Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Speaking of big battles, what's a good place to farm for tons and tons of difficult monsters/raiders/whatever that isn't the glowing sea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

lunatikfringe posted:

You can find some pretty big base defense battles on youtube. This guy is annoying as hell but the battle is quite big. Has spoilers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRU4PM1Ohc4

Jesus christ I wish these ADHD knobheads weren't so popular

I'll set up a settlement further south, build a little shack with some beds and see how that fares. I guess Sanctuary Hills is just too much of a rookie zone to be attacked.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

khy posted:

Dogmeat is actually not named by you. When you first meet the settlers in the history museum, you can talk to Mama Murphy and she'll tell you that Dogmeat (Whom she'll refer to by name specifically, so he must have had the name prior to joining up with the PC) joined you out of his own freedom of choice, that he's his own man, and that he's choosy about who his friends are. Presumably Dogmeat then has something of a history. It's not unheard of then that Nick could have known about Dogmeat from before he joins you at the Red Rocket.

She also tells you obliquely about the Deathclaw. "Something... BIG is coming. Attracted by the noise. I dunno what it is but it's MAD." etc etc.

(Not spoilered because it's like 10m into the game and also shows up in all the trailers)
Dogmeat is called Dogmeat whether or not you ever get his name to shift. Multiple NPCs will refer to him as Dogmeat during play even when he's named "dog" because you avoid murphy like the loving plague

flyingkiwi
Jun 1, 2012

Wowzers!
I cleared ArcJet Systems before I met Danse, it was just full of protectrons and turrets, and then he takes me there on a mission and we stand in the rubble and he says "Someone cleared this out already." And I'm like sh'yeah you're welcome but apparently it was synths

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Vasudus posted:

If you don't want to bother, just go into a settlement zone and type scrapall in the console. I'm about to start my third character and there's no loving way I'm doing whole settlement scrapping by hand anymore.

Need a dlc that just makes this an option on the workshop

e: does scrapall work on dropped items too?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Are there any other high level stores besides in Diamond City? Or hell, any stores at all really. I want to buy more static legendaries, and the armor selling wandering merchant that looks like Carl from ATHF has a shoddy inventory.

Entropic posted:

What even happens when a settlement gets attacked, if you're not there? Do settlers die? Does stuff you built get destroyed?
Stuff gets busted, sometimes people leave/die. I've never seen a dead settler personally - they seem to be pretty buff in most fights and will fall down and go incap then get back up. I have yet to have a suicider or some rear end with a fat man shoot into my settlement though so I think they just need to be overkilled..

Funky Valentine posted:

At first I was frustrated that I was running out of steel, but then I finally started breaking down all the pipe guns I've amassed and holy poo poo the drive-in didn't give me this much steel

Now wood is the tight resource, good thing there's plenty of picket fences in Sanctuary to break down.
Auto pipe guns break down into copper, which at level 40 has become one of the most valuable of resources. I ignore most weapons and armor but I know that auto receivers on pipe guns give copper so they get priority over everything but laser weapons (which break down into circuitry and rare turret-building poo poo :krad: ) Wood is easy as gently caress, just spam-pickup clipboards and hammers and poo poo.

Vasudus posted:

If you don't want to bother, just go into a settlement zone and type scrapall in the console. I'm about to start my third character and there's no loving way I'm doing whole settlement scrapping by hand anymore.
This is a great way to destroy all the containers in the area - you do realize that they'll respawn loot over time, right? :(

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Reveilled posted:

If you don't suggest using the dog, Valentine does, even if he's never seen your dog. He also knows the dog's name is dogmeat, even if you haven't named the dog. Then your dog teleports to the front door, magically. I'm curious what happens if you detour around the red rocket to avoid meeting the dog.

Turns out he was familiar with Dogmeat before you met him, Dogmeat is apparently a crime solving adventure dog who has helped Valentine enough that he knows a special way to call him(a dog whistle).

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

coyo7e posted:

This is a great way to destroy all the containers in the area - you do realize that they'll respawn loot over time, right? :(

Unless one of those containers is full of fusion cores, it's hardly like I'm going to re-loot my own settlements ever anyway :colbert:

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Zeron posted:

Turns out he was familiar with Dogmeat before you met him, Dogmeat is apparently a crime solving adventure dog who has helped Valentine enough that he knows a special way to call him(a dog whistle).

