Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

mike- posted:

It doesn't matter that his rapping is good or bad, what matters is how it helps him connect with students.

He's clearly going for getting the students in that place where they are so embarrassed for him that it lowers their natural defenses and they somehow more readily absorb knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

So high rents are what caused the jump in venture starting in mid 2013?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Not sure what this is supposed to be telling me? Not to be cliche and pull the correlation != causation card, but all I'm seeing is that during the dotcom bubble and lead up to the 08' crash, VC dollars & rents were on the rise (as I imagine were quite a few other things), and after the collapse of the dotcom bubble & 08' crash, VC dollars & rents went crashing back down (again, like a lot of other things that are pretty heavily tied to to the state of the economy).

If anything the only interesting bit is the tailend of the graph, if only because it tells me we're marching right towards an even more hilariously disastrous tech/property bubble crash.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

All charts with two different y axes on different scales are total bullshit. The only useful conclusion you can draw is that the two different values being tracked moved in the same direction at similar times, which is probably true of every factor affected by the country's economy.

And they don't even do that consistently.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
That "average effective apartment rate in San Jose" number is pretty crazily influenced the by flood of high end luxury apartments. poo poo, the triangle formed by the 237, 880 and 101 must have added 2k new units just in the last few years (they just finished a ~450 unit 4 story complex across from the Chik-fil-A on north 1st street and the cheapest unit in that thing is a 2600 dollar one bedroom).

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

How is SJ more expensive than SF?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Spazzle posted:

I guess a figurative poo poo hole is worth more than a literal poo poo hole?

E: As somebody who has only visited San Jose, does it have any redeaming qualities other than tech jobs? If it weren't for the lack of reliable non-state jobs I'd say Sacramento is more pleasant in every other aspect for (less than?) half the price.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Nov 24, 2015

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Are you a single woman looking for the overpaid tech geek of your dreams? Then "Man Jose" may be the city you need:

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...silicon-valley/

quote:

According to the Pew Research Center, San Jose has 114 employed young single men for every 100 young single women, the highest ratio in the country. More than half of the men between 25 and 34 are not married.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The odds are good but the goods are odd.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

CopperHound posted:

I guess a figurative poo poo hole is worth more than a literal poo poo hole?

E: As somebody who has only visited San Jose, does it have any redeaming qualities other than tech jobs? If it weren't for the lack of reliable non-state jobs I'd say Sacramento is more pleasant in every other aspect for (less than?) half the price.

The sj downtown seems very nice on the few times I've been there and you're relatively close to places like SF, Santa cruz, and Monterey. Plus while the weather can get hot I don't think it gets as mind blowing as Sacramento, which only has Tahoe as an escape (which is nice but takes a while to get to)

Sacramento has a now-decent downtown (a decade ago it was poo poo) but that's about it. Also they say "hella".

That said if you are a young person you should really think about moving to Sacramento for a state job (unless you can get one elsewhere) . They are very stable, decent paying for good chunks of the state, excellent health, and have a pension for new hires at 2% at 60 (I think). For the average d&d radical marxist there are a good number of jobs that actually benefit your fellow man so you can go home at night thinking you did something useful.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
I find the biking, but only in midtown, in Sac is really easy too. I rarely drove my car. I found it really difficult to leave, but hey, love. I just really miss the coveneince and the tree-lined streets.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Zachack posted:

Sacramento has a now-decent downtown (a decade ago it was poo poo) but that's about it.

Also a cool railroad museum. (IIRC I guess it's been ages since I went there.)

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

SJ is big and sprawling so your experience will vary wildly depending on which neighborhood you're talking about.
Almaden valley is los gatos lite and east SJ is more the hood.

The draw of SJ is the work. If you're in tech and can afford the bay, SJ isn't that bad if you're married and have a family. If you're younger and single, you'll want the city.

