Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

JT Jag posted:

Cruz scares me in a General more than either Trump or Carson, because while he's a slimy piece of poo poo with the most punchable face in the world he's smart and knows how to work the system.

He doesn't look very presidential either what with that marshmallow face. Sort of the opposite of Warren Harding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

computer parts posted:

There's not much proof he can actually work with people, which is what "work the system" usually means.

Not anymore, just change "people" to virtual interaction with fanatic crowd.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i doubt it, If they were wearing tac-gear and had guns on them, it show premeditation. they were looking to start poo poo and justify shooting a bunch "animals". these dudes will get prison time.

Ask any gun owner if wearing tac gear and carrying a gun is indicative of

A) Premeditation

or

B) Exercising your constitutional rights

The answer may not surprise you.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I don't think Cruz really knows how to work the system out of very specific environments like a court room or college debates. He seems like the type that is blinded by his own hubris and I can't think he shows much respect to people he works with. Add on he is a melty faced creep and I don't think he really has much legs once people actually start seeing him on a daily basis. It's how I felt about Walker; in theory he's solid but once people have to actually look and listen to the man he'll fall apart. He's not on Walker level because he's legitimately smart and Walker is a dullard but I think the end result will be the same.

I'm not sure who I fear more, a Trump or Cruz presidency since I think either would be similarly horrible: the flavor will be either theocratic or fiercely racist fascism.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

If my carrying a gun and silently stroking it while I stare at you with dead, vacant eyes frightens you, it isn't me who has the problem!

2ND AMENDMENT DON'T TREAD ON ME WATER THE TREE OF LIBERTY

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

DemeaninDemon posted:

He doesn't look very presidential either what with that marshmallow face. Sort of the opposite of Warren Harding.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Luigi Thirty posted:

The final verdict was 5 people shot. The family of the victim who was getting protested for in the first place wants the protests to end so nobody else will get hurt, according to the updated version of that Star-Tribune article.

Mission accomplished, sounds like.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Cruz can raise money. There's no evidence he's good at much else.

Pissing off libs.:colbert:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I dunno. The only real notable thing he's done was loving up Obama and Boehner's lovely Grand Bargain so I thank him for that. :unsmith:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fox Ironic posted:

These handful of radicalized groups THEN get EXCLUSIVE media attention, crowding out civil rights protesters in the media narrative and suddenly everybody and their grandmother think BLM is a Black Supremacy Movement that wants to legally privilege Blacks over Whites, which nobody in their right minds has any idea how to respond to without compromising the movement's momentum and suddenly, whelp, everything's gone to poo poo and I don't know what the gently caress is going to happen now.

I don't think it's an accident that the fringe of the movement gets the media attention, because it lets the movement as a whole be portrayed as a radicals that are dangerous and are not making good faith demands.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

comes along bort posted:

Pissing off libs.:colbert:

I'm actually a big Ted Cruz fan. I figure Texas is guaranteed to send a Republican to the Senate, so if they want to have one who spends his time insulting and funding primaries against his own party while failing to understand the basic rules of the body in which he serves, so much the better.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

I'm actually a big Ted Cruz fan. I figure Texas is guaranteed to send a Republican to the Senate, so if they want to have one who spends his time insulting and funding primaries against his own party while failing to understand the basic rules of the body in which he serves, so much the better.

Same here. Also reminds me how much we're gonna miss Harry Reid when he retires. He's the perfect foil to Ted's bumbling.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Ted Cruz is easily the best choice for democrats. Nobody in either party likes him, nobody in the country likes him, and he's probably the most conservative candidate so while conservatism can never be failed, Cruz losing by a landslide would be a real satisfying win.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

comes along bort posted:

Same here. Also reminds me how much we're gonna miss Harry Reid when he retires. He's the perfect foil to Ted's bumbling.

Ted's biggest strength is getting media attention, so he may yet meet his match in Chuck Schumer.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
At the very least he seems to be as much of a pain in the rear end to the RNC as the DNC.

Enormous piece of poo poo, though. He's just the worst and everyone who isn't a frothing-at-the-mouth Tea-guzzling lunatic hates him.

Gorilla Desperado
Oct 9, 2012

Joementum posted:

Ted's biggest strength is getting media attention, so he may yet meet his match in Chuck Schumer.

