Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Hope he likes living in vallejo.

You guys kinda get hosed on salary. Under $60k on a profession in an expensive city with a masters degree. No wonder people keep going to law school (don't go to law school). Does it ramp up with a CPA or something?

nm fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Nov 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

nm posted:

Does it ramp up with a CPA or something?

You're not making particularly good money unless you're a partner or in private industry.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

nm posted:

You guys kinda get hosed on salary. Under $60k on a profession in an expensive city with a masters degree. No wonder people keep going to law school (don't go to law school). Does it ramp up with a CPA or something?

Public accounting is probably the most reliable way to brute force your way into the middle class. You don't make great money at first but it's decent and the opportunities after putting in 3-6 years can be very good, assuming you aren't a crazy person and decide to go partner.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

MY GIRLFRIEND has been exploring her options for tax jobs in our area and it's funny how brainwashed the big 4 has made her. She wasn't sure if the position she had an office visit for today was real because it's a small firm that does the exact tax stuff she's looking to do, but with an emphasis on "this is just a job - we show up on time and leave at 5 to go live our actual lives" versus the big 4's"the work will end after the filing deadline for the heat death of the universe."

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

nm posted:

To be fair this only applies if you get a job at a big law firm making like $160K and grind out the hours accordingly. Most of my lawyer friends, save for the 1 who did get a big law job and has like $200K in debt, make about what I do or less as a CPA with about 6 years of federal government experience. That said, Big 4 looks great on a resume and once you get to the manager level you'll likely be making 6 figures, with senior manager and higher closer to 200 than 100 after bonus from what I have seen. Consider the first 3-4 years of a Big 4 career like law school only instead they pay you and it makes more sense.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Good Citizen posted:

Oh god don't start in SF. But yeah they're in the top tier of pay so probably a little more than 57k first year with 3k signing bonus and around 5k for finishing the CPA in the first year

Just curious, what is Portland, Oregon?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

SiGmA_X posted:

Just curious, what is Portland, Oregon?

Its not in the highest pay tier and not such a huge office that their pay rate is discussed much but I'm fairly certain they're second tier and ~53k.

E: if you work for a firm that has a stratified out-of-town meal budget listing it's usually easy to approximate a city's cost of living tier from their meal budget, but some cities that are more or less in need of people will move it up or down a little.

Good Citizen fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Nov 14, 2015

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Has anyone here actually gone the community college route to get their 150 credit hours, or did everyone go for an MBA or masters in something else?

I meet all the accounting/business course prerequisites, and I'm currently studying for the CPA now, looking ahead to finishing. (oh god I can't wait)

I'll be 32 by the time I finish, so I'd like to hurry up and get the last 30 credits out of the way to become licensed. The shortest MBA program I've seen is Suffolk's accelerated MBA for CPAs, that I could roll right into without taking the GMAT- I believe that's full time and $60,000 or so.

Alternatively, for $5,000, and the same amount of time, I could take one of these certificate programs:

http://www.northshore.edu/academics/programs/ckc/requirements

http://www.northshore.edu/academics/programs/cec/requirements

I think that knowledge would actually be more useful than the MBA program- just without a fancy piece of paper at the end. Ultimately, I'd like to be somewhere between accounting and computer science, as I'm not a natural in either. CISM, CISA, etc.

Which one looks more useful in an accounting role? Or should I reconsider the MBA/MS route?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Moneyball posted:

Has anyone here actually gone the community college route to get their 150 credit hours, or did everyone go for an MBA or masters in something else?

I meet all the accounting/business course prerequisites, and I'm currently studying for the CPA now, looking ahead to finishing. (oh god I can't wait)

I'll be 32 by the time I finish, so I'd like to hurry up and get the last 30 credits out of the way to become licensed. The shortest MBA program I've seen is Suffolk's accelerated MBA for CPAs, that I could roll right into without taking the GMAT- I believe that's full time and $60,000 or so.

