Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

so iwa strying to update my bios and now it wont loving boot at all

did i brick my mobo stay tuned lmaoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Raluek posted:

That said, I hate how much work I have to do to it to make it function the way I want it.

This is a pretty powerful statement for me re: Windows, but maybe for not the reason most people say it. Let me give a short explanation:

With any other version of Windows, I had to spend maybe an average of 3 hours (an initial hour, plus maybe two hours the week after when I sporadically find stuff that I forgot) total setting it up the way I wanted. Changing start menu and taskbar behavior, going into the registry and disabling balloontips (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->SOFTWARE->MICROSOFT->WINDOWS->CURRENT VERSION->EXPLORER->ADVANCED, create new 32-bit DWORD value "enableballoontips", leave at 0), setting up WUpdate, installing the software I wanted, setting defaults, moving the default Music and Downloads folders to my second drive, changing the default folder sorts to Sort By: Type, Name, Date Modified, Date Created, etc etc etc, you get the picture.

With 10, I have spent (and will probably total) the same amount of time setting it up. But I'm not setting up the things I used to: the default for 10 are, in a lot of ways, the same as 8. And I know a lot of them aren't carried over from my 8 install, as this was a very, very recent reinstall of 8 and I have been so apathetic the last few weeks that I haven't set most things up. So, on the customer-facing side, I'm pretty happy out of the box.

Instead, I've spent the same amount of time disabling this, that, and the other thing, so I get the best of both the Windows 10 and the Windows 7 worlds (Speed and Simplicity).

It doesn't seem like a big change, but it is. The vast majority of people don't deviate from the defaults, and on the UI side, they finally have their poo poo together. On the default behavior side, however, I'm not so sure.

Enourmo posted:

so iwa strying to update my bios and now it wont loving boot at all

did i brick my mobo stay tuned lmaoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Any motherboard made in the last 5 years has pretty powerful BIOS recovery tools.

And by BIOS I mean UEFI.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

how does that help when i press the power button, the fans kick on, and then literally nothing else happens period?

E: also my motherboard is an EVGA X58 and it does not appear to have UEFI. so.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Pop the cmos battery out or try changing the jumper settings. Check yo manual.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Enourmo posted:

how does that help when i press the power button, the fans kick on, and then literally nothing else happens period?

E: also my motherboard is an EVGA X58 and it does not appear to have UEFI. so.

check if there's an LED on the MOBO flashing POST fail codes. if not, a speaker plugged into the motherboard should be beeping it's little heart out.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I really like 10 but then again I only use my computer for sporadic non tablet surfing and processing RAW files so I never get the chance to get spergy about it.

So basically Microsoft knows I only ever visit news.google.com, forums.soemthingawful.com and take pictures of birds. Sorry I'm so boring, NSA dude.

Pretty much this. People like to pretend what they do is so deep and meaningful to whatever it is that they do that they miss out on the larger picture that their life isn't as interesting as they'd like to think it is. I acknowledge this and installed win 10, no fucks given. Conversely if someone has a phone that starts searching things the moment they say "ok google" or "hey siri" the larger issue here is we have NSA listening devices on us 24/7 and a PC OS should be the least of their worries.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
On that mobo it should have a CLEAR CMOS button, or put the power button plug into the CLEAR CMOS button port. Or if you have a PS/2 keyboard you can hold INSERT at boot to run clean settings for one boot.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

christ alright i found the cmos button and now it seems to boot fine. gfoddammit that was a scare.

still having the original "not waking from sleep" issue i posted about but i guess now it'll have to wait til after thanksgiving because we're hosting and preparations have now Officially Started.

i just want my loving computer to work ffs.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

Enourmo posted:

christ alright i found the cmos button and now it seems to boot fine. gfoddammit that was a scare.

still having the original "not waking from sleep" issue i posted about but i guess now it'll have to wait til after thanksgiving because we're hosting and preparations have now Officially Started.

In before "should have bought a mac."
:rolleyes:

Do you have onboard video? Have you tried disabling it? Have you tried turning the monitor off and then on again (hp display port monitors at work sometimes don't wake up correctly)?
You can also usually change how deep of sleep the pc will go in the bios.

Windows 7 chat, I have a basically clean install on my htpc but am still randomly getting the logon screen even though I have gone through netplwiz and unchecked the password needed box. Where else can I look? Also after all the updates, it no longer boots to desktop in 15-25sec. It's closer to 45 now...

