Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
That new dock is kinda cool but I feel like you'd get the exact same usage if you just positioned your charger that way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
As a rule I don't pay more than 20 bucks for a case or a dock for my gadgets.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

I had the Spigen dock but since Nightstand Mode came out I just put it down sideways with the charger cable over the top of the band into the back of it naked on the nightstand. Works fine. I like how pretty much just bumping my nightstand will make the screen come on that way, it's my default bed clock now.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
Third party Milanese loop update: I bought this one and the magnet actually seems to be quite a bit stronger. I haven't felt nearly as much sliding as my last band. Looks like the weird space handcuff is my band of choice!

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

VladimirLeninpest posted:

Third party Milanese loop update: I bought this one and the magnet actually seems to be quite a bit stronger. I haven't felt nearly as much sliding as my last band. Looks like the weird space handcuff is my band of choice!

I love the moko bands. I'm wearing a black sports band by them right now and it feels great

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Apparently the Apple Watch might be one of the top gifts this Christmas? I find that odd. I have one and quite like it but have a feeling for many people it would end up in the "junk drawer" after a few months.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.

VladimirLeninpest posted:

Weird that the silver Milanese is the cheapest one. Other colors are more and simpler styles are 3x as much.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Vintimus Prime posted:

I love the moko bands. I'm wearing a black sports band by them right now and it feels great

What do you like about their sports band vs the apple one?

Also I ordered their leather band just now. It looks pretty drat comfortable.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA
I treated myself to a 42mm stainless steel today with the red sport band; it doesn't look too bad, though for daily wear I'm going to replace it with a leather double tour/bracelet band (like the Hermes one) that I'll make myself. I also looked at the Milanese loop, but it just looked... Sterile? Un-cute, and not terribly stylish.

Anyway, are there any particular vendors for adapters that anyone would recommend, especially stainless steel? Looking on Amazon it's hard to tell from pictures if they are actually shiny and chrome or just mediocre aluminum.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I tried searching and couldn't find anything but wanted to double check. I picked up a Apple Watch Sport and it arrived today, but I was wondering what the consensus is regarding bumpers/screen protectors/etc? For reference I have an Otterbox Commuter and screen protector on my iPhone but I also tend to drop it and such so I feel it's reasonable. For the watch though I'm just not sure how much risk there is from banging it on anything, and also read about hairline scratches in some people's Sport models where they're not sure what caused it so I'd hope to avoid that if possible.

Do I need anything or can I just go with AppleCare+ on it and call it good?

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 1, 2015

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I don't have a screen protector or case or AppleCare because I can't think of a reason to own one. I've never broken or scratched a watch and my watch is literally never in any conditions where it'd get scratched unless I'm cutting some diamonds near it.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.
I haven't worn a watch since I was a teenager. I have a weird bone in my wrist that makes it uncomfortable. I've been wearing the Watch for about two months now and have tried many, many bands. I WANT to love it but I just can't wear it anymore.

I guess I'm going to sell it (sport 42mm), about a dozen bands (half leather, half colored sports) and AppleCare. Think $500 for all of it is reasonable?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
lemme see them bands first

But you could try wearing it where the face is visible when your palm is upwards

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

I seriously cannot think of anything more ridiculous than using a screen protector or case on a loving Apple Watch.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Been thinking of getting one for a while now. I have fat arms so I'll be getting the 42mm watch. But is there much difference between the Sport and regular Apple Watch? If it's just cosmetic and materials then I'll probably save money and get the sport edition.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Corbae posted:

Been thinking of getting one for a while now. I have fat arms so I'll be getting the 42mm watch. But is there much difference between the Sport and regular Apple Watch? If it's just cosmetic and materials then I'll probably save money and get the sport edition.

The Watch Sport is aluminum and fancy glass, while Watch is stainless steel and sapphire. I think the back sensor / charging block is different between them too but that's pretty much it.

I guess that the Sport is a good bit lighter than the Watch, too. That was actually the deciding factor for me (I chose the Sport).

<edit> Really if you have an Apple store nearby you should go in and actually try out the different models. I tested half a dozen watch / band combinations before I decided on one.

