Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

dumpieXL posted:

They look like grains of salt/sand, basically textbook to any pics I've seen. I'd provide pics but poo poo phone and Walmart grow lights don't mix. lol..

Heater and air pump came in today, I'll drop by petco later and see what the quarantine is all about.

Does that Petco have quarantine on a separate system? I've seen different setups in different stores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

republicant
Apr 5, 2010

Pistoph posted:

Have you done any research into how much it would cost to ship? I would love to set up a tank with a couple of the gorgeous snails you've got. Do ramshorns prefer harder water like nerites do? If so, I've got that in spades! If not, bummer. How's that one snail with the weird things coming out of him, btw? Did you ever find out what it was?

The woman I keep buying mystery snails from charges $8 flat shipping, but I used to sell things on eBay and ship with USPS Priority Mail at the beginning of this year and that seems a little bit high, even taking into consideration that eBay sellers get a discount on postage. Although, she is selling live animals and not inanimate objects so she probably has to put more effort into packaging. I would think I should be able to ship snails for around $5-$6.

As for the snail, I never saw any visible parasites and that snail has since died of old age so I'm just going with it being snail poop. All of my juvenile mysteries are pooping the same thing all over my tank. I just keep them all in the same tank to make it easier to clean. It seems to be something they grow out of, strangely enough. I don't know why their poop would change as they get older but it seems to do so.

The puffer passed away. He went from not eating to sitting on the bottom of the tank breathing hard. It was 100% not an issue with the water quality, he was just sick. I looked into it and a lot of people have had the same problem and the puffer seems to die 100% of the time. The problem is that my new CPDs came from the same tank and they seem perfectly healthy but I really hope they're not carrying anything. I don't quarantine because I normally buy all of my fish from a seller that has never had a confirmed case of parasites or disease being spread to a customer. Hoping I didn't make a grievous mistake here but so far everything seems fine health-wise.

The one vicious harlequin rasbora I had was not an isolated case unfortunately. They all got along beautifully for a couple days, but the harlequins seem to have realized that the lambchops are not the same as them, and they turned vicious and started terrorizing everything else in the tank. It's weird seeing such nasty aggression from tiny little fish. Harlequins are also jumpers, as we found out when I was removing them from the tank and one flung itself out of the bowl to fall several feet onto the carpet. Another one, possibly the same one, hit the ground when I was pouring them into their new tank, just flung itself out of the stream and on the drat floor. But despite their stupid death wishes, they're all alive and we're going to see how they do in a much less crowded tank with hummingbird tetras, kuhli loaches, a Siamese algae eater, and a dwarf gourami. Kind of disappointed that they're turning out to be such rear end in a top hat fish but we'll see how it goes.

dumpieXL
Sep 7, 2007
redacks

I'm not sure if there's any swapping or different system, they just quarantine/"no sales" the entire group of tanks that are interconnected.

Basically two half-moons at the center of the store, each side(inside/outside) having 3x groups of six connected tanks.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

republicant posted:

The woman I keep buying mystery snails from charges $8 flat shipping, but I used to sell things on eBay and ship with USPS Priority Mail at the beginning of this year and that seems a little bit high, even taking into consideration that eBay sellers get a discount on postage. Although, she is selling live animals and not inanimate objects so she probably has to put more effort into packaging. I would think I should be able to ship snails for around $5-$6.

As for the snail, I never saw any visible parasites and that snail has since died of old age so I'm just going with it being snail poop. All of my juvenile mysteries are pooping the same thing all over my tank. I just keep them all in the same tank to make it easier to clean. It seems to be something they grow out of, strangely enough. I don't know why their poop would change as they get older but it seems to do so.

The puffer passed away. He went from not eating to sitting on the bottom of the tank breathing hard. It was 100% not an issue with the water quality, he was just sick. I looked into it and a lot of people have had the same problem and the puffer seems to die 100% of the time. The problem is that my new CPDs came from the same tank and they seem perfectly healthy but I really hope they're not carrying anything. I don't quarantine because I normally buy all of my fish from a seller that has never had a confirmed case of parasites or disease being spread to a customer. Hoping I didn't make a grievous mistake here but so far everything seems fine health-wise.

