Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Others that come to mind are Partners in Crime, Fires of Pompeii and The Sontarem Strategem. Looking back it's not as extreme as I remember though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Maliaise Williams continues to be absolutely terrible in every way. I hope the Doctor goes dark as poo poo and destroys the character.

Other than her this was a pretty good episode.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The special edition of "The Five Doctors" is really silly. Even the text commentary points out how most of the added time is a Doctor and Companion looking at something for like an extra second or two.

Anyway

I wish the modern show would do a Multi-Master episode. I've said this numerous times. Gomez, Simm, and Jacobi. Just let them screw with each other until Gomez causes Simm to regenerate. Bam, She caused herself to exist by being so insane.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Burkion posted:

Moffat raised the stakes each time as far as the danger went, but not as far as THIS IS THE DOCTOR'S GREATEST (EMOTIONAL) TRIAL that Moffat has pulled a few times. RTD would play around with that, but with stuff that was like the Time Lord Victorious, while Moffat does stuff that's supposed to be The Doctor's Darkest Day, which has been explicitly called such on two occasions at least. One was the Moment in Day of the Doctor, and the other was facing down the Master in the Graveyard at the end of season 8.

Also the Battle of Demon's Run.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Yes please.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Cleretic posted:

It probably wouldn't have been a good idea at all to pass the murder-tat to Me, even if the terms of the agreement worked to allow it. Trap Street is an uneasy peace, the only thing keeping the place safe was her and the deal with the Raven; if she took it, then both of those are going out the window, and even if someone did step up to replace her they probably wouldn't be able to keep it going.

God drat this was a good episode.

Could have passed it to the Doctor though. The Doctor would probably be able to survive it, and a blast of regeneration energy would have gotten rid of the teleporter too.

Probably best if it can only be transferred once.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

He can't actually get to them though. New York's spacetime around the era they got zapped to was hosed up six ways to Sunday by the Angel's constant feeding. It's more like that sneaky little bit on the Elysium when you see Eleven's suddenly got his jacket back on and tells Amy she needs to remember.

He can't get to them in new york. He could have gone to wisconsin, and sent them a letter telling them to come meet him in wisconsin. :colbert:

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The_Doctor posted:

Yes please.

Absolutely. Agreed.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

And More posted:

You're right, I picked those because I felt the world ending stuff was particularly pointless in those episodes. The only one of your examples that really doesn't involve all of humanity is Midnight, though. Even Tooth and Claw is kind of out there considering they're trying to establish a wolf empire. Let's take World War Three and Partners in Crime as examples, then. :shrug:
I also specifically mentioned Aliens of London, :mad:

Partners in Crime is an odd one, in that it's an "alien invasion" that has absolutely no evidence in the episode that, left to their own devices, the aliens wouldn't just do exactly what the humans want and remove fat. People only start dying when things go wrong. (Yes, they die en masse in Turn Left in America, but a) that's a different time line and b) there's no sign this would happen in the episode itself).

(Side point: Moffat also has alien invasion stories under his watchful loving grace, he just likes them to be a bit weirder (eg Power of Three))

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Angela Christine posted:

He can't get to them in new york. He could have gone to wisconsin, and sent them a letter telling them to come meet him in wisconsin. :colbert:

<Amy and Rory come to on an empty New York street. It is night time and raining. As they stand and look around them, a car's headlights flick on them suddenly from a distance before pulling up by them. A man gets out of the car and walks quickly towards them.>

"Ms Pond?"
"I'm sorry?"
"Is your name Amy Pond?"
"Yes.."
<he pulls out an envelope from his overcoat>
"Western Union. We've been waiting a hell of a long time to deliver this letter..."

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

Yes please.

rad! what's this from?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

The_Doctor posted:

<Amy and Rory come to on an empty New York street. It is night time and raining. As they stand and look around them, a car's headlights flick on them suddenly from a distance before pulling up by them. A man gets out of the car and walks quickly towards them.>

"Ms Pond?"
"I'm sorry?"
"Is your name Amy Pond?"
"Yes.."
<he pulls out an envelope from his overcoat>
"Western Union. We've been waiting a hell of a long time to deliver this letter..."

