Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Did we actually see Stain kill someone (honest question I don't remember) and not just try? Also the new girl Himiko is said to be a serial killer. I don't think they've said if Shigaraki has killed anyone but the writer could easily say that he has if he needed to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Stain is confirmed to have killed several people off-screen.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

So yeah couldn't they just say that Shigaraki killed so and so if he needs to be a killer? It certainly seems like he has no real issue doing so if he was going to murder those two recruits just for being annoying.

Also that doesn't seem fair that Sero failed when he saved his partner with a quick reaction and then his quirk was instrumental in allowing him to succeed (unless that was just included as a comedy bit)...

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

When it comes to failing a class or a test, a 50 is for all intents and purposes virtually indistinguishable from a 0.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

Stain is confirmed to have killed several people off-screen.

He also ganked one of the Noumus in front of all the heroes before getting caught.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Bad Seafood posted:

When it comes to failing a class or a test, a 50 is for all intents and purposes virtually indistinguishable from a 0.

A class, sure. A test, your average for the class is going to be hella affected by a 0 instead of a 50.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

kidcoelacanth posted:

He also ganked one of the Noumus in front of all the heroes before getting caught.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Little more morally nebulous in the realm of comic books though.

Guy A. Person posted:

A class, sure. A test, your average for the class is going to be hella affected by a 0 instead of a 50.
It's not a perfect analogy but you probably understood what I meant.

Sero performed better than everyone else who failed, but he still couldn't manage to muster a passing grade.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ytlaya posted:

I think Shigaraki's strength comes more from his skill than his quirk. Like, the fact he managed to catch Aizawa means that he is incredibly skilled, and having great skill combined with his quirk makes it far more dangerous.

Also, yeah, it seems like it can probably destroy anything and do it faster than Ashido's quirk. I doubt Ashido's acid can burn very fast through strong materials like ceramics or people with hardening quirks like Kirishima.

Have we seen Shigaraki kill anyone? I find that usually people in manga (at least shounen manga) aren't killers unless we've explicitly been shown them killing someone. Attempting to kill someone doesn't count; there have been many characters who have attempted to kill folks to showcase how bad they are, but never actually end up doing it.

Oh, yeah, I was talking about his quirk alone. Physically the dude's probably one of the most fit we've seen, not counting (or in some cases even counting) people boosted by their quirks. Stain was one of the few who seems even more fit, though Stain actually being armed might have helped their fight too as well as Stain probably being vastly more experienced, being a vigilante serial killer versus a weird hikikomori crime lord.

As for whether he's killed anyone, that's hard to say, but it's certainly not for lack of trying. I mean, he would have destroyed Tsuyu's face if Aizawa hadn't stopped him, among other things (like, most recently, trying to kill Himiko and Dabi). Stain and Himiko are both confirmed murderers meanwhile, as people said already.

Radish posted:

Also that doesn't seem fair that Sero failed when he saved his partner with a quick reaction and then his quirk was instrumental in allowing him to succeed (unless that was just included as a comedy bit)...

I still feel bad for him there. He only got caught getting Mineta out, so had he not done that Mineta would have failed, by the standards they're applying to his grade here. They're basically saying that he should have let Mineta get taken out so he could have beaten Midnight himself.

That said, I think he should be able to catch up. I don't remember where he placed academically, but he's proven to be pretty capable physically; he did well in the tournament until Todoroki froze half the arena in a fit of emotion, and he won that race the class had. He should be able to pull himself up out of the hole he's (rather unfairly) been put in.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 24, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Rereading the series made me appreciate Sero a whole lot more.

He may be a designated support character according to Kohei's notes, but he seems like a real fun guy.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Bad Seafood posted:

It's not a perfect analogy but you probably understood what I meant.

Sero performed better than everyone else who failed, but he still couldn't manage to muster a passing grade.

I didn't, but I probably misunderstood the context. I thought you were talking about the test in conjunction with the written test in passing/failing the class or getting to go to the forest lodge. I was thinking they might have noted Sero's power use and evaluated him better even though he failed to meet the actual goal. But I missed that he is still in the group that is going to receive harsher training for failing, so you are right.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Thinking about it, is there anything that separates Sero from just being a very specific and under-powered version of the creation girl?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
That's like asking the difference between Spider-man and a guy with a grappling hook.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Radish posted:

Thinking about it, is there anything that separates Sero from just being a very specific and under-powered version of the creation girl?

He is probably going to be highly trained in the specialized use of his one creation, which he already has a suit to accommodate for. Whereas creation girl is going to be more versatile but won't be able to do the type of specialized stuff with any given thing she creates.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Radish posted:

I imagine he can create the tape way, way faster than Yaoyorozu can create material. I doubt Yaoyorozu could create stuff so fast that she could Spiderman around with it.

edit: also Sero seems to be able to project his tape, while Yaoyorozu just seems to be able to make stuff come out of her body (but not shoot it out).