The one vicious harlequin rasbora I had was not an isolated case unfortunately. They all got along beautifully for a couple days, but the harlequins seem to have realized that the lambchops are not the same as them, and they turned vicious and started terrorizing everything else in the tank. It's weird seeing such nasty aggression from tiny little fish. Harlequins are also jumpers, as we found out when I was removing them from the tank and one flung itself out of the bowl to fall several feet onto the carpet. Another one, possibly the same one, hit the ground when I was pouring them into their new tank, just flung itself out of the stream and on the drat floor. But despite their stupid death wishes, they're all alive and we're going to see how they do in a much less crowded tank with hummingbird tetras, kuhli loaches, a Siamese algae eater, and a dwarf gourami. Kind of disappointed that they're turning out to be such rear end in a top hat fish but we'll see how it goes.

I would have never expected aggression from harlequin rasboras. I meant to ask this earlier, but is there any risk of the the lampchop and harlequin rasboras breeding? That's not really a problem anymore I guess. Good job on saving them all and my sympathies on the puffer.

dumpieXL posted:

I'm not sure if there's any swapping or different system, they just quarantine/"no sales" the entire group of tanks that are interconnected.

Basically two half-moons at the center of the store, each side(inside/outside) having 3x groups of six connected tanks.

So they aren't being idiots and spreading disease throughout the department. That's good. I haven't been impressed by any of the Petco stores around here.

dumpieXL
Sep 7, 2007
redacks

Dogwood Fleet posted:

So they aren't being idiots and spreading disease throughout the department. That's good. I haven't been impressed by any of the Petco stores around here.

Yeah, it's probably the only pet* I've been to where every single tank isn't connected.
Anyways, yeah. Ich outbreak there.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

republicant posted:

I'm beginning to think more and more about selling snails. I would not expect to make any significant profit off of it, but my Japanese trapdoors breed like pond snails, my pink and blue ramshorns keep laying eggs, my 12 baby Sulawesis will breed one day and I think I'll be able to bear getting rid of them when I end up having like 50 of them, and my fleet of 13 juvenile mystery snails are very rapidly reaching breeding age and are going to make hundreds of babies. My boyfriend gave me 3 Columbian ramshorns, which are actually a type of apple snail and which I'd never seen before, and I would love for them to breed. And I would even like to set up a brackish tank and dabble in breeding nerites and Faunus ater/devil snails. Basically I would like to find people who are willing to cover the shipping costs in return for a crap load of snails, so that I can experiment with genetics and breed snails for fun without having to make room for hundreds of them. Goals.

I'm in. I love your snails.

Edit: it got down to 35 last night. Water temp in the pond was 37. The danios were STILL ALIVE!! I finally caught them and they are acclimating to the indoor tank.

These things are loving tanks for tropical fish.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 22, 2015

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Buzzkill here but be careful sending or receiving snails; some are illegal in various states.

And you know, here is the best theme of fishkeeping. "Confidence. The feeling you have before fully understanding the situation."

The past week I have lost about 20-35 fish.

What I had was a set of three 20 gallon tanks, filled with various bristlenose plecos, longfin, albinos, etc. Juvies and a breeding trio, and some leleupi juvies. And a 37 gallon with calvus. I had on order a 55 gallon. Idea was to put the leleupi and calvus in the 55, put the breeding pleco trio in the 37, and toss only longfins into a remaining 20 long.

I did all this a little over a week ago. All the 37's water was put into the 55. All of the filters were kept wet and all the sand was reused. Calvus and leleupi, and 3 plecos in the 55. The rest as above.

These were all established tanks of at least a year or more. All got water changes once a week minimum, sometimes twice. With cooler months I can do more.

I had a crazy weekend and a horrible Monday but it was Sunday I found one of the 3 plecos in the calvus tank was dead. Okay, 1 male dead, the pair alive, maybe he died from the stress. Then Monday the other male died. I moved the female fast to another tank, and by Tuesday morning she was dead. My 20 gallon long of longfin black bristlenose? All dead. Some had red streaks on them, some had torn fins. Then in the 37, red bloody streaks. I did a 50% water change (100% on the 20 long) and Primed the poo poo out of them all.

Wednesday the small black juvies and the female of the trio in the 37 were dead. Water change again on all the tanks affected. In the 20 long I had only red cherry shrimp. In fact all the loving shrimp seem fine.

Thursday the other female dies in the 37. I do a small water change and decide to let the water chill. More Prime. The last female died.

Today the male is dead. Bloody streaks, frayed fins.

In the 20 long, desperate to see if there was something IN the water doing this, I threw in 6-7 inch long blue eyed bristlenose fry. So far they seem fine. The shrimp seem fine.

