Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

my morning jackass posted:

I'm wanting to play a WWII based strategy game and some people here mentioned HoI isn't very good. I haven't really played any similar titles and I have read it's pretty involved so would there be something similar anyone here would suggest?

Even turn based combat stuff would be okay.

what kind of scale do you want? the entire war, one theater (the pacific, north africa, w/e), single battles, tactics...? there's a lot of ww2 games out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Darkest Hour is good.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

it's a bit of a steep learning curve if you're used to slick clausewitz engine games like eu4 and ck2 though. really i'd advise just waiting for 4.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I don't know why people say hoi2 or its descendants are complicated. It's actually disgustingly simple.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Stairmaster posted:

I don't know why people say hoi2 or its descendants are complicated. It's actually disgustingly simple.

That's because they don't understand the difference between complexity and poor presentation. Hoi3 isn't all that complicated, it's the interface tha makes me poo poo blood whenever I start up a game and look at the starting divisional three of any major. having to spend 20 minutes shuffling hq's around every time is not fun. stalin was right, shoot these cunts in the dick

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

it's more like hearts of aids 3

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

PleasingFungus posted:

what kind of scale do you want? the entire war, one theater (the pacific, north africa, w/e), single battles, tactics...? there's a lot of ww2 games out there.

would prefer more entire war/theatre based stuff but if there is a small scale game that is pretty good that's fine. I like detailed unit stuff kinda like in wargame but I couldn't handle the micro in an rts.

Hoi 3 is like 2 dollars right now so I may as well get it but would welcome other suggestions.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

would prefer more entire war/theatre based stuff but if there is a small scale game that is pretty good that's fine. I like detailed unit stuff kinda like in wargame but I couldn't handle the micro in an rts.

Hoi 3 is like 2 dollars right now so I may as well get it but would welcome other suggestions.

just wait for 4 dude

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Average Bear posted:

It's ironman and I can't use the console. The revolution is pretty useless in the AIs hand because any strong enough nation to be revolutionary will crush 3 medium sized rebel stacks. So it's just some extra endgame fun after I've already won anyway.

I think there needs to be some late game DHE war or something to encourage a huge disaster for a major power. Or more late game features in general.

The revolution disaster needs to be keyed up to be as fleshed out as the reformation/league wars. More conflict between colonial powers over their colonies would be chill too. That said I don't see how you make the lategame interesting for the player without more stuff to handicap expansion so that challenge isn't over by 1700

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

If this goes badly, and I make a crater, I want it named after me!
I kinda wish that they'd just give 4 or 5 different start dates, but I think the devs said they were planning on eliminating start dates aside from the first one altogether.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Please help me. I have such mapgame fever that I'm trying to get the Steam stream feature thing to work so I can play CK2 without a desk.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
- Trebizond leader list is no longer made up of the Trabzonspor footballteam.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

I'm wanting to play a WWII based strategy game and some people here mentioned HoI isn't very good. I haven't really played any similar titles and I have read it's pretty involved so would there be something similar anyone here would suggest?

paradox hoi isnt great but the fan expansion commercial hoi thing Darkest Hour is... acceptable

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
dont buy hoi3 unless like you like being mad

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
- Development levels over 30 no longer contribute to higher coring and culture conversion costs.

That poo poo was making the midgame and extreme lategame so loving annoying when your conquer an OPM somewhere and whoops 70 development ha ha

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
lmao

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

dont buy hoi3 unless like you like being mad

It's a very confusing game but I will try to learn a bit and see how it goes. 4 does look like an improvement for sure just in terms of managing troop movement

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

If you're familiar with Panzer General or the like, then Unity of Command is a pretty cool turn-based game. One of the few games where I'd consider the AI to be smart by any measure.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
it sometimes tends toward being a puzzle game, especially when trying to get all of the objectives on some of the tighter maps, but yeah unity of command is real good. I'm a fan.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
How's the Cossacks

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
It's pretty good.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It kinda sucks that forts changed again just when I was getting used to them, however all the new achievements are awesome. I don't have the DLC yet though... waiting for my paycheck. Also the new fort changes mean if you build a line of forts, it actually works like a line of forts instead of them being able to siege one and cruise on through in most cases.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
I feel like the incremental changes to stuff have made the game more difficult. Both types of expansion eating repeated nerfs has made the balance so much harder to get... i love this loving game.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Plan Z posted:

If you're familiar with Panzer General or the like, then Unity of Command is a pretty cool turn-based game. One of the few games where I'd consider the AI to be smart by any measure.

This sounds right up my alley after reading about it. I'll wish list it and hope for a sale

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i just wanted to say unity of command is extremely good and owns, thanks.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
When does that new space paradox game out and is it going to suck? I want to paint space in my color please.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

When does that new space paradox game out and is it going to suck? I want to paint space in my color please.

It's gonig to come out in the future and it's going to be good.

There's also a map game on steam with furries in it. i remember this part very clearly

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

BBJoey posted:

i just wanted to say unity of command is extremely good and owns, thanks.

I like unity of command a lot but I wish it was more forgiving with VPs and turn limits cause it can be pretty grueling if you aren't very good at the game (like me)

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

No one knows, but my personal prediction is fall 2016 at the earliest. Signs point to it being Good, possibly even Very Good.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Agean90 posted:

No one knows, but my personal prediction is fall 2016 at the earliest. Signs point to it being Good, possibly even Very Good.

the release date they accidentally posted was feb 16, 2016.

for whatever that's worth

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

have the post-dlc bugs been fixed yet?

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I'm really glad they added the most annoying feature from EUIV in CK2, where expanding via war is already slow

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Raserys posted:

I'm really glad they added the most annoying feature from EUIV in CK2, where expanding via war is already slow

What feature

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/dev-diary-11-stopping-the-snowball.896247/

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also expansion in CK2 is way faster than EU4 if you aren't a retard... You just expand in big chunks instead of little by little. However the CK2 team is going to release a half-assed coalition mechanic in the next DLC that will go totally unbalanced for another 8 months or whatever while they make another DLC

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 8, 2015

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

Also expansion in CK2 is way faster than EU4 if you aren't a retard... You just expand in big chunks instead of little by little. However the CK2 team is going to release a half-assed coalition mechanic in the next DLC that will go totally unbalanced for another 8 months or whatever while they make another DLC

Yeah unless you are like a jain who can't marry into big claims you can pretty much swallow huge rear end tracts on wars quite quickly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Complaining about expansion being too slow is for the games thread where everyone watched captain Andy fabricate his way across Britain for 150 years.