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Radish posted:

She and Todoroki got in on special recommendation without having to take the entrance exam because their quirks are hella OP and they're both top of the class so presumably they did well in their previous schools. Yaoyorozu's quirk is probably one of the strongest in the series, theoretically, but it all depends on how it's used. Sero's has significantly less going for it but it's still a useful one to have, for sure.

TriffTshngo fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 24, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Something else to consider: Sero placed 17th in the class on his written exams so he really needed to knock the physical portion out of the park.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Green Intern posted:

Shigaraki won't kill Deku because we've already been promised the forest lodge arc! :argh:

Horikoshi is not going to pass up the chance to draw the class AND Aizawa in outdoorsy get-ups. The lodge is a certainty.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Sero is like spiderman but he shoots out of his elbows and presumably can't by himself stick to walls.

Man, I bet handy probably accidentally disintegrated his folks. Or purposely. I dunno. I forget how powers manifest in this world.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Jintor posted:

Sero is like spiderman but he shoots out of his elbows and presumably can't by himself stick to walls.

Man, I bet handy probably accidentally disintegrated his folks. Or purposely. I dunno. I forget how powers manifest in this world.

Depends according to the person, I believe.

Present Mic was born with his and caused his parents and the doctor delivering him to bleed from their years.
Kirishima got his when he was a kid (3, I think?) and that's how he has his scar.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
You'd think Bakugou would be a tad more curious that Midoriya suddenly has a quirk after correctly realizing that him suddenly having one made no sense.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Does anyone other than the Midoriya family and their doctor actually know Deku shouldn't actually have a quirk? Otherwise they can just claim extremely late-bloomer.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
heck, do we even have any idea how much midoriya's mom knows?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Inflammatory posted:

heck, do we even have any idea how much midoriya's mom knows?
After the tournament, we had this.

Basically I guess she's not really convinced about it but she's just happy for Deku.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Deku's mom is great

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Reminder about Midoriya's doctor.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

He is the Eggman.

He's got the master plan.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

sero shouldn't have lost to midnight so easily. iirc, she wears nearly nothing cause the sleep gas exudes from her skin, and sero's tape is relatively air tight, so he should have tried to wrap her up immediately to stop the gas from escaping her

prob why he failed

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
I don't know if he has the level of control to wrap someone from the distance necessary or without taking a single breath.

Wrapping someone in airtight adhesive is also probably not considered heroic.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

LostRook posted:

I don't know if he has the level of control to wrap someone from the distance necessary or without taking a single breath.

I imagine the issue is more that Midnight is a professional hero and would be able to avoid his tape.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Sero could've used his tape to avoid breathing in Midnight's sleeping gas the same way Mineta did.

I mean, not indefinitely, but he could certainly cover up his mouth and nose, attack, retreat, tear off, re-apply, etc.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Bad Seafood posted:

Sero could've used his tape to avoid breathing in Midnight's sleeping gas the same way Mineta did.

I mean, not indefinitely, but he could certainly cover up his mouth and nose, attack, retreat, tear off, re-apply, etc.

Maybe a big air bag woven out of tape?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Bad Seafood posted:

Sero is just not as a good a thinker as Mineta. Lets not forget that Mineta is 8th while Sero is 17th.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

I still feel bad for him there. He only got caught getting Mineta out, so had he not done that Mineta would have failed, by the standards they're applying to his grade here. They're basically saying that he should have let Mineta get taken out so he could have beaten Midnight himself.
I mean if he realized it was a gas attack he had the option to hold his breath whole also saving Mineta. And since Mineta used his tape as a short term solution to Midnight I can see why Sero got poor marks. The matchups were very deliberate and the people who failed did so because they were unable to adapt in a high pressure situation which is bad when you consider real villains won't give them a second chance.

By that measure, I'm surprised that Uraraka/Navel Lazer didn't fail since they only succeeded because #13 wasn't actually trying to kill them and shut off his ability when Ururaka got sucked in giving her time to CQC him into the ground. But that might be too harsh a criteria at that point.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

His hero name is Twilight Sparkle.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

LostRook posted:

He wouldn't even need to wrap her completely to reduce her effectiveness. Remember, she used to go naked (or close to it to maximize the effectiveness of her quirk). Just by covering her more he reduces the effectiveness of her quirk. Combined with Mineta's ability to pin her down and he is her worst nightmare in a number of ways.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Hell, sero could have tried to throw her like he threw mineta. There really is no excuse for him getting in range of her gas attack either, since nothing they had seen of her quirk beforehand indicated she had any ranged abilities at all.

Basically, midnight was at a huge disadvantage to both sero and mineta's quirks, and sero was effectively "killed" during the test so that's why he failed

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Spoilers are starting to leak out.

E: if the gigantic space wasn't a giveaway this is a spoiler image with no context. Avoid mousing over the bar if you wanna wait.

jesus christ :cry:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 26, 2015

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Put the hand back on, jesus christ.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Not since Speed of Sound Sonic have smiles been so childlike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
I see we're switching genres :catstare:

Buzzsaw Roomba fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Nov 27, 2015