It's the Doc! He's okay! He's trapped in the past but he's okay!

It really does work.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I also specifically mentioned Aliens of London, :mad:

Partners in Crime is an odd one, in that it's an "alien invasion" that has absolutely no evidence in the episode that, left to their own devices, the aliens wouldn't just do exactly what the humans want and remove fat. People only start dying when things go wrong. (Yes, they die en masse in Turn Left in America, but a) that's a different time line and b) there's no sign this would happen in the episode itself).

(Side point: Moffat also has alien invasion stories under his watchful loving grace, he just likes them to be a bit weirder (eg Power of Three))

Well, that's just part one of World War Three, right? :v:

Yeah, the consequences of her initial plan aren't necessarily apparent when watching the episode on its own, but the matron is clearly willing to kill people if it means speeding up the process. Donna was onto her without the Doctor's help. It's not unimaginable that someone would have figured this stuff out, if he hadn't shown up.

(Absolutely. Moffat has invasions, too, but he also has many confined episodes. RTD has only a few of them. The ones that come to mind are Father's Day, Blink and Midnight. There are tons from series 5 onward, though. To name a few: Vincent and the Doctor, Night Terrors and Listen.)

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Moffat allows his writers to introduce world ending stakes all the time. It reached peak ridiculousness when that bad puppet robot was meant to be able to kill every human on Earth despite Danny Pink being able to defeat it by jumping. Danny Pink couldn't even defeat a car so the Skullballs Blitzer must've been really poo poo.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

PriorMarcus posted:

Moffat allows his writers to introduce world ending stakes all the time. It reached peak ridiculousness when that bad puppet robot was meant to be able to kill every human on Earth despite Danny Pink being able to defeat it by jumping. Danny Pink couldn't even defeat a car so the Skullballs Blitzer must've been really poo poo.

Hey, we don't know whether or not that car got REALLY hosed up in the accident :colbert:

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

egon_beeblebrox posted:

The special edition of "The Five Doctors" is really silly. Even the text commentary points out how most of the added time is a Doctor and Companion looking at something for like an extra second or two.

Have you watched it with the hidden commentary track on yet? :getin:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Yes please.

This is awesome. I didn't know the old Cybermen had human hands though.

At least they didn't when I last saw them in The Moonbase.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

PriorMarcus posted:

I always thought that maybe the Blitzer was technically capable of destroying the world, but that doesn't mean it was good at it. Sure it's still dangerous, and sure the Doctor still needs to take care of it, but it's more likely to destroy the world accidentally than on purpose.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

AndyElusive posted:

This is awesome. I didn't know the old Cybermen had human hands though.

At least they didn't when I last saw them in The Moonbase.

Only in the Tenth Planet.

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Maliaise Williams continues to be absolutely terrible in every way. I hope the Doctor goes dark as poo poo and destroys the character.

Other than her this was a pretty good episode.

What if she is the next companion? I don't really like her either and it's not just because I find her character uninteresting.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Maxwell Lord posted:

Only in the Tenth Planet.

and only apparently because the designer forgot about them when they started filming

also where's that from

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I found it on the On Target Facebook group. It's just fanart, but it's really good.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

Yes please.

The only person who wants this more than us is Peter Capaldi. :allears:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

saucerman posted:

What if she is the next companion? I don't really like her either and it's not just because I find her character uninteresting.

If she is the next companion long term, I might stop watching new episodes for a while.

Everything about her character has been just the worst thing. Just, all of it. Including the very nature of how she works and how the Doctor just had that bullshit laying around.

Finite memory does not work the way they think it does, she should have aged at some point if her chemistry wasn't frozen in place.

