Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

At first, it was shocking to me that 56 people died because it looks like the police were evacuating people pretty efficiently.

But then I saw how rapidly the fire spread :stare: ... if you weren't lucky enough to be near the front so you could escape onto the field, or if you tried to exit from the inside, you'd be hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

FourLeaf posted:

At first, it was shocking to me that 56 people died because it looks like the police were evacuating people pretty efficiently.

But then I saw how rapidly the fire spread :stare: ... if you weren't lucky enough to be near the front so you could escape onto the field, or if you tried to exit from the inside, you'd be hosed.

It looks like a bunch of people didn't assess the danger correctly because the fire spread in large part UNDER the stands, so people on the far side did see how big and dangerous the fire was for some time.

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006
One of the more unnerving things I've ever purposefully done to myself was getting a "crowd manager" certification - basically how to check for proper exits for the crowds you're handling, how to properly set up temporary barriers to prevent them from being the cause of everyone dying in case of a fire, so on and so forth. Part of the certification involved listening to a long section of audio from the Station nightclub fire. It was unpleasant, to say the least, and I've responded in person to situations ranging from attempted murder to some very hosed up domestic situations.

The audio is out there, for anyone morbid enough to go looking. I don't recommend it. I've never really had a strong stomach for listening to things where people are completely helpless, and so I'm not going to give you guys the link to inflict it on yourselves.

Also, please, when you go out anywhere new, ESPECIALLY crowded areas like concert venues, please know your exits. The nearest exit is probably not the way you went in. And if there's a fire, and some fuckboy bouncer is trying to stop you from going out an exit because "it's for the band"? Knock that fucker down and get out that door. The assault charges, if they come, are less perilous than literally dying in a fire. (Seriously - the fact that bouncers blocked an exit means that they straight up murdered people. People died as a direct result of that decision. I use it as a teaching tool when I'm training new private security officers - that you have to know when to bend the rules, and letting people out of a burning building is one of those times.)

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

Rondette posted:

There was an article a few years ago, I think it would have been 2009, the twentieth anniversary, which had survivor accounts. They were absolutely harrowing, and I remember reading it on the train and nearly crying. I can't imagine anything worse than what those people went through.

http://hillsborough.independent.gov.uk/repository/docs/LCS000001110001.pdf

Read it and weep. Awful.

loving hell. I was in tears reading that, what a horrific thing to have to witness. I knew about the Hillsborough disaster in passing, but I was young when it happened so I never knew much past it being a tragedy at a football game.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
For about 2 years I had the Hillsborough 30 for 30 on my DVR. I watched part of it but could never bring myself to finish it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Rondette posted:

There was an article a few years ago, I think it would have been 2009, the twentieth anniversary, which had survivor accounts. They were absolutely harrowing, and I remember reading it on the train and nearly crying. I can't imagine anything worse than what those people went through.

http://hillsborough.independent.gov.uk/repository/docs/LCS000001110001.pdf

Read it and weep. Awful.

quote:

Inbetween the men I saw a young woman with blonde hair, her face was becoming distorted with the pressure from bodies, because of the pressure on her head, it lOoked as though her eyes were being forced out, the pain in her eyes captivated and stunned me. I looked down her body on the bars, it was in a horrible, tangled, twisted shape. Occasionally the crowd of bodies would move and her body would change shape, whenever her body changed shape she would give the most horrifying scream or cry. I felt frozen,
unable to move or help anyone. No words can possibly come close to describing the
feelings I had watching other supporters being tortured to death. I stood there
watching a supporter go through hell on the otherside of the fence, knowing that
although we were both alive experiencing this nightmare, within minutes I would still
be alive and the other person would die, then I'd watch it happen to someone else, again and again, everywhere on the fence.

quote:

One supporter was trying to lift a man’s body through the gate in my pen but was struggling as the gate was quite high off the floor. The man’s sweat shirt had been pulled over his head. I and a few other supporters ran down the the gate to help him. As I lifted the body it felt freezing cold, I could feel the man’s rib’s were in pieces, his body was covered in blue patches, wherever someone had their hands his body would give in, nowhere looked firm. Two supporters on the touchline pulled the body through the gate, the' man’s sweat-shirt fell off his head, his eyes were still open, his face was a greyish white colour and his lips were dark purple, his mouth was open.

