Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Probottt posted:

I know this was posted in the thread somewhere, but I can't seem to find it - does anyone know any any good map making software for Doom? I've been playing a bunch of WADs recently and have been wanting to try my hand at making my own and was wondering what the goon preferred tools were.

GZDoom Builder, generally I think. That's what I got at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
GZDoom Builder is definitely what you want.

Don't be fooled by the name, it's not actually specifically for GZDoom; it's just a fork of Doom Builder 2 that is actually under active development.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Probottt posted:

I know this was posted in the thread somewhere, but I can't seem to find it - does anyone know any any good map making software for Doom? I've been playing a bunch of WADs recently and have been wanting to try my hand at making my own and was wondering what the goon preferred tools were.
GZDoom Builder is currently the cream of the crop for map-making. For other stuff like textures and sprites (and map-making on non-windows platforms), SLADE3 is where you go.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Wad making protip: stick to making vanilla compatible wads first. The limitations ain't that bad, and it'll keep you from getting carried away on early projects.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013
Thanks! I'll download it and start fiddling with it when I get some time tomorrow.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Tell me your favorite Star Wars: Dark Forces experiences! I want to hear them and imagine what it was like being a fifth grader again and scared shitless of those god-forsaken sewer monsters in the third level :gonk:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

It's time.

ModDB page and downloads

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

I'm gettin' PSYCHED

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Gonna have to check it out in the morning but wooooo!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

oooooooh yeah :D

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Parrotine posted:

Tell me your favorite Star Wars: Dark Forces experiences! I want to hear them and imagine what it was like being a fifth grader again and scared shitless of those god-forsaken sewer monsters in the third level :gonk:
I liked the Jabba level for some reason. There was a spot you could go "fishing" with thermal detonators - these small pits that had the pig guys in them. You could crouch down and roll detonators in there; after a few seconds you'd hear a explosion/squeal and glimpse his horns as he was thrown into the air.

You could also crouch down, look all the way up, and run around punching guys into the ceiling (you may have needed the weapon booster power up for maximum effect).

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Just beat the first level. Somehow, there's no music in-game :( nevermind, somehow I used some ridiculously outdated version of ECWolf despite downloading the newest one. I'm on the 3rd level, the music is just :black101:

laserghost fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 22, 2015

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Parrotine posted:

I never made it past the third level as a kid. Or whatever level those giant loving fish showed up in Dark Forces 2. :smith::hf::dogbutton:

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Klaus88 posted:

I never made it past the third level as a kid. Or whatever level those giant loving fish showed up in Dark Forces 2. :smith::hf::dogbutton:

I remember falling into the water in the city(?) level (where you can find Max in a house) and a giant goddamn fish just came out of nowhere and it scared 11 year old me shitless

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Reagan must not have known the full extend of their capabilities - we can not allow the proliferation of infinitely-thin roof technology!

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Keiya posted:

Reagan must not have known the full extend of their capabilities - we can not allow the proliferation of infinitely-thin roof technology!

Welcome to Wolfenstein modding. Soon you will encounter their incredibly advanced square riverbank technology.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Woolie Wool posted:

Welcome to Wolfenstein modding. Soon you will encounter their incredibly advanced square riverbank technology.

You can fix that by having transition tiles. Like explained here.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I got Lucasarts Archives: Volume 2 for Christmas, which has the super demo for Dark Forces. That had the first three missions on it. Played the poo poo out of it, didn't actually get the full game till years later.

If I knew a ton about build modding I'd make an ode to 90s Star Wars mod.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

netcat posted:

I remember falling into the water in the city(?) level (where you can find Max in a house) and a giant goddamn fish just came out of nowhere and it scared 11 year old me shitless

The squid things are actually really squishy and totally non threatening at a distance. The most dangerous enemy in JK is gravity by far

ytisomauq
Dec 15, 2000

Casimir Radon posted:

If I knew a ton about build modding I'd make an ode to 90s Star Wars mod.

With the crazy melee mods out there now, the Lightsaber might be more than just a chainsaw replacement...

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Speaking of squids and the Dark Forces series, those sewer serpents or whatever they're called in Stage 3 of the original Dark Forces freak me the hell out. They're piss easy to kill, of course, but it's awfully paranoia-inducing when you think you've killed them all, only to hear yet another one slinking about in the sewage, waiting to pop-scare you. Worse is how it just keeps happening, to the point that if you told me the game spawned new serpents to replace the ones I'd already zapped, I'd find it plausible.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Those things are also supposed to be squids, but you could be forgiven for not noticing since their modus operandi is to pop up in pitch blackness, flail at you for half a second and 50 damage, and then vanish.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Shadow Hog posted:

Speaking of squids and the Dark Forces series, those sewer serpents or whatever they're called in Stage 3 of the original Dark Forces freak me the hell out. They're piss easy to kill, of course, but it's awfully paranoia-inducing when you think you've killed them all, only to hear yet another one slinking about in the sewage, waiting to pop-scare you. Worse is how it just keeps happening, to the point that if you told me the game spawned new serpents to replace the ones I'd already zapped, I'd find it plausible.

