Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

And even still, to limit that to at most 20 increments of 5 (when only using cash) is just fine by me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

pwn posted:

This is the first topic Oliver's covered where him and I are in disagreement. Stark disagreement, at that. The arguments he made were facile.

The main point, "it costs more to make a penny than the penny's worth!," is true. The flipside of that coin is that dimes and quarters costs far less to make than the coin's face value - in 2014, about 4 and 9 cents, respectively. That year, the US Mint made $289 million worth of coinage after the costs of production, including the loss from pennies and nickels.

The secondary point, which boils down to "people don't bother picking up a penny," well, in those big cities, that appears to be true. I've never lived in NYC or San Francisco, but in smaller cities I've lived in, pennies are appreciated. However, I realize the rest of the country which resides outside of the big cities wherein these shows tape doesn't exist/matter, so I'll concede that point.

Finally, the notion of getting rid of the ha'penny in 1867, when we were all primates I guess, so what's stopping us now?? A half-penny, by definition, is a fraction of a denomination, not a denomination in itself. It was a necessity of the time, when a penny had more value. Simply put, if a dollar is 100 units, you have to be able to break it into 100 units.

Jesus. For Jon Olivers sake I hope he doesnt post on these forums...

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
I'm one of the 2% that has thrown all pennies in the trash/directly in the take a penny leave a penny trey since I began using money.

Coins in general are pretty useless and will be completely irrelevant once small incremental transfers become electronic and convenient. Vending machines have credit card slots and the day is coming when this will also be true for parking meters and toll booths.

That being said, it is pretty nice to buy a coffee once in a while with saved up dimes nickels from your car and not feeling like you "paid" for it.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I keep all my change, and at the end of each month, drop it into a Coinstar machine and cash it out.

Yeah, Coinstar takes 10 cents from every dollar, but it beats rolling it and taking it to bank. I usually have 30-40 dollars in change at the end of each month.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Nobody in Canada carries money unless you're buying drugs these days. I throw all my small change coins at poor people for fun

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Gonz posted:

I keep all my change, and at the end of each month, drop it into a Coinstar machine and cash it out.

Yeah, Coinstar takes 10 cents from every dollar, but it beats rolling it and taking it to bank. I usually have 30-40 dollars in change at the end of each month.

Jesus, do you not ever use a card?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

speshl guy posted:

Vending machines have credit card slots and the day is coming when this will also be true for parking meters and toll booths.

Ahem. Up here in Glorious Republic of Canuckistan, I routinely pay for parking at various places with a CC, at a machine at the corner of the parking lot which takes coins or CC, and dispenses a ticket. The only toll road I've ever been on in Canada, the 407, sends you a bill at the end of the month.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

pwn posted:

This is the first topic Oliver's covered where him and I are in disagreement. Stark disagreement, at that. The arguments he made were facile.

The main point, "it costs more to make a penny than the penny's worth!," is true. The flipside of that coin is that dimes and quarters costs far less to make than the coin's face value - in 2014, about 4 and 9 cents, respectively. That year, the US Mint made $289 million worth of coinage after the costs of production, including the loss from pennies and nickels.

The secondary point, which boils down to "people don't bother picking up a penny," well, in those big cities, that appears to be true. I've never lived in NYC or San Francisco, but in smaller cities I've lived in, pennies are appreciated. However, I realize the rest of the country which resides outside of the big cities wherein these shows tape doesn't exist/matter, so I'll concede that point.

Finally, the notion of getting rid of the ha'penny in 1867, when we were all primates I guess, so what's stopping us now?? A half-penny, by definition, is a fraction of a denomination, not a denomination in itself. It was a necessity of the time, when a penny had more value. Simply put, if a dollar is 100 units, you have to be able to break it into 100 units.

How about the environmental cost then? Last I checked Zinc is metal, a metal that needs to be mined and smelted. All for something that isn't particularly useful or desired.

TheCenturion posted:

Ahem. Up here in Glorious Republic of Canuckistan, I routinely pay for parking at various places with a CC, at a machine at the corner of the parking lot which takes coins or CC, and dispenses a ticket. The only toll road I've ever been on in Canada, the 407, sends you a bill at the end of the month.