I lost every single loving pleco otherwise in the tank moves.

And then the leleupi. Found one dead a few days ago. Okay, cichlids fight, no big deal. And then another. I found three survivors, two with gray pale skin on their heads like they rammed into rocks hard. All the leleupi were dead by this morning.

But the calvus. The loving canary in every coal mine are fine.

So here's the theory I got after dumping 30 fish in the trash.

The 37 mini-cycled. The 20 long had a domino effect: 1 longfin died, which upset the rest, which made another die, then another, and then all dead. The 37 suffered through the cycle somehow (or the fish caught a bacterial infection and died from it in a few days) despite the Prime. The plecos in with the calvus, and the leleupi with the calvus, were killed by the calvus.

Or there was a bacterial infection that caught only the plecos. The plecos dying in the 37 kicked the yellow lab fry in ammonia spikes.

So now I have a 55 with 5 calvus juvies and snails. I have a 20 long with a few shrimp and blue eyed fry. I have a 29 I am paranoid about with some julies and my pair of blue-eyed bristlenose that weren't moved at all. The 37 has no plecos, only shrimp, and a few yellow lab fry that seem to be fading and the shrimp pick them clean.

This is why I try to do two tanks of any species: I have a tank of yellow labs and fry in various floaters. I have blue-eyed bristlenose fry and juvies and some adults. And I always try to keep an extra pair or so in another tank, so in case I have a wipeout like above, I don't have to start completely from inch-long fry. That said I don't have a single loving brown bristlenose left, save for some blue-eyed hets. I had a breeding trio and lost all the fry plus the parents in this.

Confidence. The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Alright I got the second Aqueon quiet flow 30 running. So one on each side. It's 90 gallons worth of filtration for a 40 gallon tank. Should be adequate. I did a water test today and nitrites and nitrate are at 0, ammonia spiked a bit today but I think it has more to do with some of the pond water coming into the tank with the last danios. I will check again tomorrow.

Bad side. My Gh and kh are off the loving charts. I know my water is hard so I tested just tap water. Also off the loving charts. I guess the water change I do tomorrow will require me to go get some RO water from the store to do the change, I don't really feel like carrying 15-20 gallons of water to the truck but what can you do.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
So uhh... Anyone in the San Antonio, TX area want some Red Wag Platy fry?

My little 10g is exploding in population. There are now at least 4 different batches of fry from 3/4in. to itty bitty 1/4in. :o:

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

And you know, here is the best theme of fishkeeping. "Confidence. The feeling you have before fully understanding the situation."

The past week I have lost about 20-35 fish.

God, what an awful nightmare cascade :( saying "I'm so sorry for your loss" doesn't really cover it. How do you ever get your confidence back after a massive blow like that?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Prescription Combs posted:

So uhh... Anyone in the San Antonio, TX area want some Red Wag Platy fry?

My little 10g is exploding in population. There are now at least 4 different batches of fry from 3/4in. to itty bitty 1/4in. :o:

I'm in San Antonio. What's are their requirements?

Edit: my giant danios decided to make a bunch of them and I am up to over a dozen. I need to, get rid of some. You want to trade some platys for some danios?

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Nov 23, 2015

dumpieXL
Sep 7, 2007
redacks
sorry, any air sponge filter recommendations?

dumpieXL fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Nov 23, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jesus Cowslips thats awful.

As for what you do after, try think of it as a whole bunch of free space in the tanks? :v:

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

One of my two remaining beacon tetras has developed a slight lean today, not quite a tail stand but definitely the start of something sinister. I didn't water change as much last week as I wanted to, so I'm starting to suspect in that tank at least, they are my indicator that I have hosed up and I'm not on top of my water changes. Sorry fish! I hope I can catch up in time to save you!

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Alright I got the second Aqueon quiet flow 30 running. So one on each side. It's 90 gallons worth of filtration for a 40 gallon tank. Should be adequate. I did a water test today and nitrites and nitrate are at 0, ammonia spiked a bit today but I think it has more to do with some of the pond water coming into the tank with the last danios. I will check again tomorrow.

Bad side. My Gh and kh are off the loving charts. I know my water is hard so I tested just tap water. Also off the loving charts. I guess the water change I do tomorrow will require me to go get some RO water from the store to do the change, I don't really feel like carrying 15-20 gallons of water to the truck but what can you do.

