Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Also Jack is from the 50th century or thereabouts; probably by then they have lifespans into 200 years or so, and there could be some genetic engineering/evolution at hand that would help memory.

I think it's also worth comparing why Jack isn't such a dick. Of course, he's had less time than Ashdlr; could he be headed for the same fate? Could the Doctor meet a Jack in the year 2300 who is a raging evil rear end in a top hat? That'd be worth an episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

In episode 4x07, Itchy makes a xylophone from Scratchy's ribcage, and strikes the same rib twice, but it produces the same tone both times. I sure hope somebody got fired for that blunder.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I found Clara's death really underwhelming, which makes me think this isn't exactly it. I did like when she refers to how Danny died, but overall it really felt small.

As others have said, we very well could end the season with the Doctor going back along his time line trying to save Clara.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

Astroman posted:

Also Jack is from the 50th century or thereabouts; probably by then they have lifespans into 200 years or so, and there could be some genetic engineering/evolution at hand that would help memory.

I think it's also worth comparing why Jack isn't such a dick. Of course, he's had less time than Ashdlr; could he be headed for the same fate? Could the Doctor meet a Jack in the year 2300 who is a raging evil rear end in a top hat? That'd be worth an episode.

Jack actually remembers the emotional context of his memories. Ashldlr only remembers her interactions with the Doctor and Clara in the context of reading them out of her diary.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

I found Clara's death really underwhelming, which makes me think this isn't exactly it. I did like when she refers to how Danny died, but overall it really felt small.

As others have said, we very well could end the season with the Doctor going back along his time line trying to save Clara.

It felt a tad rushed, I think, but it's probably because this has been a season with a lot of two-parters, which has sought to really dwell on the dramatic moments with big, swelling music and long, speechless. It's a little weird that it had its own writer, because it seems like it was so tied with everything else in the series that it would have had to be really heavily edited. I liked it overall, but I have some minor misgivings. I know the "constantly being reckless after Danny" is a little obvious, but it did feel genuine and embedded throughout the season. I'm a little upset that her death is way more about the Doctor than about her, though. I guess maybe that's a little inevitable in a show where the titular character is immortal and in which he completely alters the lives of the people he interacts with; their experiencing their own lives is always going to be about experiencing his.

Either way, I have mostly really liked this season. The Gatiss episode was a bit of a dud for me. The "found footage" thing just felt like it was trying too hard, and the shock ending that the Doctor telegraphed a few seconds before it happened felt more like an apology for adhering to formula than a clever way to embed the formula as a reason into the fiction.

Other than that one, I've really enjoyed it. The Zygon two-parter felt a bit like the old UNIT days with a David Tennant shouty-speech at the end, but I'm a sucker for that kind of thing. I hope Harness, Mathieson and Treganna all come back to do more writing (and Sarah Dollard too - I'd be interested to see what she would do with something a little more self-contained).

I hope they don't use Clara's departure as an excuse to an entirely grimdark season, though.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Happy 52nd birthday, Doctor Who

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Burkion posted:

If she is the next companion long term, I might stop watching new episodes for a while.

Everything about her character has been just the worst thing. Just, all of it. Including the very nature of how she works and how the Doctor just had that bullshit laying around.

Finite memory does not work the way they think it does, she should have aged at some point if her chemistry wasn't frozen in place.

Like here's where it breaks down. To be immortal the way she is, she would have to be constantly regenerating and constantly be kept in tip top shape. This would not hinder aging until a certain point- we are not physically at our peak until the late 20s/30s of our lives. It's after that that aging would stop because it would no longer be beneficial and thus something to 'correct'.

This means that her memories would be constantly changing, as the show presents.

Maybe the Sci-fi fictional technology doesn't work the way you randomly decided you dumb nerd

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

My favorite bit is when Condo is lightly touching Sarah-Jane and Solon (Philip Madoc :swoon:) is allowing it, and then she groans and he very quietly snaps,"Okay stop that, she doesn't like it."

I love how the Doc keeps cracking wise to the Sisters and winding them up: "No Sorin, I'm delighted to see you, that music was terrible!" :v: :v:

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Astroman posted:

? Could the Doctor meet a Jack in the year 2300 who is a raging evil rear end in a top hat? That'd be worth an episode.

Probably have Jack take up a fake name. Like Malcolm.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Astroman posted:

Ashildr's brain and glands and whatnot were 'locked in' when she was a teenager. Teenagers have trouble with impulsiveness and poor decision making partly because they lack life experience, and partly because their brain isn't completely finished and their hormones are a bit wild. She's not exactly an adult, she's a very old teenager.