If you're not in tech, you're getting royally hosed by rising prices and should think about moving. Unless you can save of course in which case you should get your nest egg lined up somehwere safe and ready to pounce on a foreclosure once this most recent tech bubble pops.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
i have fond memories of my cousins' place in piedmont/berryessa

holy hell though, since it's way up in the hills, good luck getting there without a car

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Spazzle posted:

It might have to do with the way they are calculating those numbers. I know renting a room in SF is far more common?

Bast Relief posted:

I find the biking, but only in midtown, in Sac is really easy too. I rarely drove my car. I found it really difficult to leave, but hey, love. I just really miss the coveneince and the tree-lined streets.
Sacramento, and by Sacramento, I mean Mid-Town and the surrounding area (love the Land Park area), has a lot going for it. Gorgeous tree lined streets filled with old craftsman homes, lots of non-chain coffee shops/bars/places to eat, it gets decent music coming through, etc. What SJ has going for it is 1) access to the monopoly money tech jobs and 2) it doesn't get soul crushingly hot during peak summer. Even the tree canopy of Mid-Town won't save you from July/August heat.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Sacramento is great. If you haven't run a 5k in 110 degree heat you haven't lived.

That said the dating scene here is poo poo compared to SF/the Bay.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Litany Unheard posted:

That said the dating scene here is poo poo compared to SF/the Bay.
In what sense?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Go Cougar hunting at the Roseville Galleria, Bass Pro Shop or Mikuni's! :smith:

I've only survived out here as I only need to be in my office in the bay area 1 or 2 times per week. In fact that is the only reason I moved out here a few years ago in the first place. I have several friends out here in the same position that would have to move back to the bay area if their jobs were vaporized or were made to be in office more as there isn't jack poo poo out here and gubmint jobs pay like poo poo (unless you have a "prey on gubmint" job like a lobbyist/lawyer).

Cost and for me (being on the wrong side of 40), being able to play golf all over the place in under 4 hours and gently caress off up to Tahoe whenever I want is key. I certainly don't miss living in some crowded shithole apartment with obnoxious neighbors although some of the suburban morons with 7 spastic kids and giant bro trucks parked on their lawns I've been briefly around have been just as bad. The hot summers suck suck suck suck suck out here but I miss very little else about the Bay Area. That being said if I could score some $500k/year job or huge stock options windfall I'd move back and live in Piedmont or something and join a country club.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 24, 2015

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
Oh how do I hate having to go into Roseville/Rocklin. The mega churches are off the hook over there and every shopping center is 100% generic. And it might just be my perception but the sun always feels brighter and hotter there.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Yeah all that poo poo is awful and horrifying and more fun down in old Roseville dive bars and away from all the megamegachain poo poo.

Midtown Sac is great but price/sq foot is brutal compared to 25 miles away. I'm not paying $550k for an 1100 sq ft hipster loft in downtown Sac either, sorry.

I'm old though and don't give a gently caress anymore. Get off my dirt lawn!

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 25, 2015

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Just move to San Diego. :greencube:

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Basically a better deal in SD for $600k, an extra bathroom as well as an actual city around it instead of only the 5-10 large buildings in Sac.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Keyser S0ze posted:

Yeah all that poo poo is awful and horrifying and more fun down in old Roseville dive bars and away from all the megamegachain poo poo.

Midtown Sac is great but price/sq foot is brutal compared to 25 miles away. I'm not paying $550k for an 1100 sq ft hipster loft in downtown Sac either, sorry.

I'm old though and don't give a gently caress anymore. Get off my dirt lawn!
True true, but you can still buy a 3+ bedroom craftsman in midtown for 400-600k, with old trees and walking distance to cool poo poo. Those are 1.5m dollar houses in a Campell or Cupertino, and 900k in a soul less south San Jose sprawl.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

cheese posted:

True true, but you can still buy a 3+ bedroom craftsman in midtown for 400-600k, with old trees and walking distance to cool poo poo. Those are 1.5m dollar houses in a Campell or Cupertino, and 900k in a soul less south San Jose sprawl.

