Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Ninkobei posted:

Node, buddy, I didn't want to be the one to say this: you can do better!

Just throw some roast in a crockpot when you start raiding and by the time you guys are on the 8th corpse run it will be ready and way better that hot pockets.

I went with some Raley's frozen pizzas this time. Plus the leftovers from mac and cheese I cooked tonight. Slow cooker meat would be done sometime around when we're finishing raids tomorrow, not when I want to eat breakfast or lunch.
And the slow cooker food drives me nuts because it smells so good for hours before it's ready.

Half of Node's list was "fixed" the day before this goes live. But the zone breakdown is wrong.

TBM has:
Plane of Health (reskin of Windsong) (Not designed for exping or combat)
Demiplane of Life (new zone!)
Demiplane of Decay (reskin of Life)
Crypt of Decay (Crypt of Decay)
Crypt of Sul (reskin of Temple of Bertox)
Plane of Fear Revisited (PoFear)
Plane of Hate Revisited (PoHate v1)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

I finally hit level 95 last night on my warrior that I've been playing off and on since 2002. Should I try and rush to maximum level? I don't have the last two expansions and haven't bought the newest one yet. Or should I just kick back, enjoy some of the other older content I have wanted to do for a while, or dumb achievements, etc?

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Rain of Fear expansion encompasses 95 to 100 and is actually fun and good, but I don't know if people actually run through it anymore. Most people do dungeons from cotf expansion. If the new expansion comes out today you might get Cotf for free

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
General rule in terms of power gains in EQs history has been "Get levels, then AA" but in my small group of friends' experience, every time we'd level a tank we had to stop every 3-5 levels and max at least the available defensive AAs out just to avoid getting destroyed. Assuming you've been actively tanking your way to 95 you probably already know this, but it might be worth knocking a few hundred AA out, too.

If you're on Test or subscribed you should've gotten AAs autogranted up until 85 (?) at least, but I guess I don't know what levels the defensive AAs are ever really maximized at.

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

suuma posted:

General rule in terms of power gains in EQs history has been "Get levels, then AA" but in my small group of friends' experience, every time we'd level a tank we had to stop every 3-5 levels and max at least the available defensive AAs out just to avoid getting destroyed. Assuming you've been actively tanking your way to 95 you probably already know this, but it might be worth knocking a few hundred AA out, too.

If you're on Test or subscribed you should've gotten AAs autogranted up until 85 (?) at least, but I guess I don't know what levels the defensive AAs are ever really maximized at.

I have most of my defensive AA's at level 90-91 right now. I was going to grind out some AA tonight, to try and get at least one of my three baseline tanking deals to par with my level. I haven't really been tanking much in groups because the server I play on (Drinal) is mostly maxed out players or people box and don't need me to tank, I am just there to get experience

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

TheShazbot posted:

I have most of my defensive AA's at level 90-91 right now. I was going to grind out some AA tonight, to try and get at least one of my three baseline tanking deals to par with my level. I haven't really been tanking much in groups because the server I play on (Drinal) is mostly maxed out players or people box and don't need me to tank, I am just there to get experience

test copy and work through the expansions you don't have until TBS I think?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Corlen, I miss you buddy.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
The new Progression server with restricted boxing launches on 9th December and will be called Phinigel.

The boxing restriction is one client per machine, so they've said if you want to box you'll need to do it old school.

One other very interesting change is full instancing of raid targets with (in addition to the regular spawn) an account wide 6.5 day lockout.

All expansions will unlock after 90 days after the current one unlocks. No votes or targets/quests needed for the unlock.

Sounds good to me - think I'll be playing a bard and a box druid.

Full details of the server here,

https://www.everquest.com/news/phinigel-true-box-progression-server-dec-9-2015

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Baconroll posted:

The new Progression server with restricted boxing launches on 9th December and will be called Phinigel.

The boxing restriction is one client per machine, so they've said if you want to box you'll need to do it old school.

One other very interesting change is full instancing of raid targets with (in addition to the regular spawn) an account wide 6.5 day lockout.

All expansions will unlock after 90 days after the current one unlocks. No votes or targets/quests needed for the unlock.

Sounds good to me - think I'll be playing a bard and a box druid.