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Dec 1, 2015

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That's exactly the only difference. The sport still looks pretty nice imo but I'm not a fan of chrome.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I thought the regular watch was too heavy when I tried it on, so that plus price was why I went with the sport.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.

noirstronaut posted:

lemme see them bands first

But you could try wearing it where the face is visible when your palm is upwards

Black sports band is currently on it. https://www.dropbox.com/photos/shared_space/j6MR9rb8LtGAoRq

I just don't think my body can handle watches. Physical or mental block, whatever it is.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.
Well. Watch, eleven extra bands, etc. are posted. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3754408 I hope it goes to a good home.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

pipebomb posted:

Well. Watch, eleven extra bands, etc. are posted. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3754408 I hope it goes to a good home.

loving amazing deal man.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

SourKraut posted:

I tried searching and couldn't find anything but wanted to double check. I picked up a Apple Watch Sport and it arrived today, but I was wondering what the consensus is regarding bumpers/screen protectors/etc? For reference I have an Otterbox Commuter and screen protector on my iPhone but I also tend to drop it and such so I feel it's reasonable. For the watch though I'm just not sure how much risk there is from banging it on anything, and also read about hairline scratches in some people's Sport models where they're not sure what caused it so I'd hope to avoid that if possible.

Do I need anything or can I just go with AppleCare+ on it and call it good?

I got some small scratches on my sport. I think I got it from a new backpack I have that has a heavy brass zipper rails that are kinda scratchy. Must have happened when I was digging around in it. I still won't get a film or case. I don't like it but I'm kinda tolerant now a days of small screen scratches on apple devices. However, I think when I upgrade, I'll switch to a sapphire screen.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

I scratched my sapphire, that's no guarantee either.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Replacing a cracked Apple Watch screen is very easy and cheap.

killa-pope
May 21, 2008
Does anybody have a favorite to-do/reminders that they use? I have fantastical 2 and while I love it on all my other devices, the watch app is horrible.

Anyway, I started using Fantastical because it actually syncs with iOS reminders. Does anything else do that? The closest I've found is to-doist which would require IFTTT as a middle app, which I'd rather avoid if possible.

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

What about Wunderlist? I haven't tried the watch app yet, but the iOS app is great.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

MarcusSA posted:

What do you like about their sports band vs the apple one?

Also I ordered their leather band just now. It looks pretty drat comfortable.

The apple ones are still superior, but the Mokos are very good. Comfortable, a little thinner than the apple original bands. At least in my experience, one of the better third party sport bands.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wow, Best Buy has the Apple Watch at $100 off.

Has anyone tried a gold sport model with the Milanese loop? Does it look more like cool mixed metals or like you picked up the wrong watch band?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The gold sport is ugly at best, and dual-tone watches always look terrible.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I think the gold sport could work with the new subdued colors of the sport band but not with the Milanese. Go to a store and see yourself if you like it, which really is all that matters.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
gold sport with blue rubber band only acceptable watch

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

I thought the gold sport would be more gold. I wasn't really interested in it until I saw it in person. They should have just called it "champagne" or something, because it really doesn't look "gold".

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008
There is a black third-party Milanese on Amazon that works well and looks quite sharp with the gold sport, IMO. With Apple's Milanese it would be pretty ugly.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

I can confirm that I was just able to get the Apple Watch at target, price matched with Best Buy and a $100 gift card.

Can't beat that deal.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

badjohny posted:

I can confirm that I was just able to get the Apple Watch at target, price matched with Best Buy and a $100 gift card.

Can't beat that deal.

So $200 for an Apple Watch Sport (factoring the $100 gift card)?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Duckman2008 posted:

So $200 for an Apple Watch Sport (factoring the $100 gift card)?

The 38mm would be 350-100-100gc=$150

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Jose Oquendo posted:

The 38mm would be 350-100-100gc=$150

Aka the cost of a Fitbit Charge HR!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Aka the cost of a Fitbit Charge HR!

Does the Fitbit let you get a reading using your dick?

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Jose Oquendo posted:

Does the Fitbit let you get a reading using your dick?

No, it is the inferior product :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Has anyone actually tried putting an apple watch on their dick

What happens

• Locked thread