If you want to soften your water up with RO, make sure you do it slowly. This will mean is mixing tap water with RO when you do your water changes, which is kind of a pain. You can kill fish with osmotic shock pretty easily by changing your hardness rapidly. Its also possible to have pH swings since you will be reducing your buffer. Since you said your hardness is "off the charts" does that mean your using test strips? I recommend getting the drop kit if you want to fiddle with your hardness so you can measure it accurately and make sure you don't drop too fast.

Honestly though, unless you want to keep really sensitive fish I wouldn't mess with it. Without a RO filter at home you're dependent on buying water from the store to do water changes every time. Fish and plants prefer consistency more than their "ideal" conditions and relying on RO makes it harder to do that in the longer term. In my last apartment I had very hard water (>20 dKH) and I kept fish, plants and inverts in it just fine.

old-timey newspaper gal fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Nov 23, 2015

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

dumpieXL posted:

sorry, any air sponge filter recommendations?

I prefer ones without the tubes, IE the airline attaches right to the piece nude, so to speak. Fry have this insane ability to squeeze down a sponge filter plastic tube, get stuck, and die. Removing them is no fun.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
Man I've somehow managed to get hydra in one of my tanks. I think it probably hitched a ride on some live plants. Luckily it only seems to be in one tank out of seven and there are no fry or shrimp in this tank anyway. I went to Petsmart and stockpiled some fenbendazole dog dewormer because that seems to be the recommended treatment. Also bought 4 harlequin rasboras while I was there, I hope that increasing the size of the school will bring some of the aggression down. But really hoping this hydra treatment works. If they end up getting spread to our shrimp tank filled with baby shrimp then that will be really bad.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wait uh, I hope you didnt put that stuff in yet?! I think all inverts have trouble with that stuff!

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
From what I've read it seems to be safe for everything except hydra as long as you measure it very carefully and don't overdose it. I haven't treated the tank yet, I'm going to evacuate my favorite fish first just in case, as well as some random blue ramshorns in the tank. The recommended dosage is 1/10 of a packet for a 10 gallon tank, so I'm going to measure out 200 ml of water, pour a packet in and mix it up really well, and use a syringe to withdraw exactly 20 ml. The medicine probably won't be effective for much longer after it's mixed in water so I'll have to throw the leftover solution away, but I have 12 packets anyway.

republicant fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Nov 23, 2015

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

RIP second koi angel... Still clueless what happened to them.

Not Your Senorita
May 25, 2007

Don't you recognize me? It's-a me, Mario!
Nap Ghost
Cowslips, that really sucks :( Whatever got your fish must have been similar to what wiped out half my tank last year since all of my fish had the same symptoms. The ones that got visibly sick all died within a day or two despite medication while those that survived never showed any signs of illness.

Also, sorry about your angels, ShaneB. If you saw inflammation and red streaks on its body and fins, it sounds like the end stages of a bacterial infection spreading through its body and blood stream. Better keep an eye on your other fish to make sure it doesn't spread to them as well since, depending on the type of bacteria, it can be really contagious.

Republicant, I'm also in for snails! I love them and want more in my tank, especially nerites. I'll take anything interesting, though. Mystery snails are my favorite, but I don't have a large enough tank to keep them since the fish in my 36 gallon constantly pick at them.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Not Your Senorita posted:

Also, sorry about your angels, ShaneB. If you saw inflammation and red streaks on its body and fins, it sounds like the end stages of a bacterial infection spreading through its body and blood stream. Better keep an eye on your other fish to make sure it doesn't spread to them as well since, depending on the type of bacteria, it can be really contagious.

How can I treat the tank for bacterial infection successfully?

Not Your Senorita
May 25, 2007

Don't you recognize me? It's-a me, Mario!
Nap Ghost
You'd basically have to pull every fish and medicate them in a separate tank to do it without destroying your tank's cycle and potentially harming the plants. It may not spread beyond those specific fish if they had it before you got them so it might be best to wait and see how the rest do first, but my usual go-to for mystery bacterial infections is a combination of Kanamycin and Furan 2. It's a strong combo that covers almost anything bacterial, and fish seem to tolerate it well.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Not Your Senorita posted:

You'd basically have to pull every fish and medicate them in a separate tank to do it without destroying your tank's cycle and potentially harming the plants. It may not spread beyond those specific fish if they had it before you got them so it might be best to wait and see how the rest do first, but my usual go-to for mystery bacterial infections is a combination of Kanamycin and Furan 2. It's a strong combo that covers almost anything bacterial, and fish seem to tolerate it well.