I could definitely imagine Cruz-Schumer clashing generating some significant lightning (still not happy about Schumer, notwithstanding)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Monkey Fracas posted:

At the very least he seems to be as much of a pain in the rear end to the RNC as the DNC.

Enormous piece of poo poo, though. He's just the worst and everyone who isn't a frothing-at-the-mouth Tea-guzzling lunatic hates him.

I do like how he has exactly one friend in the Senate.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
ACLU is suing Mike Pence for his Syrian Refugee Denial order.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I do like how he has exactly one friend in the Senate.

He's just trying to convert him.

It's Mike Lee from Utah right?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I can't wait to see what the various Republican campaigns will say about the BLM shooting. Here's my best guess:

Trump - "Our hearts go out to those affected by this latest tragedy, but this wouldn't have happened if the protesters weren't so violent."
Cruz - "<an ear-shattering scream from beyond death itself, which sounds to you almost like a cackle>"
Carson - "If people weren't so afraid to say what's on their mind, this wouldn't have happened."
Fox News - "The tree of patriotism must be watered with the blood of victims."

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

DemeaninDemon posted:

He's just trying to convert him.

It's Mike Lee from Utah right?

It is indeed. :3:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Vox link but here's a transcript of a journalist (well, I guess George Stephanopoulos is only loosely a journo) utter failing to confront Donald Trump on his blatant lies.

quote:

TRUMP: There were people that were cheering on the other side of New Jersey, where you have large Arab populations. They were cheering as the World Trade Center came down. I know it might be not politically correct for you to talk about it, but there were people cheering as that building came down — as those buildings came down. And that tells you something. It was well covered at the time, George.

Now, I know they don't like to talk about it, but it was well covered at the time.
There were people over in New Jersey that were watching it, a heavy Arab population, that were cheering as the buildings came down. Not good.
STEPHANOPOULOS: As I said, the police have said it didn't happen. But what I want to move on right now.

They do this so often, they have a list of poo poo they want to get to and so they just say "well, other sources disagree with you, lets move on" instead of saying "Hang on a sec..."

NO DON'T MAKE UP EUPHEMISMS FOR IT HE'S LYING HE'S TELLING LIES

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Ed Rendell lost a bet.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's the hole fo...oh no....

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Right after Paris, there were some links posted somewhere about how ISIS is losing ground and power and is on the brink of collapse, and that they're whining on Twitter about being bombed all the time and that even other terrorist groups are calling them out for being huge babies. I can't, for the life of me, find those links. Does anyone have them?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

SquadronROE posted:

I can't wait to see what the various Republican campaigns will say about the BLM shooting. Here's my best guess:

Trump - "Our hearts go out to those affected by this latest tragedy, but this wouldn't have happened if the protesters weren't so violent."
Cruz - "<an ear-shattering scream from beyond death itself, which sounds to you almost like a cackle>"
Carson - "If people weren't so afraid to say what's on their mind, this wouldn't have happened."
Fox News - "The tree of patriotism must be watered with the blood of victims."

Which BLM shooting are you referring to?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Geoff Peterson posted:

I look forward to the media inquires to Kroll, asking for confirmation that his White Supremacist organization was not the one involved in the shooting.

What makes you think the media would even consider doing this?

Luigi Thirty posted:

The final verdict was 5 people shot. The family of the victim who was getting protested for in the first place wants the protests to end so nobody else will get hurt, according to the updated version of that Star-Tribune article.

America, land of the Free, home of the Brave easily cowed.

The Kingfish posted:

That doesn't matter if the shooter felt like he couldn't get away.

Yeah it really does. I know you want to defend your fellow racists Trump supporters but short of video evidence showing the guys were being cut off and attacked they're up poo poo creek if they get caught. No sane person is going to believe that white supremacists went to a BLM protest and just happened to find themselves in a situation to shoot black people while coincidentally being armed and armored. Without SYG laws "I was being chances so I stopped and fired at those people" is not a very good defense even ignoring personal beliefs of the shooters.

JT Jag posted:

Cruz scares me in a General more than either Trump or Carson, because while he's a slimy piece of poo poo with the most punchable face in the world he's smart and knows how to work the system.

This is factually incorrect though. He's arrogant as gently caress and thinks he knows how to work the system. In reality him "working the system" results in things like Obama being able to get a bunch of confirmations that weren't going to happen otherwise. He's not quite as bad as Carson, but he has the same "I'm really good at X, so I'm also really good at A-W" mindset.