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Background check for Amazon Flex cleared. :woop: Basically I'll be a courier for Amazon's Prime Now service. Base pay of $18/hour.

Except for Thu, Fri, and Mon - $27/hr base. :stare: Nothing available for Thu or Fri (I think because they're switching to contractors instead of a courier service on Sunday), but I've scheduled myself for 10 hours on Monday.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm betting they changed the structure of the data stored in the RTC/NVSRAM settings area between the old firmware version and the new one and the new one got really goddamn confused by the nonsense it saw. Clearing it usually makes the checksum invalid in the process so the firmware knows it's garbage and that it should prompt you to change settings and save anyways, so it didn't try to use any of that info.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

mafoose posted:

Windows 7 chat, I have a basically clean install on my htpc but am still randomly getting the logon screen even though I have gone through netplwiz and unchecked the password needed box. Where else can I look? Also after all the updates, it no longer boots to desktop in 15-25sec. It's closer to 45 now...

Is it set to lock at any point in the power options panel? Like, "Turn screen off" at one hour but "lock screen" at 2 hours?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

mafoose posted:

Check your screen saver settings, there's a checkbox for "On resume, display logon screen"

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

mafoose posted:

In before "should have bought a mac."
:rolleyes:

Do you have onboard video? Have you tried disabling it? Have you tried turning the monitor off and then on again (hp display port monitors at work sometimes don't wake up correctly)?
You can also usually change how deep of sleep the pc will go in the bios.

I mean i know there's settings but everything was fine before I swapped the graphics card and i didnt touch those at all

and like i said all the fans fire up, and after a minute the computer resets. it's obviously trying to wake up but something's going wrong.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Hell, my newer motherboards can flash the BIOS while they are off. Crazy stuff.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

CommieGIR posted:

I remember the days of flashing 486 and Pentium BIOSes where you needed a DOS boot disk, hope you have the correct revision of motherboard (because the motherboard manufacturers websites were Engrish as gently caress) and a few Hail Marys

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Remember accidentally bending the gently caress out of the pins because you got the chip angled a little wrong in the socket?

Back in high school I was a lonely shutin nerd and used debug.exe to reverse engineer an entire IBM PC-XT BIOS for fun on a ski trip because I was too sick to ski. It was only 8192 bytes (contained in a 27C64 EPROM), so it didn't take as long as you'd expect.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

kastein posted:

Remember accidentally bending the gently caress out of the pins because you got the chip angled a little wrong in the socket?

I have a bunch of surgical tweezers I got from someone in middle school that I used for unbending pins. What a chore.

kastein posted:

Back in high school I was a lonely shutin nerd and used debug.exe to reverse engineer an entire IBM PC-XT BIOS for fun on a ski trip because I was too sick to ski. It was only 8192 bytes (contained in a 27C64 EPROM), so it didn't take as long as you'd expect.

I remember having to use a UV light to erase EPROMs to write new BIOS for older machines. I do not miss that.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

Geirskogul posted:

Is it set to lock at any point in the power options panel? Like, "Turn screen off" at one hour but "lock screen" at 2 hours?

I'll double check but I don't think so. Thing is, this is an older c2d machine so I don't let it sleep/hibernate. It (used to) boot about as fast as the TV so I would usually just turn it off.

It's like 3/5 power ups won't display it. It also didn't seem to matter is I go to the shutdown menu or turn it off through Kodi.

some texas redneck posted:

Check your screen saver settings, there's a checkbox for "On resume, display logon screen"

That is unchecked for sure.

CommieGIR posted:

I remember having to use a UV light to erase EPROMs to write new BIOS for older machines. I do not miss that.

Woah, I never new they did that on PCs, I did have to mess with it with old micro controllers.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Tusen Takk posted:

lol please don't tell me one of you guys bought me this

i'm gonna feel really bad that you didn't just adblock dogtrots

(if u did thanks <3)

U GONNA HACK TIME?!

CommieGIR posted:

Suicide Bomber comedy option:

Is that a car flying up into the air and then exploding (again)?
Hard to tell between the distance, image size, and shaky-cam.

fake edit: yep:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-detonate.html

CommieGIR posted:

I was astounded that our newer HP workstations can update their own BIOS over the internet, while in BIOS. No disks, USB boot drives, or anything required. Fortunately don't have to mess with it too much.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

My thanksgiving weekend has officially started you jerks! Next week the basement will finally be done after many thousands of :10bux: and I can finally do something automotive related. Going to look at getting a family hauler and I think I'm set on finding an Ecoboost Flex. The wife doesn't seems as thrilled but she will be. It's better than a van.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Enourmo posted:

It's a desktop, why should it ever sleep? Modern hardware should be pretty good at clocking down to minimal power use when idle. First thing I do on a desktop is disable automatic sleep, and then I never put it to sleep manually either.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I guess habit, for a while I had A) noisy rear end fans with dying bearings (5 of them) that B) wouldn't shut off unless I used the full-on hibernate option. The new ones are much quieter and I eventually found the relevant bios option so it's not an issue, but the inertia of habit is strong.