Before I met my bf, it was those bitchin' lil Craftsman houses I had my eye on. Just close enough yet far enough away from the downtown action.

Ah well. This bungalow in Santa Cruz is nice I guess.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Santa Cruz's traffic sucks rear end, and if you work in town then good luck making any money whatsoever due to the whole "ha ha if you wanted to get a real living wage you should commute over the hill!" thing.

Working in that town makes you feel like hiring help that should not be seen nor heard to the rich Apple/Google bus occupying overlords.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Teflon Don posted:

Just move to San Diego. :greencube:

I'll starve on the street in Lawndale before I'll live on the western tip of Arizona!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I'll starve on the street in Lawndale before I'll live on the western tip of Arizona!

San Diego isn't the worst suburb of LA you could end up in...

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

cheese posted:

I don't really see a big distinction between Campbell and south sj. The big change comes when you hit the rich white people in Los gatos/Saratoga and the Indian people in sunnyvale.

Also, the row of korean restaurants on el Camino as you get into santa clara rule. Tofu bowls for days.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

San Diego isn't the worst suburb of LA you could end up in...

909 culture with 310 climate. What more could you want.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

I'm kinda into San Diego these days.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
San Diego's rent to income ratio isn't so great, mind you. There isn't a ton of good location available so it's bumped prices up. And wages are not near Google, etc. Qualcomm also just laid a bunch of people off too. But if you've got some biotech skills you can find 80-100k jobs. But again, you'll be suffering a 45+ minute commute if you want a house for less than 500k...

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
San Diego is hot as hell in the summer.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

jeeves posted:

Santa Cruz's traffic sucks rear end, and if you work in town then good luck making any money whatsoever due to the whole "ha ha if you wanted to get a real living wage you should commute over the hill!" thing.

Working in that town makes you feel like hiring help that should not be seen nor heard to the rich Apple/Google bus occupying overlords.

Yeah, I don't know how people do it. My bf and I are in a very lucky unusual circumstance, and he makes union wages. I don't even have to go anywhere and still this traffic drives me nuts.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

French Canadian posted:

San Diego's rent to income ratio isn't so great, mind you. There isn't a ton of good location available so it's bumped prices up. And wages are not near Google, etc. Qualcomm also just laid a bunch of people off too. But if you've got some biotech skills you can find 80-100k jobs. But again, you'll be suffering a 45+ minute commute if you want a house for less than 500k...

Not if you bought in 2011, booya. It's a good time to work in biotech too, I'm starting 2016 with a sizeable raise and keeping my 10 minute commute.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Bip Roberts posted:

909 culture with 310 climate. What more could you want.

The IE is way hotter.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Nice article in The Guardian about the damage that overpumping is doing to the central valley.

quote:

The Central Valley is sinking: drought forces farmers to ponder the abyss

As people dig ever deeper to find water, nearly 1,200 square miles of California is sinking 2 inches a month – destroying roads, bridges and farmland in the process
Gotta gotta export those almonds though, no matter what the cost.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I hope plugging my ears and sticking my head in the sand is the solution to this problem.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Brown got some groundwater regulations going this year for the first time ever, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

FMguru posted:

Nice article in The Guardian about the damage that overpumping is doing to the central valley.

Gotta gotta export those almonds though, no matter what the cost.

I posted this before: the exact same thing has happened in central Turkey back in the 90s, causing tremendous economic damage and resulting in the need to rebuild not just infrastructure, but also large parts of many towns in the region (the buildings had become unstable).

Aside from that, the top commenter on that article makes an excellent point:

quote:

I live in California, and wish that those reporting on our terrible drought would stop casting it in terms of the burdens on "farmers." The so-called "farmers" in the Central Valley are huge agribusiness corporations which, for many decades now, have siphoned off fully 80% of California's surface water for their own use. The groundwater pumping and pollution has likewise gone on for years. Stop calling these megacorporations "farmers." They have raped this land, stolen our water, and now we are all reaping the whirlwind.