Here in Yankee land I'm just glad that I can pay a ticket online now. We're miles away from what you describe though where cash is demanded for all parking related expense, be it city meter or even parking lots. Which is bullshit why on earth wouldn't a debit/credit card scanner not be useful to them. Luckily I live in the toll bridge free area, but I understand from friends that it can be a nightmare too in some places.

Zythrst fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 23, 2015

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

Gonz posted:

So you're making multiple cash transactions every day of your life pretty much? Do these places not accept debit cards? It takes the exact amount out of your account then you don't have to go out of your way to a coinstar and you're not bleeding $3-4 a month unnecessarily.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Gonz posted:

They don't even take 10% if you cash out to amazon money. I just took my change jar in after like 3 years and I had 80 bucks, it was pretty sweet.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

speshl guy posted:

Coins in general are pretty useless and will be completely irrelevant once small incremental transfers become electronic and convenient. Vending machines have credit card slots and the day is coming when this will also be true for parking meters and toll booths.

So Scandinavia today then?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Practical Demon posted:

Jesus, do you not ever use a card?

I prefer cash. Always have.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

My "Cash, most of the time" policy is backed up by the fact that many years ago, my debit information was stolen by some sort of malicious device affixed to a gas station pump.

The following day, my bank called me and said they placed a temporary lock on my account because they thought it was unusual that someone two states over tried to buy $1,800 dollars in electronics at a Wal-Mart.

Ever since then, I only use plastic if I absolutely, positively have to. And even then, I won't hand my card over to anyone. I have to be able to swipe it myself. Otherwise, no dice.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 23, 2015

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Xoidanor posted:

So Scandinavia today then?

Even in backwards-rear end Australia there are hardly any places left that won't accept contactless card payments, including vending machines, parking meters, train stations etc. About the only place I pay with cash these days is the coffee shop next to my office, and even then it's only to control my caffeine habits (running through $20 just on coffee in a week reminds me how much I'm drinking).

And when John Oliver said "Australia got rid of their 1c coin", it's not a recent thing. We got rid of 1c and 2c coins in 1991.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Gonz posted:

My "Cash, most of the time" policy is backed up by the fact that many years ago, my debit information was stolen by some sort of malicious device affixed to a gas station pump.

The following day, my bank called me and said they placed a temporary lock on my account because they thought it was unusual that someone two states over tried to buy $1,800 dollars in electronics at a Wal-Mart.

Ever since then, I only use plastic if I absolutely, positively have to. And even then, I won't hand my card over to anyone. I have to be able to swipe it myself. Otherwise, no dice.

The bank locked it though? Lol. Its honestly safer to walk around with a card than like 100$ cash everywhere

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Austrian mook posted:

The bank locked it though? Lol. Its honestly safer to walk around with a card than like 100$ cash everywhere

This is true, but I only ever walk around with 40-60 dollars on me at any time (for incidental purchases like gas or lunch). When I do a large amount of grocery shopping, and I know it's going to be 200-300 bucks spread over several stores, I use my card.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Gonz posted:

This is true, but I only ever walk around with 40-60 dollars on me at any time (for incidental purchases like gas or lunch). When I do a large amount of grocery shopping, and I know it's going to be 200-300 bucks spread over several stores, I use my card.

It kind of seems like you're self-inflicting a large hassle on yourself(loving 30-40 dollars worth of coins per month) on a preposterous ideal that you're already violating most of the time.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

All that being said, pennies are dumb as gently caress and should eventually be phased out. Aside from being used as a convenience tax for the Coinstar machine, I don't think i've paid for anything using pennies (in conjunction with other coinage) for quite some time.

FetusSlapper posted:

It kind of seems like you're self-inflicting a large hassle on yourself(loving 30-40 dollars worth of coins per month) on a preposterous ideal that you're already violating most of the time.

I just toss the change in a jar when I get home and cash it out at the end of the month. Takes 60 seconds. Aside from groceries, I pay for almost everything else with cash. It's not too big of a hassle.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 24, 2015

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Facts that John neglected to mention:

-We also lose money on nickels. It makes sense if you look at them, they're the thickest coin for some reason.

-There are people who stockpile pennies in anticipation for the discontinuation of the penny, because their melt-down value of their base metals would be more valuable than the cost of the coins, giving a good return on investment. Theoretically, it's illegal to melt them down while they are still considered valid US currency, so they have to wait, but I've also heard stories of people collecting old coins that still have silver in them for the same reason, and they seem to get by.

