Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I haven't seen Missing Poster once since someone in this thread posted about the new Lost unlock method. I think it would have actually been much less tedious to just enter a few seeds and then do an easy azazel run to sheol.

Kawalimus posted:

One thing I've never liked about Isaac since rebirth is big rooms. Yuck. I just can't stand them and wish there was some way to turn them off and play "classic isaac", except on certain boss rooms like Hush where you need a big room. I seriously just can't stand them though they are all a chore and tedious to me if you're not 100% overpowered.

The big problem with big rooms for me is I actually play coop Isaac sometimes, and they are just complete poo poo for the coop baby. In Rebirth the coop baby got awkwardly slid around based on Isaac's movement, and in afterbirth they just get left offscreen unable to see what's killing them, this is still an improvement over rebirth though. I really loved the idea of coop when they announced it, and it's usually actually a good time, but we got to a point where whenever it's a big room the coop baby just disables themselves for the room.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Is soy milk just not worth it? It always seems like when I take it, my DPS is much lower. Does it give you a high, fixed rate of fire (so when I take it late game its only a small boost)?

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

It gives an enormous damage reduction that gets applied after damage up items, so it effectively neuters them. Your damage will still go up, just by tiny amounts.

That said certain items ignore all damage multipliers, namely the Horn and Coal. If you can snag them and Soy Milk together it becomes really good.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

LibbyM posted:

The big problem with big rooms for me is I actually play coop Isaac sometimes, and they are just complete poo poo for the coop baby. In Rebirth the coop baby got awkwardly slid around based on Isaac's movement, and in afterbirth they just get left offscreen unable to see what's killing them, this is still an improvement over rebirth though. I really loved the idea of coop when they announced it, and it's usually actually a good time, but we got to a point where whenever it's a big room the coop baby just disables themselves for the room.

My biggest issue is that to me they ruin moderate damage runs as you get further down. So now if I get to the womb or so with average or below average power I'm tempted to just quit right there because I probably won't get much stronger until the chest and there are going to be big rooms in the meantime that will be a horrible slog like ones with multiple envies etc. Drawn out fights are not this game's thing. So if you have only ok damage with all small rooms it's not so bad but the big rooms just make me want to quit.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Big rooms also suck because you can sucker-punched by off-screen enemies because very few of them have audio tells for attacks.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Kawalimus posted:

My biggest issue is that to me they ruin moderate damage runs as you get further down. So now if I get to the womb or so with average or below average power I'm tempted to just quit right there because I probably won't get much stronger until the chest and there are going to be big rooms in the meantime that will be a horrible slog like ones with multiple envies etc. Drawn out fights are not this game's thing. So if you have only ok damage with all small rooms it's not so bad but the big rooms just make me want to quit.

I'm going for Hush clears right now and big rooms in mediocre damage runs just kill it. Honestly, I'm just holding R until I get a damage up start just to make things better for myself.

BigSlacks
Aug 21, 2003
Maybe I'm late to the party but I just noticed this boss rush bug:

1. Get to the boss rush and pick up one of the items
2. Exit the game by selecting exit from the menu
3. Exit the application completely
4. Start the game back up
5. Continue the run from where you left off

At this point, you'll be back in the boss rush room, the reward for beating the boss rush will spawn, and the door to leave will open.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Rorus Raz posted:

Big rooms also suck because you can sucker-punched by off-screen enemies because very few of them have audio tells for attacks.

The brimstone enemies off screen piss me off with this poo poo. The new ghost champions are the worst about it.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Captainicus posted:

Is soy milk just not worth it? It always seems like when I take it, my DPS is much lower. Does it give you a high, fixed rate of fire (so when I take it late game its only a small boost)?

I think it's really good with libra but that's it?

I guess it's okay with some of the weirder on hits like Explosivo too.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 24, 2015

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Zoness posted:

I think it's really good with libra but that's it?

I guess it's okay with some of the weirder on hits like Explosivo too.

And Ipecac :getin:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Either Undefined got patched so it can no longer teleport you to the Error Room in The Chest, or I got exceedingly unlucky with 30+ batteries. I just wanted to do The Chest over and over until Dad's Key spawned. :(

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Kawalimus posted:

Super Envy on Floor 1 is the worst.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
gently caress suicide king, it's such a boring loving slog of a challenge and I'm super glad I found Brimstone so I could not have to try again for the 50th time.

Slow roller is a real treat of a challenge though, seems like it will be fun.

I got really lucky with Family Man at least, since I managed to obtain Guppy and a whoooole lot of damage ups as well as little steven, the seraphim baby, and ghost baby which made the flurry of weak tears spawn absurd amounts of Hive Mind flies. gently caress that challenge though if you don't get a broken set-up straight away.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I would not mind Envy if he could actually give you something useful, or gently caress, anything, but it's a troll bomb every single time, because McMillen.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Justin_Brett posted:

I would not mind Envy if he could actually give you something useful, or gently caress, anything, but it's a troll bomb every single time, because McMillen.

He drops Shoop da Whoop which is a lovely 2-charge meme item that fires a brimstone-like laser that does almost no damage unless your damage scaling is really high.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:

How Rude posted:

gently caress suicide king, it's such a boring loving slog of a challenge and I'm super glad I found Brimstone so I could not have to try again for the 50th time.