Thank goodness I have the QT filter seeded up. Fingers crossed I don't see anything spread. It's going to be harder to see in the opaque fish like the cory cats...

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I had hydra in my sand tank when I first set it up, and there were quite a few since I used plants that I'd brought in from the pond outside. I wasn't super bothered by the hydra at that time since there were only big penguin tetra in that tank. I'd carefully knocked off all the snails from the plants as I was thinking MTS only for that tank, but when the glass started getting grubby I threw a couple of (red and brown) ramshorns in and it wasn't too long before I realised all the hydra were gone too - I think my ramshorns must have eaten them. I've never treated that tank but I haven't seen a hydra for ages and I've not noticed any guppy fry losses in that tank. I did have some hydra in the shrimp tank too but I never saw them take a shrimplet (too big), only copepods, and since there are ramshorns in there now as well, I haven't seen a hydra for months. Apparently Spixi snails eat hydra as well? I have not seen them available in Australia so I was not able to test that theory, according to some Spixi snails are predatory and will eat a lot of things you might not want them to along with the hydras. Anyway I can definitely add to the anecdotes of ramshorns possibly eating hydras, I really don't know where else they would have gone.

You may not need to worry about fenbendazole being bad for your fish, it's one of the recommended treatments for camallanus worms. It might wreck your planaria population too and maybe gill flukes if there are any. If I recall, that class of medication does dope the fish out and make them really sluggish but they do recover once it wears off.

But yeah, if you have any snails in where your hydra are, rescue them before you dose! Or at least, see if you can spot any hydra/snail interactions, it'd be great to get a visual confirmation whether some snails do eat hydra! Perhaps your snails are too doted on and well fed to stoop so low as to eat a hydra?

Hot Jam posted:

This will mean is mixing tap water with RO when you do your water changes, which is kind of a pain.

This isn't necessarily the case, the guy who sold me my RO unit and put it together keeps discus, so he builds a variant for fishkeepers which has a mixer tap built in to the unit between the filter modules and the membrane module. It's got an inline TDS meter so you can dial up the exact mix you want of RO and filtered/carboned dechlorinated tap water (this doubles for making RO drinking water taste less lovely). It just depends on what RO unit you get, and where you get it installed as to how much of a nuisance it is. For me, the nuisance is that I had to install the RO unit in the laundry but my fish tanks are in the kitchen so I have to trek a big water can through the house each time I want to water change a tank.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I'm in San Antonio. What's are their requirements?

Edit: my giant danios decided to make a bunch of them and I am up to over a dozen. I need to, get rid of some. You want to trade some platys for some danios?

I would need a bigger tank to trade. :( Already overstocked with the new fry that keep getting born. Platys are super easy to care for probably much the same as danios.

There's a small aquarium shop on north side 281 between 410 and 1604 that might take fish for some store credit but I haven't called them yet to see.

Prescription Combs fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 23, 2015

Fajita Fiesta
Dec 15, 2013
I bought some RO water from my LFS yesterday, and tested it with the API pH test kit today, and it keeps coming up as blue (ph 7.8+). Am I going crazy or isn't RO water supposed to be acidic not super alkali. Did they sell me not RO water or am I loving something up here?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Fajita Fiesta posted:

I bought some RO water from my LFS yesterday, and tested it with the API pH test kit today, and it keeps coming up as blue (ph 7.8+). Am I going crazy or isn't RO water supposed to be acidic not super alkali. Did they sell me not RO water or am I loving something up here?

Ro or rodi? I know rodi water, on account of having no buffering abilities, is essentially impossible to get an accurate ph reading on. Not sure if the same applies to RO (assuming we aren't using different terms for the same water).

Fajita Fiesta
Dec 15, 2013

Slugworth posted:

Ro or rodi? I know rodi water, on account of having no buffering abilities, is essentially impossible to get an accurate ph reading on. Not sure if the same applies to RO (assuming we aren't using different terms for the same water).

I know RO/DI water can give wacky results but hadn't heard the same about just RO water which is what I wanted/hopefully purchased.

I'm bad at chemistry :(

Fajita Fiesta fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 23, 2015

republicant
Apr 5, 2010

Stoca Zola posted:

You may not need to worry about fenbendazole being bad for your fish, it's one of the recommended treatments for camallanus worms. It might wreck your planaria population too and maybe gill flukes if there are any. If I recall, that class of medication does dope the fish out and make them really sluggish but they do recover once it wears off.

