Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I hope everyone is going to enjoy Internet Meme jokes that have been lovingly put into the English Translation of XCX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheeseN1P
May 28, 2010

Sometimes you just gotta shake the shy ones loose.

Calaveron posted:

I'm actually surprised I haven't ran into any spoilers or anything. I mean, the game's been out since forever in Japan hasn't it?

Ive just been keeping blinders on and a head down, plus living under a rock helps.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Taint Reaper posted:

I hope everyone is going to enjoy Internet Meme jokes that have been lovingly put into the English Translation of XCX.

I will and thank you

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Inflammatory posted:

how is that terrible

I mean some of its pretty funny, but it's obvious this is not the intended translation. This is in no way a professionally done job. I don't mind it but from a quality perspective it's really bad.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

I said come in! posted:

I mean some of its pretty funny, but it's obvious this is not the intended translation. This is in no way a professionally done job. I don't mind it but from a quality perspective it's really bad.

okay what? what is the intended translation, and who is it intended by?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I think the translation also has issues of not properly explaining the battle system definitions. So it will probably wind up confusing people when it comes to pulling off abilities that enemies are specifically weak to.

There also been a few issues where quest objective descriptions are poo poo and you're going to be wandering around lost.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 23, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

What do you mean by 'intended translation?" If you mean it's not a literal translation that is correct but a literal translation is not a good translation. If you mean it isn't identical to the Japanese version then that is a larger argument but it also applies to Xenoblade Chronicles which people seemed to enjoy and was praised so I don't think it's going to actually be considered a terrible translation.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Inflammatory posted:

okay what? what is the intended translation, and who is it intended by?

Do you think asscave was a word the writers intended to be in the game?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

This is a meaningless discussion without examples, and I'm hesitant to take complaints at their word since people have been throwing fits over changes as harmless as Doll to Skell.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I said come in! posted:

If they didn't, they should have.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Motto posted:

This is a meaningless discussion without examples, and I'm hesitant to take complaints at their word since people have been throwing fits over changes as harmless as Doll to Skell.

Okay this is true, there are people in this thread that wanted the 13 year old character to be naked.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

I said come in! posted:

I mean some Japanese writers ask American localizers to make games as foul as possible, so it's not unheard of

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I said come in! posted:

The original line was probably some alien mangling of a Japanese insult, so in a sense, yes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

They probably didn't intend asscave specifically but it's very possible that line is supposed to be funny or silly in the Japanese version.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Lynlee is voiced by Cassandra Lee Morris, so the localization is good

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
What part of localization do you not get, especially when 8-4 has experience with getting the direct word from the writers on what's approved? Is this literally just about asscave?

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

I said come in! posted:

no, it was probably a japanese word, which would've been weird in the english version of a game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Baal posted:

I mean some Japanese writers ask American localizers to make games as foul as possible, so it's not unheard of

There is that really bad anime that when it was being translated to english, the writers asked the voice actors to just roll with it and make up dialog on the spot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxJ4VWoeOzs

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

What do you mean by 'intended translation?" If you mean it's not a literal translation that is correct but a literal translation is not a good translation. If you mean it isn't identical to the Japanese version then that is a larger argument but it also applies to Xenoblade Chronicles which people seemed to enjoy and was praised so I don't think it's going to actually be considered a terrible translation.

The stuff that people have been complaining about is mostly the tutortials not really explaining everything, the battle help menus being equally unhelpful, and very bad quest text that gives confusing directions.

Like a prime example is they will tell you to go to a cave location to start the next quest phase. Only when you get there you see the marker on your map but nothing happens. The reason is the translation doesn't tell you that it's beneath you and you need to find a different(yet identical looking) cave entrance located 3 miles away and follow the tunnel(which is the only entrance and exit) until you get to the same location only now you are properly beneath it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

The Taint Reaper posted:

The stuff that people have been complaining about is mostly the tutortials not really explaining everything, the battle help menus being equally unhelpful, and very bad quest text that gives confusing directions.

Like a prime example is they will tell you to go to a cave location to start the next quest phase. Only when you get there you see the marker on your map but nothing happens. The reason is the translation doesn't tell you that it's beneath you and you need to find a different(yet identical looking) cave entrance located 3 miles away and follow the tunnel(which is the only entrance and exit) until you get to the same location only now you are properly beneath it.

Thankfully I've played enough RPGs with awful quest markers to be able to figure this out on my own, but I can see how someone would be very confused by this.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tae posted:

What part of localization do you not get, especially when 8-4 has experience with getting the direct word from the writers on what's approved? Is this literally just about asscave?