Just huck your shots over the heads of enemies. That detonates them. One of the easier challenges because you have such a high damage output.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

How Rude posted:

He drops Shoop da Whoop which is a lovely 2-charge meme item that fires a brimstone-like laser that does almost no damage unless your damage scaling is really high.
Yeah it's a fundamentally bad item. I call it this because I'm fine with bad items so long as they have potential for interesting syngeries (ie curse of the tower is terrible but pretty nice if you have pyromania), but Shoop is one of those items that are underwhelming even under the most favorable circumstances.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Captainicus posted:

It's bugged. (Despite some people thinking it's fixed.) It's supposed to fire 30 tears per second, which doubles Isaac's DPS, but is actually capped at 15 tears per second, meaning that it's always a DPS downgrade unless you have Libra or Explosivo.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I'm pretty sure Serpent's Kiss is bugged with Tech X. Had a great serpents kiss / Death's Touch blue baby greed run that I was basically immortal because of all the black hearts dropping, but from the moment I picked up tech x until the end of the run, I never saw a single black heart again. The poison effect would still activate though.

Run still went fine, but I thought people might want to know about that interaction.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Tech X might be the worst of all the techs. Not sure why they've had such a hard time keeping them from being garbage.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Tech X is really powerful and probably the strongest one, or at least tied with tech 0.5.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tech X seems to have a lot of variance. Sometimes it's amazing and sometimes it just makes things worse.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009
Tech x has always been great for me. I don't think I've lost a run where I've picked it up.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I kind of think the better your run is, the worse Tech x is. My amazing stream of sickles was doing way more damage than after Tech X, even forgetting the black heart loss. But if you've got a mediocre run with maybe a couple damage ups if you're lucky, tech x is pretty solid.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
A basement 1 Tech X singlehandedly carried me to a Keeper Boss Rush on my first run with him ever where I was sniped by an offscreen brimstone because I was being complacent, it is a good item.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I have a new least favorite item: Marked

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Ringworm Ipecac, the best idea or the best idea?

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Tech X might be the worst of all the techs. Not sure why they've had such a hard time keeping them from being garbage.
Tech X is good on its own, but if you get a way to shoot multiple projectiles it becomes outright absurd. 20/20, Mutant Spider, The Inner Eye, Monstro's Lung, etc. The edge of each ring does damage on its own, and they can overlap.

Mystery Prize fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 24, 2015

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Homing Tears is funny with Tech X, because it makes the circle warp and blob out to hit things.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Monstro's Lung is pretty much the best pickup if you have Tech X, because all those rings you shoot out are separate instances of damage, meaning that it's one of the biggest damage multipliers in the game for that item.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Tech X is excellent, but kind of finicky to use - the lasers themselves are what hurts so if you fully charge up the attack then a lot of the laser will end up missing the enemy. Best to shoot it when it's smaller so that the laser ring makes contact with the enemy for longer.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Volt Catfish posted:

Marked is gonna be one of those items like the Guillotine where it IS probably good, I'm just poo poo at using it. Also, you know what's the Isaac's definition of "get hosed"? A perfectly good Ipecac run where you get Marked out of an ? item pedestal.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dias posted:

Marked is gonna be one of those items like the Guillotine where it IS probably good, I'm just poo poo at using it. Also, you know what's the Isaac's definition of "get hosed"? A perfectly good Ipecac run where you get Marked out of an ? item pedestal.

I really hate Curse of the blind. It never does anything interesting, it just forces you to not pick up items or randomly gently caress up your run with a garbage item.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Dias posted:

It's absolutely terrible in the Womb and Utero because you can't tell where the cursor is thanks to that red filter and red floor.

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

Marked is insanely good for Lilith though. It's just a straight tears up for incubus. The target doesn't appear.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Finishing up 1001%, two things to do:

1. Blue Bomber
2. Pick up the D8 and that Mega Brimstone thing

First devil room on Blue Bomber: Incubus and Brimstone. Together with getting a Compass on the first floor I finished the Boss Rush in under 8 minutes, not too bad.
First floor in Greed mode with Isaac (I figure that's the best way to see lots of items): Coat Hanger and something poo poo that rerolled to Godhead in the two item rooms, D8 just sitting there in the shop, mega brimstone thing in the first devil room. And then got Incubus, 20/20 and a few other damage items on floor 2.

Well that was convenient. When the game wants you to win...

SomeIdiot
Apr 2, 2014

Volt Catfish posted:

Marked annoys me because I always think that it's the Dead Eye(not sure why I have them confused honestly :v:) and then feel the sting of grabbing a kinda mediocre item rather than a cool one.

Dead Eye's one of my favorite items from the expansion, incidentally. Very solid damage up with a pretty simple quirk to work with.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Kawalimus posted:

One thing I've never liked about Isaac since rebirth is big rooms. Yuck. I just can't stand them and wish there was some way to turn them off and play "classic isaac", except on certain boss rooms like Hush where you need a big room. I seriously just can't stand them though they are all a chore and tedious to me if you're not 100% overpowered.

Yeah the big and tiny rooms are the worst.
Not only are they unfun, they also go against the whole theme of every room just being inside the chest.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
The biggest issue with the big rooms is that they're WAAAAY too fuckin' common after you unlock everything. I've literally had floor layouts with L room into L room into 2x2 room into 2x2 room and they weren't even XL!

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
Lilith makes Greed mode so easy, all it takes is the car battery and something to charge your items faster and whammo you have 30 familiars each level

My last run I had car battery, 9 volt, the baby that drops batteries and the Habit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
The problem of course is that she's pretty front heavy- her item isn't terribly useful for Ultra Greed himself without a battery buddy, habit, or 48-hour energy.