Hexen's Naga/Kappa(?) enemies do this to me. :gonk:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Thyrork posted:

They're called stalkers (game manual), serpents (source code), or waterlurkers (scripts).

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

skasion posted:

The squid things are actually really squishy and totally non threatening at a distance. The most dangerous enemy in JK is gravity by far

With maximum Force Sprint, you could off yourself by running into the walls.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Animal-Mother posted:

With maximum Force Sprint, you could off yourself by running into the walls.

Oh yeah, four stars in Force Jump is almost as bad a newbie trap - especially if you played the later games first and, oblivious to the ceiling above your head, are wondering why holding down your jump key doesn't seem to make you jump.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I remember being really impressed with the verticality of the Nar Shaddah level in Dark Forces. There were even places where you could look out the window and see a brick with a spaceship texture shuttlecraft flying around servicing some other part of the city.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Thyrork posted:

See, Hexen totally does spawn in new enemies. I believe it's in some misguided attempt at making the hubs remain action-packed. Problem is, one of the things I like about early FPS titles is that, no matter how convoluted the map, if I clear an area out of enemies, generally speaking they stay dead, creating little safe pockets in the map if I need them. If new enemies do spawn in, usually you can see the closet from which they spawned, or can directly see the correlation between them spawning and something you'd just done. Hexen does away with that by just spawning in enemies at random wherever you're not looking, and it's rather unnerving.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I think some Dark Forces levels do spawn in enemies whereever you aren't looking, just because some of them never do seem to quite empty out, no matter how many stormtroopers you plug.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Shadow Hog posted:

See, Hexen totally does spawn in new enemies.

Yeah, but the new enemies usually are just quickly-dispatched ettins. That said, in some Deathking levels, it does spawn stalkers...
http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Hexen_scripted_monster_spawning

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm almost positive Dark Forces had a way to specify whether or not enemies would respawn in a certain sector.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

Hey, what are the modding tools for Wolfenstein actually like? I understand it's all pretty straight forward (maps just being a grid etc) but is there anything in windows or would I need to set up dosbox? Wolfenstein seems like a fun little engine to put together quick little maps and mods in..

edit: not that this is a little mod, jeez it looks impressive for wolf3d. I just meant that wolf3d might be a good engine to just tinker with on a lunch break and cut my teeth on. Or would doom be better?

QwertySanchez fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 25, 2015

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

First screenshots of the System Shock remake are out.

That actually looks really good.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

:stare:

I wasn't actually expecting this to happen despite the announcement.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

That does look pretty good. Honestly not too sure how I feel about a remake, but I'll certainly give it a shot.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

It's... actually happening :stare:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I'm not convinced. Looks to me like it's the exact same blockiness of geometry, with detailing added by having glowy poo poo on the doors and steam particle showers. It's kind of uninspired.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Call me a grognard, but I think I'll take the original blocky level design prettied up over an attempt to completely redo the original game.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
On the subject of blockiness and stuff, I dunno if it's been mentioned, but Gunscape's on steam. That one minecrafty looking game where you build levels creative style and then can upload and play them. it's free to play right now, I don't know if that's just because it's in early access or what. You get the wolfenstein and marathon sets free, but the others you have to pay for, you don't need to buy sets to play other people's levels that contain them though. Clicking on a random item (the Big daddy equivalent) was $0.70, but if I wanted to buy the full bathysphere/bioshock set it would be $3.99. I'm not too sure how I feel about it so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

QwertySanchez posted:

On the subject of blockiness and stuff, I dunno if it's been mentioned, but Gunscape's on steam. That one minecrafty looking game where you build levels creative style and then can upload and play them. it's free to play right now, I don't know if that's just because it's in early access or what. You get the wolfenstein and marathon sets free, but the others you have to pay for, you don't need to buy sets to play other people's levels that contain them though. Clicking on a random item (the Big daddy equivalent) was $0.70, but if I wanted to buy the full bathysphere/bioshock set it would be $3.99. I'm not too sure how I feel about it so far.

I really want to love this game, but the gameplay doesn't feel good. Maybe I need to tweak a bunch of settings, but it all felt 'off', as if it was Generic Late 90s Shooter #27.