Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Glad to see Matt's not the only one in the Zaibatsu that knows how to handle an axe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Devil's Third seems kind of amazing.

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

The Boss. The CEO. The J-Cup Lover.

Dexie posted:

Glad to see Matt's not the only one in the Zaibatsu that knows how to handle an axe.

As we go on, Liam starts throwing it ALL THE TIME.

I taught him well.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!
Yep, that first episode for Devil's Third was as amazing as I could have ever hoped for.

Been a while since I've been this anxious for the next episode of an LP. Even SOMA which I enjoy I'm fine with waiting every 2-3 days.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Podcast is up, there are four things on the docket and just as many hours of podcast.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Preview video is p dope, tho.

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

holy poo poo, lol

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm really really hoping the guys go through the new Bloodborne DLC just to see Pat freak out over the first boss. I'm not gonna be able to play it myself for a long while so watched a few videos and the bosses of the DLC in general seem really amazing.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin

Oxyclean posted:

Mirror's Edge chat: I'm loving the goofy foot dance Woolie does on waits. Pat cheering when Woolie fucks up is pretty great too.

Ain't nothin' goofy about reppin' ur set

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWXcFb6nW0M

EmilBraun
Jul 13, 2015
Looks like someone is forkin up 5 bucks if it counts, unfortunately it wasn't read to completion but I think the bet stands given the limited time they have.Liam is still sticking to his guns in regards to self-censorship.

EmilBraun fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Nov 24, 2015

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

EmilBraun posted:

Looks like someone is forkin up 5 bucks if it counts, unfortunately it wasn't read to completion but I think the bet stands given the limited time they have.Liam is still sticking to his guns in regards to self-censorship.

Wait, you fuckin' serious? poo poo, I gotta get on listening to last week's podcast, in addition to this weeks. I hate falling behind on this kind of stuff.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Well now I'm down 5 bucks and Liam is still a poo poo. Tuesday always the worst day.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

EmilBraun posted:

that was fast

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

"Matt+is+the+best+he+is+my+favorite.jpg"

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm really really hoping the guys go through the new Bloodborne DLC just to see Pat freak out over the first boss. I'm not gonna be able to play it myself for a long while so watched a few videos and the bosses of the DLC in general seem really amazing.

Thery've gotta, right? There's no way they're not doing it.

also that preview video is just the best

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Nov 24, 2015

doos
Jan 1, 2015

That was a pretty spot-on impression of Pat.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
everyone hold back your vomit it's another king of fighters XIV trailer

https://youtu.be/AM5s-Ad4e6s

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

pre-psx is right

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Blockhouse posted:

Uggggggh, I don't dig that Andy model at all.

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

It's loving awful. The worst one yet.

Stay tuned for our next trailer to see which other character we clearly don't know how to model NEXT!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Blockhouse posted:

They keep trying to polish that turd, so sad. Also the WORST possible color choices and designs for andy holy poo poo.

PLEASE cancel this game and fire the artists who designed the visuals, SNK. PLEASE, it's beyond any help.

surely SOMEONE in their offices noticed the overwhelming negativity this game is getting. I know Chinese gaming companies in general have poor taste in quality but come the gently caress on.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Nov 24, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

"Kenny is a good character"

This is what happens when you're not around, Matt

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Not to ruin anyone's narrative but all Liam and Pat say is basically "If the the thing you're making isn't going to be kosher for a major region (I.e. too creepy), maybe just don't make it in the first place."

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Rodyle posted:

Not to ruin anyone's narrative but all Liam and Pat say is basically "If the the thing you're making isn't going to be kosher for a major region (I.e. too creepy), maybe just don't make it in the first place."

but then the vita would have even less games

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Rodyle posted:

Liam also said "don't show me a thing and then change it" in a reference to a game's beta, which I can't get over the absurdity of.

Also, while I'll fully admit I don't really have good context on the DLC, Liam saying "The only good Fire Emblem DLC was the swimsuit one" was hilarious and just seems to fit this narrative that he just wants that anime perv crap. :v:

e: vvv I'm dumb and didn't really pick up on it due to his tone of voice / it just seemed like a total Liam thing to say.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 24, 2015

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Nobody would cry for Dungeon Summoners 2 or whatever that game is called.

E: the swimsuit line was clearly a joke?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Al-Saqr posted:

PLEASE cancel this game and fire the artists who designed the visuals, SNK. PLEASE, it's beyond any help.

