Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Eccleston still keeps up with the show well enough to know about Amy Pond :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I hope Eccleston works with Big Finish soon. Few hours of recording a week, nice environment. Maybe they'll get him.

Then we get him and Tom in a room together. Best multi-Doctor story ever.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I hope Eccleston works with Big Finish soon. Few hours of recording a week, nice environment. Maybe they'll get him.

We'll have to buy Eccleston a BF subscription. And then...:getin:

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009
I'm kinda jealous of people who, a few weeks before work is supposed to start, have no idea how they will be ready in time and still produce a brilliant piece of art. That's why they get paid the big bucks, I guess.

saucerman fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Nov 24, 2015

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

saucerman posted:

I'm kinda jealous of people who, a few weeks before work is supposed to start, have no idea how they will be ready in time and still produce a brilliant piece of art.
And then there's The Twelve Doctors.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I'm not holding my breath. If Eccleston didn't want to do Day of the Doctor, I highly doubt he'll do Big Finish any time soon. I'd imagine he and Moffat have each other on speed dial though, just in case.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

NarkyBark posted:

And how good was he! One moment as the Doctor and he nails it. He totally gets it. And he was lovely about being in it. I wasn’t there on his last day, but he gave a little speech and said something like: “I don’t want anyone to think I took this lightly or thought I was slumming it. This really meant something to me, to be the Doctor.” He was quite insistent, saying to me and to others: “So I am properly Doctor Who now. I am a Doctor Who. I can say it?” He loves the fact that he’s Doctor Who. Only having to stay in Cardiff for three weeks, he gets to be Doctor Who.

I love John Hurt

quote:

I took Louis up and, across the room, Sylvester saw us arriving. He leapt up from a sofa – and he’s not a young man – and he spun his walking cane like the Doctor’s umbrella and said, “Louis, Louis! I’m falling over. Could you just come and help me?” So Louis rushed over and helped Doctor No 7 and he thanked him very much. He’d turned into the seventh Doctor like that [clicks fingers] and I cannot now hear a bad word about his Doctor.

I love Sylvester McCoy

quote:

RT: The icing on the cake was getting Tom Baker to do a cameo towards the end of the special. How did that come about?
SM: Tom Baker, that was sort of awesome. That voice, unchanged since the 70s, those eyes, that smile – all back on the Doctor Who set. And everyone just standing there, staring. Like after all this time on Doctor Who, Doctor Who had turned up. Wasn’t quite sure what to expect, but he was word perfect, showed up with all his business sorted out, and nailed it, take after take. Magical. I can say I was actually there, the day Tom Baker came back.

Tom Baker's OK too

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

Eccleston still keeps up with the show well enough to know about Amy Pond :swoon:

Now we know why he didn't do the 50th...

"Ok, right, so I'll get to work with Amy and Rory right! Love Amy Pond, she's great!"
"Um no, sorry Chris. We've moved on from Amy, we're on Clara now."
"Yeah, that's a bit naff. Sorry Steve, I'm out."

jivjov posted:

It's just one clip, so I don't want to draw any sweeping conclusions, but he sounds really off in that one clip. Not nearly.....gravely enough.

I said this when they announced these audios, and I got a sense from the War Doctor novel they did--we're going to see a huge range from Hurt on these stories. We're going to come to realize that War IS the Doctor, and he'll be very Doctorish--funny at times, light, caring. Not all grumbly and weary and moody. And from what Moffat said about how into the role Hurt is, I think he's going to be excited to delve into all aspects of the character.

PoshAlligator posted:

Should have just stuck with Victoria nanny Clara.

She had much more depth than "real" Clara - balancing her two lives.

I just realized when (not if) Jenna Louise Coleman signs up for Big Finish, they can do an entire range of Splinter Clara adventures with ALL the Doctors. Should be pretty rad!

