Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Lightning Lord posted:

Well, I was talking about things that matter. In terms of old school D&D communities, compared to your average homophobic Your Dungeon Is Suck reader, DCC has managed to cultivate a pretty diverse and inclusive player base. When the day is over, 4e is just a game. Yes, it's one that was unfairly maligned, and I'm the first to argue it's merits when "4E IS WOW" poo poo comes up. But is it necessary to be so precious and tender about it? Interpreting "The book burning cultists represent how 4e burned my company wocka wocka wocka" as signifying some sort of urge to expunge everyone who doesn't agree with Joe Goodman is kind of uncharitable on your part.

Personally I blame Bryce Lynch, that book burning fucker.

Honestly in the end I don't care how you feel about this whole situation. I'm just quite frustrated about it, and I am mad at Joe Goodman for thinking it was a good cool story when 4e is such a charged topic. Most of the DCC players I know don't give a gently caress about it either way.

This too.

Why was it necessary for him to talk about how important it was to him that there be burning 4e books?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

ElegantFugue posted:

Why was it necessary for him to talk about how important it was to him that there be burning 4e books?

It wasn't. I just don't think the game or the community should be shitcanned for it.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Lightning Lord posted:

It wasn't. I just don't think the game or the community should be shitcanned for it.

How have the responses of "well I'm not interested in this game any more" been a shitcanning, particularly of the community rather than the author?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
I think it's perfectly valid to say "That was seriously unprofessional, and I don't want to do business with this guy."

It's also perfectly valid to say "It was kind of lovely, but it's a good product and I still want to support it."

I personally didn't back, but if you decided to, it's your money. I think everyone here agrees it was stupid of Goodman to post that poo poo, but it's not so horrible that I think less of anyone who decided to back.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The guy who created Cards Against Humanity has a kickstarter going for a new game called Secret Hitler. It looks kinda like The Resistance

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/maxtemkin/secret-hitler

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

boom boom boom posted:

The guy who created Cards Against Humanity has a kickstarter going for a new game called Secret Hitler. It looks kinda like The Resistance

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/maxtemkin/secret-hitler

The theme is stupid, but it sounds like it might be interesting.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
I was going to back until that update. Fantasizing about book burning is weird and I'd rather not support that even if the game is rad. Guess I'll have to wait for the 5th printing.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
DCC seems like a good game and I like Goodman's stuff, I stuck with my newbie pledge despite the lovely edition war stuff because it looked like a good product made by decent enough dudes despite it.

That said I did put my name as '4th Edition's Dark Shadow'.

Also yea I'm the same as the other guy, I have no clue what I actually wound up getting with the 'new to DCC' level, I know what the basic pledge was, the book, a rando adventure, and some little misc goodies, but I have no clue what stretch goals I get without adding more money or whatever. Oh well, I mainly care about the book so the rest is just gravy.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

DCC seems like a good game and I like Goodman's stuff, I stuck with my newbie pledge despite the lovely edition war stuff because it looked like a good product made by decent enough dudes despite it.

Also yea I'm the same as the other guy, I have no clue what I actually wound up getting with the 'new to DCC' level, I know what the basic pledge was, the book, a rando adventure, and some little misc goodies, but I have no clue what stretch goals I get without adding more money or whatever. Oh well, I mainly care about the book so the rest is just gravy.

all of them. all the stretch goals were free to physical backers. like the campaign said

edit:

quote:

1. The blue cover edition of the book
2. A free adventure module (DCC #66.5: Doom of the Savage Kings)
3. Some free swag! (material to help set up a new group and new players)
4. All the Stretch Goals:
-Upgrades for the book (two sewn-in satin ribbon bookmarks, a color dust jacket, two built in judge's panels, gilded page edges and thumb tabs)
-A pocket folder
-Sticker sheets
-Bookmarks
-Some Custom-printed pencils
-A Custom-printed Dice Bag
-A notepad of 0-Level character sheets
-Updated Judge's screen (not attached to the book)
-3 custom D6
-6 reprinted modules:
DCC #71: The 13th Skull
DCC #75: The Sea Queen Escapes
DCC #76: Colossus, Arise!
DCC #78: Fate's Fell Hand
DCC #79: Fronzen in Time
DCC #69: The Emerald Enchanter plus The Emerald Enchanter Strikes Back

alg fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 25, 2015

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I'm not sure why people are still complaining about the 4e guy fantasizing about book burning, when Max Tempkin has created a game where the players are supposed to play as the literal book-burner, Hitler. Far more troubling, IMO.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Lightning Lord posted:

You've managed a pretty cool feat: taking an incident of a guy basically yelling "your favorite sports team sucks!" at some of his customers and turning it into a referendum on their reaction. Newflash: I get to be "precious" and "tender" and "uncharitable" if you exploit your business connection to send me an email that's 6 paragraphs of destructive fantasies about something I enjoy and then let your lovely audience publicly espouse a 2-minute hate in the comments. The game is fine, I'm simply not going to let Goodman pretend he's Mr Inclusive Community Happy Funtime without some pushback. Deal with it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

boom boom boom posted:

I'm not sure why people are still complaining about the 4e guy fantasizing about book burning, when Max Tempkin has created a game where the players are supposed to play as the literal book-burner, Hitler. Far more troubling, IMO.