The only thing I'm not sure about is whether or not to remove the filters/Purigen. This is where my love of filtration overkill becomes a pain in the rear end because I have four filters in a 10 gallon tank. Two air-powered: one sponge, one of the ones I filled with my own media, then a Tetra Whisper power filter and one of those Cascade power filters with the spray bar, both power filters with Purigen in them. I guess at the very least I should remove the Purigen so it doesn't just take the medicine out of the water, and leave the filters themselves so any hydra inside them can die.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

It'd be the same kind of thing as levamisole I am guessing, remove charcoal and resins, turn off UV steriliser/clarifier and it doesn't hurt the filter bacteria at all. I don't recall if you are supposed to add extra aeration but your sponge filters would be disturbing the surface with their bubbles well enough most likely.

With regards to the pH of RO water, the longer you leave it stand the more the pH drops. There is possibly a tiny bit of buffering left in it since RO doesn't give you 100% h2o, just very close to it; you'd probably find that doing a KH test a single drop would be enough to get the colour change and overwhelm whatever buffering is left. My RO unit gets down to 4 parts per million left of something, (total dissolved solids) who knows what since that is such a small amount it doesn't register. You can tell the membrane needs replacing when this starts to creep up. The way it works is the RO membrane removes a percentage of whatever is in the source water, so if your source water has 1000 parts per million of crud in it your end result might still have 100ppm and that's just the best the membrane can do.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
I've read that this chemical is degraded by light and oxygen so I'm going to turn off the fluorescent light and the air pump. Since there will be less oxygen being added to the water I'm going to turn the heat down so that the tank will be around 79° F instead of 80-81° F like it usually is. The betta breathes air anyway and some of the snails have breathing tubes and are capable of breathing atmospheric air so it should be fine. I've removed all the Purigen and will keep the filters running like normal without it. And I'll take this time to go ahead and regenerate the Purigen since it's looking a bit brown.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
drat I was treating the tank and discovered a hydra growing on the back of my black devil snail. Not a moment too soon, I guess.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Be careful with the purigen recharge.

I recommend after the treatment to let it soak in clean water and then test for chlorine after it soaks a bit.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
I have chlorine test strips on hand so will do.

First morning after the fenbendazole treatment, all the hydra are shriveled up and dead and all the tank residents seem to be fine. I still have 11 packets of the stuff that I'm going to store in case I have to use it in the future. Going to call this a tentative success.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
Time for me to tank shame!

I went to the doctors this morning, and they had returned the fish tank that had been gone since before I had started getting back into this. As best as I could remember and gather from a crap photo I took from the side (the diamond tetras are a proxy for silver tetras, and there is two fish I couldn't identify at the time and didn't get a photo of), this is the stock of said tank: http://bit.ly/1jigOje

I am assuming it is 90 gallons as it was certainly not 6 feet wide and I don't think less than 5, and they are massively overfeeding (When they were fed the entire surface of the water was covered in flake). I'm not certain about the cichlid, as I am very unfamiliar with them, but there were on the smaller side (~2.5 inches). I feel bad but how would you even mention something like this without coming across as a tremendous rear end in a top hat?

Zandorv
Nov 22, 2011

Hello, all. I've got a 30 gallon tank currently stocked with 10 cherry barbs, 5 kuhli loaches, 1 angelfish, and 1 albino bristlenose pleco. I just recently got it fully stocked (the loaches and the pleco have been in there for a while but most of the cherry barbs are new, as is the angelfish), but I was thinking of maybe putting some additional kuhli loaches in there (at least 1 more) because they seem just a little shy right now. How many more do you guys think I could get away with? I know the tank is fairly close to fully stocked and I don't want to overdo it.

I've got a Tetra Whisper 60 in there because I've heard most filters operate at 40-60% capacity and getting a filter designed for a tank bigger than what you have is better, and I do have a bubbler though I'm dubious as to whether or not that's beneficial for the fish. I do water changes of about 30% weekly. I have a large piece of driftwood for the pleco and a large java fern but no other plants, although I'd sort of like to get a grass for the tank. My angelfish is pretty timid and hasn't shown any aggression whatsoever (he actually seems to be sort of avoiding the other fish), but he's also pretty small right now and he's new to the tank.