Also we'll need a Torchwood where Jack meets Ashdlr. Because he'll get around to her, eventually. :quagmire:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just have this horrible feeling that Chris is never going to come back to the role.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Rhyno 10 Years Ago posted:

I just have this horrible feeling that Tom is never going to come back to the role.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Davros1 posted:

They already have my money. All of it.

Nah, the Jamie and Zoe thing was part of a trilogy earlier this year, where a future incarnation of the Doctor found himself transported back to an earlier point in his timeline, so you had Seven wth Jo, Six with Jamie & Zoe, and Five with Steven & Vicki.

Though Six did have a brief quadrilogy with Jamie a couple years back.

Zoe did join in with that quadrilogy for the latter half. I do enjoy those three storys, the Companion Chronicle part I don't really have an opinion about tho.

I'm looking forward to getting the the trilogy with the three doctors and the old companions in my listen though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yeah and look how long it took him!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Rhyno posted:

Yeah and look how long it took him!

Well, if we count Dimensions in Time, it took him 12 years to reprise his role as the 4th Doctor.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Hang on. I leave for a couple of months and Big Finish starts doing Ten and Donna audios? And John loving Hurt is recording a few?! Do they just flat-out have a license for all of New Who? I had better get back to catching up!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CaptainYesterday posted:

Well, if we count Dimensions in Time, it took him 12 years to reprise his role as the 4th Doctor.

So Chris is due in 2017? I'd be surprised if he came back before 2027.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

Hang on. I leave for a couple of months and Big Finish starts doing Ten and Donna audios? And John loving Hurt is recording a few?! Do they just flat-out have a license for all of New Who? I had better get back to catching up!

They are now allowed to openly play around in the revival stuff, which is great. There's going to be a range soon of Classic Doctors facing off with Revival Monsters, there's already a new UNIT series, Strax has hooked up with Jago & Litefoot, there's 10/Donna stories coming, War Doctor stories, River Song is going to be appearing in an 8th Doctor story, and they're going to do a Time War story set in its early days when the 8th Doctor was doing his best to stay uninvolved.

Good times, good times.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jerusalem posted:

They are now allowed to openly play around in the revival stuff, which is great. There's going to be a range soon of Classic Doctors facing off with Revival Monsters, there's already a new UNIT series, Strax has hooked up with Jago & Litefoot, there's 10/Donna stories coming, War Doctor stories, River Song is going to be appearing in an 8th Doctor story, and they're going to do a Time War story set in its early days when the 8th Doctor was doing his best to stay uninvolved.

Good times, good times.

Well, almost good times.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I respect Christopher Eccleston's decision to take a lot of distance from the role, and he's actually been very gracious in the way he talks about the culture behind the show and its fans, and some of his thoughts about class, but I hope he comes back, just once, to record an audio with Big Finish, and that when he does, it's one of the good writers.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Ashldlr. Ashldlr you have hosed up. You have hosed right the gently caress up Ashldlr!

I get the feeling the death won't be permanent but it would be pretty rad if that's how Clara goes---not a big season ending finale thing, just tried to cheat death one too many times in a random episode and it backfired spectacularly, but she got to go with dignity and also to keep Twelve from just glassing the entire Trap Street and hanging Ashldlr from a dwarf star heart.

I'll be damned if Twelve doesn't make me want to see him push the Valeyard/Time Lord Victorious button and just rain down hellfire and brimstone on everyone associated with this, though!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I actually really think Clara's death will stick. She's properly leaving this season, they wrote the hell out of that death scene, and there's room in the season to properly explore the Doctor's response to her death. Really, what do you think they'd prefer to spend the last couple episodes writing about :
-The Doctor dealing with one of his closest companions dying right in front of his eyes, as a result of her trying to 'play Doctor'?
-Or the Doctor undoing the death of a character played by an actor who's leaving anyway?

