Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I remember Canada phasing out the penny. They just told retailers to still accept them for a couple months and not hand them out in change. Now everything comes to a 5 cent unless you use your card. No hassle whatsoever. lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
On the notion that rounding up or down to the nearest 5¢ is too imprecise to be a feasible solution to the penny problem: let's be honest: it's not like transactions always, or even usually, end up in units of 1/100ths of a dollar currently. That's a result of rounding.

In my town in Illinois, the non-food sales tax is 7.25%. So if I buy something for $7.49, I actually have to pay $8.033025. But I can't pay that because we don't have a .3025¢ piece, or even .0005¢ or .0001¢ pieces which we could use several of to come up to .3025¢. So we round it off: $8.03. See, $7.49 + 7.25% doesn't really equal $8.03. That's just what we go with because over a hundred years ago, we decided not to bother cutting up the dollar into more than 100 units. This was back when you could do something with a penny, it should be noted. I mean, could send a letter or something. But it was something.

So instead of $8.03, it'd be either $8.05 or $8.00. Yes, it's less precise, but it's not going to put anyone in hawk.

Slavish devotion to uselessly small amounts of money that result from messy math almost got Superman killed. Do you want to almost kill Superman? Or make a robot chick who isn't sexy? Because that's what'll happen if we keep the penny.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

See, in a theoretical world where we axe the penny we can do other things. Like change taxes to fit. It's really not that complicated.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

webmeister posted:

And when John Oliver said "Australia got rid of their 1c coin", it's not a recent thing. We got rid of 1c and 2c coins in 1991.

Yeah, we got rid of 1c and 2c coins in 1990, and the 5c in 2006. What's the point if you can't buy anything with them?

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
Hell, in Denmark we got rid of the quarter a few years ago, it was completely useless and worthless, the 50 øre coin will probably join it within a decade.

Did anyone care? Of course not, only lunatics and idiots care about nonense like that.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Like, I get that this is SA and we need to argue for the argument's sake, but you do know that he means the penny as the smallest denomination of the currency (or unit) that makes up larger denominations like the quarter and the dollar? A quarter is 25 units of 'penny', a dollar is 100 units of 'penny', like the number 1 is the smallest non-fractional number, of which 1,000,000 units make up a million etc.

On the other hand, do people not get that the elimination of the penny requires a complete revamp of pricing? As in "buying poo poo at a retailer may not result in an amount due that cannot be paid without single cents".

Unless you want to argue the complete removal of cash, of course. :can:

Nevermind, didn't see this:

But lol at anyone lobbying for the removal of the Penny getting anywhere in US politics by exemplifying Canada.
You know what, that actually sounds pretty nifty.

You're making a stupidly weird argument. The base unit is the dollar. A penny is one cent, i.e. 1/100th of a dollar. The fact that it's a fractional unit is in the name of the unit and the way we write prices...

Even if the definition didn't go that direction, it wouldn't matter at all. There's no loving fundamental unit of currency that needs to exist or the system explodes. You could scale it however you want. A cent is no more or less legitimate as a unit than a half cent, a nickel or a dollar.

Do you think prices are always integer multiples of pennies now? Most of the time when you have a sales tax or a percentage discount your final price needs to be rounded to the nearest cent because it's the smallest available unit of currency and you can't pay two thirds of a cent. If you don't have a penny, you do the exact same thing but round to the nickel. There is no fundamental change in how anything would work.

Oh, and the US half penny was still worth more than a present day dime when it was discontinued.

T.C. fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Nov 24, 2015

TNO
Jul 9, 2006

I drank all your Kool-Aid.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Like, I get that this is SA and we need to argue for the argument's sake, but you do know that he means the penny as the smallest denomination of the currency (or unit) that makes up larger denominations like the quarter and the dollar? A quarter is 25 units of 'penny', a dollar is 100 units of 'penny', like the number 1 is the smallest non-fractional number, of which 1,000,000 units make up a million etc.

On the other hand, do people not get that the elimination of the penny requires a complete revamp of pricing? As in "buying poo poo at a retailer may not result in an amount due that cannot be paid without single cents".

Unless you want to argue the complete removal of cash, of course. :can:

Nevermind, didn't see this:

But lol at anyone lobbying for the removal of the Penny getting anywhere in US politics by exemplifying Canada.
You know what, that actually sounds pretty nifty.