I was also thinking of getting a blue apple snail because I like the patterns they make on the sand there's a fair amount of dead plant matter because the Java fern grew so big. Is that a bad idea since I've already got so many bottom feeders?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I've lost 2 of my angels and in the wake of the loss I'm wondering what to (eventually) replace them with. I was kind of surprised to find that I don't actually find the angels that interesting. They are beautiful, but don't move very much and when they do it's pretty slow. I currently have a lot of activity in the low and mid parts of the tank, and my 2 blue angels kind of hang out in the left/upper region of the tank.

7 cory cats
2 bolivian rams
4 female/1 male swordtail
2 blue angels

in a 55 gallon.

Any suggestions on a peaceful community fish to add some color and activity?

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Zandorv posted:

Hello, all. I've got a 30 gallon tank currently stocked with 10 cherry barbs, 5 kuhli loaches, 1 angelfish, and 1 albino bristlenose pleco. I just recently got it fully stocked (the loaches and the pleco have been in there for a while but most of the cherry barbs are new, as is the angelfish), but I was thinking of maybe putting some additional kuhli loaches in there (at least 1 more) because they seem just a little shy right now. How many more do you guys think I could get away with? I know the tank is fairly close to fully stocked and I don't want to overdo it.

Looking at aqadvisor, you're probably fine adding even 5 more if you wanted. It will yell at you about filtration capacity but that tool is very conservative about filtration (it inherently assumes that a filter can handle 65% of it's rated value).

quote:

I've got a Tetra Whisper 60 in there because I've heard most filters operate at 40-60% capacity and getting a filter designed for a tank bigger than what you have is better, and I do have a bubbler though I'm dubious as to whether or not that's beneficial for the fish. I do water changes of about 30% weekly. I have a large piece of driftwood for the pleco and a large java fern but no other plants, although I'd sort of like to get a grass for the tank. My angelfish is pretty timid and hasn't shown any aggression whatsoever (he actually seems to be sort of avoiding the other fish), but he's also pretty small right now and he's new to the tank.

A bubbler is probably not necessary given your filter, but there is no harm in running it anyways. A more important thing would be to regularly check levels such as ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, kh and gh to ensure they're OK (apologies if you already are). Assuming you don't have everything, the API master kit is a good starting place, but it does not have a kh or gh test. Your angelfish can grow up to 6" long and 12" high, but if it's chill right now by the time it is bigger it will be fine with its tank mates, although I have read that sometimes they can be aggressive.

quote:

I was also thinking of getting a blue apple snail because I like the patterns they make on the sand there's a fair amount of dead plant matter because the Java fern grew so big. Is that a bad idea since I've already got so many bottom feeders?

It'll roam the sides of your tank too, and if theres lots of dead plant it they will eat that preferentially (I am not aware of blue varieties of apple snail species of the "eat anything including live plants" sort). Until you get them, if there is such vegetation in your tank, try your best to get it out of there as decaying plant matter will produce ammonia, which while fine in the short term (your bacteria will eat that up fine), will lead to increased nitrate concentration which might not be being managed by your water changes. This is especially a potential problem if you're not monitoring nitrates regularly, as prolonged exposure to high nitrate levels can be harmful to your fish. It depends on the tank though, if you have loads of other plants they may very well be consuming enough of the ammonia/nitrite/nitrates being produced.

ShaneB posted:

Any suggestions on a peaceful community fish to add some color and activity?

Guppies? You'd be able to add them in small numbers, they're extremely colourful and generally pretty active in my experience, and given females to chase males will generally not bother other fish (one of my males apparently believe he is half Danio and will shoal with them).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
In bad news I splashed tank water in my eyes yesterday during the hydra treatment and woke up this morning with a very sore, irritated eye. Took a massive amoxicillin tablet and a nap and woke up with it feeling much better, still going to keep taking the full course of antibiotics of course. I guess it wouldn't hurt to get a pair of cheap safety goggles to wear when I'm doing things more in-depth than throwing some food in the tank. I've looked at tank water under a microscope before and seen the strange little critters so I'm just trying not to think about that.

We've kind of taken a leap of faith and moved the entire group of emerald dwarf rasboras into... the dwarf puffer tank. Puffers are ignoring them and doing their own thing, emeralds are traveling as a massive school and circling around the tank. There actually seems to be more activity in the old tank with them gone, the CPDs and strawberry rasboras are venturing around the tank now instead of just sitting on the bottom with the emeralds 24/7. Going to watch for puffer aggression but hopefully this will work out.

republicant fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 24, 2015