Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

OldSenileGuy posted:

Is there anywhere to check the remote battery level?

I think it said it will show you the battery level somewhere in the remote settings screen(s)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I do hope it will give you a warning when it's running low.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Yeah, this is quite annoying, but it's balanced out by the awesomeness of Siri + "go back/forward XX minutes/seconds"

Also, FWIW, I got the new ATV on day 1 and have used it pretty frequently since then, and have not had to charge my remote yet. Is there anywhere to check the remote battery level?

Yeah it doesn't make me hate the device or anything. Just sort of go "What the gently caress, did all Apple designers/testers just meticulously pick it up with tongs every time they tested it?!"

Endless Mike posted:

I do hope it will give you a warning when it's running low.

It gives you an on screen pop up when it connects, I don't see why that sort of UX wouldn't also be how it told you "Hey, battery is low".

Especially since OS X does the same type of thing with Mice and Keyboards.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I think the best thing is even if you accidentally scrub through what you're watching, the scrub bar will magnetically snap back to where you were when you get close to it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Feenix posted:

It gives you an on screen pop up when it connects, I don't see why that sort of UX wouldn't also be how it told you "Hey, battery is low".

Yeah, but maybe they just didn't think about it. I know it should be possible, but I don't think even the early dev units have been in the wild long enough for a battery to die.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, but maybe they just didn't think about it. I know it should be possible, but I don't think even the early dev units have been in the wild long enough for a battery to die.

Maybe they didn't. I'm just saying right now, not knowing, the evidence from other things lends to a favorable assumption. :)

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Has anyone used the new AppleTV with a Harmony? BestBuy has the Harmony 700 on sale for Black Friday and I'm curious about how they play together.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

canyonero posted:

Has anyone used the new AppleTV with a Harmony? BestBuy has the Harmony 700 on sale for Black Friday and I'm curious about how they play together.

I assume any non-Siri remote will lack Siri...?

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

canyonero posted:

I use a Harmony Hub and they work just fine. I still use the new remote though for what's its worth. It can learn the remote commands for whatever controls your sound so I just use that when I am using my ATV

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I have a Harmony connected to mine, but I still use the remote that came with it most of the time. The touch stuff works well, and it's got the Siri button and all.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, I have a Harmony, also, but never really use it.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Feenix posted:

Yeah it doesn't make me hate the device or anything. Just sort of go "What the gently caress, did all Apple designers/testers just meticulously pick it up with tongs every time they tested it?!"

It shows at least when there's ten percent left as a warning in the corner. It happened, ironically enough, during a demo we saw the the Apple Store while they were talking about battery life being great. So far I've not needed to charge mine since we bought it around a week after release and we use it every day.

Speaking of, the Bluetooth connectivity for the remote has been great so however they manage low power and sleeping the connection is really nice. Maybe motion detection? The tv brightening when I pick up the remote after a few minutes seems to indicate that.

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Nov 25, 2015

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Any TV apps that will stream a Thanksgiving Parade?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This thing is awesome except for the text input. It's such a pain in the rear end that I feel like I have to be missing an easier way.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

This thing is awesome except for the text input. It's such a pain in the rear end that I feel like I have to be missing an easier way.

It is. You're not.

It's been a month and Apple hasn't been able to rewrite the iOS remote app to support the loving ATV4 which is so ridiculous that there HAS to be something else going on behind the scenes.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 26, 2015

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
I feel that it's just them trying to force us to use the new remote, rather than throwing it in a drawer.

Aside from the App Store, the Siri remote is pretty much the most visible difference between the new Apple TV and the old model, so it's the easiest way of getting the idea of the *~ALL NEW~* Apple TV out there. Otherwise it's just the same thing with a slightly different skin. Look at your friends with their cool new Apple TV, they can yell at the remote to play Game of Thrones! You don't have to open the remote app to do a search anymore, Siri does it for you!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I vaguely remember you could pair a Bluetooth keyboard with the ATV3, is that not possible with the ATV4?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Surprised you can't Siri-voice-yell words into it.. I guess it'd be a lot of titles and proper names that wouldn't be easy to parse though.

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

e.pilot posted:

I vaguely remember you could pair a Bluetooth keyboard with the ATV3, is that not possible with the ATV4?

It is not possible. The remote app doesn't work either. Welcome to terrible text input.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

priznat posted:

Surprised you can't Siri-voice-yell words into it.. I guess it'd be a lot of titles and proper names that wouldn't be easy to parse though.

Even being able to spell aloud would be better.

radge
Jan 21, 2005

I don't even care about the whole remote functionality. Just give us an Apple TV keyboard app that does nothing outside text fields.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Siri voice recognition has worked flawlessly for me. I don't understand why it won't work in text input fields.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The Siri voice recognition has worked flawlessly for me. I don't understand why it won't work in text input fields.