Alternatively, for $5,000, and the same amount of time, I could take one of these certificate programs:

I think that knowledge would actually be more useful than the MBA program- just without a fancy piece of paper at the end. Ultimately, I'd like to be somewhere between accounting and computer science, as I'm not a natural in either. CISM, CISA, etc.

Which one looks more useful in an accounting role? Or should I reconsider the MBA/MS route?

Do you have a job in mind that would make $60K in debt worth it? Because I'm having a hard time thinking of one for a newly minted CPA.

I was short 9 hours and just took them at a community college for about $700. It may also depend on your state but in NC I already had all my accounting specific requirements and just needed the hours. It sounds like that's your case so my advice would be to keep it cheap and easy and try to get work experience vs an expensive degree.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Dislike button posted:

Do you have a job in mind that would make $60K in debt worth it? Because I'm having a hard time thinking of one for a newly minted CPA.

Nope! It's just that if I got an MBA, I'd like to go to an alright school. I won't be getting in to an ultra expensive top 10 program, but I don't want to go as cheap as possible.

I still might go later in my career, but I'd prefer an employer pay for it, or really know that it's going to be worth it.

e: So which of those looks better?

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 24, 2015

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Of those 2 programs the networking one seems more useful based on jobs I've seen. The applications one would be nice for the Visual Basic and access stuff since if you can do fancy poo poo in excel your basically a god at a lot of places. But, you can learn that on your own time. You have the right idea with the CISM or CISA I think.

I would be wary about paying that much for an MBA especially one not at a top school where you can likely get a job in finance or another high paying field. Like you said, get reimbursed for it or use it to segue into another field/employer down the road.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Moneyball posted:

I did. More so because I took a bunch of CS classes in highschool and got an Associates in Automotive Science (I think that's the name? It only required 12-16cr of non-automotive classes). I believe I only had to take 2-3 extra accounting classes to meet my 225cr (term vs semester) and accounting course load requirement. I have not yet passed my CPA exams, I am just starting to study.

As an accountant, having a semi-technical background has been super, super useful. I plan to [re]learn more SQL (I was drat good 11-14yrs ago, but I stopped doing it and now I only do minor edits and write VBA macros and stuff) once I am done with my CPA. Understanding a relational database has been really useful in a number of various projects I have gotten myself roped into, but I am sure that varies from company to company. It has always been a great asset to my moms accounting/finance consulting business.

In short, as long as you have the state-required accounting courses completed, I would go take cheaper classes that will help you in some aspect of your field to get to your credit count.

Turd Nelson
Nov 21, 2008
I took FAR back in August and failed with a 66. The lesson from that was to not study for an exam while planning a wedding. I retook FAR in October and I just found out I passed with an 83! I cannot describe how happy I am to never have to look at that book again. I'm taking my last test, Audit, on Monday. I can't believe I'm so close to the end!

Anyways just wanted to share my good news with everyone!

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Congratulations. I just my REG result back at 91, which I assume must mean everyone else just did really poorly because I did not feel I had a grasp on the material at all and was already preparing to retake in January.

Turd Nelson
Nov 21, 2008
Congrats to you too! I've been in the tax industry for the past 3 years and I got an 81 on REG. What's funny is I feel like I aced FAR this time around. I finished with an hour left to spare. Oh well, a pass is a pass!

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Yeah, I feel like I've broken the rule to not study too much, but all I did was go through the Gleim materials. So I guess Gleim just massively overprepares you; I'll take being overprepared over having to retake a section.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Turd Nelson posted:

I took FAR back in August and failed with a 66. The lesson from that was to not study for an exam while planning a wedding. I retook FAR in October and I just found out I passed with an 83! I cannot describe how happy I am to never have to look at that book again. I'm taking my last test, Audit, on Monday. I can't believe I'm so close to the end!

Anyways just wanted to share my good news with everyone!

Congrats! I'm on the other side where I haven't done anything journal entry or accounting related in over a year (testing ITGCs and other ICFRs is increasingly looking like a waste of my degrees until maybe senior/manager level stuff comes into play), and actually just flipped through a few random pages of my becker FAR book to see if I still know things...