Chichevache has a new favorite as of 11:21 on Nov 24, 2015

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Zero One posted:

For about 2 years I had the Hillsborough 30 for 30 on my DVR. I watched part of it but could never bring myself to finish it.

I just finished it a few moments ago, I started watching it yesterday afternoon but I kept having to turn it off and listen to some music or something because yeah, it's harrowing as gently caress. I thought it would get 'easier' once it got past the breakdown of the day, but the aftermath and obfuscation of truth by the media and police was just as shocking. I was 9 when Hillsborough happened so I was aware of it and of course the aftermath, but that documentary showed just why the people of Liverpool hate the Sun newspaper and the police so much. Christ. It's a total pro-watch, but I can't say I'd recommend it in one whole go. My soul couldn't take it.

Edit- I see David Duckenfield copped for it in the end

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31928476

quote:

The Hillsborough police match commander has agreed his failure to close a tunnel "was the direct cause of the deaths of 96 people".
David Duckenfield also accepted he "froze" during the afternoon of the 1989 football disaster.
Mr Duckenfield was giving evidence for a sixth day at the new Hillsborough inquests in Warrington, Cheshire.
He was being questioned by Paul Greaney QC on behalf of the Police Federation of England and Wales.
Mr Duckenfield, now 70, had earlier denied claims he "bottled it" and "panicked" as the disaster unfolded.
'Under pressure'
The jury was told the former chief superintendent had at least three minutes to "consider the consequences" of opening an exit gate at the stadium, as a crowd of fans built up outside.
Mr Greaney suggested a child of "average intelligence" could have realised what would happen when the gate, which allowed up to 2,000 fans to enter, was opened.
But Mr Duckenfield said he did "not think of it on the day" because of the pressure he was under.
Hillsborough police match commander David Duckenfield
Image caption
An artist's impression of Mr Duckenfield giving evidence at the new inquests into the disaster
Hillsborough disaster
Image caption
Ninety-six Liverpool fans died in the 1989 disaster at Hillsborough stadium in Sheffield
He had "no idea" Liverpool fans would head through the gate for a tunnel which led to the already-packed terraces, he told the jury.
When asked by Mr Greaney if his failure to take steps to close the tunnel entrance was the direct cause of the deaths of 96 people, Mr Duckenfield replied "yes sir".
Ninety-six Liverpool fans died after crushing at the FA Cup semi final match between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest held at Hillsborough.
Mr Greaney asked Mr Duckenfield if he had been incompetent in his role on the day of the disaster.
'Simply froze'
The retired officer answered: "I think it is a view some would agree with sir."
Mr Greaney accused Mr Duckenfield of "concealing" his full knowledge of the geography of the ground from the jury, which he denied.
When asked by the barrister if he "simply froze", Mr Duckenfield said he thought it would be "fair to say that we were all in a state of shock."
It was the match commander's job to "get past any feelings of shock", Mr Greaney said.
"Yes, sir, but I am human," Mr Duckenfield replied.
Court sketch of John Beggs QC
Image caption
John Beggs QC, representing Mr Duckenfield, asked him if he understood the impact of his delayed apology
Earlier in the inquests, he admitted he had lied about fans forcing an exit gate open to enter the ground.
He issued a long apology to the families of the victims, who have been campaigning for 26 years to establish more detail about what happened during the disaster.
John Beggs QC, representing Mr Duckenfield, said: "I think you understand, don't you, why the delay in providing a more gracious and more full apology has caused to many both offence and distress? You understand that?"
"I fully understand that sir," Mr Duckenfield said.
The jury heard how the former police officer struggled to sleep in the run-up to the 1989 Taylor Inquiry into the disaster, and at one stage was drinking "half tumblers of whisky" to "find the courage" to read statements.
The court heard he was medically retired from South Yorkshire Police on 10 November 1991, two years after being suspended from duty.
He was certified by a force doctor as "unfit to undertake the duties of a police constable" and was diagnosed with "severe depression and post-traumatic stress disorder".
Who were the 96 victims?
The 96 victims of the Hillsborough disaster
BBC News: Profiles of all those who died
Mr Duckenfield agreed he saw his diagnosis as a "sign of weakness" and tried to "conceal" his conditions from his family and colleagues.
He said it was a "matter of pride" and that he was "very ashamed and embarrassed by it all".
The jury has also heard Mr Duckenfield was interviewed under criminal caution in March last year by officers from Operation Resolve, the ongoing police inquiry into the disaster.
Mr Beggs asked him whether it had "been easy for the last five and a half days to admit that your professional failings led to the deaths of 96 innocent men, women and children and injuries to many more".
"Has that been easy, Mr Duckenfield, for you?" he said.
"Sir, it's been the most difficult period of my life," Mr Duckenfield said.
The inquests are scheduled to continue on Wednesday.