Turns out that is awesome and Dogmeat is the most competently written Bethesda companion ever. Especially his dialogue, it's definitely Bethesda's best work yet.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Dogmeat was completing sidequests before you got thawed out.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How long does it take for the vault-tec rep to show up at Sanctuary? It's been a few ingame days now.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
It's kind of lame that they went with "Dogmeat" again instead of letting you name the dog and just referring to him in the generic in VO

In general I kind of like the companions in this game tho, Nick and Hancock are cool

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
So I turned a settler into a Provisioner (supply line) to The Slog because The Slog wouldn't let me send one INTO the drive-in for some weird reason *is there maybe a cap? I've been firing my drive-in supply guys and then going to outlying settlements and replacing the drive-in provisioners ith ones heading in from the outlying town) and noticed that this particular NPC was carrying no less than 5 combat rifles, 3 pipe rifles, a few other random weapons plus the outdated but still heavily-modded 38 I'd renamed and then given her a couple days ago IRL. I think she was doing supply routes, so I guess your provisioners can pick up weapons from stuff they end up fighting with - so be sure to trade with them once in a while. ;)

I personally put them into combat armor with no underclothing so they stick out like a sore thumb when I fast-travel into a place and see one.

Azhais posted:

Unless one of those containers is full of fusion cores, it's hardly like I'm going to re-loot my own settlements ever anyway :colbert:
If you don't have supply lines going everydamnwhere, it's actually really handy to have a few coolers and toolboxes laying around when you're building up rudimentary stuff like defenses or recruiting relays.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
So I'm going to be making a shooty type for my third character. I have done full automatics + no VATS and melee. This is going to be either rifles or pistols with heavy luck + stealth poo poo, but I can't decide between the two. I really like the Gauss Rifle and there doesn't really seem to be a lot of pistol options, but pistols can get like a billion shots off in VATS. I'm torn.

Also, are there any companions besides Nick and Cait that can open things? I don't want to spec both lockpicks and hacking if I can avoid it, and I did cait my last playthrough. I'm also probably going to be murdering random dudes so it sounds like I'm hosed for companions :(

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Zeron posted:

Yesssss.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

In general I kind of like the companions in this game tho, Nick and Hancock are cool

I think that's one area this game beats even New Vegas in. I didn't really give a poo poo about any of the companions in NV, but I really like the crew here. It helps there's a bunch of them so that the boring ones get drowned out, and there's enough distinct personality types that you'll likely find someone you want to adventure with. I also like there's at least some effort put into them, where sometimes they'll even react to story stuff. Of course I wish there was more conversation from companions, but there was already more than I was expecting from a Bethesda game so, partial success?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Vasudus posted:

So I'm going to be making a shooty type for my third character. I have done full automatics + no VATS and melee. This is going to be either rifles or pistols with heavy luck + stealth poo poo, but I can't decide between the two. I really like the Gauss Rifle and there doesn't really seem to be a lot of pistol options, but pistols can get like a billion shots off in VATS. I'm torn.

Also, are there any companions besides Nick and Cait that can open things? I don't want to spec both lockpicks and hacking if I can avoid it, and I did cait my last playthrough. I'm also probably going to be murdering random dudes so it sounds like I'm hosed for companions :(
No point to high luck if you're ignoring VATS, since luck mainly influences your crit bar filling quickly. You will want the ammo scrounger perk maxxed ASAP and always though.