They don't need to use Canada as an example. The US military already does it at their overseas bases and has been for at least a decade.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Like, I get that this is SA and we need to argue for the argument's sake,

Apparently what you don't get is that someone may be arguing with you because you're a loving idiot with making half-formed arguments from baseless assumptions, and not out of boredom. If I wanted to be pointless adversarial, I just tell you to go gently caress yourself with a cheese grater.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I say get rid of the penny just so we can re-use the plots for Superman III and Office Space and allow their scheme to REALLY make them rich.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

tarlibone posted:

On the notion that rounding up or down to the nearest 5¢ is too imprecise to be a feasible solution to the penny problem: let's be honest: it's not like transactions always, or even usually, end up in units of 1/100ths of a dollar currently. That's a result of rounding.

In my town in Illinois, the non-food sales tax is 7.25%. So if I buy something for $7.49, I actually have to pay $8.033025. But I can't pay that because we don't have a .3025¢ piece, or even .0005¢ or .0001¢ pieces which we could use several of to come up to .3025¢. So we round it off: $8.03. See, $7.49 + 7.25% doesn't really equal $8.03. That's just what we go with because over a hundred years ago, we decided not to bother cutting up the dollar into more than 100 units. This was back when you could do something with a penny, it should be noted. I mean, could send a letter or something. But it was something.

So instead of $8.03, it'd be either $8.05 or $8.00. Yes, it's less precise, but it's not going to put anyone in hawk.

Slavish devotion to uselessly small amounts of money that result from messy math almost got Superman killed. Do you want to almost kill Superman? Or make a robot chick who isn't sexy? Because that's what'll happen if we keep the penny.

There's a slight difference between rounding up to the nearest cent and rounding up to the nearest nickel. If you're wal-mart, that's probably a billion dollar difference, for example.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The Bank of England got rid of the half-penny in 1984 but so far we've held on to the 1p and 2p and there doesn't seem to be a real movement to drop it yet. In 1971 we (well, before I was born) also managed to do an entire switch of the coin system from one based on 240 pence in the pound to a decimal system...

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Cole posted:

There's a slight difference between rounding up to the nearest cent and rounding up to the nearest nickel. If you're wal-mart, that's probably a billion dollar difference, for example.

Not rounding up. Rounding normally. There's a big (loving monumental) difference.

Also remember that rounding could/would be for cash only. But cards. Both of those mean that your objection is not really important.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
Yeah anything ending in 1, 2, 6 and 7 gets rounded down, anything on 3, 4, 8 and 9 gets rounded up. It evens out. The Netherlands and Finland do it as well here in the Eurozone.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The only problem I see with that is that prices here are almost always X.99 so it would always round up but it's 1 cent so who loving cares and I use plastic anyway.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Unless you're making thousands of purchases a day it wouldn't have a negative effect on any individual person. Companies would probably start to take advantage of it in some way but that's no different than how things are now.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

IRQ posted:

The only problem I see with that is that prices here are almost always X.99 so it would always round up but it's 1 cent so who loving cares and I use plastic anyway.

It gets applied to the total price so if you buy three items ending on .99 the total price will be rounded down.

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer
This thread argues more about the penny than the Syrian refugees in the same episode. I guess that means we all agree it's a horrid practice what Congress is doing.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Pews posted:

This thread argues more about the penny than the Syrian refugees in the same episode. I guess that means we all agree it's a horrid practice what Congress is doing.
Somehow this thread manages to be less terrible than the rest of the internet when it comes to refugees.

I still can't believe how many youtube dislikes Oliver's refugee bit got, and that was before the Paris attacks.

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

Echo Chamber posted:

Somehow this thread manages to be less terrible than the rest of the internet when it comes to refugees.

I still can't believe how many youtube dislikes Oliver's refugee bit got, and that was before the Paris attacks.

Yea actually now that I think about it, please continue with the penny talk.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

Pews posted:

Yeah who knew Americans had their priorities mixed up.

It's just fractions of a penny, it's not hurting anybody.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

IRQ posted:

You know, not everyone uses $X.99. Some places are $X.97, some $X.96, and so on. I'd imagine that they'd switch to $X.95, which still accomplishes what they are truly doing: tricking your brain by making things appear cheaper on the dollar side of the decimal. That is literally the only reason stuff costs $0.99 instead of $1.00. Hell, gas uses $X.999 for this reason. So they'd either abandon that strategy, something Dollar General and Family Dollar stores have done, or they'd keep it but drop the price to $X.95.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

IRQ posted:

In states with sales tax (most of them) the final price of a $X.99 item is not necessarily going to end in 9 anyway.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

tarlibone posted:

You know, not everyone uses $X.99. Some places are $X.97, some $X.96, and so on. I'd imagine that they'd switch to $X.95, which still accomplishes what they are truly doing: tricking your brain by making things appear cheaper on the dollar side of the decimal. That is literally the only reason stuff costs $0.99 instead of $1.00. Hell, gas uses $X.999 for this reason. So they'd either abandon that strategy, something Dollar General and Family Dollar stores have done, or they'd keep it but drop the price to $X.95.