It's funny (well not funny but you know what I mean) to think, had two officers not pranked a junior officer, none of this would probably have ever happened.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/07/most-experienced-police-commander-prank-transfer-hillsborough-disaster

quote:

The South Yorkshire police chief superintendent who had experience of commanding football matches at Hillsborough was transferred 19 days before the 1989 FA Cup semi-final, shortly after officers in his division played a brutal "prank" on a probationary constable involving a gun.

The inquest into how 96 Liverpool supporters died at that 1989 match was told that in Ch Supt Brian Mole's F division, four officers had to resign and seven were disciplined after the prank, which occured in October 1988, came to light.

Patrick Roche, a barrister representing 75 families who lost loved ones in the disaster, asking a former South Yorkshire police chief inspector, David Beal, about the prank, said: "A number of police officers, colleagues of that unfortunate probationary constable, decided to subject him to a fake robbery. They got hold of him, they blindfolded him, handcuffed him and led him to believe he was being threatened with a gun. They even pulled down his trousers and photographed him."

Beal, who was serving in Mole's division based at Sheffield's Hammerton Road police station, said he could recollect that incident. Roche said there was no suggestion that Mole himself was involved in the prank in any way, but asked: "Is it the case that Ch Supt Mole was transferred because there was unhappiness in the way the aftermath of that matter had been handled?" Beal replied: "That is not my knowledge of it. I understand he was transferred for career development reasons."

Mole, who at the time commanded every football match at Sheffield Wednesday's Hillsborough ground, including the 1987 and 1988 FA Cup semi-finals, was replaced on 27 March 1989, by Ch Supt David Duckenfield. The inquest jury, of seven women and four men, has heard that Duckenfield had never commanded a match at Hillsborough before. Duckenfield's own QC, John Beggs, has said Duckenfield received "very little, if any, training" before taking over as match commander so soon before the 54,000 sell-out semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest on 15 April 1989.

Beal, who wrote the operational plan for the 1989 match, recalled the hazing incident and the officers being disciplined, but said he did not believe that was why Mole was replaced. He said he thought Mole had been transferred to Barnsley, after Hillsborough was selected as the venue for the match, and after the first match planning meeting on 22 March 1989, to further his career.

"Was it somewhat surprising that he was transferred with effect from March 27, between the selection of the venue and the match itself?" Roche asked.

"It was surprising to me, yes," said Beal, who described the South Yorkshire police then as "regimented".

"Because Ch Supt Mole was a highly experienced officer, who presided over the two previous semi-finals?"

"Absolutely, yes," Beal replied.

There was, Beal agreed, nothing to prevent Mole being retained as the match commander for the 15 April match despite his transfer to Barnsley, but that did not happen, and Duckenfield took over. Roche said that the minutes of the first police meeting, on 22 March 1989, to plan their operation for the semi-final, had gone missing. Beal said he believed that Duckenfield had been present, confirming that it was an "extremely important" meeting, the start of the planning process.