Like here's where it breaks down. To be immortal the way she is, she would have to be constantly regenerating and constantly be kept in tip top shape. This would not hinder aging until a certain point- we are not physically at our peak until the late 20s/30s of our lives. It's after that that aging would stop because it would no longer be beneficial and thus something to 'correct'.

This means that her memories would be constantly changing, as the show presents.

However that's not what they did.

Instead of doing something loving clever that would allow the character to last for as long as they could ever want, since you could easily justify a change in actress (LIKE THE DOCTOR IMAGINE THAT) they go the opposite route.

They have the medical chip freeze her in place. Which I would have to assume includes body chemistry which would include her brain.

The problem there? Since her brain can't keep all of the memories, it would reject the NEW memories before it would the old, especially since the old stuff is what is being kept as priority.

Meaning she should remember her past, up to becoming immortal, just fine- it'd be everything else she'd have issues with.

You know.

Like Alzheimer's or Dementia.

Instead they chose to do the most assbackwards thing possible so they can get their whatever the gently caress they're trying to do with her out there.

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

Burkion posted:

If she is the next companion long term, I might stop watching new episodes for a while.

That's what I wanted to say, too, but then who am I kidding? I would still tune in :v:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

We all know it's gonna be Shona making her triumphant return :colbert:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Burkion posted:

Everything about her character has been just the worst thing. Just, all of it. Including the very nature of how she works and how the Doctor just had that bullshit laying around.

Finite memory does not work the way they think it does, she should have aged at some point if her chemistry wasn't frozen in place.

Like here's where it breaks down. To be immortal the way she is, she would have to be constantly regenerating and constantly be kept in tip top shape. This would not hinder aging until a certain point- we are not physically at our peak until the late 20s/30s of our lives. It's after that that aging would stop because it would no longer be beneficial and thus something to 'correct'.

This means that her memories would be constantly changing, as the show presents.

However that's not what they did.

Instead of doing something loving clever that would allow the character to last for as long as they could ever want, since you could easily justify a change in actress (LIKE THE DOCTOR IMAGINE THAT) they go the opposite route.

They have the medical chip freeze her in place. Which I would have to assume includes body chemistry which would include her brain.

The problem there? Since her brain can't keep all of the memories, it would reject the NEW memories before it would the old, especially since the old stuff is what is being kept as priority.

Meaning she should remember her past, up to becoming immortal, just fine- it'd be everything else she'd have issues with.

You know.

Like Alzheimer's or Dementia.

Instead they chose to do the most assbackwards thing possible so they can get their whatever the gently caress they're trying to do with her out there.

You know how DoctorWhat feels when people bitch about the moon egg thing? That's me here. You're complaining about something that has jackshit to do with what the story is about.
How would her being Viking Guy Pearce from Memento help tell the story of the cost of an immortal perspective?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

saucerman posted:

Thankfully her GoT contract prevents her from signing on full time. She really is dreadful and the pages of people gushing about here a few weeks back just made my eyes roll.

But anywho, am I mad or do these symbols/buttons look a little familiar.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gaz-L posted:

You know how DoctorWhat feels when people bitch about the moon egg thing? That's me here. You're complaining about something that has jackshit to do with what the story is about.
How would her being Viking Guy Pearce from Memento help tell the story of the cost of an immortal perspective?

Because they bothered to explain how it worked.

And they were wrong.

Mind you, I actually care about brain issues like this, so this is more of a personal thing for me. If they just left it vague as possible or actually bothered to show her aging at all, I wouldn't care near as much.

Instead they act like she's a Highlander and the last time Highlander flirted with SciFi terrible things happened

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Burkion posted:

Instead they act like she's a Highlander and the last time Highlander flirted with SciFi terrible things happened

Highlander: the Source is a crime against all cinema.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Man, I'm not getting the vitriol some people are putting on Ashildr/Me. Like, she ain't making my favorite Who character list, but she's been incredibly inoffensive to me.

