Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

KKall posted:

Ah made a fing about a Jared Leto moovee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2dOuLR-BkI

This was a great video - I actually went and watched Mr. Nobody before watching yours to get a better sense of what you'd be discussing. I actually enjoyed the film a lot as a viewer - it's gorgeous, it flows nicely, and a lot of the performances are excellent - but as soon as it ended I found a lot of the same questions you had percolating in the back of my mind. One thing in particular you didn't go much into, that really irked me, was the ending: Like you said, the movie isn't about making the "right choice", because it revels in that indecision. So all three paths - Anna, Elise and Jeanne - are equally possible and impossible, because according to Old Man/9-Year-Old Nemo, every life is as valid as every other life. So all of these possible realities are collapsing at the same time, and thus ultimately none of it mattered anyway, boundless possibilities in the imagination of a child, etc etc. But then we get the Happy Ending with Anna...why?! The waveform collapses into gently caress-your-stepsister, and so it turns out there was a Correct Choice all along, thus making the entire climax of the film utterly moot. It was very frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

Compendium posted:

I miss Billy Warlock. Eyebrows, Summer, and Bland Surfer Dude just don't compare to his weenie-ism. :(

Nothing can ever compare. At least he comes back for that Baywatch Nights episode and the movie!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Almost any time I'm at the gym, they have this American chart run-down show on for background noise, and I've got to say, the most recent Justin Bieber singles honestly aren't half bad. :shobon:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Miss Wallace posted:

Nothing can ever compare. At least he comes back for that Baywatch Nights episode and the movie!

I am full of anticipation! :)

In all seriousness though, as an actor, Billy Warlock definitely seemed to have a one-up on these guys. I mean, yeah, Slade was already not-good to begin with, but Eyebrows and Summer don't have the same energy.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Miss Wallace posted:

The best part of that ep is when they do a montage of the orangutan's fantasy where it's a lifeguard and they do a rock n' roll version of the main theme.

Yeah no. Even with Baywatch, I refuse to believe they actually did that.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Gertrude Perkins posted:

This was a great video - I actually went and watched Mr. Nobody before watching yours to get a better sense of what you'd be discussing. I actually enjoyed the film a lot as a viewer - it's gorgeous, it flows nicely, and a lot of the performances are excellent - but as soon as it ended I found a lot of the same questions you had percolating in the back of my mind. One thing in particular you didn't go much into, that really irked me, was the ending: Like you said, the movie isn't about making the "right choice", because it revels in that indecision. So all three paths - Anna, Elise and Jeanne - are equally possible and impossible, because according to Old Man/9-Year-Old Nemo, every life is as valid as every other life. So all of these possible realities are collapsing at the same time, and thus ultimately none of it mattered anyway, boundless possibilities in the imagination of a child, etc etc. But then we get the Happy Ending with Anna...why?! The waveform collapses into gently caress-your-stepsister, and so it turns out there was a Correct Choice all along, thus making the entire climax of the film utterly moot. It was very frustrating.

Mr Nobody makes me think of Video Game morality, which usually works with almsot every decision having three choices: a "good" one, a "bad" one and a "neutral" one that doesn't change your arbitrary morality rating. Usually those elad to three endings, with the Neutral one being treated as the one where the main character was wishy-washy or refused to make a meaningful choice. There's a few exceptions (the SMT series usually treats the Neutral endings as the "least bad" ones, as well as making them the hardest to get) but most follow that model.

Sorry for the tangent, I just thought it was a weird paralel.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Compendium posted:

I am full of anticipation! :)

In all seriousness though, as an actor, Billy Warlock definitely seemed to have a one-up on these guys. I mean, yeah, Slade was already not-good to begin with, but Eyebrows and Summer don't have the same energy.

In all honesty, yeah. Whatever issues Eddie had as a character, Billy Warlock can turn in a solid performance. Though to be fair, I've seen other actors from Baywatch acting a lot better in other projects, so it's possible the show just doesn't do anyone a lot of favors, ha ha.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Miss Wallace posted:

In all honesty, yeah. Whatever issues Eddie had as a character, Billy Warlock can turn in a solid performance. Though to be fair, I've seen other actors from Baywatch acting a lot better in other projects, so it's possible the show just doesn't do anyone a lot of favors, ha ha.

hohoHOLY poo poo, that Native American episode. Kelly Slater's acting is so bad that it reminds me of Pogey Beach, and god that Native American dude looked smug as all hell when he was showing his secret Native magic. Also, why are the school kids literally just wearing spangly bras to school? I get that a lot of school dress codes are sexist and silly, but I don't think wearing a bra top and nothing else is a great idea. Better hope you don't have science or food technology that day!