It's kind of lame that they went with "Dogmeat" again instead of letting you name the dog and just referring to him in the generic in VO

Dogmeat is sort of an immortal Fallout thing at this point, kind of like Harold but with less physical changes between games.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

It doesn't seem like there are many choices for high-level melee weapons in this game. I put the sacrificial blade mod from the unique machete onto one that has 40% lower AP costs and it hits as hard as an upgraded super sledge, gives 3x as many hits in VATS, staggers like the super sledge, procs bleed and hits at medium speed. Looking at the wiki it seems like the only thing better would be a machete with added damage to swap the sacrificial blade onto. I'd love a melee weapon that ignores armor but I don't think there are any, the only thing I've seen is the 4th level armor upgrade for arms that helps ignore some armor. Is there anything I'm missing for better performance than an upgraded machete, or something for piercing armor?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
There's a random legendary brand that ignores like 30% armor so you could just hope for one to drop.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

flyingkiwi posted:

I cleared ArcJet Systems before I met Danse, it was just full of protectrons and turrets, and then he takes me there on a mission and we stand in the rubble and he says "Someone cleared this out already." And I'm like sh'yeah you're welcome but apparently it was synths

This is one of the most frustrating about Beth games. Because sometimes you get actual reactions from your actions in the world, like some of the raiders groups actually commenting on places you already cleared out and talking poo poo on the raider leaders you killed. Or the Cabot House questline where the ghoul actually mentions if you killed the mercenaries protecting the Asylum. So you know Beth does care about that at some degree, but they keep missing out the opportunities.

The ArcJet quest would be great if you already had cleared the place + picked the item and when Danse gives you the quest he's just stunned that you did all the work already.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I gave my supply runners mailman outfits. Works pretty well!

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

coyo7e posted:

No point to high luck if you're ignoring VATS, since luck mainly influences your crit bar filling quickly. You will want the ammo scrounger perk maxxed ASAP and always though.

Dogmeat is sort of an immortal Fallout thing at this point, kind of like Harold but with less physical changes between games.

No no, my first character used automatics and ignored VATS. I'm going to do ~something~ with heavy VATS/luck use this time. Just can't decide between rifles or pistols.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i've put like 20-30 hours into this game, never used the power armor after that initial deathclaw fight

i probably should, but i just don't care for the ui. i know that's dumb but w/e

plus, i like the challenge. though i've been save scumming idiot savant rolls on quest reward xp, so i've got levels pretty early

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Any idea how to keep track of which settlements are being attacked or not? I randomly got a mission failed for Finch's Farm and had no idea they were being attacked.

Also, what's the main difference/s between a muzzle and a compensator (eg for hunting rifles)? They seem pretty similar.

cams posted:

i've put like 20-30 hours into this game, never used the power armor after that initial deathclaw fight

plus, i like the challenge. though i've been save scumming idiot savant rolls on quest reward xp, so i've got levels pretty early

Don't worry, I feel exactly the same way. :hf:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Any idea how to keep track of which settlements are being attacked or not? I randomly got a mission failed for Finch's Farm and had no idea they were being attacked.

Also, what's the main difference/s between a muzzle and a compensator (eg for hunting rifles)? They seem pretty similar.

They're under Misc. quests (annoyingly).

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Zodium posted:

They're under Misc. quests (annoyingly).

I swear, this game is unintuitive as poo poo.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

cams posted:

Nah it's fine. Depending on your play-style power armour isn't really that important. If you're getting by without and find the interface and crafting for it a slog then don't bother. I wore it once to the glowing sea, it felt cool, but I have never wanted to put it back on.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Vasudus posted:

No no, my first character used automatics and ignored VATS. I'm going to do ~something~ with heavy VATS/luck use this time. Just can't decide between rifles or pistols.

Either one should work fine. Just don't be like me and not put points into Agility and have no AP for anything. I had a sniper rifle that I couldn't even fire in VATS because one shot cost more than my entire bar. Rifles are going to be a bit more rough in the early game for a VATS build, but scale up much higher in the end game I believe. Pistols will generally give you more shots which generally means more criticals, but I can't think of any pistols that really amazed me.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Filthy Hans posted:

It doesn't seem like there are many choices for high-level melee weapons in this game. I put the sacrificial blade mod from the unique machete onto one that has 40% lower AP costs and it hits as hard as an upgraded super sledge, gives 3x as many hits in VATS, staggers like the super sledge, procs bleed and hits at medium speed. Looking at the wiki it seems like the only thing better would be a machete with added damage to swap the sacrificial blade onto. I'd love a melee weapon that ignores armor but I don't think there are any, the only thing I've seen is the 4th level armor upgrade for arms that helps ignore some armor. Is there anything I'm missing for better performance than an upgraded machete, or something for piercing armor?

