Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

The_Doctor posted:

I see you picked the worst photo for him.

That's him the last time he appeared in Doctor Who, in The Sea Devils :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Riptor posted:

excited for Plump Man

It must suck to be a Time Lord and for your name to be the Plump Man. Especially if you then regenerated into a skinny woman.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

So this christmas this is happening.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I gotta say, they actually look kinda cute together.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

HD DAD posted:

I gotta say, they actually look kinda cute together.

He's now the older looking half. :allears:

I'm loving this image, by the way.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I'm legitimately surprised nobody posted this quote followed by a bunch of hair pulling and hand wringing that we could have been rid of Moffat:

Steven Moffat posted:

I’ll be honest, I brought River Song back in because I thought there was a possibility I’d never write [Doctor Who] again so that’d be my goodbye. But also, I really fancied it.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Guy A. Person posted:

I'm legitimately surprised nobody posted this quote followed by a bunch of hair pulling and hand wringing that we could have been rid of Moffat:

If it's his Swan song, then hell. Bring back River.

But, like Clara, he's hard to kill.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Kilo147 posted:

If it's his Swan song, then hell. Bring back River.

But, like Clara, he's hard to kill.

Also like Clara I expect his departure to be underwhelming and drawn out far too long.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Kithkar posted:

So this christmas this is happening.

I see the Christmas special will keep up the tradition of being terrible then.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I see the Christmas special will keep up the tradition of being terrible then.

Do we know anything about it beyond this one picture?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

jivjov posted:

Do we know anything about it beyond this one picture?

No, but because River is in it apparently that means it has to suck.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Sometimes River is Good. Sometimes she's bad. Like every other major character in Doctor Who. Except Adric. Adric is always Terrible.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
It would be interesting if this is their first and essentially final encounter for them.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mooseontheloose posted:

It would be interesting if this is their first and essentially final encounter for them.

We have already seen both of those

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

TL posted:

No, but because River is in it apparently that means it has to suck.

There's nothing else to tell with the character, she's played in an insufferable and obnoxious way, her shtick of knowing things the doctor doesn't know is old and tired by now, and her own continuity makes little sense even by Who standards. The only reason she's coming back is because she's a tumblr fan favorite and she's a pet character for Moffat. I'm tired of the same handful of characters showing up every season.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Mooseontheloose posted:

First from the Doctor's point of view: Silence in the Library.
First from River's point of view: Let's Kill Hitler.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Sometimes River is Good. Sometimes she's bad. Like every other major character in Doctor Who. Except Adric. Adric is always Terrible.
River was great in the Library 2-parter. And Adric was good in Earthshock.

If he hands it off to Gatiss I bet he would do an alright job. I can't think of anyone else I'd pick apart from Terrance Dicks.

Dr. Gene Dango MD fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Nov 25, 2015

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

River was great in the Library 2-parter. And Adric was good in Earthshock.

Adric was never good. River was great in that 2-parter.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There's nothing else to tell with the character, she's played in an insufferable and obnoxious way, her shtick of knowing things the doctor doesn't know is old and tired by now,

Agreed, but I'm hoping that she can express a different side around Capaldi, if only because the last Doctor she had interacted with was a significantly different personality. Twelve has far less tolerance for games, and one could argue (if one is feeling generous about Moffat's skills and intentions) that River's origin predisposes her toward giving each iteration of the Doctor what he wants: so she was smug and childish around Eleven so he could lose himself in the adventure and play at being a child. While preserving "spoilers" is all part of the game for Eleven, Twelve would be much more likely to simply demand any and all information immediately, before anyone else dies unnecessarily.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Adric was never good. River was great in that 2-parter.

I thought about it, and you are right Adric was never good.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

I thought about it, and you are right Adric was never good.

I don't know, his death was pretty good.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dirt posted:

I don't know, his death was pretty good.

He was the Boy that time forgot.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

First from the Doctor's point of view: Silence in the Library.
First from River's point of view: Let's Kill Hitler.

Good lord Moffat hosed up River's concept so much.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'm tired of the same handful of characters showing up every season.

I don't think this is a really valid complaint anymore. River hasn't appeared since the end of Matt Smith's run, and according to what little we've heard this sounds like a swansong for her. The paternoster gang only showed up at the beginning of last season and allegedly won't appear anytime soon. The UNIT crew seems to be the new recurring guests I guess, and now Rigsy has appeared twice.

As usual, this is another thing that was a pattern during RTD's run (and was worse in my opinion) but gets complained about under Moffat because

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I think Capaldi's Doctor will play off RIver really well and bring out a new side of her. Seeing her interact with him will be great, in the way it always is when a Companion meets a new Doctor from their "regular" Doctor.

I kind of hope she's some sort of post-Library River though, so the baggage of their out of order meetings and "spoilers" will be gone.

Of course, if she's not, and unless there's some sort multi-Doc adventure style amnesia, she has a helluva spoiler she kept from 11 before his "death"...

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Guy A. Person posted:

I don't think this is a really valid complaint anymore. River hasn't appeared since the end of Matt Smith's run, and according to what little we've heard this sounds like a swansong for her. The paternoster gang only showed up at the beginning of last season and allegedly won't appear anytime soon. The UNIT crew seems to be the new recurring guests I guess, and now Rigsy has appeared twice.

As usual, this is another thing that was a pattern during RTD's run (and was worse in my opinion) but gets complained about under Moffat because

Have no fear, I complained about it under RTD's run too.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Rigsy is just a normal guy that has horrible loving luck with the entire hidden alien world constantly trying to kill him for no reason. I think it would be great to see him become a recurring character and see what else tries to murder him while he's just out minding his own business.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I thought Rigsy is supposed to be the new companion?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Rigsy isn't the next companion, he's 12's Craig.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I thought Rigsy is supposed to be the new companion?

Sadly not. That was the sole purpose of the baby scene, to show the audience that Rigsy couldn't just up and leave with the Doctor.

And River in the Xmas special is confirmed to be alive, pre-Library, immediately after Angels in Manhattan.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Mooseontheloose posted:

Good lord Moffat hosed up River's concept so much.

No he didn't. People made random judgements that were never supported then got mad when it turned out they were wrong

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
There is a synopsis up on the BBC website for the Xmas special, and apparently River doesn't know who the Doctor is for a part of the episode.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34910646

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Mr Beens posted:

There is a synopsis up on the BBC website for the Xmas special, and apparently River doesn't know who the Doctor is for a part of the episode.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34910646

quote:

King Hydroflax

Is Justin Roiland naming things this time?

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Greg Davies is so very, very good.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

echoplex posted:

Greg Davies is so very, very good.

Your Delo graphic from 'Raven' is everywhere on geek news sites. You must be very proud.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Adric was alright when he had Tom Baker to treat him like garbage, so, the run from Full Circle to Logopolis

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I would rather watch an entire season of The Adric Show than a single episode of Doctor Who with River in it.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I like River, and I like Peter Capaldi. I'm looking forward to Christmas.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

cargohills posted:

I like River, and I like Peter Capaldi. I'm looking forward to Christmas.

This. Hoping it's a bit lighter than the rest of this season has been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

The_Doctor posted:

Your Delo graphic from 'Raven' is everywhere on geek news sites. You must be very proud.

It's got a bit out of hand, so it's a tad embarrassing. My mum sent me a link to the Independent about it asking "is this you?". That sort of stuff I reserve for the throwaway background graphics, didn't plan for it to get out like this.

• Locked thread