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
My favorite thing about that native american episode? Huffing! The most 90s of all "ripped from the headlines" scares!

Your kids could be huffing paint...right now!

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Infamous Sphere posted:

hohoHOLY poo poo, that Native American episode. Kelly Slater's acting is so bad that it reminds me of Pogey Beach, and god that Native American dude looked smug as all hell when he was showing his secret Native magic. Also, why are the school kids literally just wearing spangly bras to school? I get that a lot of school dress codes are sexist and silly, but I don't think wearing a bra top and nothing else is a great idea. Better hope you don't have science or food technology that day!

That was in a ton of 90s things, like I don't know if dress codes were different then or TV shows just didn't care. But yeah, I always wondered like if anyone was comfortable wearing essentially a bra in like, science class.

When Kelly Slater first showed up he wasn't as bad as I remembered, and I was like, maybe I'm not giving the dude enough credit. But as soon as he showed up in the next ep I was like nope, he's worse. Lordy. But still not Baywatch's worst actor!

Mr. Fowl posted:

My favorite thing about that native american episode? Huffing! The most 90s of all "ripped from the headlines" scares!

Your kids could be huffing paint...right now!

I still remember there was like a 7th Heaven episode about huffing, and I always joked it was the dog being the bad influence. Honestly "and Happy" in the credits is my most prominent memory of that show, hahaha.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Miss Wallace posted:

That was in a ton of 90s things, like I don't know if dress codes were different then or TV shows just didn't care. But yeah, I always wondered like if anyone was comfortable wearing essentially a bra in like, science class.

When Kelly Slater first showed up he wasn't as bad as I remembered, and I was like, maybe I'm not giving the dude enough credit. But as soon as he showed up in the next ep I was like nope, he's worse. Lordy. But still not Baywatch's worst actor!

I'm sure it was just on TV, to make it sexier and more exciting. I highly doubt that people were actually wearing swimsuits and underwear to class - but then again, I didn't go to American public school in the 90s so I wouldn't really know for sure. Most of the schools here either have a uniform or a dress code that consists of something like "you must wear a white shirt and black pants/shorts/skirt." Even the government schools seem to have a uniform.

Who *is* Baywatch's worst actor, or is that a surprise for the future?

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Did Todd's Butterfly OHW video get taken down?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

A good poster posted:

Did Todd's Butterfly OHW video get taken down?

Nope

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Infamous Sphere posted:

Who *is* Baywatch's worst actor, or is that a surprise for the future?

Far and away, Donna D'Errico is the worst actress on all of Baywatch. She started off on BW Nights and got transferred to the regular show after they changed direction into the supernatural, but she is....wow. Just atrocious on so many levels. I think part of what makes her worse than Kelly Slater is just that she's around for so much longer, because Jimmy's only in like 8 episodes before he disappears and she has seasons.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Wait, i just realized this.

The song you use for the credits of Baywatching. Is that Hasslehoff singing? :stare:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Miss Wallace posted:

Far and away, Donna D'Errico is the worst actress on all of Baywatch. She started off on BW Nights and got transferred to the regular show after they changed direction into the supernatural, but she is....wow. Just atrocious on so many levels. I think part of what makes her worse than Kelly Slater is just that she's around for so much longer, because Jimmy's only in like 8 episodes before he disappears and she has seasons.

She can't possibly be reading her lines worse than Kelly Slater though, right?

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

The song you use for the credits of Baywatching. Is that Hasslehoff singing? :stare:

Of fuken course!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6neeyrikitQ

David Hasselhoff sang "Current of Love" as the ending theme of Seasons 2–4.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Is the Uma Thurman review down or just not available on mobile? I missed it when it came and I'd love his take on that… thing.

E: it was just on mobile.

watho fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Nov 24, 2015

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Oh God, Retsupurae has returned to Gaming in the Clinton Years. George Navigtr Wood returns!

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
The George Woods videos are wierd, because the guy sounds like he's really into what he's saying, even when it makes no sense. It's oddly endearing? Diabetus's Clinton impression is rather wonderful.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

George's "challenge for Eidos Interactive" will never not be funny.

root
Jun 17, 2000

Booska mask replica...

Arcsquad12 posted:

Oh God, Retsupurae has returned to Gaming in the Clinton Years. George Navigtr Wood returns!
The finale of the WWF Attitude video was really something...

...while eating pizza.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
He honestly sounds like a crazy person, but I guess that's just a consequence of him reading something presumably written by someone else (?) in a robotic tone. I could be wrong; this is my first exposure to the guy.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

It is! It's the ending theme for Baywatch for a couple seasons or so. Hasselhoff also does the ending theme for Baywatch Nights. He provides many soundtrack numbers for both shows and they are amazing.