"So you would expect there to be minutes, to record who was present at that meeting?" Roche asked.

"Yes," Beal replied.

"Unfortunately we don't have minutes of that meeting. I don't suppose you have any idea where they might have gone?"

"No," he said.

Beal was also asked about another South Yorkshire police chief inspector, Frank Brayford. Roche said Brayford would have been a candidate to be a senior officer at the semi-final, but was transferred, and the inquest may hear evidence that this was because Duckenfield did not like him. Beal replied of Brayford: "No, he was transferred because of his behaviour, because of impropriety."

The inquest continues.

EDIT- By the way, thanks to whoever mentioned those 30 for 30 docs, despite not really having that much of an interest in sports, there are some really interesting looking documentaries in there. I'm just starting the OJ one.

Rondette has a new favorite as of 12:42 on Nov 24, 2015

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

There are a few goons who lost family and/or friends at Hillsborough. There will be no forgiveness for those guilty, for the papers that slandered the victims, and for Thatcher's government using it in their ongoing culture-war against the North.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

lenoon posted:

There are a few goons who lost family and/or friends at Hillsborough. There will be no forgiveness for those guilty, for the papers that slandered the victims, and for Thatcher's government using it in their ongoing culture-war against the North.

The paper, sure - but the problem is more systemic than particularly pointed towards any given person.

Most people simply do not understand how dangerous a crowd crush is - I certainly didn't before reading articles about them linked in this and other threads. The media is complicit to some degree for their constant reporting of "trampling" when a crowd crush occurs - implying that people are killed because of a mad, frenzied rush - when a crowd crush is caused by a large number of people providing steady forward pressure.

While, yes, the people in charge made numerous bad decisions on the day in question, the one thing that is overwhelmingly clear from the day-of account posted earlier is that none of the police officers understood how dangerous the situation was. It becomes very clear reading over it that none of them even understood that a crowd crush can lead to fatalities, because it is counterintuitive that it does so.

The failures in this type of situation are an interconnected web that involves everyone involved in running the event - from the people who planned the stadium, to the people who planned the entrance paths on that day, to the police themselves. The great failing is that there's just no way that the policeman in charge had ever had exactly what a crowd crush is thoroughly explained, let alone had thorough training in the prevention and management of them.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea its a very tough thing to get your head around, the idea of being in such a packed group of people that you literally can't expand your lungs to breathe. All I can do is imagine my own experiences at certain concerts where I was uncomfortable and maybe a little overheated because of the crowd, but its just not even the same ballpark, its apples and oranges.

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:
So uh...ahem...how about those ghost flights, eh Kermit? Heh heh...

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Basebf555 posted:

Yea its a very tough thing to get your head around, the idea of being in such a packed group of people that you literally can't expand your lungs to breathe. All I can do is imagine my own experiences at certain concerts where I was uncomfortable and maybe a little overheated because of the crowd, but its just not even the same ballpark, its apples and oranges.

and it's all just from people just kinda bunching up in the same direction

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k
I'm fairly small and have been at a few shows where, upon reaching the front near the stage, have been squeezed against the barriers or fences so much that I found it hard to breathe, and one time I was bent nearly into a 90 degree angle over one, my legs completely pinned. I had big bar-like bruises afterwards. It was terrifying because at that point there's nothing you can do except hope people shuffle back or someone in security starts to act.
Now I find balconies or open areas to watch from.

Oh yeah, on the last day of school I gave my seniors some pieces of advice for life, and one was "always know your exits". Metaphorically and literally.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I once got crushed at the front of a gig. It was loving terrifying as you each breathe gets a bit smaller as the crush increases. Then you get a tunnel vision blackout that looks exactly like the end of a Looney Tunes cartoon.

Fortunately a bouncer dragged me over the front and i woke up in the nurses room with blue lips.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

The media is complicit to some degree for their constant reporting of "trampling" when a crowd crush occurs - implying that people are killed because of a mad, frenzied rush - when a crowd crush is caused by a large number of people providing steady forward pressure.