Full details of the server here,

https://www.everquest.com/news/phinigel-true-box-progression-server-dec-9-2015

They have now split the TDP population three ways... While I think that it's very cool, and will probably find myself rolling up a warrior to level through with everyone on the 9th. I can't expect that to last very long. I am more interested in how they will probably end up merging rage fire and lockjaw, and leaving this one on it's own.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I think the new server will be very popular as the vote to keep ragefire at 6 months was a bit of body blow for many guilds. Shorter unlocks plus the instanced raiding targets could make it very good for non 24x7 guilds who can't race for raid targets.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Instancing the raid bosses alone will probably make the server way more popular than the current ones. I actually wanna play again.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
My wife and I are down for the new tlp.

Let the possible guild names roll.

"Not it"
"Basement"
"Campin ur mobs"

Bleh my creativity well sucks today.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Kilazar posted:

My wife and I are down for the new tlp.

Let the possible guild names roll.

"Not it"
"Basement"
"Campin ur mobs"

Bleh my creativity well sucks today.

Ascending Fearboners
Fearboners
boners
Bonerkings
Neckbeards
Spectrum Disorder
RMTraders

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Kilazar posted:

"Not it"
"Basement"
"Campin ur mobs"

"Buttcoin Mafia"
"Dunning-Kruegerhounds"
"Only 1 Satoshi"
"Nakamoto's Train Obsession"

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Bluemist Crusade
My guild leader is a MLP fan

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Train To Zone

Obv

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
My friend is looking to buy test-copies of TBM plate raid ornaments if anyone gets their hands on a set
(2 kronos)

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

The Rage posted:

Train To Zone

Obv

Camp Check

ShankyMcStabber
Mar 9, 2012

I spend way too much money on computer parts.

Baconroll posted:

Good thing you can still use ISBoxer to control clients across multiple machines. I am almost tempted to start playing again on the new server and run a tri-box team, it isn't like the other 2 computers on my desk do much other than run some services/servers for family and friends.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

ShankyMcStabber posted:

Good thing you can still use ISBoxer to control clients across multiple machines. I am almost tempted to start playing again on the new server and run a tri-box team, it isn't like the other 2 computers on my desk do much other than run some services/servers for family and friends.

Wait you can?

Looking up more info on this...

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
I'll be on Phinny as an Enchanter. Instanced raids sold me.

The other TLP servers are as good as dead. Instances are just too convenient.

ShankyMcStabber
Mar 9, 2012

I spend way too much money on computer parts.

Hoohah posted:

Wait you can?

Looking up more info on this...

I used to 4 box Final Fantasy XIV with ISBoxer using 2 computers with 2 characters per. ISBoxer would even launch the game on both systems at the same time for me.

The only real functionality you give up is the tiling of all clients to a single monitor layout and the switching between "control" client is restricted on a per computer basis. So I could control the entire group from computer 1 like usual but if I needed to control the entire group from characters 3 or 4, I would have to grab the 2nd keyboard mouse on my desk.

The plus side was when I needed to do some more complex maneuvering for events I could control characters 2/3/4 from the keyboard hooked to my second system and still retain control of character 1 from keyboard 1 using various formation buttons to control and move characters as required.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I've got an old laptop that can run the game okay so I can dual box right out of the gate. Can't decide between druid/mage for max solo utility or enchanter/mage for something a bit new.

Maybe mage/mage.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
I caught the bug again when I heard about this server and the instanced raids. I will probably roll another Druid.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

I'm going to train mummies around nro again.

And laugh at all the people who don't expect dbg to gently caress this up in some horrible way.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

jetz0r posted:

I'm going to train mummies around nro again.

And laugh at all the people who don't expect dbg to gently caress this up in some horrible way.

Splitting the grognard TLP community two three ways is already loving it up horribly. I loving called it months ago (when I could still post on the forums) that they are never going to be happy with the servers they are begging for.

Tswift will definitely have some backup in Nro this time.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Man, that could suck me back in after all these years. Instanced raids should've been in the first progression servers. Are they doing anything about the mage issue on this new one?

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Man, that could suck me back in after all these years. Instanced raids should've been in the first progression servers. Are they doing anything about the mage issue on this new one?

Apparently raid mobs are harder to kill, but otherwise, I don't think so?

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
There looks to be two polar factions going into this.

The first are the "gently caress you, Content is instanced and your 24/7 bot farms are hosed" camp. These guys believe the instanced content will solve all their problems because they will have unrestricted access to raid mobs. Will it be enough content for them?

