Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The cooler KS was loving insane, they raised over $13 million. I'm not surprised that they ran into trouble since they were probably expecting to have to ship 300 or so coolers (based on their initial $50,000 goal) but ended up with about 60,000 orders.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ryangrepper/coolest-cooler-21st-century-cooler-thats-actually/description

With proper planning, their fixed costs should go down in a situation like this. They seem to have either hosed up the pricing or misspent the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The cooler KS was loving insane, they raised over $13 million. I'm not surprised that they ran into trouble since they were probably expecting to have to ship 300 or so coolers (based on their initial $50,000 goal) but ended up with about 60,000 orders.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ryangrepper/coolest-cooler-21st-century-cooler-thats-actually/description

Isn’t the point that they should only offer a cooler at a donation level that will pay for that cooler at the very least? Like maybe i’m misunderstanding how complicated running this poo poo is, but that sounds like the loving basics. Charge people an amount to pay for what you’re making for them. It shouldn't matter if 300 are ordered or 300,000.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Some people may be prepared to make relatively small runs but have no idea how to get large scale manufacturing set up, but if you get 8 figures that is easily solved by hiring someone with experience in getting large scale manufacturing set up.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

CodfishCartographer posted:

Isnt the point that they should only offer a cooler at a donation level that will pay for that cooler at the very least? Like maybe im misunderstanding how complicated running this poo poo is, but that sounds like the loving basics. Charge people an amount to pay for what youre making for them. It shouldn't matter if 300 are ordered or 300,000.

Kickstarter doesn't require you to accurately price what it costs to make things before you start a campaign.

I can launch a kickstarter to make a $6 smartphone right now

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

theflyingorc posted:

Kickstarter doesn't require you to accurately price what it costs to make things before you start a campaign.

I can launch a kickstarter to make a $6 smartphone right now

It'd be an easy sell too. "We're using the guts of old discarded/recycled smart phones, but with our new industry-changing software, to bring you a smartphone for under $10! Not only a good product, but good for the environment."

Then take the money and run after posting a few "We're so close! Just a few more months!" updates.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Isn’t the point that they should only offer a cooler at a donation level that will pay for that cooler at the very least? Like maybe i’m misunderstanding how complicated running this poo poo is, but that sounds like the loving basics. Charge people an amount to pay for what you’re making for them. It shouldn't matter if 300 are ordered or 300,000.

Volume pricing for components will drop for larger orders because you can subsidize non recurring costs across a large order.

The real problem seems to be that they were originally projecting that they would ship all units by the summer.

They're having some supply chain issues with the blender, which means they're sitting on tens of thousands of mostly completed units, waiting for the last component in before the build can be done and shipping finished product.

Not much you can do except look for an alternate supplier and curtail operations until you can finish product, short of bankruptcy.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Isn’t the point that they should only offer a cooler at a donation level that will pay for that cooler at the very least?

Even disregarding the obvious answer that "they are idiots and had no clue what the lovely box would cost," there's also a legitimate scenario where that's not the case.

Say I have $50000 I want to invest in making $500 hipster wallets with iPhone apps. I need, say, $250000 to get going. Now I can loan the remaining $200k in the bank and be down $250k when I realize nobody wants that poo poo in the real world. Alternatively, I can get investors which then own a large part of iHipsterWalletCo once we're a billion dollar enterprise spreading out to hipster iPhone apps with matching wallets.

Or I can go on Kickstarter and sell my lovely wallet for $400. With a goal of $200000 I could sell my $400 shitwallet to 500 hipsters who somehow got hold of their parents' credit cards and prove there's a market. I would get my $200k and could get enterprising. I would ship the 500 purchased wallets which would cost me $250000 to make, but I'd still have the production apparatus set up for when all the hipsters recommend the amazing wallet that's so small you need an app to find it to their friends, who could then buy it for $600.

It would all work out great except for the minor flaw that hipsters have no friends to recommend it to.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

klafbang posted:

Even disregarding the obvious answer that "they are idiots and had no clue what the lovely box would cost," there's also a legitimate scenario where that's not the case.

