Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GaiaShell
Mar 11, 2002

Today's daily was fun

All that + 2 transformations.

Take the curse rooms, there's a Goat Head very early on. First Angel Room is Sacred Heart. It just keeps building from there.

Got My Reflection in The Chest, didn't even care. Made for a good screenshot, heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Tetracube posted:

Got Hush down to 20% as keeper and then died to a stray bullet from being careless. gently caress me

Anyone have any tips for this?

Play slot machines as much as you can, try to get 3 orbiting flies, or at least some other combination of 3 orbitals. You wont be completely immune but it helps a lot against hush. Also get anything that helps you generate coins, so visit every shop and bomb every shopkeeper (including ones not in shops) since they can drop head of the keeper. If you get a wheel of fortune card,bring it to the boss room and play the slot machine until a bunch of coins drop, then bomb it for more coins (hopefully). You can also bomb blood banks from temperance cards, or kill beggars from judgement cards. I think justice can spawn coins too.

Also try to get a higher speed if you can, keeper is slow and with your default speed you'll get hosed by hush's ice tornado things.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Something I noticed with spidermod and later a very OP build. Follower/bomb damage is not affected by the damage nerfing on either boss. Sad bombs, brimstone, guppy, curse of the tower, a grip of damage ups and a blasting cap decimated the hush in seconds. Just trigger the curse, watch your computer cave in and receive a million flies instantly.

??? died from a single trigger

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dr. Fetus posted:

It's bugged. (Despite some people thinking it's fixed.) It's supposed to fire 30 tears per second, which doubles Isaac's DPS, but is actually capped at 15 tears per second, meaning that it's always a DPS downgrade unless you have Libra or Explosivo.

It will double your dps if you already attack very slowly, like with polyphemus/inner eye/mutant spider/sacred heart.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I did a Keeper run earlier where I got the Piggy Bank and there was about 5 times where I got hit and didn't drop any money.

I also had a run with ??? where I got Steam Sale, Restock, and a soul heart in the shop with a blod bank on the floor. I put two full life totals into the thing and each time it only dropped one coin (once it was a nickle though).

Has anyone else noticed the payouts on these being lower? Possibly they got nerfed a bit in the last patch to prevent breaking runs.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
So, does the order in which you pick up items matter in this game? (ignoring hardcoded caps and so on)

Like, for instance, if there was no cap to the tear per second thing would it be the same to pick, say, 2 damage ups and then soymilk instead of soymild and then the damage ups?

My guess is that order matters (a lot) but I haven't really checked.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

trucutru posted:

So, does the order in which you pick up items matter in this game? (ignoring hardcoded caps and so on)

Like, for instance, if there was no cap to the tear per second thing would it be the same to pick, say, 2 damage ups and then soymilk instead of soymild and then the damage ups?

My guess is that order matters (a lot) but I haven't really checked.

I asked this question earlier in the thread and apparently order doesn't matter.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Jibo posted:

I did a Keeper run earlier where I got the Piggy Bank and there was about 5 times where I got hit and didn't drop any money.

I also had a run with ??? where I got Steam Sale, Restock, and a soul heart in the shop with a blod bank on the floor. I put two full life totals into the thing and each time it only dropped one coin (once it was a nickle though).

Has anyone else noticed the payouts on these being lower? Possibly they got nerfed a bit in the last patch to prevent breaking runs.

Piggy Bank was nerfed specifically for the Keeper. Not sure about the Blood Bank.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Damage is calculated by taking your damage increases and adding them up then applying your highest multiplier and Soy Milk is special in that even after that it applies a .1 multiplier.

So with the base damage 35 and Soy Milk you get 3.5 damage. Now if you pick up something that adds 15 damage and a 2x multiplier you would get 10 damage rather than 22.5.

I think that's how it works anyway, and my actual values may not be right.

Jibo fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Nov 25, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Jibo posted:

Damage is calculated by taking your damage increases and adding them up then applying your multipliers and Soy Milk is special in that even after that it applies a .1 multiplier.

So with the base damage 35 and Soy Milk you get 3.5 damage. Now if you pick up something that adds 15 damage and a 2x multiplier you would get 10 damage rather than 22.5.

I think that's how it works anyway, and my actual values may not be right.

Soy milk sets tear delay to (base delay/4)-2 and multiplies damage by .2. At normal tear delay that will set your delay to 0, which is intended to give you 30 tears per second but the game hard caps tears at 15/second. Normal tear rate is ~3 per second, so you end up with 5x fire rate but 1/5 damage normally and a bit worse with normal tears up items. Pick up Eve's Mascara and you're still at 2 or less delay (delay is in frames, game runs at 30 fps), so you still get 15/second only now your damage gets bumped up to .4, doubling your dps.