Then there are the "gently caress you, I'm a magebot farming god drat master and you're gonna pay me 500 Krono for Golden Efreet Boots because I'm the only one that can farm them 24/7" camp. These are all the dudes farming loot spawns on the TLP servers and cornering the market on premium items. Plat is worthless, you want something, you pay in Krono. God help you if you don't have a guild behind you when you want to do epics.

I know nothing about TLP servers Ragefire and Lockjaw. The instanced stuff sounds fun because I haven't burnt out on EQ1s content like I have other games and there just might be enough retro to help me suffer through the poo poo UI and sluggish game play. It sounds good on paper, but Daybreak would gently caress up a wet dream if given the opportunity and I really have zero faith after the unfun poo poo EQ2s TLE turned into.

I have so many questions about this and I'm afraid they won't release near enough information before it's go time. Here are the top things on my mind about a 15 year old video game.

1...Exactly what raid content will be instanced? They said Naggy, Vox, Phinny. What about entire raid zones like Plane of Hate, Fear, Sky, Veeshan's Peak?

2...Will they spawn extra zones if it's getting too crowded? 100 plus people in lower guk doesn't sound fun.

3...The Sleeper. Will they handle it differently this time?

4...90 days sounds like an incredibly short time for expansions like Luclin and Planes of Power.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
The lazy way is to make any zone that contains raid content (Permafrost, SolB, Kedge to use their examples) an instance but then people can just grind/farm the instanced versions for non-raid drops, which is good for the magebot groups and bad for those that just want the classic experience. Actually this might be good for everyone because it means there'd be a shitload of items from those zones floating around, so who knows. It's more likely that all raids will be done as expeditions and either all the named mobs in SolB for example aside from Nagafen won't spawn, but there'll still be all of the trash kobolds and the like.

The problem with TLPs now is that there aren't enough people to really balance numbers across multiple servers, like Live was in 2000, but there are too many to put on one so you end up with 100+ players in each zone. Boxing restrictions might help this, but anyone serious about boxing is just going to run multiple machines with ISBoxer anyway, so you'll still have 6 mage groups running around going nuts unless they nerf pets back to launch-level stats or make content hard enough to actually require other classes.

From a nostalgia standpoint I think a version of progression servers that followed all of the launch-current events like P99 would be more enjoyable, rather than having poo poo like super pets in from the start, but I'd like P99 more if it were going past Velious.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Givin posted:

4...90 days sounds like an incredibly short time for expansions like Luclin and Planes of Power.

I think RoI beat it in like a week tops?

UF and like VoA would be the only expacs that might not get beat in time. Maybe GoD cause they never bothered to retune it.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

suuma posted:

The problem with TLPs now is that there aren't enough people to really balance numbers across multiple servers, like Live was in 2000, but there are too many to put on one so you end up with 100+ players in each zone. Boxing restrictions might help this, but anyone serious about boxing is just going to run multiple machines with ISBoxer anyway, so you'll still have 6 mage groups running around going nuts unless they nerf pets back to launch-level stats or make content hard enough to actually require other classes.

A howl echoes in the distance, you can hear the Deathwalker approaching.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Givin posted:

I know nothing about TLP servers Ragefire and Lockjaw.

Basically they were griefers' paradises. And I don't say that in the painfully goony "lol and so im gonna train nro" way. I mean if you wanted to even just get XP, you had to grief. There just wasn't enough content to go around.

The servers attracted exactly the kind of people you'd expect a game with dramatically limited resources would attract, and sure enough, they acted exactly like you'd expect they would: exploiting every advantage they could to lock down content, then crooning about it nonstop in chat channels and forums. It wasn't about getting the loot so much as it was about making sure no one else got it as well.

I'm sure there will still be vicious fights over non-instanced high value mobs.

quote:

It sounds good on paper, but Daybreak would gently caress up a wet dream if given the opportunity and I really have zero faith after the unfun poo poo EQ2s TLE turned into.

How'd they gently caress up EQ2 TLE? When I played it it seemed to be exactly what they said it was going to be. It couldn't hold my attention for very long since the original content is of such poor quality, but I didn't feel lied to or anything.

quote:

I have so many questions about this and I'm afraid they won't release near enough information before it's go time. Here are the top things on my mind about a 15 year old video game.

1...Exactly what raid content will be instanced? They said Naggy, Vox, Phinny. What about entire raid zones like Plane of Hate, Fear, Sky, Veeshan's Peak?

2...Will they spawn extra zones if it's getting too crowded? 100 plus people in lower guk doesn't sound fun.

3...The Sleeper. Will they handle it differently this time?