I find the term "Stampede", which is so often used in headlines about crowd crush disasters, offensive for this reason.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

slinkimalinki posted:

I find the term "Stampede", which is so often used in headlines about crowd crush disasters, offensive for this reason.

Yup! You might in the back of your head know "a person was trampled to death at a Walmart on Black Friday." - especially because the media was basically looking for that narrative when it happened.*

Here's an article on it and other crushes: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2011/02/07/crush-point
(a bit :nms: for some, it starts with a picture from Hillsborough)

And here's an article calling it a stampede!
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/worker-dies-long-island-wal-mart-trampled-black-friday-stampede-article-1.334059

The comments on that second one, as with every article I've ever seen about it, are filled with THOSE SHOPPER SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF THEMSELVES!!!! posts. But that's not what happened. The line was setup wrong, and the employees even did a countdown to the doors opening. People were ready to move forward in line - like we've all been hundreds of times - and they all crowded forwarded at the same time. Collectively, the caused the doors to burst off their hinges. The only mad rush was the people in the front trying not to get killed by the people in the back.

* Incidents of retail violence don't see a significant increase on Black Friday, but the news makes sure you hear about every one! Gotta make sure the news fits the narrative!

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
While it's not the same as a stampede, do crushes depend on there being a few assholes in the back who start pushing? If I knew that doors were open ahead, I still wouldn't step forward to smoosh my chest to the shoulder blades of the person in front of me. There would have to be someone pushing me from behind for that to happen.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I once got crushed at the front of a gig. It was loving terrifying as you each breathe gets a bit smaller as the crush increases. Then you get a tunnel vision blackout that looks exactly like the end of a Looney Tunes cartoon.

Fortunately a bouncer dragged me over the front and i woke up in the nurses room with blue lips.

It's terrifying how quickly people turn into cattle when you have a large crowd. If you don't give clear direction, people just aimlessly crowd forward and block everything causing tremendous problems. I once waited in a traffic jam to leave a festival for 4 hours because no-one could be bothered to direct traffic and it jammed up everything all the way to the interstate.

On a smaller scale, I was directing traffic for a memorial service some years ago with a hundred or so people attending. I walked away for 5 minutes to help an older gentleman to get out of their car. By the time I got to my spot, the entrance had been blocked with several parked cars and people were just packing themselves in wherever they fit. Crowd mentality is madness.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Phyzzle posted:

While it's not the same as a stampede, do crushes depend on there being a few assholes in the back who start pushing? If I knew that doors were open ahead, I still wouldn't step forward to smoosh my chest to the shoulder blades of the person in front of me. There would have to be someone pushing me from behind for that to happen.

It's usually not "pushing", it's the casual "scooting up" that you do to get closer. Somebody moves slightly forward behind you, so you usually scoot up just a little bit. Nobody's being that active in it.

edit: pretty sure the tipping point is when people NEAR the back, but not at the very back, lean forward a bit too much and half fall, which creates a domino effect. People just need to be packed in pretty tight and all headed towards a point that they can't all get through at a solid rate.

theflyingorc has a new favorite as of 20:11 on Nov 24, 2015

Tehdas
Dec 30, 2012

theflyingorc posted:

While, yes, the people in charge made numerous bad decisions on the day in question, the one thing that is overwhelmingly clear from the day-of account posted earlier is that none of the police officers understood how dangerous the situation was. It becomes very clear reading over it that none of them even understood that a crowd crush can lead to fatalities, because it is counterintuitive that it does so.

I'm sure the layperson of the times wouldn't know about crowd crush, but the institutions (police, stadium management, etc) knew about it and didn't stop it. If the individuals involved didn't know, then it's a failing of the people higher up in placing the individuals at that point in time.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Tehdas posted:

I'm sure the layperson of the times wouldn't know about crowd crush, but the institutions (police, stadium management, etc) knew about it and didn't stop it. If the individuals involved didn't know, then it's a failing of the people higher up in placing the individuals at that point in time.