Another example: Polyphemus + Soy Milk takes Isaac from 3.5 damage, 3 times a second to 3 damage, 7.5 times a second. Add in some regular tear ups or even just Number One and you get 3 damage, 15 times a second. Add in a big damage up like 8 inch nails and you hit just under 4 damage. Add in Sacred Heart (a tear delay multiplier that stacks with Polyphemus for SLOW fire rate) and you're still at 2 delay, now 9.2 damage, 15 times a second. Eve's Mascara fixes a round off error at this point, putting you to 18.5 damage, 6 times a second so maybe don't pick that up without Cancer, which will bump you back up to 10 per second. Mom's Perfume or another direct delay item will then put you back to 15. You now have something retarded like 277 dps and you haven't even started stacking things like 20/20 or Mutant Spider (Mutant Spider, Inner Eye, and Polyphemus share the same multiplier so you can stack them without getting any slower).

TL;DR: You almost always at least break even with Soy Milk and it's amazing if you have 2 delay multipliers or more. It will ALWAYS put your delay either at the minimum or low enough that Cancer, Mom's Perfume, Capricorn, Guillotine, Cricket's Body, Pisces or Antigravity will make you ridiculous.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Nov 25, 2015

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Been randomly doing hardcore runs to fill out post-its and trying to unlock the Lost, and my Azazeal runs have been insane.
Both runs I ended up with D4 on the first floors, and pretty much everytime it filled it I'd mash it until I got something interesting.
With Lamb I had Epic Fetus and Mutant Spider, on my Chest run I had Number 1 with Monstro's Lung and enough damage to choke a horse, or you know, one shot any boss.
Both of them I ended up with No. 2, which is extremely annoying.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Dr. Fetus posted:

The devs CLAIMED they fixed it. They actually didn't, as people who actually tested it for themselves found out.

(Soy Milk, Evil Eye, Small Rock)

Doesn't Evil Eye just match your normal tears exactly? I guess it doesn't respect the minimum delay

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Found a great combo when doing a few mega satan runs from my Random No. I think it was Death's Touch, Tractor Beam, Anti-grav and Dead Eye. Basically just wind up a bunch of scythes and then let them rip through enemies with increasing damage. Dead Eye timing I don't quite understand, but all the scythes I was building up were empowered and holding their charge with anti-grav keeping them from launching. I've heard some people talking poo poo about tractor beam being boring or useless, but I think it's one of my favorite new items.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Charm of the Vampire + Sagittarius + Old Bandage + Nun's Habit with Maggie pretty much trivialized the Hush fight completely. All of his spawns kept my health up long enough to outlast him.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

So, the greed machine can jam at 0%

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Prop Wash posted:

So, the greed machine can jam at 0%

It's been brought up before. The percentage it displayed is rounded down, so it was probably actually something like 0.4%.

Still loving annoying, but at least there's a reason for it.

KamikazeJim
Sep 15, 2006

oh fuck are you seeing this bomb man. ARE YOU SEEING THIS?
Ridiculon has a 2 track Binding of Isaac Christmas themed EP, The Binding of Christmas, available for preorder on Bandcamp, with a name your own price, minimum of US$1.

http://ridiculon.bandcamp.com/album/the-binding-of-christmas

You can currently listen to the first track, which is a retelling of the intro, in the style of T'Was The Night Before Christmas.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

THANK GOD. My hands are shaking.

Now all I need is to find all the items. I've never even seen toxic shock even while mass-restarting with lost/keeper

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:
Blows my mind that more than zero people actually use the flash filter.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Vic Boss posted:

Blows my mind that more than zero people actually use the flash filter.

Same, except for not using it.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Had a great run with lost spoiled in womb 2 by a big room with 4 invulnerable laser eyes and mom hands and those sucking things. From the door I had nowhere to go but the middle the suck was too much.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Haha, Fruitcake + Dr. Fetus = Random bomb effects. They really thought of everything! (Except making sure their goddamn game works.)

Jusupov posted:

Had a great run with lost spoiled in womb 2 by a big room with 4 invulnerable laser eyes and mom hands and those sucking things. From the door I had nowhere to go but the middle the suck was too much.

Save and quit and then continue the game, you'll be back at the entrance.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

BJPaskoff posted:

Haha, Fruitcake + Dr. Fetus = Random bomb effects. They really thought of everything! (Except making sure their goddamn game works.)

I think what's great is when combos work as you'd expect and what's even greater is when combos do things that are completely insane.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Regarding Soy Milk chat, the real reason it's not great is because of knock back. Assuming you don't have piercing tears, the big loss of damage comes from almost immediately pushing enemies out from your super fast stream of shots.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Jibo posted:

Same, except for not using it.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Personally I would prefer that our next thread cycle be "Why my opinion on graphics is the only one that matters" rather than "You're mad. Nuh uh, you're mad".

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

Skaw posted:

Regarding Soy Milk chat, the real reason it's not great is because of knock back. Assuming you don't have piercing tears, the big loss of damage comes from almost immediately pushing enemies out from your super fast stream of shots.
Yeah, to be honest I feel like I wouldn't mind Soy Milk if it disabled knockback because trying to line up shots is a giant pain in the rear end when 50% of your shots are whiffing due to everyone bouncing around willy-nilly.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Got a greed run with d20 and epic monstro glitter bombs. Never got pyromaniac, but I did have the wafer, so I could just facetank the millions of explosions going on around me and be pretty much guaranteed to heal up instantly. Good thing, too, because it's hard to dodge things with guillotine.