I can even get not liking the character, she has problems. I know a lot of it is probably just hyperbole, but the "she's super loving awful and terrible" thing seems a bit excessive.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Action Jacktion posted:

Seriously, she was irritating and stupid. I don't know why they created this character. They're already repeating themselves: For the second time in a row she keeps information from the Doctor about making a deal with shady aliens, then acts surprised when it doesn't go how she expected.

The Master posted:

It's too late, Doctor, I've already made an alliance. Nothing can save you from the wee turtles! :smugdog:

The Master posted:

Doctor! Save me from the wee turtles! They were too quick for me! :derp:

REPEAT

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jsor posted:

Man, I'm not getting the vitriol some people are putting on Ashildr/Me. Like, she ain't making my favorite Who character list, but she's been incredibly inoffensive to me.

I can even get not liking the character, she has problems. I know a lot of it is probably just hyperbole, but the "she's super loving awful and terrible" thing seems a bit excessive.

Yeah, like what did that want her to be? One of Moffat's archetypical OTT campy cool women?

Edit: I want to clarify I'm not kidding here. If she'd been a strutting, perfect, icy femme-fatale like Tasha Lem, Madame Kovarian, the one from the bank episode, and hell Missy, flirting it up with the Doctor, everyone would have bitched.

Ashildr has some complexity of a different type. She can be bad, but also have genuine fun. She also showed real "oh poo poo" contrition when she realized she'd hosed up. She puts on a front, but she still has a conscience. She can go in a lot of directions as a character.

Astroman fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 23, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Astroman posted:

Yeah, like what did that want her to be?

Played by a different actress.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Highlander: the Source is a crime against all cinema.

It has that scene where Joe hits the bad guy with a pickup truck and said baddy flies out of shot yelling "HELLOOO JOOOE!", though.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, if there's any real fault to Ashildr, it's Maisie Williams's slightly underwhelming performance. She's written fine.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

She eventually forgets things because they happened a long time ago. This is not a difficult concept to grasp.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

HD DAD posted:

Yeah, if there's any real fault to Ashildr, it's Maisie Williams's slightly underwhelming performance. She's written fine.

I have been nothing but impressed by her performance, even compared to the solid work she does on Game of Thrones. She did a really nice job building up a contrast between Ashildr as a fairly normal Viking child and as someone who's had to live for hundreds of years.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

When I think about Me and her memory I just wonder why Captain Jack doesn't have that problem.

Or does he? I never watched Torchwood or any of the EU stuff.

My opinion on me is she isn't great, but not as awful as some people say. She is[ a flawed concept though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

It has that scene where Joe hits the bad guy with a pickup truck and said baddy flies out of shot yelling "HELLOOO JOOOE!", though.

I got to meet Adrian Paul at a convention a few years ago. During a pane he was on someone asked why they shattered the sword he had used since day 1 and his rather irritated answer was "Someone decided McCleod needed to be more like Wolverine so they gave me two short swords to work with. They didn't even explain it in the script, they just told me to pick them up off the ground when were shot the scene."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Cabinet posted:

When I think about Me and her memory I just wonder why Captain Jack doesn't have that problem.

Or does he? I never watched Torchwood or any of the EU stuff.

My opinion on me is she isn't great, but not as awful as some people say. She is[ a flawed concept though.

Most of the times we've seen him he isn't as old as Ashildr. After he was abandoned and got himself stuck on earth he spent around 100 years waiting for the right Doctor to show up. So when he's in Torchwood he's probably less than two hundred years old, which is only about twice as long as an average human brain is expected to work. He does end up getting buried alive for 1000 years or so at one point, but that time was spent gasping awake, suffocating to death, and gasping awake again hundreds of times per day, so he wasn't forming any complex memories there. He might not have gotten to the point where he would have memory problems yet.

Ashildr is just kept alive by a hyperactive alien medical technology, while Jack was accidentally immortalized by an unskilled time goddess, so they work differently. His brain may not have been normal even before that, because he was a time agent and had contact with a TARDIS which has been shown to change human cognition.

• Locked thread