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Lemmi Caution posted:

Congratulations. I just my REG result back at 91, which I assume must mean everyone else just did really poorly because I did not feel I had a grasp on the material at all and was already preparing to retake in January.

Yea I did the same. I have no idea how I got a 91 on REG because I was convinced I tanked it. I must have gotten really lucky with my guessing that day.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

So, I forgot I made this thread 100 years ago. I'm a CPA now as of like two weeks ago.

Looking for a new job though because I live overseas right now and I want my good old US and A back.

Edit: I'm also still technically a lawyer but laffo at that. I'm about as informed on the law these days as an average facebook post.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 3, 2015

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Hellblazer187 posted:

So, I forgot I made this thread 100 years ago. I'm a CPA now as of like two weeks ago.

Looking for a new job though because I live overseas right now and I want my good old US and A back.

Edit: I'm also still technically a lawyer but laffo at that. I'm about as informed on the law these days as an average facebook post.

Congrats, as a dual license holder are you planning on doing anything interesting? Sounds like you are pretty much focused on the accounting side.

By interesting I mean 'become a badass white collar criminal tax attorney' or something

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Dislike button posted:

Congrats, as a dual license holder are you planning on doing anything interesting? Sounds like you are pretty much focused on the accounting side.

By interesting I mean 'become a badass white collar criminal tax attorney' or something

Thanks!

Right now, I'm focused on getting into a CPA firm. From there, I have a few potential paths. Stay in public, move to law after a while, or move into industry and try to get into upper management. Another thing I've thought about is getting into the litigation support side of CPA practice. I think before I do anything else, I need to grind out a few years in an honest to goodness CPA firm. I'll stay up to date on bar dues in my home state, and if necessary take the bar in whatever state I land in a few years later.

I've definitely thought about white collar criminal work. Actually, what I had really wanted to do when I got out of law school was criminal defense. It wasn't in the cards due to the economy at the time, the status of the legal market in general, and just where I was personally coming out of school. So maybe I could circle back there someday.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I would be more thinking become an estate executor and rake in the bucks.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Lemmi Caution posted:

I would be more thinking become an estate executor and rake in the bucks.

More like get sued into oblivion by pissed off beneficiaries.

js86
Jul 22, 2012
Has anyone here taken the CFA exam? I passed the CPA and CMA exams and the CFA looks appealing to me.

Turd Nelson
Nov 21, 2008
Just found out I passed my final exam - audit - with a 75! Words can't explain how much relief I feel to never have to listen to another Roger lecture!

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Turd Nelson posted:

Just found out I passed my final exam - audit - with a 75! Words can't explain how much relief I feel to never have to listen to another Roger lecture!

Congrats! I got an 84 on BEC so I am done these lame exams too. Gonna join the cool people association now

Turd Nelson
Nov 21, 2008
Thanks and Congrats to you too! Now instead of being a Can't Pass Anything, we're Certified Party Animals!

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
What's life like for non-accountants at THE BIG 4? One of them has an office nearby and they are apparently heavily recruiting for corporate consulting in a field I'm somewhat familiar with ie. fraud/law enforcement/investigations etc. The bennies and salary are pretty good. Although it is a 60%-80% travel required job. Are the non tax jobs just as potentially soul crushing? My sister in law was a CPA for another big firm and loved the travel, but hated the hours and lack of a work life balance which forced her to quit. It's tempting, but there's not much info for life in these types of positions.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

Untagged posted:

What's life like for non-accountants at THE BIG 4? One of them has an office nearby and they are apparently heavily recruiting for corporate consulting in a field I'm somewhat familiar with ie. fraud/law enforcement/investigations etc. The bennies and salary are pretty good. Although it is a 60%-80% travel required job. Are the non tax jobs just as potentially soul crushing? My sister in law was a CPA for another big firm and loved the travel, but hated the hours and lack of a work life balance which forced her to quit. It's tempting, but there's not much info for life in these types of positions.

Going from what I read at Going Concern, these areas are more profitable than bog standard tax and auditing services. Because of this, they offer better salaries and better hours without the same pressures of eating time from unrealistic budgets. By all accounts, they seem like a great place to start a career.