Xi over Xi-bar
May 10, 2009

Mystery Prize posted:

Try this, worked wonders for my old lovely laptop:

1.) Open up C:\Users\Username\My Documents\My Games\Binding of Isaac Afterbirth
2.) Open up Options.ini
3.) In Options.ini, set MaxRenderScale=1, and set VSync=0

This gave me a noticeable speed boost, from like 10 fps up to 50 or so in areas with tons of fog or effects.

Thank you for this.
Thank you.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Did they accidentally make Godhead not a special item or anything? I keep seeing that thing in my Keeper runs. :psyduck: And it's carried me through victory a lot. I managed to clear out Boss Rush, Hush, the Chest, and Mega Satan all at once thanks to an early Godhead I found. And then I found the Swallowed Penny and the run was won at that point. I found it again on my next run thanks to Chaos, except I had Mom's Knife at that point, so I couldn't get the halo tears. I died to Teratoma in Sheol. :negative:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Jibo posted:

Personally I would prefer that our next thread cycle be "Why my opinion on graphics is the only one that matters" rather than "You're mad. Nuh uh, you're mad".

It's not everyone else in the world's fault that your opinion objectively is wrong.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Might be a stupid question but do the specific challenges and the daily challenge contribute to the ongoing unlockable items? Like if I destroyed 50 tinted rocks in various challenges and then 50 in the main game would I unlock that item for future runs or are they separate? I kinda view this game as just the main game and I want to just play that and see what crazy poo poo happens but it seems like a lot of items are locked behind beating a specific thing in the main game with certain characters in certain ways, beating the actual challenges and doing other weird stuff which feels like it makes my item pool a bit limited (or it will be in another week or two if I stop seeing 10 new items every run). Reason I'm asking is it seems like I may as well crack on with the challenges since I need to beat the caves 30 times or whatever. I did look at the wikis before asking this but they didn't say anything about it, just that if you input a specific seed then you can't unlock stuff.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
This game is at its worst when you get zero damage ups. I'm trying to get my Mega Satan mark for Eve, which is the last one I need for her. Started incredibly promising with Holy Mantle and Book of Revelations in the first two floors, but I got absolute garbage for the rest of the run. The only reason I stuck with it was that I did manage to build a full key. First and only damage ups I got were in the Womb 2 devil room, Death's Touch and Pentagram. I made it to The Chest and got crap. Tried it anyway but died to the four Super Sins. One of the worst, most tedious runs I've ever played through in this game, just completely dreadful. Took me an hour just to get to the Cathedral cause I was fully exploring each level desperately hoping to get a golden chest with Steven or Cricket's Head. Instead I got Abel and Head of the Keeper. Impotently plinking away at enemies is awful.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 25, 2015

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Dr. Fetus posted:

Did they accidentally make Godhead not a special item or anything? I keep seeing that thing in my Keeper runs. :psyduck: And it's carried me through victory a lot. I managed to clear out Boss Rush, Hush, the Chest, and Mega Satan all at once thanks to an early Godhead I found. And then I found the Swallowed Penny and the run was won at that point. I found it again on my next run thanks to Chaos, except I had Mom's Knife at that point, so I couldn't get the halo tears. I died to Teratoma in Sheol. :negative:

I feel like Keeper has a different set of item pools.

Steelpudding
Apr 21, 2010

I've got Balls of Steel!

Pez posted:

Lilith makes Greed mode so easy, all it takes is the car battery and something to charge your items faster and whammo you have 30 familiars each level

My last run I had car battery, 9 volt, the baby that drops batteries and the Habit

The thing is, if you play as the same character in greed mode a lot, the greed donation machine jams more easily.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
I've got a great run going with Dark Bum, Little C.H.A.D and 20/20, just suffering from a lack of damage item drops, hit a floor with a Curse of the Blind.

"It's probably worth picking up the treasure room item anyway!", Get Soy Milk.

:shepicide:

Curse of the Blind is just a piece of poo poo.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Four trips to Hard Boss Rush as The Lost today, four losses in the first couple of rounds. :(

Holy Mantle as a starting item for him is pretty cool and all but this just keeps giving me false hope and lets me make it to the rush with lackluster builds. I also really wish I could get a rush without the drat red angel.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I'm really liking Fruitcake. The odds of getting a good tear effect are about the same as getting something with a normal tear booster. I'll take the chance of blowing myself up now and again. Just now I got into an Angel room without bombs, and figured I'd try hosing the statue with tears until one blew up. And it worked!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

IMJack posted:

I'm really liking Fruitcake. The odds of getting a good tear effect are about the same as getting something with a normal tear booster. I'll take the chance of blowing myself up now and again. Just now I got into an Angel room without bombs, and figured I'd try hosing the statue with tears until one blew up. And it worked!

Yeah, fruitcake is fun. What's the difference between it and 3 dollar bill again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

AnonSpore posted:

Yeah, fruitcake is fun. What's the difference between it and 3 dollar bill again?

Fruitcake changes every tear while 3 dollar bill cycles over a given time