E: plus i live with my mom who eschews actual garbage bags in favor of (for our primary household trashcan mind you) a 1-gallon bathroom trashcan with grocery bags as liners in the name of saving money, if you dont think shes bitched at me for leaving the computer running no matter how little power it uses relatively then lmao.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Enourmo posted:

my mom who eschews actual garbage bags in favor of (for our primary household trashcan mind you) a 1-gallon bathroom trashcan with grocery bags as liners in the name of saving money,

I do this in my house. Forces you to be less wasteful, recycle more and not spend money on something you literally throw away.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

OTOH it's like $30 maaaaybe once a year.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
While I buy actual trash bags, I dont go crazy on getting fancy ones, but I do use grocery bags when ever I can. It does save a small amount of money and uses up all the bags that collect around here.

Though I need to bring my reusable bags to the store. I keep forgetting, and they offer a few cents off for bringing your own.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I pulled out the G27 tonight and loaded up Assetto Corsa for a few virtual laps around the Nurburgring in the Alfa Mito. Not fast by any means but hell of a lot of fun. Mostly because it's one of the few cars in the game I can actually drive well. :v:

Holy hell is AC murder on my CPU though. After half an hour of playing my CPU fan had ramped up to 6K RPM and the temp was hovering around 70C. :stare: It's a space heater of a CPU anyway (X6 1100T) and the stock cooler is probably all kinds of plugged up with dust.

On the up side, the new GPU allows me to turn on all the pretties.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Pham Nuwen posted:

It's a desktop, why should it ever sleep? Modern hardware should be pretty good at clocking down to minimal power use when idle. First thing I do on a desktop is disable automatic sleep, and then I never put it to sleep manually either.

My Kill-a-Watt shows that my desktop pulls about 30W while idling.

Though since I have multiple servers running on my desktop, and often access it when I'm not home, it stays on anyway. I think all of the network stuff probably pulls more power, TBH.

Enourmo posted:

I guess habit, for a while I had A) noisy rear end fans with dying bearings (5 of them) that B) wouldn't shut off unless I used the full-on hibernate option. The new ones are much quieter and I eventually found the relevant bios option so it's not an issue, but the inertia of habit is strong.

E: plus i live with my mom who eschews actual garbage bags in favor of (for our primary household trashcan mind you) a 1-gallon bathroom trashcan with grocery bags as liners in the name of saving money, if you dont think shes bitched at me for leaving the computer running no matter how little power it uses relatively then lmao.

Switch to low RPM 120mm fans, they move about the same amount of air as an average 80mm fan.

My stepdad uses garbage bags, but just dumps them into the outside trash can and puts the bags back into the can in the kitchen. He's immune to the smell, I guess.

Previa_fun posted:

Holy hell is AC murder on my CPU though. After half an hour of playing my CPU fan had ramped up to 6K RPM and the temp was hovering around 70C. :stare: It's a space heater of a CPU anyway (X6 1100T) and the stock cooler is probably all kinds of plugged up with dust.

70C really isn't that bad during gaming, as long as it's still being cooled. You should see what laptop CPUs run at. :laffo: My main laptop sounds like a drat hair dryer after a few minutes of Netflix. Surprisingly the tablet doesn't even get warm with Netflix, despite being fanless (though the CPU supposedly only uses 2 watts).

I think my other desktop (early i5) idles around 45C-50C with a stock Intel cooler. I haven't really loaded it up to see how hot it can get, the power supply in that PC would go up in smoke pretty quick if I did.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Gaming on my macbook, it would get up to 95*c, and the keyboard itself would get really fuckin hot.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Switch to low RPM 120mm fans, they move about the same amount of air as an average 80mm fan.

I've already got 120s.

5 of them.

And a big fuckoff 200mm on the top.

