-22

Here's the day 2 breakdown.

EDIT: 1 copy of blood dragon!? what the gently caress is that

I wish this had decklists so I could see some of the weirder stuff. Did anyone ever get a decklist for that UW Hatebears list? Asking for a friend.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

C-Euro posted:

I wish this had decklists so I could see some of the weirder stuff. Did anyone ever get a decklist for that UW Hatebears list? Asking for a friend.

I played against the guy randomly at a side table, but all I can tell you is that Thalia is really good against cheerios!

It was a cool deck. Maindeck meddling mages, sky hussar, thalia, and vryn's wingmare if I recall.

e; He was also super nice!

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Affinity won over Craig Wescoe's GW Aggro, despite turn 2 Stony Silence from Craig. Turns out racing in the air with signal pests is still pretty good.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Skyl3lazer posted:

sky hussar

....Greg Hatch is that you?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

bhsman posted:

Or draw it naturally, but yeah.

Just playing the deck occasionally online I've liked the 1x Spirit Guide. It's hard to describe why exactly, but it just smoothes things out and at least like half the time you draw it it just lets you do something you couldn't have done otherwise.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
So, figured out that you only get the new commander product via packs from the Legendary Cube. Sure, why not.

Drafting a black/red controlly deck, cause I don't know if that's even a valid archetype. And I draft this.

I will let you figure out what's wrong with it.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah, I'm not really sure how that made it in.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

mcmagic posted:

RIP my hopes and dreams of seeing mcmagic in the top 8. :smith:

Bad luck bro.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
congrat's too splinter twib

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Are the other four flip walkers in? It kiiiiind of makes sense if still incredibly dumb then.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
lol retarded infinite combo wins gp

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Alaan posted:

Are the other four flip walkers in? It kiiiiind of makes sense if still incredibly dumb then.

95% sure they're all in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

lol retarded infinite combo wins gp

There it is! I knew if I refreshed this post someone would be bitching about Twin despite it hasn't been doing well in modern for months.

jassi007 fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 23, 2015

• Locked thread