Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Great White Hope posted:

That wasn't a test performed by WWE.

Also he'll be back within 12 months, probably six months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Gonzo McFee posted:

Several, although they've made rules that his don't count anymore.

It probably has been 2 years since his last one at this point, meaning he'd be back at 0.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm almost scared to watch the first video from Filthy Tom's contest, because the picture the audio painted in my head was too sweet.

Edit: JR thinks that English people don't often eat spicy food :laugh:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Nov 24, 2015

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Here's the jewelry store ad featuring Paul Boesch Dave talked about on the podcast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1h3aKY5lbM

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
"There was a moment there where I just wanted to just push a button and have them all explode"

-Dave Meltzer, ISIS Kingpin

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

cronox2 posted:

"There was a moment there where I just wanted to just push a button and have them all explode"

-Dave Meltzer, ISIS Kingpin

Almost as good as the time he said he wanted to chuck a grenade at The Miz

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I loved when Bryan made some joke about Mark Henry having an eye for talent and MELTZER BOT 3000 WAS UNABLE TO PARSE THAT SENTANCE BEEP BOOP

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Dave is the best.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

Do wwe even really enforce that stuff with any kind of effort anymore, let alone on people they presumably are paying a lot of money for?

Someone (might have been Dave) said they test for it, but they let performers know ahead of time so it gets out of their system beforehand.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

LordPants posted:

I loved when Bryan made some joke about Mark Henry having an eye for talent and MELTZER BOT 3000 WAS UNABLE TO PARSE THAT SENTANCE BEEP BOOP

To be fair Meltzer no-sells Bryans jokes all the time even when he does get them

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Just curious: The report Meltzer wrote about the Charlotte press release ultimately ends up being different to what WWE ultimately said, did he ever say why that was since his report seemed pretty certain about the contents.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

DrVenkman posted:

Just curious: The report Meltzer wrote about the Charlotte press release ultimately ends up being different to what WWE ultimately said, did he ever say why that was since his report seemed pretty certain about the contents.

Dave said someone from WWE contacted him prior to the report going out, trying to sell him on Charlotte being the one pushing for that angle. So, I would guess that's where the content of the front page article came from.

My presumption is by getting out in front of the story, he shamed them into the noncommittal "subject matter this personal is only approved as a result of the strong advocacy of the talent themselves. Notwithstanding that, WWE is ultimately responsible for what airs in its programming" statement, but your take may vary.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Lol at Bryan not knowing anything about Starrcade 83

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

sportsgenius86 posted:

Lol at Bryan not knowing anything about Starrcade 83

I was curious how far Dave would take his retelling of the WCW timeline. He just kept going and going haha

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash

DrVenkman posted:

It's another example of Meltzarian journalism. Dave knew that Charlotte didn't insist on that line about Reid, probably because his long-time source Ric Flair told him. Dave can't site that conversation with Flair in the Observer, because that would gently caress Ric over with WWE. Since literally every person employed by WWE has this same kind of dynamic where they can't openly speak with Dave, essentially all of his reporting goes without a named source. So, you never really know how much reporting has been done, and how much inferring Dave is doing. This Charlotte story was easy to know, because Ric and Dave go way back, but many stories are left wide open. Add to this, Dave is often reporting on issues that have Vince's final say-so, and Vince can change his mind on the drop of a dime.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

not giving up your sources, another example of Meltzarian Journalism

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Bryan and Dave are truly the Woodward and Bernstein of podcasts about muscley wrestlepersons.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DrVenkman posted:

The press release read pretty much exactly as I expected from his report, they couldn't have put it any more on her without saying "We blame Charlotte."

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Do gators talk like that?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

oatgan posted:

Do gators talk like that?

OORA OORA OORA

"What was that Dave?"

"oora oora oora"

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i assumed the oora oora oora thing is from a historically black fraternity. gently caress florida but i've only ever seen them do the gator chomp

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

epitasis posted:

i assumed the oora oora oora thing is from a historically black fraternity. gently caress florida but i've only ever seen them do the gator chomp

it is, it's from whichever frat he was in

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

This WOR was so entertaining. "I don't think alligators bark Dave." That needs to be in the thread title.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"What if they put a chair on the table and THEN did the PTO!"
"Oh well she'd need to taken out on a stretcher."

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

81sidewinder posted:

It's another example of Meltzarian journalism. Dave knew that Charlotte didn't insist on that line about Reid, probably because his long-time source Ric Flair told him. Dave can't site that conversation with Flair in the Observer, because that would gently caress Ric over with WWE. Since literally every person employed by WWE has this same kind of dynamic where they can't openly speak with Dave, essentially all of his reporting goes without a named source. So, you never really know how much reporting has been done, and how much inferring Dave is doing. This Charlotte story was easy to know, because Ric and Dave go way back, but many stories are left wide open. Add to this, Dave is often reporting on issues that have Vince's final say-so, and Vince can change his mind on the drop of a dime.

Just like steroids, you can tell when someone talks to dave, but you can't tell whose not talking.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

"What if they put a chair on the table and THEN did the PTO!"
"Oh well she'd need to taken out on a stretcher."

That's just science, obviously.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

LordPants posted:

I liked how that exchange happened and then like 10 minutes later Dave made a joke about the Paige/Charlotte match being a "bright idea" and then had to explain to Bryan that he was being sarcastic.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The new B&V is out with the Vinny V hair metal song contest. They said last week they had 45 entries. The show's an hour and a half long!

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I have a feeling this might be the first Cheap Heat where all three guys are negative about the product.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I hope Shoemaker continues to talk about outrage culture.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The Ryan call on WOL today was a classic

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

holy poo poo how many of the entries in the contest use "jump" by van halen

EDIT: HAHA HOLY poo poo I WON

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Nov 25, 2015

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

sportsgenius86 posted:

The Ryan call on WOL today was a classic

"Ryan.... are you scared?"
"Whoops I hung up on him."

Cardboard Box posted:

Well done!

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Enjoy your prize

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
If you want to listen to Austin justifiably run down the current product for an hour plus the new show with Keller on Unleashed is a must-listen.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Other B&V show highlights
1. Bryan telling a story about being backstage with the Villanos
2. Vinny burying the DVDVR guys

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

Cardboard Box posted:

holy poo poo how many of the entries in the contest use "jump" by van halen

Congrats. I take it you are the one with the awesome medley?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

nah i was the one who did the bon jovi one about pee

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Anyone listen to Meltzer on Jim Ross? Worth listening if I usually don't listen to Ross?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Cardboard Box posted:

nah i was the one who did the bon jovi one about pee

I haven't listened to B&V yet but know that the pisscast is pleased.

• Locked thread