Max Temkin making a lovely card game is like telling people the sky is blue and water is wet. Goodman's whole "Haha boy isn't this Kickstarter great, hey did I tell you how buttmad I am about 4E, here's a story about how I really wanted to have art of burning 4E books in my game until the artist told me they couldn't get the detail I wanted, haha, but we're just here to have fun" story came out of left field, at least it did to me.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
This is neat, they've released a free print and play edition of Secret Hitler

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/maxtemkin/secret-hitler/posts/1426121

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mojo Jojo posted:

The theme is stupid, but it sounds like it might be interesting.

It's basically the Resistance/Werewolf with a new coat of paint, so the theme is all that counts, and IMO it's appropriate in the context of the liberals historically handing power over to the far-right whenever the left is gathering strength, but then they're playing chicken with putting a totalitarian madman in office.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

You've managed a pretty cool feat: taking an incident of a guy basically yelling "your favorite sports team sucks!" at some of his customers and turning it into a referendum on their reaction. Newflash: I get to be "precious" and "tender" and "uncharitable" if you exploit your business connection to send me an email that's 6 paragraphs of destructive fantasies about something I enjoy and then let your lovely audience publicly espouse a 2-minute hate in the comments. The game is fine, I'm simply not going to let Goodman pretend he's Mr Inclusive Community Happy Funtime without some pushback. Deal with it.

Yeah, it's cool, I'm just frustrated about the whole drat thing, confronting the wrong people. Don't worry about it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I put mine in as "Colonel Spliffington". I also found a pretty great accessory I wanna order:

I mentioned the idea of getting back into rpgs to some friends of mine and a bunch of them were into it. I read a bit of the pdf they sent out last night and it does seem like what I was looking for. Sadly we are still stuck with the "no one wants to DM" issue that seemed to always kill the lets play a game interest. I assume I am going to have to step up, although someone did jokingly suggest we put a "DM Wanted: Will pay" add up on craigslist.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

boom boom boom posted:

Pretending to be hitler is like 90% of my hobby

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The other 10% is pretending to be stalin

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

bunnielab posted:

I mentioned the idea of getting back into rpgs to some friends of mine and a bunch of them were into it. I read a bit of the pdf they sent out last night and it does seem like what I was looking for. Sadly we are still stuck with the "no one wants to DM" issue that seemed to always kill the lets play a game interest. I assume I am going to have to step up, although someone did jokingly suggest we put a "DM Wanted: Will pay" add up on craigslist.

If you put up the Craigslist add be specific on what you're looking for unless you want a bunch of people applying to manage your sex dungeon... or worse, GM GURPS :v:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

bunnielab posted:

Be adults and rotate DMing. Everyone will be playing rather than DMing most of the time.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

bunnielab posted:

The thing about a rules-comprehensive game combined with an adventure module is that it can remove a lot of the pressure of being a DM: the plot is already written for you, the encounters and mechanics are already written for you, you just have to interpret them.

Especially when you combine it with a pre-game discussion with your group that that's the sort of thing you're doing so that they'll understand if there are some things you're going to gate off for the sake of not having to make up something that's too far afield from what you're "refereeing"

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

homullus posted:

Be adults and rotate DMing. Everyone will be playing rather than DMing most of the time.

Yawp. The way the adventures are set up you can each GM a short adventure and have your character become a hireling someone else manages.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tekopo posted:

Pretending to be hitler is like 90% of my hobby

Same, but my 10% is anime Hitler. Female anime Hitler.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Wow, Goodman already sent a bunch of PDFs. Crazy. Happy Thanksgiving, eh?

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

To be fair, most of the text on this stuff was done ages ago. I imagine the majority of the Kickstarter money is going towards printing costs.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea all the PDFs already existed, the kickstarter is for actually printing them. Still, nice to not have to wait!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Kwyndig posted:

If you put up the Craigslist add be specific on what you're looking for unless you want a bunch of people applying to manage your sex dungeon... or worse, GM GURPS :v:

Anyone looking to be a sex Dungeon manager is gonna be kinda disappointed when they show up to a house full of stoned middleage dudes.

gradenko_2000 posted:

The thing about a rules-comprehensive game combined with an adventure module is that it can remove a lot of the pressure of being a DM: the plot is already written for you, the encounters and mechanics are already written for you, you just have to interpret them.