Personally, I'm for keeping the penny, if only because gently caress speculators.

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

pwn posted:

Simply put, if a dollar is 100 units, you have to be able to break it into 100 units.

A dollar isn't necessarily 100 units. If we got rid of the penny it would be 20 units. What's wrong with that? Why should we spend money and resources making something nobody uses?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Gonz posted:

My bank has a machine that rolls coins for you. And they don't take 10%.

My other bank has people that will help you roll coins with the aid of a little plate that helps separate the coins. We rolled $~$90 in about ten minutes. It probably would take longer to put that through a coin star and take it to a register.

Cole fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Nov 24, 2015

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I can't believe people are here defending the loving penny

Also at my local Chase branch the teller will fill out a deposit slip for me (I usually already have it written out anyway), but I think that's just because the tellers are abnormally nice.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I can't believe people are here defending the loving penny

Also at my local Chase branch the teller will fill out a deposit slip for me (I usually already have it written out anyway), but I think that's just because the tellers are abnormally nice.

Wells Fargo had you swipe your debit card and it is the same as a deposit slip.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Austrian mook posted:

Nobody in Canada carries money unless you're buying drugs these days. I throw all my small change coins at poor people for fun

I keep cash to. It coffee because God help you if you use interac for a 2 dollar purchase in front of me.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

sbaldrick posted:

I keep cash to. It coffee because God help you if you use interac for a 2 dollar purchase in front of me.

I'm sorry you have to wait several seconds longer, it sounds like a nightmare.

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
The fact that all transactions aren't using cards is a failure of humanity to reach the future.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

pwn posted:

A net profit does not justify losses that are completely unnecessary and avoidable. When you say they made X million dollars doing a thing, you are also saying that they would have MORE than X million dollars if they hadn't done the thing. And if the thing they did produced nothing of value, then that is lost revenue, no matter how you try to frame it.

pwn posted:

Countering anecdotal evidence with more anecdotal evidence means nothing, especially when you attempt to force in big-city vs. small-town America argument.

pwn posted:

Yeah, that's not how denominations work. By that logic, the quarter isn't a real denomination, since it is also a fraction of a denomination (that denomination being a dollar).

SlothfulCobra posted:

-We also lose money on nickels. It makes sense if you look at them, they're the thickest coin for some reason.

Yes, and this is a good reason why we should eventually phase out the nickel as well. But there's no point in fighting that war if we can't even get rid of the loving penny.

Edit: Also, the reason it's thicker is to help the blind differentiate then from other coins. All US coins are shaped how they are for this reason.

SlothfulCobra posted:

-There are people who stockpile pennies in anticipation for the discontinuation of the penny, because their melt-down value of their base metals would be more valuable than the cost of the coins, giving a good return on investment. Theoretically, it's illegal to melt them down while they are still considered valid US currency, so they have to wait, but I've also heard stories of people collecting old coins that still have silver in them for the same reason, and they seem to get by.

Personally, I'm for keeping the penny, if only because gently caress speculators.

I can't tell if this is the stupidest argument against the penny, or simply the most asinine, but either way it is worthless. Continuing a course of action that provides a detriment to everyone, simply out of spite because a few others might benefit otherwise, is the height of irrationality.

Paper Kaiju fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 24, 2015

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Mavric posted:

The fact that all transactions aren't using cards is a failure of humanity to reach the future.

Why aren't we living in Star Trek yet?! :qqsay:

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

TheCenturion posted:

Canada recently started phasing out the penny. If you pay cash, it gets rounded to the nearest five cents. If you pay electronically, it's the exact amount.

I'll pay cash for any amounts ending in .*1, .*2, .*6, .or *7 and put on card any amounts ending in .*3, .*4, .*8. or .*9. With all those savings, I'll buy a boat.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Counterpoint: you should always have a couple hundred in cash set aside in case of emergencies. Like if your bank info gets stolen and you have unauthorized charges. I had no money for a few days while the bank did an investigation even though I actually should have had plenty in my account.

I would rather use cash in that case than credit.

E: admittedly my savings account is empty because I'm roughly two months away from being out of debt and all my money goes to that.