1.) Supposed to be a FAQ on this soon. I would expect stuff like Fear, Sky, and VP to be instanced, but maybe not stuff like Hate (since it's more dungeon-y and packed with quest mobs/drops).

2.) They do on the other two TLP servers.

3.) Dunno.

4.) Three months is a long time. Guilds will have "beaten" those expansions within the first month, if not the first few weeks. Remember that EQ is a solved problem and those solutions are widely shared.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
EQ was so awesome when it wasn't a solved problem.

Wandering Kunark without maps. The feels. I still have screenshots (lovely quality, unfortunately) of the Kunark launch and the group with our guildmaster I was in, checking out all the new zones.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Node posted:

EQ was so awesome when it wasn't a solved problem.

Wandering Kunark without maps. The feels. I still have screenshots (lovely quality, unfortunately) of the Kunark launch and the group with our guildmaster I was in, checking out all the new zones.

I too miss being 14-18 years old.

Well, not really (though it sure did help with the sense of ~wonder~). People claim EQ's sense of scale and mystery was some kind of zeitgeist because of 56k, an adolescent Internet, and bad alt-tab support, but EQ's contemporaries like UO, AO, and DAOC all existed in those some conditions yet never managed to hold a candle to EQ's world building.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

boho posted:

I too miss being 14-18 years old.

Well, not really (though it sure did help with the sense of ~wonder~). People claim EQ's sense of scale and mystery was some kind of zeitgeist because of 56k, an adolescent Internet, and bad alt-tab support, but EQ's contemporaries like UO, AO, and DAOC all existed in those some conditions yet never managed to hold a candle to EQ's world building.

I was 30 when EQ first hit and because it was the first, it'll never be replicated for me.

The sense of wonder at what we were playing. The first time running around Kunark... SoV's release. Oh man.

The day PoF opened up... I'm sure I'll die before anything tops that in gaming for me just in terms of intensity and highs and lows.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

DigitalMocking posted:

I was 30 when EQ first hit and because it was the first, it'll never be replicated for me.

The sense of wonder at what we were playing. The first time running around Kunark... SoV's release. Oh man.

The day PoF opened up... I'm sure I'll die before anything tops that in gaming for me just in terms of intensity and highs and lows.

EQ was amazing because we didn't have anything else - a D&D game that was online. I spent so much time running around and camping stuff, but man, I just don't have that kind of time anymore. New MMORPGs have spoiled people for time invested vs. reward - People don't expect to spend 12 hours playing the game only to have it taken away from them these days.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

DigitalMocking posted:

Breaking PoF as a druid with a few wizards and a monk was a pretty sweet experience.

I was 14 when this game dropped, I started playing slightly before kunark came out, and nothing has captured it, I've played about 5-6 MMOs since and nothing comes close to the experiences I had in EQ for the first 1-2 years, after a while though, it got stale as well, got into the best guild on xeg for a few years top-end raiding etc made everything kind of dull.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Reinstalled this last night to futz about and get used to the clunky rear end interface before the 9th. Fired up a new paladin because why not. Ran out to Felwithe and the entire forest is being killed by mages.

Well poo poo.

Found one dude streaming actual Everquest and not p1999 last night. Guess what he was playing? 6 mages. I noticed he had an obscene amount of Kronos in his inventory of the main character I'm assuming, like 140.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Yup, there will be a boatload of Mages no matter what. I'm sure it can be helped -- gently caress, if you're implementing instanced raids on just one server you can find a way to nerf Mage pets on just one server (or just nerf them game wide before 70 or 80 because honestly who the gently caress is around to care) -- but it's not going to happen short of a miracle at this point.

They buffed raid mobs and now implemented an entirely new raid system instead of nerfing Mage pets. To me that says the problem with Mage pets is at a pretty fundamental level. Far beyond "just swap out the mob that's summoned you idiots." With a 16 year old legacy codebase I can believe it.

e: While I typically have a knee-jerk hostile reaction to Mage boxers, they're often pretty cool people and are often willing to group with you or help you out if you ask. Ultimately it's an extremely lonely way to play an extremely social game, and doing it isolates you even more since most players recognize it's an extremely cheesy way to play and want nothing to do with it.

That said, Mages get weaker with most expansions while pretty much every other class gets stronger. It's a loud, obvious problem in Classic, but begins to fade as early as Kunark (good luck getting your epic if you decide to play Mage).

boho fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 28, 2015