I'd say, at most, we'll see her make some sort of 'unreal' appearance, like Danny did in Last Christmas. She won't actually be back, but she'll have a bit of a presence.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
if this wasn't her death scene how long and drawn out will her real death scene be

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Acne Rain posted:

if this wasn't her death scene how long and drawn out will her real death scene be

It will be next seasons arc.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
In my day, death scenes were the person clutching their chest and falling over dramatically with a musical sting!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

BSam posted:

It will be next seasons arc.

12 episodes of screaming, moaning and flailing in the background.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

12 episodes of screaming, moaning

Yes we know what the thread will be like, but what about the show? :haw:

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Jerusalem posted:

Short Synopsis: Star Trek: The Eurovision Frontier

Long Synopsis: The 7th Doctor and Mel stumble into a mixture of diplomatic incident, Eurovision song contest, and shoddy Poirot antics all taking place in an episode of Star Trek. Incompetence, wild deductions, and "humor" abound... also the Doctor almost gets laid.

What's Good:
  • The "Detective" Story. From the moment the Doctor and Mel find themselves on a space shuttle with two dead bodies, they know they've a mystery to solve. Both take very different approaches to this, with the Doctor content to let the clues come to him, sitting back and evaluating data, trying to figure out motivations and actions and solve the puzzle he's discovered. Meanwhile Mel rushes about enthusiastically making wild deductions based on little to no evidence. When the Doctor calmly shoots down her many theories (all of which make sense but are based on absolutely NOTHING), she quickly finds another person to hang out with who seems more willing to put up with her excited but baseless theories. Mel's complete impatience with the usual trappings of the mystery novel is a lot of fun too, at one point the Doctor tries to do the typical parlor "You're probably wondering why I gathered you all here" scene and Mel just irritably insists he stop teasing them with discarded theories and just tell them who the guilty person is. Perhaps the best part though is this brief exchange between the Doctor and Mel, which sums up their respective absent-minded brilliance and eagerness to correct natures:

Doctor: Every Poirot needs his Watson.
    Mel: Hastings.
    Doctor: Lovely place.

• The Star Trek parody. Though the names of the crew is apparently based on Space: 1999, it is very obvious from the get-go that the station, crew and even general settings is meant to evoke Star Trek. A weird mixture of TOS, TNG and DS9 to be sure, but still clearly Star Trek. The space station is called Dark Space 8, an obvious reference to Deep Space 9 - the crew feels like a mixture of TOS/TNG characters, with most of the background adventures they reference being obvious parodies of the type often faced by Captain Kirk and his crew, even the fact the station is hosting an intergalactic conference seems apropos. Given enough time I'm sure they would have started talking about Nazi Planet and Cowboy Planet. When the humor is good natured like that, the parody works quite well, and the (oft-forgotten) use of logbooks as a framing device works quite well, especially in the epilogue.

What's Not:

• Meanspirited. Unfortunately too often the parody falls into meanspirited territory. The Doctor (not the titular character) and the Professor are incompetents, more interested in workplace relationships and reminiscing about past adventures than actually doing their jobs. The reveals for why each are so useless feel especially mean - one is a drunk and the other is a fraud responsible for hundreds of death to satisfy her own desire for excitement/adventure. The latter is at least called out by Mel, who refuses to let the Doctor just smoothly gloss over these crimes. The entire song contest and all the contestants are treated as jokes, stereotypical caricatures in a contest that nobody REALLY cares about apart from the extraordinarily shallow and moronic. Now maybe this is an accurate depiction of Eurovision itself (All I know about it is that all the other countries are in on the joke that the contest exists purely to make sure England doesn't win it, just to see England get mad about it) but when everybody (including the contestants, the commentators, and the station crew) are constantly making fun of the contest it doesn't exactly make me the listener care at all about it.

