Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

this could have been avoided if they had just released the game complete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Stairmaster posted:

this could have been avoided if they had just released the game complete.

it still wouldn't be out

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

quote:

3. WORKSHOP IS NOT AVAILABLE AT THE BEGINNING but will be added later. Levels can be shared locally by sending the level folders around.

So they are doing WADs... interesting. Maybe that will allow custom assets to be inserted.

MariusLecter posted:

Why do I even have this thread bookmarked anymore?

You can leave any time you like. There's the door.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

lets hang out posted:

it still wouldn't be out

I could live with that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I only found this because of RPS http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/11/18/hotline-miami-mods/

Holy poo poo did it take them a long time to get this out (if even)

Kinda too late to matter

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

once i thought fondly of hotline miami

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

once i thought fondly of hotline miami

Achewood of videogames

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

actually worryingly accurate

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

RZApublican posted:

Achewood of videogames

This should be the thread subtitle, it fits so good.

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015

RZApublican posted:

Achewood of videogames

I don't regret making this

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Hotline Miami 2 was a very good game. I can't wait for the map editor!

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I liked Hotline Miami 2 a lot, I still don't see the appeal of a level editor.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Geight posted:

I liked Hotline Miami 2 a lot, I still don't see the appeal of a level editor.

You'd get that appeal more if you didn't like it a lot.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I see where you're coming from there, but I feel like if we're being honest, Hotline Miami (as a whole) has pretty shallow gameplay and people assembling rectangles of various size and color together won't be nearly as fun as some are hoping it will be.

That said, I'll be happy to be wrong and I earnestly hope someone makes something interesting with it, just so that all the effort put into making the tool wasn't wasted.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Geight posted:

I see where you're coming from there, but I feel like if we're being honest, Hotline Miami (as a whole) has pretty shallow gameplay and people assembling rectangles of various size and color together won't be nearly as fun as some are hoping it will be.

That said, I'll be happy to be wrong and I earnestly hope someone makes something interesting with it, just so that all the effort put into making the tool wasn't wasted.

Oh, you're right about that, but it'd see all the Hotline Miami 2 assets and characters put together in a game that doesn't have HLM2's terrible map design. It was a buggy game, but I'm sure it'd still be fun if it wasn't all offscreen shots and glass corridors.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Skyscraper posted:

Oh, you're right about that, but it'd see all the Hotline Miami 2 assets and characters put together in a game that doesn't have HLM2's terrible map design. It was a buggy game, but I'm sure it'd still be fun if it wasn't all offscreen shots and glass corridors.

Well, thing is we're still going to get a ton of levels that have offscreen shots through glass, probably even worse.

But hopefully there'll be a few good maps that get everybody's attention. Same with Mario Maker.

There's gonna be a bunch of "bet you can never beat this!" impossible levels that just aren't fun.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Zaphod42 posted:

Well, thing is we're still going to get a ton of levels that have offscreen shots through glass, probably even worse.

But hopefully there'll be a few good maps that get everybody's attention. Same with Mario Maker.

There's gonna be a bunch of "bet you can never beat this!" impossible levels that just aren't fun.

Oh, no doubt, people will make every kind of dumb level possible, but I'm sure they'll crank out some amazing stuff too.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Will the editor be open for custom tile sets and characters? Will we be seeing maps inspired by The Matrix, Leon, Old Boy, etc?

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I seem to remember that the creator has to beat the level before it's allowed to go up, so that'll cut down on a lot of tedious bullshit levels right off the bat. I'm anticipating at what people can do with it, honestly.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
One dynamic that could be interesting in maps (and will also be exploited for godawful "Kaizo" purposes) is the exploding meth lab.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

A Bystander posted:

I seem to remember that the creator has to beat the level before it's allowed to go up, so that'll cut down on a lot of tedious bullshit levels right off the bat. I'm anticipating at what people can do with it, honestly.

They did this with Mario Maker too, FYI.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I just wanna mess around and see what I can do.

A house made of glass and shattered dreams, a meth lab where the guys can see it all, a BYOB strip club, the possibilities are endless.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I want someone to just remake HLM2 without the bullshit in the map editor.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

TheJoker138 posted:

Same. I think a lot of people want this.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Yeah, well, that isn't happening.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I was planning on making an alternate universe story with Biker, Manny and The Henchman in 1992 after the 50 Blessings Movement fizzled after Biker killed the two leaders. Maybe that'll scratch the itch? v:v:v

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Skunkrocker posted:

Yeah, well, that isn't happening.

It isn't happening, that people are going to remake the core levels with improvements? Are you going to stop them, or are you saying it isn't going to come out? Or just that it's impossible?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
No one who thinks they can recreate and "improve" the base levels will actually be good enough at level design to do so

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Improbable Lobster posted:

No one who thinks they can recreate and "improve" the base levels will actually be good enough at level design to do so

It wouldn't be particularly hard- removing some/many of the guns and breaking up long vertical hallways would do a lot of it.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
every map is going to be a building with 4-5 rooms mostly filled with melee enemies and zero challenge

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

I figure most people will just make their houses. That's probably all I'm going to do at least.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Paul Revere 3000 posted:

I figure most people will just make their houses. That's probably all I'm going to do at least.

With one fat dude in front of a katana collection :911: A beautiful level.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

It wouldn't be particularly hard- removing some/many of the guns and breaking up long vertical hallways would do a lot of it.

Yeah, all you have to do to fix the base levels would be to get rid of like, 25-50% of the windows, and the same amount of guns, and putting a few doors in the hallways where there are dudes off screen. It's not rocket science.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Paul Revere 3000 posted:

Or my workplace. :black101:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Make undertale hotline Miami crossover

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Skyscraper posted:

It isn't happening, that people are going to remake the core levels with improvements? Are you going to stop them, or are you saying it isn't going to come out? Or just that it's impossible?

Improbable Lobster posted:

This is pretty much what I meant. The "improved" HLM2 levels will probably be terrible. :smith:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
here's dead ahead but everyone is either a ninja or a gunner behind cover

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

CascadeBeta posted:

I was planning on making an alternate universe story with Biker, Manny and The Henchman in 1992 after the 50 Blessings Movement fizzled after Biker killed the two leaders. Maybe that'll scratch the itch? v:v:v

Yeah I'll probably just make what I expected HLM2 to be like. Maybe it'll be better, maybe it'll be worse!

TheJoker138 posted:

e: oh I misread that as the bs being in the map editor, not hlm 2. :v:

BillmasterCozb posted:

here's dead ahead but everyone is either a ninja or a gunner behind cover

still better than hard mode dead ahead.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

The Saddest Rhino posted:

The friendly RPG where everyone has to die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Do you like hugging other people?

• Locked thread