That is, until the next economic downturn when consulting work disappears.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Missing Donut posted:

Going from what I read at Going Concern, these areas are more profitable than bog standard tax and auditing services. Because of this, they offer better salaries and better hours without the same pressures of eating time from unrealistic budgets. By all accounts, they seem like a great place to start a career.

That is, until the next economic downturn when consulting work disappears.

Yeah I would so much rather work in consulting versus regular audit or tax.

Untagged posted:

Those kinds of jobs can be pretty great and have huge promotion/career development potential. What's your background? Is this an AML or similar position? I've got some friends who have done very well in that field.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Thanks for the info.

Dislike button posted:

What's your background? Is this an AML or similar position? I've got some friends who have done very well in that field.

A couple years of being a law enforcement officer. But I've got a good bit of fraud related training and investigation experience, which I'm hoping to parlay. I've also got some finance courses and working on my CFE and associated certs, which allegedly helps a bit. The job seems to be fraud/internal corporate/corporate crime investigations and business to law enforcement related consulting and potentially actually doing investigations depending upon who the unit it working with. Just concerned because it sounds like a lot of employees are miserable, but just about all of them are accountant and tax.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

About to start my MSA in Accounting with an eye to eventually getting my CPA, I've been accepted to two programs, both state schools (out of my state) but the programs are entirely online. They have my pre reqs built in and once I start the actual Grad coursework, itll only take me a year to finish. Already have a "mentor" who is a CPA and has her own practice (business? idk what you call it in the accounting world) so I should be able to step right into my work experience, and then be eligible to do the CPA exam thing. My ultimate goal is to do what she (my mentor) does, which is accounting for individuals and small businesses (emphasis on small businesses) - I wanna be mah own boss and help strengthen small biz in my community etc etc.

So it doesn't really matter what school my Masters is from, given my goals, yea? Are there any glaring flaws in the above plan?

e: One of the programs I'm looking at is AACSB accredited, the other is not (they're a "candidate") - does this really matter? I've already checked that the credits for either would count for my eligibility to take the exam.

black.lion fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 7, 2016

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
You probably don't need to wait to have work experience to take the CPA exam. Check your state.

Also, is your ultimate goal to hang a shingle and start your own practice? Because you'll likely want to get several years experience in your practice area as not the only CPA looking at things before you do that.

And what schools are you looking at? I'd make sure they're fairly reputable if they're online.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Hmmm my state says I need 1800 hours working under a licensed CPA to sit for the exam, so I think I do need the work experience :saddowns:

My ultimate goal IS to hang my shingle, but I don't plan to do it right as I get my license - the business I want (individuals and small businesses) is exactly what my mentor does, so if all works out well, I'd work with/under her for a couple of years before even thinking about lancing out on my own.

Right now I'm looking at Colorado State University Global Campus and Texas A&M Commerce for online programs - both are regionally accredited state schools, but only Texas is AACSB. They seem reputable and the curriculum for each looks legit.

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

black.lion posted:

My ultimate goal IS to hang my shingle, but I don't plan to do it right as I get my license - the business I want (individuals and small businesses) is exactly what my mentor does, so if all works out well, I'd work with/under her for a couple of years before even thinking about lancing out on my own.

You should consider more like ten years before you try to run your own firm. Just a note for you.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Industry busy season, I love you! Hope everyone else is sane.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
77 hours in the last seven days, including 23 hours last weekend.

Leaving at seven and senior asks "leaving already?"

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

It's this time of year where I start to wonder if I should just stay in non-profit forever.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
Get a job in industry. I haven't worked more than 40 hours a week this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

That's one of the end goals of working in public, right? Industry, or make partner, I suppose. I had always heard it was best to put in as many years in public as you could stand before moving in house as you can come in at a higher level and promotion within industry is not supposed to be as quick as in one of the firms.

What's your experience been like? I kind of like the work I'm doing now (tax), but the hours are pretty brutal at times.