If they do that the series officially dies, I think. This game reeks of a cancelled project revival (or at the very least a slowed-down skeleton team project) being rushed out the door to get some sales in China.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Rodyle posted:

But the thing is, Liam specifically wants those people to effectively never change after. Take that eraser out of your pencil, live with your mistake. The problem is that he's incredibly unflexible in his philosophy, "Never back down" in defense of situations he has no idea other than they changed it.

And he constantly brings up "It's only a big deal because you changed it" is some really bad business sense for a guy that literally helped make games and know PR people. No one cares about censorship/localization like him, and those that do don't remotely make a difference on the financial scale.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Liam did nothing wrong
Indian costume is still better than cowboy costume.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I think the thread thinks more about Liam's position on censoring and everything else than Liam thinks about it, tbf. Take that as you will.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

PiedPiper posted:

Liam did nothing wrong
Indian costume is still better than cowboy costume.

Counterpoint: cowboy costume isn't racist

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Dias posted:

I think the thread thinks more about Liam's position on censoring and everything else than Liam thinks about it, tbf. Take that as you will.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I mean in one corner you have underage anime titties AND racism but in the other corner you have a cool cowboy hat, a tough decision to be sure

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Tae posted:

But the thing is, Liam specifically wants those people to effectively never change after. Take that eraser out of your pencil, live with your mistake. The problem is that he's incredibly unflexible in his philosophy, "Never back down" in defense of situations he has no idea other than they changed it.

And he constantly brings up "It's only a big deal because you changed it" is some really bad business sense for a guy that literally helped make games and know PR people. No one cares about censorship/localization like him, and those that do don't remotely make a difference on the financial scale.

Exactly! The reality is that it's a team of dudes making their thing in their own cultural context, then realizing to a larger audience outside of that cultural context that something might be taken as "too much", then changing it (most likely) on their own volition. What probably happened was they made the character, then the English localization team came in and said "Hey, isn't this a little racist/creepy?" and the devs responded "... Oh poo poo, you're right! Can't take back the past, so let's change it now that we have hindsight." If the artists/team really felt as strongly as Liam did to changing a design, they would walk out and make it incredibly public that they did.

Liam is trying to make it out that there's some narrative going on where there's a seedy underbelly of shushing people. It's just people making rational decisions based on being loving mindful of peoples' feelings. gently caress. Some dude on the reddit thread (my own mistake by going there) compared it to if modern WB went back and took out Bugs Bunny in blackface in an old episode. What? It's insane to compare going back 50 years and removing a reference to cinema history with hugely racist tones with modern eyes and sensibilities to looking back half a dev cycle and going "Yo, we hosed up, let's change this." The guy was popping off saying due to a single changed outfit, they weren't gonna buy the game. How much of an rear end in a top hat do you have to be to look at an artist's decision the artist long since stopped having a stake in over one small aspect of a game that they might not even use due to balancing and go "Hey, gently caress you and your decision, you're not getting my money."

I recently was requested to change a character's race in the game I'm currently working on, and I'm far more pleased with the end result. Is that censorship? gently caress no it isn't. It's part of the game-making process of iterating on design. If someone said "Hey, you changed that character to look better, gently caress you I'm not buying" I'd probably... Well, I'd most likely give them a scathing look before going on with the rest of my day. But, still, I'd be pretty upset for a bit.

It frustrates the hell out of me, because Liam is toeing the stupid argument I had to deal with at least once every year in art college: "Everything is art." Which, yes, everything with effort put into it is art, but people take to thinking that "art = inherently good and valid". That's the thinking of a lovely artist who draws deviantArt anime stuff and never learns to improve and self-critique. Yes, everything is art, but not all art is good! Yes, works shouldn't be changed to fit a censorship, but not all changes are bad! He's changing the drat argument from 'go with the artist's vision' to 'go with the original no matter what'. Ugh.

I'm incredibly passionate about this topic seeing how I have to deal with this kind of thing on both an internal and external basis all the time. I'll settle down now unless people are cool with my opinions on the matter.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Better not play Street Fighter then, while we're at it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Farg posted:

I mean in one corner you have underage anime titties AND racism but in the other corner you have a cool cowboy hat, a tough decision to be sure

Don't worry, the underage anime titties are in both corners in this particular case

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Andrast posted:

Don't worry, the underage anime titties are in both corners in this particular case

I'm glad there's some relief in these dark times

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

i really hate that they censored sagat after sf4. super street fighter 4 more like CENSORED street fighter 4

fuckin game devs - or should i say CENSORS - changing the game from the way it originally was :argh:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

What do I do if I like stereotypes and racism though?

Am I just supposed to not play Punch Out anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I stand with Vodka Drunkenski-kun