Especially when you combine it with a pre-game discussion with your group that that's the sort of thing you're doing so that they'll understand if there are some things you're going to gate off for the sake of not having to make up something that's too far afield from what you're "refereeing"

This never occurred to me, I'm so used to rule systems where a high level of system mastery is needed to really run a game. Or being 15 and just thinking you actually understand it.

The only bummer is that I am pretty sure that the books will not arrive with that musty used book smell that my brain so strongly links to RPG books.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Has anyone posted about Dungeon Solitaire yet?

It's basically a dungeon exploration game designed to use a deck of cards as the event trigger. The author (Matthew Lowes) published a version that uses a standard 52-card deck a while back for free on his website here if anyone wants to check it out. The kickstarter is for a revised version designed to use a full tarot deck with new rules for the major arcana, and (if you wish to pledge) custom physical cards as well. The cards are just a standard tarot deck, but in my opinion they look really hot, and something you could probably find a way to rationalize using in regular roleplaying if you wanted.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

If you want to wank together a bunch of photos and then filter it all to crap, at least use the same set of filters on the whole image. The lions and the flower are particularly incongruous with the rest of the image.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I'm the hand that's not gripping the wand at all and is at the completely wrong angle to be doing so.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That art really reminds me of the stuff in the Paper Sorcerer CRPG.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The last RPG card deck I backed has been 'in the process of looking into refunds' for like half a year now so no thanks.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
lol new av?

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
I'm surprised nobody in this thread or the Glorantha one has posted about this yet, but Moon Design / Chaosium is re-releasing Runequest 2E in hardcover form to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Chaosium and the 50th anniversary of the Glorantha setting:

RuneQuest: Classic Edition Kickstarter posted:

In July of 1978, the Origins Game Fair was held in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Over 3500 people attended what was the largest gaming convention in the US at that time. In the main hall gamers could pick up the latest games from all the major publishers: Cross of Iron by Avalon Hill, Atlantic Wall by SPI, and The Hall of the Fire Giant King module by TSR. In one small booth near a corner you could also purchase RuneQuest, the first Roleplaying game published by The Chaosium, a quirky 3 person company from the Bay Area. It sold out over the weekend, and every print run continued to do so for the next several years.

RuneQuest took the young world of roleplaying games by storm; it cast aside many of the approaches most other games took. It had no character classes, no experience points, no levels, and far fewer restrictions on how weapons, armor, and spells could be used. Instead of a D20 it uses a percentile 01-100 system. It also has the built-in fantasy world of Glorantha.

During what many consider to be the golden age of roleplaying, the second edition of RuneQuest enjoyed its greatest popularity, second only to AD&D in sales. It won numerous awards, starting in 1978 with the Strategist’s Club Award for “Outstanding Miniatures Rules”, which may sound quirky, but that was because the industry had yet to create award categories specifically for roleplaying games.

The second edition went out of print in 1983, and the rules went on to be licensed to a series of other companies that published several more editions, but sometimes fate has a funny way of having things come full circle...

Here we are in 2015, the 40th Anniversary of Chaosium as a game company. In a few months Glorantha, Greg Stafford's fantasy game world, celebrates its Golden 50th anniversary. We feel the time is right to bring the celebrated classic second edition of RuneQuest back into print. Gaming is going through a bit of an Old School renaissance as of late, and we want RuneQuest to be a part of it. We hope you’ll join in on the fun!

The KS rewards seem pretty neat and achievable (they're already over twice their goal), and the high-end reward stuff includes things like "a 250+ page hardcover copy of the original playtest rules and notes" and "previously unpublished material" if you're nuts about Chaosium or Glorantha.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Chaosium doesn't have a great track record with kickstarters.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

alg posted:

That's part of why Sandy Peterson and...the other guy who used to run the company and whose name I forget took it back over.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

quote:

That's part of why Sandy Peterson and...the other guy who used to run the company and whose name I forget took it back over.

Also I think, technically, Moon Design is running this kickstarter.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

West Wind productions is running a part II for the War & Empire series, expanding the Legions of Rome. Though, I guess there's already going to be a lot more competition for 15mm Romans, compared to the other historical armies they funded the first time.

Still, it's already funded at 24 days to go, with the Dacian stretch goal done, and the Picts and Scots Irish next.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Nov 29, 2015

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Holy gently caress the DCC survey on a smartphone. Hold down button until it's 0, repeat sixty times.

Also I have no idea how the gently caress you're supposed to get the cool aliens cover as a first time guy. I just asked for it in the last question, maybe that's how?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

moths posted:

Holy gently caress the DCC survey on a smartphone. Hold down button until it's 0, repeat sixty times.

Also I have no idea how the gently caress you're supposed to get the cool aliens cover as a first time guy. I just asked for it in the last question, maybe that's how?
Yeah, the last question works for that.

• Locked thread