The original 120s were mostly noisy from the bearings though, the new ones are quiet enough that unplugging a few makes no appreciable difference in noise. And while I was loving around with it today I found that the big fan is just controlled by a switch, which was set to max speed; I set it to medium. I'd probably be fine with it off and just 2 or 3 small fans, but it's quiet enough now that I can tolerate it for the sake of ~55C cpu temps while gaming (at least I believe that's what the :catdrugs: LED display on my motherboard is displaying).

E: That's one thing when I do eventually get a new system, I want a smaller board as opposed to full ATX to run a case that's smaller, but still wide enough for 120s for that exact reason.

E2: also only tangentially related but my POS skullcandy headphones are now officially broken at less than a year old. Speakers still work but the plastic headband has given up the ghost remarkable fast.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 26, 2015

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

My Kill-a-Watt shows that my desktop pulls about 30W while idling.

So at an average of around 10 cents per kilowatt-hour, by my quick estimate it would cost $2.16 to idle your PC for a month.

We had to run a similar calculation when one of my college roommates bitched about our desktops being on all the time. We told him we'd buy him a beer every month and it'd even out.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Enourmo posted:

E: That's one thing when I do eventually get a new system, I want a smaller board as opposed to full ATX to run a case that's smaller, but still wide enough for 120s for that exact reason.

Yeah, i've never really needed a full ATX board, but up until the most recent generation, there weren't a whole lot of fully capable micro atx boards.

it seems silly we've been trapped for so long by cases needing to be wide enough for a DVD drive and tall enough for a full ATX board when both have been obsolete for so long.

My current computer has just been piecemeal upgraded for the last decade. It's time to retire the giant case to media server duty, and start fresh with a more reasonable form factor.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I built my current system around a Fractal Core Design 1000 case which is just about the perfect size, IMO. The only drawback is that it's not wide enough to fit some of the larger tower style CPU coolers.

I'm debating going smaller for my next build. I had a Shuttle back in the early-mid 2000s that I loved. My only concern is the case needs to be able to fit a full size GPU.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Powershift posted:

Yeah, i've never really needed a full ATX board, but up until the most recent generation, there weren't a whole lot of fully capable micro atx boards.

it seems silly we've been trapped for so long by cases needing to be wide enough for a DVD drive and tall enough for a full ATX board when both have been obsolete for so long.

My current computer has just been piecemeal upgraded for the last decade. It's time to retire the giant case to media server duty, and start fresh with a more reasonable form factor.

My previous rig was a Dell running a BTX board and it was pleasantly compact in comparison (measurements for giggles: 17.5" square, 7"wide, vs my current which is 20.5Dx22.5Hx8.5w. That's 2.1k ci vs 3.9k ci. my current one takes up nearly twice as much space. holy poo poo. [35.1L vs 64.2L, for you moon unit folks])

This one in particular is silly because... well.. Was built in 2009 for video editing so the 9 HDD bays were somewhat justified, as were the 6 RAM slots (for a whopping 12GB total lol) and 2 GTX 9800s running SLI.

For my basic browsing/gaming needs though it's way too big, and my one 5750 was more capable and less space-heatery than the 2 nvidias, nevermind my new 960. And I can do 16GB with just 2 ram slots now. Add maybe 1 ssd and keep my current HDD for bulk storage, and I could honestly fit my entire current setup into a case like this (E: or that fractal 1000, I like the no-frills look) with a micro ATX board no sweat.

Seriously look at those dumb blue LEDs my case came with. So obnoxious. At least the new fans got rid of most of them, and the remainders on the big 200 can be switched off.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Openreach pulled the cable from our hole in the ground to their manhole out on the main road, then installed the capping doodad on the front of the house yesterday. All being well we should get an engineer in within a week to connect our end inside the house then we'll have a landline :woop:

Which I don't give a poo poo about but it's compulsory if I want broadband and technically they can't even say if we can get it until a line is connected for them to test. I mean I can't even ask for internet until after the phone service is working! Here's hoping they can offer a reasonable speed and it doesn't take long from phone line connected to internet service, it'd suck doing Christmas without internet.

I mean it sucks already trying to do everything on phones but I'm so looking forward to Chromecast, and I need to get fallout 1 and 2 going again for which I need the laptop on Steam. Original disks are long lost :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Today was weird as poo poo.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
of course the hot girl at the bar who tells ms I'm cute works with me

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
as the saying goes, dip your pen in the company ink

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Adiabatic posted:

You can't write a good story with a dry pen, and buying your own ink gets expensive :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Adiabatic posted:

in my experience this is a terrible idea

• Locked thread