8-4 is going this? Doesn't that pretty much guarantee a good localization?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

That sounds like a map/quest design problem that would also be an issue in the original Japanese, not specifically a translation problem.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Andrast posted:

There are certain groups online that are very angry at 8-4 for nigh-incomprehensible reasons.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

I said come in! posted:

Thankfully I've played enough RPGs with awful quest markers to be able to figure this out on my own, but I can see how someone would be very confused by this.

Xenoblades areas are huge so it's to the point where you start wondering if the quest is bugged like Skyrim's because you really can't be vague or else you will lose hours trying to find a specific location if it's not vusally distinct enough.

Supercar Gautier posted:

That sounds like a map/quest design problem that would also be an issue in the original Japanese, not specifically a translation problem.

It is a translation problem, the japanese text was written in a far more descriptive fashion for many quests.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

I said come in! posted:

There is that really bad anime that when it was being translated to english, the writers asked the voice actors to just roll with it and make up dialog on the spot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxJ4VWoeOzs

The Ghost Stories dub is a work of art

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Motto posted:

There are certain groups online that are very angry at 8-4 for nigh-incomprehensible reasons.

Weabs were super pissed when Olivia from Fire Emblem Awakening was too assertive compared to her japanese version.

If you know who Olivia is, that is absurd to think about.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

I said come in! posted:

Probably! Wouldn't put it past a japanese writer to make an alien accidentally do a butt pun in their introduction. Japan loving loves puns and butts.

Andrast posted:

gently caress yeah it does. Remember that time they did Revengeance and the game's director made the japanese script get changed to better match the localization instead.

Baal posted:

The Ghost Stories dub is a work of art

Getting Salem in there was masterful.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tae posted:

Weabs were super pissed when Olivia from Fire Emblem Awakening was too assertive compared to her japanese version.

If you know who Olivia is, that is absurd to think about.

How do you make someone less assertive than that?

Also, the awakening localization was fantastic.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

gently caress yeah it does. Remember that time they did Revengeance and the game's director made the japanese script get changed to better match the localization instead.

More games should have TMNT ninja rap references

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Andrast posted:

More games should have TMNT ninja rap references

That's impossible, Konami is just making pachinkos now.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Andrast posted:

How do you make someone less assertive than that?

Do not try to reason with weaboos that make babel translations of japanese games, then get angry when those dirty gaijins change it.

Also, when the context of asscave is

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Alien learns English by reading some databanks when Neo L.A. crashed on the planet, it all goes fairly well but he mixes up some words, such as calling some jerks asscaves instead of assholes.

I cannot take anything a person says seriously when they're dying on the hill against that translation.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
asscave is redundant

an rear end is technically a cave, but it is a cave made of flesh.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
so the correct translation is fleshcave

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Did Xenoblade Chronicles have any asscaves? It would have made much more sense in that setting.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Vitamin P posted:

Did Xenoblade Chronicles have any asscaves? It would have made much more sense in that setting.

It has an assswamp, which is much cooler

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

there are caves in the rear end swamp, and let's not forget that you do indeed enter the Bionis through a hole in the rear end swamp

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Tae posted:

Do not try to reason with weaboos that make babel translations of japanese games, then get angry when those dirty gaijins change it.

I will never understand this. Do people get all weird when translators change stuff from, say, French or German? It just seems to be a Japanese > English thing.

Japanese is just a language, people.

If the Awakening folks are doing Xenoblade X then I am so loving sold. Awakening's localization was amazing.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I imagine there are arguments just as pedantic on foreign website.

e: And despite the image of prestige, professionals and academics can be pretty weird, so I imagine if you read up on translation on foreign lit. you'd find arguments hilariously similar to ours.

Motto fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 24, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

I will never understand this. Do people get all weird when translators change stuff from, say, French or German? It just seems to be a Japanese > English thing.

Absolutely. Hell, I've still got a family member who is unreasonably annoyed that they changed Philosopher's Stone to Sorcerer's Stone for Harry Potter and that's English to English.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Absolutely. Hell, I've still got a family member who is unreasonably annoyed that they changed Philosopher's Stone to Sorcerer's Stone for Harry Potter and that's English to English.

Didn't the first HP book as a whole have some Americanization of British English that was dropped afterwards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

ImpAtom posted:

Didn't they change it because they were afraid Americans would see "Philosopher" on the title and think it was too terrifying for children?

• Locked thread