Jack was fully an adult. In his 20s, maybe even 30s when he got stuck (assuming future healthcare helps people stay healthy and youthful looking longer). His brain was fully cooked and he had well developed coping mechanisms. He might have an advantage in the long term.

Jack also had a cultural advantage for long-term isolation. He was a free agent, and he liked it that way. He could make new friends easily. He valued himself as an individual, not by his job or his family. Ashildr 1.O was very much a member of a tight knit community, not an individual. Everyone knew her, likely everyone she knew was related to her. Her village wasn't just her home, it was her family, her clan, and her sense of self derived from that. She wanted to be a shield maiden, but she also fully expected to get married and have babies and eventually grandchildren because that is what everyone does. After becoming immortal she was repeatedly cut off from her sense of community when everyone she loved died through disaster or just the passing of time. It gutted her. Losing her family over and over was too painful, so she cut herself off from the tapestry of community and became just Me. But at the time she did that, she still didn't have a good cultural template for footloose individuality like Jack.

Jack is probably okay.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

ewe2 posted:

I love how the Doc keeps cracking wise to the Sisters and winding them up: "No Sorin, I'm delighted to see you, that music was terrible!" :v: :v:

Sacred fire, sacred flame!

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

The_Doctor posted:

Yes please.

I think this is my most wanted Doctor Who thing. Well, maybe number two after Marco Polo being found, I don't know. I'm just very fond of the Tenth Planet Cybes and would love to see them (or something closer to that concept) come back so much.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ashildr & Co were using retcon, so I guess she did eventually run into Jack..

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

Little_wh0re posted:

Maybe the Sci-fi fictional technology doesn't work the way you randomly decided you dumb nerd

Indeed. Not only that but how can we be sure that their human brain works exactly the same as our brains? After all Doctor Who must take place in a different universe and we cannot assume that their and our laws of physics are the same.

In other words: Don't overthink every little detail you nerds.

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

Astroman posted:

Wait, I thought it was heavily implied that Jack turned in to the Face of Boe after thousands or hundreds of thousands of years?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
They've released a clip of the BF War Doctor!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Little_wh0re posted:

Well there is something of an inconsistency (she wouldn't need to "learn how to be immune to the plague" through practice, the alien healing device would do that) but it's not worth an essay over.

No, essays are for things like "

CobiWann posted:

About 10 minutes into Brain, the Sisterhood start to chant "DEATH DEATH DEATH DEATH!" after each of the mother superior's lines. I want someone to make an edit of this serial where it happens after every single one of her lines. Bonus points for doing Night, too

(quoting me from the last thread)

That's also bad, but not as bad because the fact that the Master is working against the Doctor is not presented as a twist every time.

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Nov 23, 2015

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
A lot of the hate for Me/Ashildr comes from the way the character is put forward - emotionally flattened from having gone through over a millenia of poo poo. Sure, they could have played her as masking internal torment with campy humour, but that's been done to death in this series (Missy, River, Capt Jack etc etc). The problem is that emotionally rigid characters work best as straight men for a wider cast (Mass Effect), and takes ridiculous acting chops to pull off (Jennifer Hale). I think Williams did pretty well at portraying the mask slipping when the doctor shows up and she's immediately hurled out of her depth.

CobiWann posted:

I love that the mystical technobabble that saved the mystical order of whatjamathing was 1970s chimney cleaner. It puts the rest of the doctor pulling obscure technology out of his rear end in (silly) context.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

egon_beeblebrox posted:

NO! Not The Mind Probe.

This, plus

You know, Doctor, I could play all day in my green kingdom.

and

YOU CAN'T MEND PEOPLE!!!

are my top three favourite quotes :allears:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The theory that we have been watching this series out of order is interesting, but how does Ashildr fit into it? If this is the Doctor from before the start of this series then he shouldn't know Ashildr.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Senor Tron posted:

The theory that we have been watching this series out of order is interesting, but how does Ashildr fit into it? If this is the Doctor from before the start of this series then he shouldn't know Ashildr.