Gyges posted:

She can't possibly be reading her lines worse than Kelly Slater though, right?

Yeah, she....yeah. She doesn't read her lines terribly as CONSISTENTLY as Kelly Slater, but when she's bad, she's bad. Part of it is also that her baby doll hair and blank face make her seem incredibly stupid, no matter the scenario.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

RLM did an interview with their Twitter nemesis, Max Landis

http://redlettermedia.com/a-conversation-with-max-landis/

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Mischalaniouse posted:

He honestly sounds like a crazy person, but I guess that's just a consequence of him reading something presumably written by someone else (?) in a robotic tone. I could be wrong; this is my first exposure to the guy.

I think that's part of what makes the series great: at the end of the day, all anyone really knows is that it was just some public access TV weirdness that got a cult internet following after the fact. That means literally anything could be going on, and as you see more of his reviews you just have more questions.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
Those amazing moments when your brain processes two pieces of side-by-side information out of order:

FlamingLiberal posted:

Mischalaniouse posted:

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Oh hey, one more thing about Mr Nobody on the 'already done by' pile.

Character aware of the consequences of every future decision he could possibly make, overwhelmed to the point of indecision?

That's an episode of Duckman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DHb03sY1KY

Edit: the one thing I've watched and could stand made by Max Landis is his youtube video about the career of Triple H.

Gnome de plume fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Nov 25, 2015

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

FlamingLiberal posted:

http://redlettermedia.com/a-conversation-with-max-landis/

Max, both in the comments and in a video on his channel, mentioned that he was absolutely fanboying out at being with RLM. :neckbeard: And that he was anxious because he respects them so much. That's really cool. :) Echoing something Max said in the video, it's amazing that movies get made at all with all the tiny machinations that can go wrong at any point in the process. It's really refreshing to see someone in the business be able to sit down with a beer and candidly discuss the movie business.

I was a stand-in for a couple movies a few years back, and my biggest takeaway from the experience was just how amazing it was that the finished product (even the flawed ones) come out as coherent as they do. It's really as though scattering pieces of a jigsaw puzzle amongst hundreds of people and hoping that the finished product looks anything like it was originally intended.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Huh, looks like someone paid SFDebris the billion dollars or so he requested to do a character storyline review in The Old Republic.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
New Loose Cannon with Nightcrawler is up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdgHMkYQxcQ

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

OldMemes posted:

The George Woods videos are wierd, because the guy sounds like he's really into what he's saying, even when it makes no sense. It's oddly endearing? Diabetus's Clinton impression is rather wonderful.

Speaking of George Wood weirdness, I guess Navgtr just gave up pretending George died. Like, this year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbVkSuurgBI

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

SatansBestBuddy posted:

New Loose Cannon with Nightcrawler is up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdgHMkYQxcQ

That's a good video, but it's not new.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Conal Cochran posted:

I watched the first 20 minutes of Bob Chipman's 72 minute long Is It Really That Good: Spider-Man 1 and 2. That length is not justified at all. It's pretty much consists of

:words:

For my issues with Movie "Mario Brothers 3 was our own personal Vietnam and JFK assassination" Bob he's so goddamn right that J. K. Simmons is the best casting in any super hero movie ever.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Jsor posted:

Huh, looks like someone paid SFDebris the billion dollars or so he requested to do a character storyline review in The Old Republic.

Someone drat well better pay him all the money to do a Knights of the Old Republic 2 Restored Content review.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Tracula posted:

For my issues with Movie "Mario Brothers 3 was our own personal Vietnam and JFK assassination" Bob he's so goddamn right that J. K. Simmons is the best casting in any super hero movie ever.

If Jameson ever shows up in another Spidey movie (and if he doesn't, WHY THE HELL NOT?) I will accept nothing less than J.K. Simmons reprising his role. He's even said he's up for it, there is no excuse not to.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Augus posted:

If Jameson ever shows up in another Spidey movie (and if he doesn't, WHY THE HELL NOT?) I will accept nothing less than J.K. Simmons reprising his role. He's even said he's up for it, there is no excuse not to.

I don't think there's ever been a casting decision so dead on.

Too bad they can't manage that for, you know, Spider-Man.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Augus posted:

I haven't seen the two most recent films but didn't they avoid showing JJJ completely? I saw the usual rumor mill on the Internet saying that the proper Marvel reboot would have him so please my god make it so.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

JK Simmons as MCU JJJ hiring Jessica Jones to discover Spider-Man's secret identity would be a dream com true. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Oh god, is Doug Walker seriously doing another Let's Play video?
I dare not click it even out of curiosity, I'm too horrified

• Locked thread