Say I have $50000 I want to invest in making $500 hipster wallets with iPhone apps. I need, say, $250000 to get going. Now I can loan the remaining $200k in the bank and be down $250k when I realize nobody wants that poo poo in the real world. Alternatively, I can get investors which then own a large part of iHipsterWalletCo once we're a billion dollar enterprise spreading out to hipster iPhone apps with matching wallets.

Or I can go on Kickstarter and sell my lovely wallet for $400. With a goal of $200000 I could sell my $400 shitwallet to 500 hipsters who somehow got hold of their parents' credit cards and prove there's a market. I would get my $200k and could get enterprising. I would ship the 500 purchased wallets which would cost me $250000 to make, but I'd still have the production apparatus set up for when all the hipsters recommend the amazing wallet that's so small you need an app to find it to their friends, who could then buy it for $600.

It would all work out great except for the minor flaw that hipsters have no friends to recommend it to.

Ahh okay, that actually does legitimately make sense.

Assuming, of course, that it wasn’t just them being idiots with no clue what the lovely box would cost.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

klafbang posted:

Note that the current retail price for the Coolest Cooler is $499 but they were offering it as a pledge reward in their Kickstarter for just $185 (+ $15 P&P) and at the time they thought that the retail price would only be $299.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Yes,$15 to ship a 30 pound cooler is reasonable.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
Man, the word "hipster" really has become meaningless.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

quote:

Hey, beachgoers! You’re not fooling anyone by hiding your wallet and keys in your shoes. Keep them hidden from view (and your Coolest speaker company) in the built-in Accessory Deck compartment. Keeps everything safe and dry, not to mention it has a pretty covert, James Bond vibe to it.

Yeah, that way you can lose your $500 cooler and $600 iPhone all at once.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I still think a cooler with a built in blender sounds awesome, but not $500 awesome

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If I can give them anything, Coolest is kind of a clever name to give a cooler with a lot of features.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

prahanormal posted:

Man, the word "hipster" really has become meaningless.
"Hipster" is just the 21st-century way of saying "goddamned kids these days."

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

TetsuoTW posted:

"Hipster" is just the 21st-century way of saying "goddamned kids these days."

I really use it for just artsy fartsy assholes who are totally working away at the next great American novel.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
So I came across this article about this kickstarter for color changing workout shirts ending up with an Attorney General's suit.

It's the usual crap you see for failed kickstarters, from a quick glance, but I was curious about people in the comments blaming kickstarter for ending up getting them involved in "another failed kickstarter". I'm of the opinion that, although kickstarter should maybe do more to vet their poo poo, it's probably on you if you get super scammed by a kickstarter, multiple times, right?

I mean, this shirt company, in August of this year, offered a free shirt to people:

quote:

We are preparing to ship out the remaining orders. In addition I’m proud to announce that you will receive your free Radiate 2.0 shirts in late November 2015. The promotional code is “thermalvision”. So just enter in the code at the checkout. This offer will expire at the end of next week which is August 28th.
They also said they'd refund shipping on the free shirt if it didn't ship by November. This is two years after estimated delivery. Two years! And yet, from their facebook:

quote:

I can't believe I fell for this and paid shipping on yet another shirt I will never receive. I'm a dope. So so sad.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

While I do think Kickstarter should be responsible for obvious scams/impossible projects like that laser razor, you really do need to do your own research and critical thinking.

Are you backing a product that already exists in some form, just needs funds to get to you like a book, comic, music album? Does the creator have previous successfully fulfilled projects or can stick to and finish a project? If worse comes to worse, can you afford the 20/50/1200 bucks you're giving away?

I've only had one dud pledge in the time I've been using it, I mostly just back comics that are collecting funds for a print run. If you want a magic color changing shirt or an awkward e-ink typewriter go ahead, but don't be surprised if it doesn't pan out.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Holy poo poo this is the stupidest loving thing I've ever seen. Just turn wifi off on your computer.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"How to annoy everybody around you: A mechanical keyboard for use on-the-go"

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Anyone remember that typewriter stand for the iPad that got Kickstartered? Instead of a type head to strike against ink and paper, it would spring a Stylus thing at your iPad screen where the matching virtual keyboard key was.