Cruz consistently burns bridges within his own party too. The establishment might hate Trump the most but Cruz is second on their shitlist.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Antti posted:

They probably committed the classic blunder of not asking white people whether they mean racism against white people when they say racism is a problem.

White people are not monolithic and evil. In general, most Americans truly believe that racism, including against black people, is a bad thing. The word "racism" has successfully become pathologized. The problem comes when connecting instances of racism with the concept of racism, as many people connect it with things like lunch counter sit-ins and water hoses, not the more subtle stuff which they don't encounter regularly. Terminological battles about what exactly counts as racism doesn't help matters.

It's also tricky because the word "racist" is so powerfully reviled that it makes it near-impossible for someone to recognize when they themselves have been racist. It'd be like calling yourself a murderer or a rapist, except lacking that comforting fuzz of implausibility. So cognitive biases get redirected full-force into denying that you were racist... which must, of course, mean that what you were doing wasn't racism. Rinse, repeat.

Quorum fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 24, 2015

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
So Ted Cruz is a PUA? I could see that.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yeah it really does. I know you want to defend your fellow racists Trump supporters but short of video evidence showing the guys were being cut off and attacked they're up poo poo creek if they get caught. No sane person is going to believe that white supremacists went to a BLM protest and just happened to find themselves in a situation to shoot black people while coincidentally being armed and armored. Without SYG laws "I was being chances so I stopped and fired at those people" is not a very good defense even ignoring personal beliefs of the shooters.

Minnesota imposes a duty to retreat. Another win for rule of law liberal pussies. :negative:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Evil Fluffy posted:

America, land of the Free, home of the Brave easily cowed.

They're planning to call it once the video that they want released is released. BLM's goals in this case have ostensibly been met by calling attention to it and getting the mayor to agree to let federal investigators examine the shooting.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Evil Fluffy posted:

There is no proof that they are white supremacists besides twitter hysteria. According to the witnesses from that youtube video, one of them even had a BLM sign. If those witnesses' stories match up with what happened then the shooters were being sketchy but not acting illegally when the protesters attacked them.

E: no corroboration that they were wearing armor from the youtube witnesses either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3-XIGJZMEI

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 24, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
From the top of Krugman's latest post:

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Kilroy posted:

How are you going to eat the rich if you can't shoot them first?

Giullotine, of course. We're not savages.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Bernie ordered fried chicken, dark meat, yams, rice and gravy at his Busy Bee summit with Killer Mike yesterday.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Quorum posted:

White people are not monolithic and evil. In general, most Americans truly believe that racism, including against black people, is a bad thing. The word "racism" has successfully become pathologized. The problem comes when connecting instances of racism with the concept of racism, as many people connect it with things like lunch counter sit-ins and water hoses, not the more subtle stuff which they don't encounter regularly. Terminological battles about what exactly counts as racism doesn't help matters.

It's also tricky because the word "racist" is so powerfully reviled that it makes it near-impossible for someone to recognize when they themselves have been racist. It'd be like calling yourself a murderer or a rapist, except lacking that comforting fuzz of implausibility. So cognitive biases get redirected full-force into denying that you were racist... which must, of course, mean that what you were doing wasn't racism. Rinse, repeat.

I generally agree with your points, however, the American public has not really repaid our faith in it in the past on this topic.

(NB: It's certainly possible surveys that show white people being more worried about minorities than themselves might not get into the media)

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Joementum posted:

Bernie ordered fried chicken, dark meat, yams, rice and gravy at his Busy Bee summit with Killer Mike yesterday.

Dark meat. :nallears:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Joementum posted:

This is what I come here for, not some bullshit shooting or plane getting shot down.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Quorum posted:

White people are not monolithic and evil.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2014/10/08/white-people-think-racial-discrimination-in-america-is-basically-over/

e: f;b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

zoux posted:

Vox link but here's a transcript of a journalist (well, I guess George Stephanopoulos is only loosely a journo) utter failing to confront Donald Trump on his blatant lies.

They do this so often, they have a list of poo poo they want to get to and so they just say "well, other sources disagree with you, lets move on" instead of saying "Hang on a sec..."

NO DON'T MAKE UP EUPHEMISMS FOR IT HE'S LYING HE'S TELLING LIES

It's too late. Falsified racist crime stats and debunked urban legends from fourteen years ago are now "disputed" and "controversial" because news networks are staffed by cowards.

• Locked thread