It's also why I opened a second bank account and keep a few hundred bucks in that until the night before payday, when I dump whatever is left over into my debt.

Cole fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Nov 24, 2015

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.

Klaus88 posted:

Why aren't we living in Star Trek yet?! :qqsay:

:agreed:

edit: though actually didn't they completely do away with money in the federation?

Mavric fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 24, 2015

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Mavric posted:

:agreed:

edit: though actually didn't they completely do away with money in the federation?

:argh: Trap evaded.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Cole posted:

My bank has a machine that rolls coins for you. And they don't take 10%.

My other bank has people that will help you roll coins with the aid of a little plate that helps separate the coins. We rolled $~$90 in about ten minutes. It probably would take longer to put that through a coin star and take it to a register.

My bank has a coinstar type machine that just deposits the money into your account without taking the coinstar fee. It was pretty sweet when I used it a year or so ago.

In the past year the only things I have used cash for are
  • buying a lotto ticket
  • buying some candy from a coworker for her kid's fundraiser
  • tip for the waitress at Golden Coral when I got talked into going that one time
  • putting some money into the pot to buy something for a lady at work's 50th birthday

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

sbaldrick posted:

I used my debit card to make a 1 cent purchase on "chose your own price" slurpee day at 7-11

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Hey now! Pennies are great for high school chemistry experiments / demos. The pre-1982 ones can be coated in zinc to make them look like silver, and the post-1982 ones can be slightly cut to expose the zinc cores and made to float in water!

But yeah, they're pointless.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

Paper Kaiju posted:

Edit: Also, the reason it's thicker is to help the blind differentiate then from other coins. All US coins are shaped how they are for this reason.

Uh, no. Our bills still aren't even blind-friendly. Our coins are sized as they are due to the value of the metal they were originally made with. Pennies were copper, nickels were nickel, and dimes and up were silver.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Paper Kaiju posted:

Yeah, that's not how denominations work. By that logic, the quarter isn't a real denomination, since it is also a fraction of a denomination (that denomination being a dollar).

Like, I get that this is SA and we need to argue for the argument's sake, but you do know that he means the penny as the smallest denomination of the currency (or unit) that makes up larger denominations like the quarter and the dollar? A quarter is 25 units of 'penny', a dollar is 100 units of 'penny', like the number 1 is the smallest non-fractional number, of which 1,000,000 units make up a million etc.

On the other hand, do people not get that the elimination of the penny requires a complete revamp of pricing? As in "buying poo poo at a retailer may not result in an amount due that cannot be paid without single cents".

Unless you want to argue the complete removal of cash, of course. :can:

Nevermind, didn't see this:

TheCenturion posted:

Canada recently started phasing out the penny. If you pay cash, it gets rounded to the nearest five cents. If you pay electronically, it's the exact amount.

Of course, almost everything in Canada is through debit cards, these days.

But lol at anyone lobbying for the removal of the Penny getting anywhere in US politics by exemplifying Canada.
You know what, that actually sounds pretty nifty.

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Nov 24, 2015

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Like, I get that this is SA and we need to argue for the argument's sake, but you do know that he means the penny as the smallest denomination of the currency (or unit) that makes up larger denominations like the quarter and the dollar? A quarter is 25 units of 'penny', a dollar is 100 units of 'penny', like the number 1 is the smallest non-fractional number, of which 1,000,000 units make up a million etc.

On the other hand, do people not get that the elimination of the penny requires a complete revamp of pricing? As in "buying poo poo at a retailer may not result in an amount due that cannot be paid without single cents".

Unless you want to argue the complete removal of cash, of course. :can:

Nevermind, didn't see this:

But lol at anyone lobbying for the removal of the Penny getting anywhere in US politics by exemplifying Canada.

The dollar is made up of one hundred units in practice, yes, but what this whole segment is about is eliminating the practice of using 100 units just like we eliminated the practice of using 200 units in a dollar in the 1800's with the half penny.

Retailers will adjust the values of products and services to coincide with the change.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
Yeah a majority of people favor keeping the penny because they think all the .99 would become dollar which is a fundamental misunderstanding of why thing are .99.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Good to see that American exceptionalism apparently applies to currency as well

• Locked thread