Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Sir Kodiak posted:

I'm not great at puzzling out composition

It's okay, neither are the directors of the Marvel movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Sir Kodiak posted:

I'm not great at puzzling out composition, but it seems strange that their heads keep moving in and out of being lost in the grey space at the top of the frame rather than having their full height visible against the white portions.

If they are totally framed by the more lit areas they'll look a little less in stature. Having them break that plane gives them a bit more... mass in frame and makes their actions seem weightier.

Or something like that.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I was actually making fun of the arguments the men's right activists made against mad max but I guess I should have added :lol:

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Something something prison of action film conventions.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I never noticed it before but Bucky shield-checks Stark in the codpiece.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sir Kodiak posted:

I'm not great at puzzling out composition, but it seems strange that their heads keep moving in and out of being lost in the grey space at the top of the frame rather than having their full height visible against the white portions.

Iron Man = Jesus, Captain America = Peter, Winter Soldier = Judas Iscariot

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

BonoMan posted:

If they are totally framed by the more lit areas they'll look a little less in stature. Having them break that plane gives them a bit more... mass in frame and makes their actions seem weightier.

I don't feel like Jesus is diminished in stature in Leonardo da Vinci's take on the composition.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Sir Kodiak posted:

I don't feel like Jesus is diminished in stature in Leonardo da Vinci's take on the composition.

That's because Jesus isn't in motion you dolt. Immediately after that photo of Jesus was taken a food fight broke out and that composition was less than impressive.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BonoMan posted:

That's because Jesus isn't in motion you dolt. Immediately after that photo of Jesus was taken a food fight broke out and that composition was less than impressive.

That platter immediately in front of Jesus actually rebounds up into his face, then James frisbees it to Simon behind Jesus' back.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

BonoMan posted:

This is something that pops up in the Avengerses, where the composition works every few seconds in some scenes, with everything else just being an less nice-looking transition.

If I had to come up with a read of what's going on in Civil War, it's that Bucky and Steve are being made equivalent to the columns hemming Tony in. It puts the emphasis on Iron Man being trapped there rather than what the two of them, including the protagonist of the movie, are doing to him.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 26, 2015

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

That platter immediately in front of Jesus actually rebounds up into his face, then James frisbees it to Simon behind Jesus' back.

I'm gonna need a gif of this STAT

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Iron Man 2 sucked

Iron Man 3 SUCKED

Avengers 2 ... I can't remember already

but this gif is rad

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

I wonder how many takes they had to do to get it in the can. :ohdear:

I know that this 4 minute single cut fight scene from The Protector/Tom-Yung-Goong needed five takes because stunt props kept refusing to break, crash mats weren't in place in time, etc etc.. Since it took so long to reset between takes it took them an entire month to get it filmed.

Decided to brink Victoria discussion back from the grave as it's just gotten a limited release here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp8wcV3GjW0

I saw it yesterday, it's technically astounding, the plot is improbable from the start but I stopped caring halfway into the movie as it's just so perfect in every other aspect. To answer the question, it took them three takes, and all of them were technically ok, it's just that the director liked the third one the most. Chew on that while watching this movie.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
Civil War looks like it's 90% filmed in a parking lot. In the SAME parking lot. It just looks so...small and grey.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The_Master posted:

Civil War looks like it's 90% filmed in a parking lot. In the SAME parking lot. It just looks so...small and grey.

Hey now, at least 30% of it was filmed on some building's roof.

Edit: might be a multilevel parking garage roof

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

some of you guys are acting like action cinema doesn't have a history of making great use of industrial spaces, from T2 up through The Raid

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Hey now, at least 30% of it was filmed on some building's roof.

Edit: might be a multilevel parking garage roof

Painstakingly recreated in 3D parking garage roof I'll have you know

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

some of you guys are acting like action cinema doesn't have a history of making great use of industrial spaces, from T2 up through The Raid

Better Call Saul.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Better Call Saul.

i haven't seen that show yet, but the big parking lot action scene in Breaking Bad season 3 (i think) keeps coming to mind every time someone says "lol, why are they doing an action scene in a parking lot?"

the best action scenes in Winter Soldier were the ones taking place in relatively mundane locations (city streets, an elevator), whereas the worst one was the one that took place in a more fantastic comic-booky location (the big helicarrier climax)

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 27, 2015

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I think the equivalent scene in BCS is easily better.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I think the equivalent scene in BCS is easily better.

Remind me which scene this was again?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Please don't call Saul.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Maarak posted:

Remind me which scene this was again?

Episode 9, "Pimento". It's a little backstory and would be very slight if it weren't directed so well.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

T2 makes great use of industrial scenes
Avengers makes use of industrial scenes

See the difference?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

effectual posted:

T2 makes great use of industrial scenes
Avengers makes use of industrial scenes

See the difference?

i never defended the Avengers

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qnq7N6X4x84

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Reservoir Dogs if you want to go all the way.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Oops wrong thread**

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
You pissed Superman off, Ben.

You pissed him off REAL GOOD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6as8ahAr1Uc

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
50 Shades of Cape

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Gonz posted:

Something about the way that this was shot reminds me of the final fight (gods vs. titans) in Tarsem Singh's Immortals, which really just makes me wish Tarsem Singh actually made good movies besides The Fall. Give him not-lovely action movies to direct!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The Saddest Rhino posted:

basically, iron man 3 was the beginning of action movies (previously masculine movies) being emasculated by the presence of strong female characters with agency and do not need men to protect them

:confused:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I was actually making fun of the arguments the men's right activists made against mad max but I guess I should have added :lol:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
you picked a really weird movie to make that joke with, is all

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

you picked a really weird movie to make that joke with, is all

Okay.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

Gonz posted:

I haven't been paying attention to this movie at all. Are they creating basically new characterizations of Batman and Superman for this thing? Or is it just going to be really bad?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The Superman is the one from Man of Steel but the Batman is not the Batman from the Nolan movies. Thats the canon.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

confused posted:

I haven't been paying attention to this movie at all. Are they creating basically new characterizations of Batman and Superman for this thing? Or is it just going to be really bad?

Supercar's post is accurate, but something else that might be confusing you is that this clip is probably some kind of "What if?" scenario that depicts Batman's fear of an unchecked Superman, and we're most likely seeing it either because Batman's head is getting hosed with by Luthor or just because he's that paranoid. So if you're asking "Does Superman actually have an underground prison in the desert guarded by Super-Gestapo that he strides menacingly past in order to unmask Batman and then scowl at the cowl", the answer is "nah, probably not".

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

confused posted:

It looks like some sort of dream sequence that Batman is having.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
The official subtitle for Batman V Superman really should've been "Scowl At The Cowl".

• Locked thread