Because then you'd have instances where you have fields that can and can't accept Siri input, unless you want to try to have Siri decipher your password, which is a bad idea for only a hundred reasons.

And honestly I just think that Siri isn't set up for specific input into fields; You're thinking of something more akin to OSX's dictation input.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Nov 26, 2015

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

You're thinking of something more akin to OSX's dictation input.

(Or iOS's dictation input.)

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
The Apple TV 4 feels surprisingly rushed for something that was rumored for years.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

(Or iOS's dictation input.)

Exactly. I say words, it types them. They wouldn't need or want to ditch the manual text input, but when in a text field i should be able to push the siri button and dictate the search terms.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oops I didn't realize there was an iOS dictation thing. That's fine then, I guess except if it's not done locally (I don't know whether it is or not), it sends the voice data to a remote server to actually determine the dictation which is problematic for passwords, so I guess one option is to enable dictation on any field that isn't a password but then you run into an issue with inconsistent text entry.

Which may be better than no dictation entry, but that's not my call to make.

edit: I'm just playing devil's advocate -- I want better entry as much as anyone.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
Seems silly to me that they didn't make one of the buttons a touchID sensor. Then, that could handle passwords and Siri/dictation could handle nearly everything else.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Is password re-entry a big deal? I think most just get entered once, so unless you sync from iCloud somehow it won't help to have a touch option for subsequent use.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Subjunctive posted:

Is password re-entry a big deal? I think most just get entered once, so unless you sync from iCloud somehow it won't help to have a touch option for subsequent use.

It's not a big deal but it's a step back from previous versions. With the addition of the App Store you're going to be logging in to more things because you're going to have more apps to log in to. An option of having the old method of text entry with the new remote would even be a welcome change. Scrolling through individual letters is such a pain.

If you have a harmony remote or a previous generation Apple TV remote you can use them with the atv4 just fine, and if you enter a text entry field with them you get the old style keyboard. The software for the old style keyboard is still there, it just doesn't let you use it with the new remote.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
MacRumors is reporting that an Amazon Prime app is upcoming in a few weeks, which is nice.

For those of us who still AirPlay Amazon Prime via an iOS device, the newest update to the app added something called XRay, where the screen of the device that's airplaying has all sorts of info on actors and trivia that changes scene by scene. It's very cool.

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king

GutBomb posted:

An option of having the old method of text entry with the new remote would even be a welcome change. Scrolling through individual letters is such a pain.

I strongly disagree with this.There's a weird App Store bug, triggered by scrolling left on the search screen, that gets you locked in the old text entry layout and it is a lot worse than the single-line keyboard on the touchpad remote. I sympathise with the complaint about not being able to enter text on your phone (would be perfect as a handoff activity when there is a text field on screen) but they definitely know what they are doing with the keyboard layout.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Lazyhound posted:

Can somebody test if audio works on the new Apple TV when AirPlaying a video podcast (e.g. MacBreak Weekly HD) from the podcast app on an iOS device at 1.5 or 2x?

Anyone?

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

Works in Pocket Casts, it speeds up the video as well. But starts lag behind the audio past 2x

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

milkaxor posted:

It is not possible. The remote app doesn't work either. Welcome to terrible text input.

The fact they still haven't fixed this yet is mind boggling

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

tofes posted:

The fact they still haven't fixed this yet is mind boggling

This is seriously one of the biggest reasons I haven't gotten an ATV4 yet.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

jawbroken posted:

they definitely know what they are doing with the keyboard layout.

No they don't. If they did it would, at the very least, wrap the gently caress around to halve the maximum distance between letters. Adding a second row would halve it again without going into terrible giant grid territory like previous ATVs.

There are plenty of consoles with good examples of better keyboards. This remote has accelerometers and they could even give you the option to type with an onscreen pointer like the PS4 (I think? It's been a while).

Subjunctive posted:

Every time I buy an app I have to enter my Apple ID password.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Choadmaster posted:

Every time I buy an app I have to enter my Apple ID password.

You can change this in settings.

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king

Choadmaster posted:

No they don't. If they did it would, at the very least, wrap the gently caress around to halve the maximum distance between letters.

I'm glad it doesn't. It's designed for you to roughly swipe to a letter and then refine it, and wrapping around on overshoot would be annoying, even though it would technically be a short distance back. Your suggestions make perfect sense to me for a device with a directional pad (like consoles and the old Apple TV), but not for a trackpad with momentum swiping. Two swipes gets me from one end of the alphabet line to the other, so reducing the average/maximum distance between subsequent letters isn't a goal I understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I can't think of any other devices with momentum-based swiping for text input, so I can see why it might confuse people.

Between this and "force touch" or whatever I feel like Apple has been coming up with good UI navigation techniques that are mostly going to confuse and frustrate people. Though they've done a better job of promoting and explaining force touch.

There should be a swiping tutorial or something for this (is there?)