This is a really excellent point actually.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Big Finish put a bunch of their most popular main range titles on sale for the week. Any recommendations?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Ms Boods posted:

This, plus

You know, Doctor, I could play all day in my green kingdom.

and

YOU CAN'T MEND PEOPLE!!!

are my top three favourite quotes :allears:

No love for "Good evening, impulse laser"?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2fl8uu_arc-of-infinity-pt-1_shortfilms (7:45 in)

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

And a very happy 52nd birthday to all of you at home! There is only one way to celebrate.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x23j8l3_an-unearthly-child-1-an-unearthly-child_shortfilms

The exact time to watch this, if you're a real stickler, is 5:16pm in the Queen's Own Time Zone, which is 12:16 Eastern (any other Johnny Foreigner types can work it out for themselves). It's still the best 23 minutes the show's ever done.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

It's just under 4 hours away if that helps

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Clouseau posted:

Big Finish put a bunch of their most popular main range titles on sale for the week. Any recommendations?

They’re all pretty solid (save for Terror Firma which you either love or…well, Joseph Lidster)…but the best of the best?

The Holy Terror
The Chimes of Midnight
Spare Parts
Davros
The Kingmaker
The Silver Turk
The Rani Elite
The Last of the Cybermen

If I only had to pick three? The Chimes of Midnight, Davros, The Last of the Cybermen

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Cool! I've listened to all the earlier ones that have been cheap all along, but these newer ones I'm pretty well behind on. I'll check these out.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

CobiWann posted:

They’re all pretty solid (save for Terror Firma which you either love or…well, Joseph Lidster)…but the best of the best?

The Holy Terror
The Chimes of Midnight
Spare Parts
Davros
The Kingmaker
The Silver Turk
The Rani Elite
The Last of the Cybermen

If I only had to pick three? The Chimes of Midnight, Davros, The Last of the Cybermen

How on earth is Terror Firma in that list?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Fil5000 posted:

The list of 20 is from fan voting – these are the top 20 main range stories as picked by Big Finish fans.

Some people love this story because it’s Eight, Davros, and the Daleks.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

CobiWann posted:

The list of 20 is from fan voting – these are the top 20 main range stories as picked by Big Finish fans.

Some people love this story because it’s Eight, Davros, and the Daleks.

Ugh. Well, to each their own, even if their own is a big stinking pile of garbage.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Fil5000 posted:

Ugh. Well, to each their own, even if their own is a big stinking pile of garbage.

Hey, one man’s Terror Firma is another man’s The Rapture!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The reason BF keeps putting out things like Terror Firma is that their target demographic eats that poo poo up.

Hopefully their acquisition of the New Series license will lead to a shift in their perception of their ideal target demo and we'll get some actually inventive stuff in their Main Range more than once or twice a year, like in the time around the 40th.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

CobiWann posted:

Hey, one man’s Terror Firma is another man’s The Rapture!

I can't help but feel you're doing this on purpose.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Heh -- a good one, but doesn't ring my chimes the way those other three do.

Trin Tragula posted:

And a very happy 52nd birthday to all of you at home! There is only one way to celebrate.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x23j8l3_an-unearthly-child-1-an-unearthly-child_shortfilms

The exact time to watch this, if you're a real stickler, is 5:16pm in the Queen's Own Time Zone, which is 12:16 Eastern (any other Johnny Foreigner types can work it out for themselves). It's still the best 23 minutes the show's ever done.

:neckbeard: I cued this up this morning on DailyMotion, and thought, 'Nah, it's too bright and sunny for this!' Got the tab waiting for another two hours (it's only 1515 at the moment) when it's suitably dark.

(I watched Gridlock again, instead, as we've just wended our way through Father Ted and I suddenly remembered that Brannigan the Cat was played by Ardal O'Hanlon and wanted to see it again -- crikey, it's probably been years since I watched a Martha Jones episode.)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The idea that the villain is either named Mr Impulse Laser or is actually literally just an impulse laser tickles me

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Fil5000 posted:

Terry Molloy said it was his favorite BF script. :negative:

EDIT - But what if he was just playing a Davros-style mind game with us?! :aaaaa:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DoctorWhat posted:

The reason BF keeps putting out things like Terror Firma is that their target demographic eats that poo poo up.

Who is their target demographic, anyway? I've always assumed it's just "Doctor Who fans", but is it any particular type thereof?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

Who is their target demographic, anyway? I've always assumed it's just "Doctor Who fans", but is it any particular type thereof?

People who will consume expanded continuity media, ie big nerds I guess

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

You might as well ask for Marvel and DC to concentrate their output on inventive new comics instead of Batman punching the Joker for the thousandth time. It's what the nerd fans want, and that's the only people buying these things. We can cherish the diamonds in the poo poo but the you'll always have the poo poo to sift through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I just like watching Doctor Who :shobon:

• Locked thread