In 1989? No, not really. The New Yorker article I linked talks at length about how we've really only collectively understood crushes very recently. The previous default response to one was "blame the crowd for being hooligans".

Nobody AT ALL took crushes seriously until after a concert by The Who in 1979.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Tehdas posted:

The previous, very experience, superintendent who had overseen the last two semi-finals at Hillsborough had just been transferred out of the area and the new guy had never been in charge of a match. Coppers on the ground are about as knowledgeable about overcrowding as the average punter, even the without overall command issues. To add to that the stadium had no safety certificate due to previous crushes where people were injured. It was a perfect shitstorm really.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

theflyingorc posted:

Nobody AT ALL took crushes seriously until after a concert by The Who in 1979.

Yup, this. I believe that event was the catalyst for studying that phenomenon and how to prevent and react to such events. If I'm not mistaken, that incident is still being used as a teaching model. It may seem minor by today's standards, but at the time it was a pretty big deal. And not to sound like that "My uncle works at Nintendo" guy, but I really do have an uncle who was there. He's the kind of guy who's late for everything, so he actually didn't get there until the aftermath, and he somehow took it as a sign that being a lazy stoner saved his life, so... yea, he's still a lazy stoner. :420:

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

theflyingorc posted:

Here's an article on it and other crushes: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2011/02/07/crush-point
(a bit :nms: for some, it starts with a picture from Hillsborough)

Jesus yeah, pretty sure at least two of the people in that picture are dead.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Whether they knew what was happening or not, the systematic coverup that occurred afterwards shows that the powers that be knew exactly where blame rested - with the police - who have now (slightly), and after years of fabrication, dissembling and lies, admitted that their actions and inaction up to and including during the crush itself, cost lives. They could have acted to alleviate the pressure, they could have evacuated the wounded before they died on the pitch, they could have rushed to help and done something - but instead they stood and watched, and then participated in the largest systematic and organised coverup in British policing history. For all that a crush is an unpredictable and difficult to deal with event (even though prompt police action could have saved lives) there is still guilt, there is still culpability and there are still 96 manslaughter charges yet to be laid against the police - and charges that still could be made of perverting the course of justice against virtually every police officer in South Yorkshire at the time.

lenoon has a new favorite as of 01:12 on Nov 25, 2015

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

lenoon posted:

Whether they knew what was happening or not, the systematic coverup that occurred afterwards shows that the powers that be knew exactly where blame rested - with the police - who have now (slightly), and after years of fabrication, dissembling and lies, admitted that their actions and inaction up to and including during the crush itself, cost lives. They could have acted to alleviate the pressure, they could have evacuated the wounded before they died on the pitch, they could have rushed to help and done something - but instead they stood and watched, and then participated in the largest systematic and organised coverup in British policing history. For all that a crush is an unpredictable and difficult to deal with event (even though prompt police action could have saved lives) there is still guilt, there is still culpability and there are still 96 manslaughter charges yet to be laid against the police - and charges that still could be made of perverting the course of justice against virtually every police officer in South Yorkshire at the time.

So who in your family died there?

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Uncle. Doesn't make any of it less true for all that.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

A crowd crush helped the heavily outnumbered English army beat the French at the Battle of Agincourt.

The French were so confident of victory that most of their knights and nobility lined up near the front of the battle lines, hoping to have the best chance of capturing English nobility for ransom. However, the English army had set up a defense in a good spot in a valley that narrowed as you approached their position, with longbowmen holding the hills on the flanks. Also helping the English was the weather, which had turned parts of the valley into mudpits.

As the French assaulted the English position, those at the front were slowed up by the marshy terrain, while those at the back were still charging forward to get their chance. This alone wouldn't have hurt the French, but the shape of the valley and the waves of arrows from the longbowmen combined to funnel the French flanks inwards. This started a crush, which began to push over the knights wading through the mud at the front. Before fighting even started with the English, many of the best and most heavily armored French soldiers were dead, having either been crushed in crowd or trampled into the mud by the surging crowd.