Exactly all the .99 would become .95 they'd lose way more sales if they bumped up the leftmost number.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Austrian mook posted:

I remember Canada phasing out the penny. They just told retailers to still accept them for a couple months and not hand them out in change. Now everything comes to a 5 cent unless you use your card. No hassle whatsoever. lol

Yup, and I remember the local SPCA doing a mini-campaign of 'give us all your pennies, they go away soon anyway!'

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
American currency operates under a decimal system, so if we're gonna phase out the penny let's just go ahead and phase out the nickel too.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The 99 cents on the end of the price was originally to make sure that cashiers had to open the register to get a penny of change instead of just pocketing it. Tricking people into thinking that they're paying less is a stupid idea that might have a slight affect, but it's one of those stupid sales techniques that just makes the world a worse place.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

JT Jag posted:

American currency operates under a decimal system, so if we're gonna phase out the penny let's just go ahead and phase out the nickel too.

Naw, just phase out the penny

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Austrian mook posted:

Naw, just phase out the penny
But if we phased out the nickel we'd be able to go all modern and write out prices like "14.9" instead of "14.90"

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I didnt know thwre was such a large group of people desperate to hold on to the penny for mathematical purity or whatever but that makes me want to see it removed ten times more than i did

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

JT Jag posted:

Then we would have to get rid of the quarter too, which would probably bother people a lot more than the penny.

Getting rid of the quarter might also require cranking up production on the 50-cent piece to bridge the gap between the dime and the dollar.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

withak posted:

Then we would have to get rid of the quarter too, which would probably bother people a lot more than the penny.
Change it to the quinter, or 20 cent piece

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

JT Jag posted:

Why stop there? I don't see why we need anything smaller than quarters.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Austrian mook posted:

I didnt know thwre was such a large group of people desperate to hold on to the penny for mathematical purity or whatever but that makes me want to see it removed ten times more than i did

I'm with this guy, I like what he's saying.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

IRQ posted:

I'm making this the corner stone of my 2040 presidential campaign!

But really, this needs to happen before 2050 at current inflation rates. Preferably well before.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

JT Jag posted:

But if we phased out the nickel we'd be able to go all modern and write out prices like "14.9" instead of "14.90"

You just know there would be people out there that would read that as meaning "14 dollars and nine cents", aka 14.09, though.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
As was said earlier, we should cut everything but the quarter right now given when we cut the hay penny. By 2040 could cut quarter too. Maybe then we could demote the dollar, the five and the ten coins to make up for the loss of coins & start bills at the 20.

Or stop using physical currency and keep track of everything to 50th decimal place, it's all good.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mavric posted:

:agreed:

edit: though actually didn't they completely do away with money in the federation?
Yeah, there's no money in intra-Federation transactions, but latinum is a recognized currency, specifically with respect to the Ferengi.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

IRQ posted:

The Oregon Country Fair(hippie music and art festival) does this and it is loving awesome. It's a three day festival but I used to work there and be there for like a week and that's just enough time to get used to it so going back to the real world of dimes, nickels, and pennies sucks.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Paper Kaiju posted:

Apparently what you don't get is that someone may be arguing with you because you're a loving idiot with making half-formed arguments from baseless assumptions, and not out of boredom. If I wanted to be pointless adversarial, I just tell you to go gently caress yourself with a cheese grater.

Like I was the one originally arguing with you with some opinion and not pointing out what I think he was trying to tell you. Solid edge, too.

In show-related things, what was the last season's final end, did he recap the season as well in medley form?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

IRQ posted:

I do. And I have a solution to all of these problems. That solution is: feet are better than meters. gently caress decimals.

The base unit will still be the dollar, and you'll have coins for a half dollar, quarter dollar, eighth dollar, and sixteenth dollar. No more $1.99. Now it's $1 15/16.

Also, we'd have third dollar coins. They're worth a third of a dollar, because gently caress that first 3 for $1 item being $0.34 every time. That's communism.

• Locked thread