• The mystery. Almost from the beginning the bad guy seems so obvious, the red herrings so clearly red herrings, that there is a sense it can't possibly be that simple. And then it is. There is no "mystery", the bad guy basically stomps around shouting,"I'M THE BAD GUY AND THESE THINGS I AM SAYING ARE LIES!" while other characters say,"THAT GUY MAY BE A JERK BUT HE'S DEFINITELY NOT THE BAD GUY!". The revelation of the mystery doesn't necessarily always need to be the big moment in the story, but the sense I get from listening to this is that it was intended to be - the Doctor's revelation of the true baddie was meant to make the listener go,"Oh wait that puts all his actions in a new context!" instead of,"Yeah.... obviously?"

• The accents, oh God the accents. Sadly this happens a lot in Big Finish, and there is no exception here. The accents are atrocious - a Valkyrie warrior who bellows and moans in a thick accent constantly and a squeaking Alpha-Centauri style voice for the mouse-like arbiter mean that there is a a constant stream of loud, annoying, grating voices assailing the ears. One alien character can only communicate through a staticky crackling so that is constantly showing up as well. A stronger story would make these bearable, but the plot and characters aren't strong enough and what is meant to be comedic just becomes annoying.

Final Thoughts:

Bang-Bang-a-Boom! makes no bones whatsoever about being a comedy, and a parody to boot. Unfortunately, while humor is subjective, I'd argue that the comedy here mostly falls flat, and the parody comes across more mean-spirited than anything else. The cast at least seem to throw themselves into their roles with relish, but the entire story has an air that Big Finish itself wasn't taking things seriously... to the point that it seems to be poking fun at how ridiculous/dramatic/campy the story is... but it is still THEIR story, don't make fun of something that you yourself are producing! A few good moments are surrounded by campy schlock, and the "mystery" itself and the big reveals are so incredibly obvious that it makes you wonder if the Doctor wasn't just holding back on his reveals because he knew there were two hours of content to fill. Comedy is fine and the odd self-effacing story is to be applauded, but it is very very easy to get that stuff wrong, and is such a subjective genre that there is a good chance it is going to fall flat for a significant proportion of viewers. For me it fell flat, and even so soon after listening to it I'm already starting to forget most of it. That's what this ultimately is, a very forgettable story, the primary memory of which will be the mental image of the startled Doctor with his head buried in a large set of breasts (not Peri).

Did I imagine the bit where the Doctor plays the spoons on stage as a "Eurovision" song entry? If not, that bit was great.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

12 episodes of screaming, moaning and flailing in the background.

stay out of my personal life

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NarkyBark posted:

Magical. I can say I was actually there, the day Tom Baker came back.

"He just sort of wandered onto the set while we were filming out of nowhere and started rambling at Matt Smith, so we made sure to record as much as we could".

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Neddy Seagoon posted:

"He just sort of wandered onto the set while we were filming out of nowhere and started rambling at Matt Smith, so we made sure to record as much as we could".

Then they just edited down to make it plot relevant.

"What time do the pubs shut around here? Does it matter? Who knows?"

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Jerusalem posted:

(All I know about it is that all the other countries are in on the joke that the contest exists purely to make sure England doesn't win it, just to see England get mad about it)

It's the UK in Eurovision, not England :ssh:

BSam posted:

quadrilogy

Tetralogy if you're not 20th Century Fox :reject:

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

NarkyBark posted:

SM: We had to work out what else to do. At that point neither David nor Matt were under contract either. I had Jenna [Coleman]. And I did come up with a plotline that was just Jenna. It was a nightmare. We’re weeks from filming. A production team is assembled, people are doing storyboards and I don’t even know if anyone who has ever played the Doctor is going to be in it.

[...]

RT: Didn’t John Hurt say something like “I received the script on Friday and was on set on Monday”?
SM: It wasn’t quite as fast as that but it was bloody fast.

It's insane and terrifying to me how close you can get to making a terrible show and then suddenly pull an amazing one out of the hat.