Only within a year or two of the device coming out, Apple shifted the onscreen keyboard around and there was no way to alter the typewriter thing to match up again.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

fishmech posted:

Anyone remember that typewriter stand for the iPad that got Kickstartered? Instead of a type head to strike against ink and paper, it would spring a Stylus thing at your iPad screen where the matching virtual keyboard key was.

Only within a year or two of the device coming out, Apple shifted the onscreen keyboard around and there was no way to alter the typewriter thing to match up again.

Oh my god. If that's true this made my night

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Spaced God posted:

Oh my god. If that's true this made my night

I found references to the device (a lot of them) but no indication that it ever went to Kickstarter, or was ever meant to be anything but a silly thing made by the creator.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's weird I remember reading about it in this thread, but can't find the kickstarter now.

Found this, though.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1424905865/wireless-typewriter

quote:

* I give Apple and Google the full rights to this idea if they decide that they enjoy it. The images were selected off of Google's search page and I do not know the original owners of the images or how to find them to give them credit.

Any money raised on here will get directly sent to support the Bernie Sanders for President 2016 Campaign. He needs as much support as he can get before the Democratic Party presidential primaries.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
I don't think I've seen something be triple suspended before.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Risks and challenges

Listen baby, ain't no mountain high,
Ain't no valley low, ain't no river wide enough baby
If you need me call me, no matter where you are,
No matter how far; don't worry baby
Just call my name; I'll be there in a hurry
You don't have to worry

- Sang in the incredible voice of the Prince of Soul, Marvin Gaye

(No risk or challenges are too big)

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

"Has no concept of risks, challenges, or reality" should be the biggest damned red flag on a Kickstarter. Instead people seem to think it's cute and inspirational. People are loving stupid.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Kickstarter is "give me money and I might make this, I dunno whatever" not a preorder system.

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Crust First posted:

So I came across this article about this kickstarter for color changing workout shirts ending up with an Attorney General's suit.

Why the hell would you need a color changing shirt?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Nirvikalpa posted:

Because it's what people from the future in 70s and 80s sci-fi movies would wear, duh.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Nirvikalpa posted:

The Kickstarter marketed it as a way to see exactly how much heat you put off during a workout and thus determine what muscles are being worked on. Which honestly sounds both immensely sketchy and like something a cheap thermal camera would do a better job of (with the added benefit of not making it look like you doused your shirt in a sports drink).

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

:shrug:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Only 90's kids, etc etc

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

senrath posted:

The Kickstarter marketed it as a way to see exactly how much heat you put off during a workout and thus determine what muscles are being worked on. Which honestly sounds both immensely sketchy and like something a cheap thermal camera would do a better job of (with the added benefit of not making it look like you doused your shirt in a sports drink).

Yeah, all this means is you're forcing yourself to work out in a shirt, which is restrictive as hell, just buy some of those nanobots that embed into your muscles and wifi to your iPhone the level of damage.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Just what I need at the gym: A shirt that accentuates my sweat patterns.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

TetsuoTW posted:

"Has no concept of risks, challenges, or reality" should be the biggest damned red flag on a Kickstarter. Instead people seem to think it's cute and inspirational. People are loving stupid.

Backers see themselves.

wit
Jul 26, 2011
Alternate use for this material: Sex offenders must wear trousers made of it when walking through parks to give hi-vis alerts of their inappropriate erections. It'd make their dicks like one of those magic swords from lord of the rings; glows blue when kids are near.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm not sure giving pedos a dick mounted child radar is such a good idea.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

QUACKTASTIC posted:

I'm not sure giving pedos a dick mounted child radar is such a good idea.

It's more like a dick-mounted pedo flag. It doesn't point out children, it points out when pedos are getting inappropriate thoughts about children.

Which is a whole different kind of frightening, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

fishmech posted:

iOS supports custom keyboard apps, yes? Just write an app to put the keys wherever's convenient for the typewriter thing.

Meanwhile, the Roboroach, the thing advertising DIY cockroach cyber-surgery, appears to be doing healthy business:

https://backyardbrains.com/products/roboroach