The English army routed the disorganized French army a short battle of hand to hand fighting and not only survived what would have been a fatal blow to the House of Lancaster's claim on the French throne, but put them in a position to strengthen their claim. The French nobility (i.e. the administrators) in the region of the battle was decimated in the battle (mostly trampled/suffocated/drowned in the mud), leaving the English with solid control over the territory.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Venusian Weasel posted:

A crowd crush helped the heavily outnumbered English army beat the French at the Battle of Agincourt.

The French were so confident of victory that most of their knights and nobility lined up near the front of the battle lines, hoping to have the best chance of capturing English nobility for ransom. However, the English army had set up a defense in a good spot in a valley that narrowed as you approached their position, with longbowmen holding the hills on the flanks. Also helping the English was the weather, which had turned parts of the valley into mudpits.

As the French assaulted the English position, those at the front were slowed up by the marshy terrain, while those at the back were still charging forward to get their chance. This alone wouldn't have hurt the French, but the shape of the valley and the waves of arrows from the longbowmen combined to funnel the French flanks inwards. This started a crush, which began to push over the knights wading through the mud at the front. Before fighting even started with the English, many of the best and most heavily armored French soldiers were dead, having either been crushed in crowd or trampled into the mud by the surging crowd.

The English army routed the disorganized French army a short battle of hand to hand fighting and not only survived what would have been a fatal blow to the House of Lancaster's claim on the French throne, but put them in a position to strengthen their claim. The French nobility (i.e. the administrators) in the region of the battle was decimated in the battle (mostly trampled/suffocated/drowned in the mud), leaving the English with solid control over the territory.

Was there any particular reason that the French needed to attack at that time? Could they have delayed until conditions were more favorable or did they think they were just going to walk it and win?

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
It was either attack right now or surrender

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

ultrabindu posted:

Was there any particular reason that the French needed to attack at that time? Could they have delayed until conditions were more favorable or did they think they were just going to walk it and win?

By modern accounts the French outnumbered the English by anywhere from 2 to 1, to 6 to 1. That's (usually!) a pretty drat good reason to attack.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.

ultrabindu posted:

Both really - the English provoked them into attacking since they knew the French were stronger on the defence but the French knights completely disregarded the archers which made up the bulk of the English army. IIRC this was the beginning of the end for chivalry, as the noblemen in full plate were effectively massacred by lightly armoured peasants at range.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

8 Ball posted:

Both really - the English provoked them into attacking since they knew the French were stronger on the defence but the French knights completely disregarded the archers which made up the bulk of the English army. IIRC this was the beginning of the end for chivalry, as the noblemen in full plate were effectively massacred by lightly armoured peasants at range.

Except like Venusian Weasel said above, it wasn't really the longbows that killed them. Although they helped contribute, most of the 'killing' by the English troops proper was done in melee range after the exhausted French reached them.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

8 Ball posted:

:lol: at chivalry ever existing. Sir Thomas Malory made that poo poo up.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Since we are discussing crowd crush I have some lovely morning commute footage for you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlNyCHlLt1Y

Fun water park!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inA-36YRV0Y

Fake edit: no one is hurt, but boy did I hyperventilate through both these vids! Fun!

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

Since we are discussing crowd crush I have some lovely morning commute footage for you!

Fun water park!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inA-36YRV0Y

Fake edit: no one is hurt, but boy did I hyperventilate through both these vids! Fun!

Do the Japanese have some sort of weird adaptation to being crammed together like sardines? Also that pool "water" in the second one has to be 90% urine

pack it yo
Aug 6, 2007

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

boy did I hyperventilate through both these vids!