I'm also amazed to learn how late all of it came together. I thought the reason the 50th anniversary special turned out so great was because it had the benefit of so much lead time. I figured the War Doctor idea came in relatively late, and there are numerous lines in the special where I can almost hear Eccleston saying them. But I had no clue how late.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yeah, as much as we can talk about how a writer or a producer or a showrunner is doing a bad job, very few people get to the point of being involved at that level on a T.V. show without a fair amount of talent. The few that do are always pretty noticeable, there's certainly no shortage of bad comedy shows and horribly made movies, but generally if you made it to the top echelon of the entertainment industry you know your poo poo. There's also the fact that the product they're producing can vary wildly based on how they've changed and the hundred-plus other people involved. The same guy that made The Sixth Sense made The Last Airbender, after all.

Basically, sometimes you need to whip up a 50th Anniversary script in about two weeks to remind the people in charge to keep those cars full of money coming to your door.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

Short Synopsis: Star Trek: The Eurovision Frontier

The thing that most bothered me about this was the guy doing the bad Terry Wogan impression.

I wonder if they tried to get the man himself. They were able to get Tony Blackburn for "The Rapture".

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

NowonSA posted:

Yeah, as much as we can talk about how a writer or a producer or a showrunner is doing a bad job, very few people get to the point of being involved at that level on a T.V. show without a fair amount of talent. The few that do are always pretty noticeable, there's certainly no shortage of bad comedy shows and horribly made movies, but generally if you made it to the top echelon of the entertainment industry you know your poo poo. There's also the fact that the product they're producing can vary wildly based on how they've changed and the hundred-plus other people involved. The same guy that made The Sixth Sense made The Last Airbender, after all.

Basically, sometimes you need to whip up a 50th Anniversary script in about two weeks to remind the people in charge to keep those cars full of money coming to your door.

Exactly. In my experiences working in the industry, it's the tiniest variables that can determine if something is going to be amazing or terrible. Even if a script is top notch, there's still all of production and post left to gently caress things up.

Conversely, a brilliant director and editor can polish up a middling script into something decent.

E: I didn't like The Magician's Apprentice at all. However, a draft of the script appeared online not too long ago, and it works much, much better on paper.

HD DAD fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Nov 24, 2015

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back

Jerusalem posted:

Especially that story, it's really good! Not quite as good as The Seeds of Death, but then very little is :allears:
Personally (and despite my Troughton bias) I enjoy Seeds of Doom more. I don't like the Ice Warriors, they're mouth breathing slow rear end creeps with lego hands.

Dr. Gene Dango MD fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Nov 24, 2015

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

saucerman posted:

I'm kinda jealous of people who, a few weeks before work is supposed to start, have no idea how they will be ready in time and still produce a brilliant piece of art. That's why they get paid the big bucks, I guess.

That is literally every week on DW.

HD DAD posted:

E: I didn't like The Magician's Apprentice at all. However, a draft of the script appeared online not too long ago, and it works much, much better on paper.

I'm glad it's not just me - we shot 3+4 first followed by 1+2 and I felt like 1+2 were a big improvement on paper, but it's hard to argue that the actual result was the other way around (the diector of 1+2 was excellent btw so I don't think blame can be laid at her feet)

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

In enjoyed a lot of the individual scenes in the first two-parter but it felt disjointed as a whole. The plot kindof felt like it was zigzagging rather than progressing at times.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
On no goddamn planet is 3+4 better than 1+2, because after the 5-minute mark 4 is terrible and makes 3 worse in retrospect. 1 and 2 may not be a perfect execution of the two-parter mandate but they're certainly the more enjoyable 90 minutes.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

The thing that most bothered me about this was the guy doing the bad Terry Wogan impression.

Really? That and the misdirect of the Doctor and Mel having to find a fill-in for the Earth entry are my favourite parts. (You're meant to think Mel's going to perform, because if anyone in thread doesn't know, Bonnie is an ex-musical theatre star,.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

saucerman posted:

You should read RTD's Writer's Tale. To my recollection, a large part of it is him panicking over missed deadlines.

• Locked thread