What's this unique machete?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Vasudus posted:

I really have enjoyed my stealthy pistols play, pistols are nice and light compared to rifles and autos weighing 15-20+, and the 10mm is hard to stop using because it gets like 10-15 shots in VATS. Pistols give more shots in VATS overall due to weight I believe.

I do miss about every other shot at 200+ range w2ith my 50 cal suppressed pistol, haven't tested it against a rifle to see if rifles are more reliable at extreme ranges..

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Ok, why the gently caress can I murder all of Eustace Hawthrone's cats with no problem by her, but if I take her mac n cheese she starts freaking out?

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Seditiar posted:

Not sure if higher settlements get stronger attacks. Small farms of mine with 3 settlers (and 0 defense) will get attacked by something silly like 5 level 10 raiders or some poo poo. Would be cool if you can get huge synth/BoS/Super Mutant invasions. But I'm afraid we'll have to wait for mods (which will take months since GECK alone won't be released for at least another 2 months) or a DLC, which is even further away.

I don't think so, the last attack I actually decided to respond to was at a train station with 2 settlers and the enemy force was 5 super mutant brutes with triple barrel missile launchers and miniguns. The two generic women that lived there were immediately put down, but for some reason they were essential so I cleaned house and they just stood back up and returned to farming.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

BillmasterCozb posted:

Ok, why the gently caress can I murder all of Eustace Hawthrone's cats with no problem by her, but if I take her mac n cheese she starts freaking out?

Maybe they're just strays who happen to be there? :shrug:

Or it's Bethesda. Probably Bethesda.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

cams posted:

I didn't even know where the power armor was until I did a second character briefly. I kinda glazed over the conversation where it's mentioned, decided to leave to do other stuff, and when I came back and saw the deathclaw I just kept brute forcing it until I managed to get on the second floor of some building and plink away at it with my 10mm gun until it finally died.

I still barely use it unless it's an area where I get killed way too quickly, or where I'm fighting the Brotherhood and can just steal someone else's armor.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Maybe they're just strays who happen to be there? :shrug:

Or it's Bethesda. Probably Bethesda.

Bethesda is pro-cat murder.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

coyo7e posted:

Speaking of which, is Harold anywhere to be seen in 4? Or referenced at all?

khy fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 25, 2015

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

What's this unique machete?

Kremvh's Tooth, it's found in Dunwich Borers, has a crazy good mod to it that can't be made at a bench, but you can take it off and put it on a legendary machete to make something even better. It's pretty sick.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Protons posted:

Neat thing, you can literally walk away from conversations! You don't have to answer, just move your mouse and walk away from the character.

Guy wasn't complaining about being stuck in the conversation, he thought he had to join the Brotherhood of Steel to advance the plot. Not sure why.

Filthy Hans posted:

Kremvh's Tooth, it's found in Dunwich Borers, has a crazy good mod to it that can't be made at a bench, but you can take it off and put it on a legendary machete to make something even better. It's pretty sick.

I tried doing that but it wouldn't let me attach the mod to other machetes.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Protons posted:

Neat thing, you can literally walk away from conversations! You don't have to answer, just move your mouse and walk away from the character.

I did this when I realized that a conversation was going to end with me having accepted a quest to destroy the Railroad no matter what I said, and Kells started yelling at me to come back because the briefing wasn't over. It was actually pretty great.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Generation Internet posted:

I did this when I realized that a conversation was going to end with me having accepted a quest to destroy the Railroad no matter what I said, and Kells started yelling at me to come back because the briefing wasn't over. It was actually pretty great.
"You come back, McNulty! Or you can hand in your laser gun and power armor now and save me the trouble!"

*throws laser gun and power armor on desk*

*walks out without a word, with the chief ranting behind him*

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
I know CJacobs had a little rant on that same matter pages back. If you want to ask Danse for even basic explanation of why a thing happens, his dialogue is stuck on "Join the Brotherhood Y/N" until you relent and he finally gets on with it - could be intentional or just Bethesda not comprehending why someone would NOT join every faction on same character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What makes you think it isn't the same dog in all the games?

• Locked thread