After reading the firsthand account & watching the 30 for 30 on the Hillsborough disaster... :stare:

While searching for the reason that I never see Halloween-themed Bic lighters, I stumbled on this article from April of 1987 about Bic lighters exploding in people's pockets and hands, how the "body count" was deemed too low for recalls, and how the company paid off a gently caress ton of people in lawsuits. At some point it looks like they decided to add something called a fork spring to better control the gas valve-- although the article seems to be written before that change took place.

quote:

About 4 a.m. on Oct. 28, 1984, Kenneth Lovli stopped to light a cigarette after leaving a friend's Halloween party in Clearwater, Fla. Lovli flicked his Bic disposable lighter and in seconds he was on fire. When police and paramedics arrived, they found the handsome, 23-year-old engineering student standing dazed in the middle of the street. He was burned from his neck to his knees. Seventeen days later, Lovli died.

quote:

The defect keeps the lighter from automatically shutting off after the thumb lever that controls the flow of butane fuel is released. When the automatic shut-off does not seal properly, a small blue flame keeps burning below the wind shield of the lighter. Known in the industry as afterburn or failure to extinguish, this defect can also result in small explosions and flash fires as the lighter overheats and melts or ruptures the plastic cylinder holding the butane. The problem can be especially deadly if it occurs in a user's pocket or purse. Because liquid butane vaporizes into a gas that is two to three times heavier than air, it will accumulate in the area of the spill, forming a cloud of gas that can be ignited by a spark, including static electricity.

quote:

While playing outside her home in Westport, Ky., the 9-year-old found a Bic lighter on the side of a road and picked it up. When she flicked it, the lighter sprayed butane "like a flamethrower" onto her chest, face and neck, according to her attorney and court records in the case.
"I struck the lighter once and then the next thing I knew, I was on fire and my brother pushed me in the creek,"
she said in a sworn statement to a Bic attorney. The blonde, blue-eyed girl received second- and third-degree burns over 34 percent of her body. She now has thick scar tissue covering those areas, including the left side of her face and almost her entire chest.

quote:

...in a statement last week, issued in response to questions from The Inquirer about the lighter's safety, Bic said: "Whenever a person uses a match or a lighter, he or she is creating a spark or flame, and fire, of course, is inherently dangerous. It is the very nature of lighters and matches which make them dangerous and demands the utmost in caution from the people who use them."

Interesting little bit of history...

pack it yo has a new favorite as of 01:17 on Nov 26, 2015

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

pack it yo posted:

..in a statement last week, issued in response to questions from The Inquirer about the lighter's safety, Bic said: "Whenever a person uses a match or a lighter, he or she is creating a spark or flame, and fire, of course, is inherently dangerous. It is the very nature of lighters and matches which make them dangerous and demands the utmost in caution from the people who use them."

That's like their razors randomly decapitating people by ejecting the blades at them and Bic going, "Well you know, razors are sharp and can be dangerous so it's your own fault if you're not careful and our razor malfunctions and chops off your head."

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.

DandyLion posted:

Except like Venusian Weasel said above, it wasn't really the longbows that killed them. Although they helped contribute, most of the 'killing' by the English troops proper was done in melee range after the exhausted French reached them.

Maybe not the longbows as such but the longbowmen themselves :) Just a bunch of dudes in boiled leather or whatever going round and bashing in the heads of knights too weak to respond.

8 Ball has a new favorite as of 13:43 on Nov 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

theflyingorc posted:

The paper, sure - but the problem is more systemic than particularly pointed towards any given person.

Most people simply do not understand how dangerous a crowd crush is - I certainly didn't before reading articles about them linked in this and other threads. The media is complicit to some degree for their constant reporting of "trampling" when a crowd crush occurs - implying that people are killed because of a mad, frenzied rush - when a crowd crush is caused by a large number of people providing steady forward pressure.

The failures in this type of situation are an interconnected web that involves everyone involved in running the event - from the people who planned the stadium, to the people who planned the entrance paths on that day, to the police themselves. The great failing is that there's just no way that the policeman in charge had ever had exactly what a crowd crush is thoroughly explained, let alone had thorough training in the prevention and management of them.

Dear god that's horrifying. People being brutally crushed and asphyxiated as they scream for help... and there's no dramatic cause. No stampede, no fire, no running from an explosion. Just a human tide slowly pushing forward. Just one person crowding another into pushing another into pushing harder on another into crushing another alive. The people at the back don't even realize they're obliterating people up front.

:stare: